BFTG Brentford

193 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Brentford

by CountryRoyal » 21 Jan 2018 09:45

Royality creeps In
RoyalBlue Some our our fans are just as fixed in their views as they accuse Stam of being.

The hatred of everything associated with JvDB being a case in point. We had a 'neutral' with us who was impressed by JvDB vision and passing at points during the game. His booking was exceptionally harsh, given some of the pull backs and challenges that the ref allowed to go before and after. Once booked so early, JvDB was at a distinct disadvantage given his competitive and battling nature.

Your on a wind up or don't understand football!

RB is the most blinded RTG out there - to the point of being either delusional or purposely antagonistic beyond reason.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 21 Jan 2018 09:46

Having listened to Stams after match comments;
1. He clearly thinks we have a poor squad - he said as much
2. I think he believes he took a squad of no hopers last year and got them to the play-off final
3.He is so up his own backside that I think he thinks if we survive he has done a marvellous job.

The facts however suggest a different story;
1. We had a good squad last year and should have been near the play-offs at least
2. We made the final mainly due to two things. Al Habsi saved us in many games. Kermogant was on fire
3. We have spent the sort of money that should have given us a squad to get into the play-offs this year

Problem now is I think we have a delusional manager and a squad full of individuals that is out of balance.

Until Stam sees the problems and tries to make the system fit the squad rather than the other way round we look like going back to the old days of battling it out in the lower divisions with poor crowds and no money.

Unkind as it might seem it looks like Stam is not that worried. He can depart and seek other opportunities blaming the failure on his players

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 21 Jan 2018 09:56

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? We've got this with Stam. Change the system, let's have more urgency and tempo and give up on this boring turgid way of playing. I'm a season ticket holder but won't be back until something changes.

Silverfox

by Silverfox » 21 Jan 2018 10:31

What summed it up for me was the difference in subs! Their chap with the Kadjagoogoo, Limarl type badger haircut was brilliant, he harried chased, got injured and was very effective! Our sub Roy Beerens ...was completely anominous for his time on the pitch, and his contribution? Picked the ball up for a throw in and and crossed once! There stands the case for the prosecution me lord!

Davezk

by Davezk » 21 Jan 2018 10:33

Well you've already paid your money for a season ticket so not attending won't bother the club either way.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2018 10:51

FiNeRaIn I thought we should stick with him longer to see if he could pull us out of the relegation battle but we just keep slipping. I can't remember our home form being this bad in living memory. Did we even have a run this bad in the premiership relegation seasons? When we went down under Bullivant? Even in that team we had some entertaining games, there hasn't been anything entertaining about this season. It's just so utterly depressing I can't quite believe what we are all witnessing.

Perhaps Strap can provide details of the worst Reading record at home during a full season. Will be interesting to see how far off of that the club are at the moment. Likewise I struggle to remember a season as bad at home and what really highlights it is the next home game is in FEBRUARY and Reading still have not won on a Saturday at home this season (last win at home on a Saturday was 1-0 v Wigan on 29 April).

FiNeRaIn What I really want to know is who is responsible for us not signing a striker. People are probably tired of this conversation but its just so utterly baffling that despite it being the absolute forefront of our glaring weaknesses, we almost completely ignored it and snatched a backup striker with a poor goal scoring record who we've hardly started. We've had 20 days to bring one in and again, nothing. If Stam was making noises all summer about getting in a proven goalscorer and we didn't, heads need to roll at board level. Tevreden first out. I am tired of us dilly dallying making excuses about the market when many other teams with similar finances to us bring in goalscorers. Some of those don't work out, sure, but we have absolutely zilch up front and we didn't even get a loan. Just such a level of incompetence I cannot believe these guys are running a football club.

Had no strikers really since Alfie was sold, seems Stam's approach to attacking is that all players should be equally comfortable playing in all positions and therefore it doesn't matter there's no striker not to mention the persistent refusal of the club to spend big in that area (yet happy to splaff a reported shed load for the utterly pointless and unneccessary signing of Aluko).

FiNeRaIn That said, with the players we have we are a mid table team and we are miles short of that standard under Stams tactics. It's time to go. Bring in someone who is going to solidify the defence, build from the back, organize the team to its strengths and hopefully have the rest of the season to mold them for next year.

Definitely. He has to go and now. Enough of this dreadful style as it will not win a relegation battle, it was awful stuff last season as well, culminating in that pathetic play off final performance (though Huddersfield were just a s bad that day to be fair) but at least the results made it all seem worthwhile. Now it's all been revealed for what it is - an utterly hopeless style at this level (imagine if he stayed and tried persisting with it in the lower divisions).

FiNeRaIn No one wanted Stam, the owners or Tevreden,etc to fail and many have hung on in support far longer than they should have. Its not nice, the atmosphere is divisive, the football is appalling and crowds are dwindling. The club cannot afford this setback. Enough is enough.

Actually think it was worth a shot. A real "name" that raised the profile of the club and would attract players to the club just because of who he is but sadly the experiment has failed, the football is awful, the players look confused and the fans would mostly rather be doing anything else than watching it.

Anyone else remember Oldham away on a Tuesday night? Well, if not, you're likely get a chance to relive it next season.

That said though, there are still 19 games left to amass anther 22 or so points to have a chance to stay up and the next game is a visit to the club currently 22nd in the table so there is still some hope for the club, let's all get behind them and support.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jan 2018 10:53

Well it`s been confirmed the Chinese were not there yesterday. 3rd time on the trot we`ve had invisible owners joke of a club.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 21 Jan 2018 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 21 Jan 2018 10:54

Every week Stam's post game interview with BBCRB is exactly the same. 'The players aren't doing what we are telling them to do' There comes a point when people need to stop believing this bullshit. He is becoming more predictable than Adkins. What are they doing in training? What is he saying to players?
It's time to go before we end up in League One because the moment we get relegated Stam will walk anyway.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2018 10:58

TBH not sure it makes much difference if the owners are there

Gourlay runs the football side of things - it’s his decision and in his hands. If he recommended to the owners they bin Stam, it will happen

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 21 Jan 2018 11:01

Stam’s post match interviews seems to revolve around the fact that nothing he does or can do will have any real impact upon the performance of the team. He’s doing a brilliant job at standing on the touchline and turning up for interviews – what happens on the pitch has nothing to do with him – he’s seemingly powerless to intervene.

In which case I’ll do it. Anyone can do it. We don’t actually need a manager because there is nothing a manager can do. It’s all down to the players, the owners, and the fans. The manager is just some convenient and ineffectual figurehead with no ability to influence the team’s performance.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jan 2018 11:14

Winston Biscuit I took one of them cardboard glasses things with me that you can put your mobile telephone into. I hit play as our game kicked off today and I watched our 4-0 demolition of Stoke from 94/95.

Fantastic performance. What a belter from Kerr.

I think this could be the way forward

If all Reading fans did the same, imagine how good the atmosphere would be?!

Edit. Obviously we'd have to agree to watch the same game

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Jan 2018 12:14

Armadillo Roadkill Stam’s post match interviews seems to revolve around the fact that nothing he does or can do will have any real impact upon the performance of the team. He’s doing a brilliant job at standing on the touchline and turning up for interviews – what happens on the pitch has nothing to do with him – he’s seemingly powerless to intervene.

In which case I’ll do it. Anyone can do it. We don’t actually need a manager because there is nothing a manager can do. It’s all down to the players, the owners, and the fans. The manager is just some convenient and ineffectual figurehead with no ability to influence the team’s performance.

Yesterday's post-match interview was lengthy with no particular deeper insight other than that Richards had a slight hamstring problem.
This time he said that the defenders and keeper can go long if they feel like it and they are told to do things quicker.
The thing is the players can't be listening so where does the fault lie?

I have been banging on for ages about there being nothing wrong with playing the ball out from the back but you don't do it at walking pace.
For the system to work it has to be pass and move-our players just don't do the move bit especially in central midfield.
Joey?
It is just a sick joke and with Evans there is a player in there somewhere but we don't see enough of it.

Gunter.
At long last he is at times getting forward and putting crosses in, which is what we have wanted for years.
He has also won over some fans for his tweet about players and fans being together.
However his most important job is to defend and from the moment Canas came on he was his usual rabbit in the headlights backing off and not knowing what to do.
Canas is clearly right-footed so basic defending is to push him onto his left-side where he is less comfortable but no, our brave hero stands off and lets him cut in on his right giving him plenty of room to shoot which he did on at least 4 occasions in the short period he was on the pitch.
Fortunately for us Canas didn't have his shooting boots on this week.
Stam supposedly talks to the players about the opposition but again I wonder whether they listen and if not, why not?

Amazingly in his interview Stam said he didn't know if the Chinese were in the country and he wasn't sure about finances and if new signings could be brought in.
The Chinese might not be his immediate bosses but you would think that at his coach/manager level he would know whether or not they were around.

It feels like a shambles both on and off the pitch with decision-making and leadership sadly lacking and with 10 days of the transfer window to go (Do Gourlay and/or the Chinese know about the transfer window closing?) it seems as though our manager (just like Joey on the pitch) is unsackable whereas with most clubs having a record like ours, after the transfer spend of this season, wouldn't hesitate in showing the manager the door before it is too late.
Also we are a side that makes so few chances in games and are incredibly dull to watch.

Some might make a case for sticking with the manager on the basis that it worked for Bristol City in similar circumstances-IMHO that is a rarity and in many other cases a change has brought about an upturn (Palace, West Ham,Everton, Middlesborough etc.) and although such changes might not succeed in the longer term ours has become a shorter term plight, i.e. to not get relegated so surely the time has come for his departure.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2018 12:28

Thought Gunter dealt with Canas pretty well tbh.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Jan 2018 12:34

Richards was constantly left with 2 on 1 situations yesterday, and coped pretty well. Blackett also I thought. They got no support from Barrow or Beerens, and it has been a constant problem with this 4-3-3 formation. Given he was on an early booking Joey did ok in getting across to help Richards in the first half

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jan 2018 12:41

Sutekh Had no strikers really since Alfie was sold

Except the one who got 19 goals last season? :lol:

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 21 Jan 2018 13:01

I reckon that we are now known as Golden F.C. Stam trots out the same ol' lines. Gourlay says,..well, less said the better. As for Tevreden and the owners...silence is golden. Hence, Golden F.C.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jan 2018 13:35

RoyalBlue Some our our fans are just as fixed in their views as they accuse Stam of being.

The hatred of everything associated with JvDB being a case in point. We had a 'neutral' with us who was impressed by JvDB vision and passing at points during the game.

How is Stevie Wonder these days?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jan 2018 13:51

Bizarre how one poster on here always moans about Gunter when he has been one of our better players this season.
The right back position is the least of our worries right now.
Our strikers have scored a grand total of four League goals all season. We have two wingers whose confidence is shot and neither did anything yesterday. We have a third winger who was allegedly on the pitch in the second half although barely looked interested.

Then we have our CDM who is so slow and as usual got booked and was walking a tightrope. Our left back lasted half a game. Our expensive centre back got on the wrong side of his opponent and was left for dead.
We have our central midfielder who gets shrugged off the ball every week.

Still let’s pick on the player who turns out every week and put a brilliant block in to prevent a certain goal yesterday and was head and shoulders our most creative outlet. Madness.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 21 Jan 2018 14:01

windermereROYAL
strap Didn't go to the "game" as I refuse to pay to watch that drivel any longer.

So my contribution is utterly irrelevant as per usual, but for those interested our last 12 home league games have yielded 2 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats, For 11 against 16, for a points tally of 9. The last time we had a worse run was back in 12/12/2009, when a 1-1 home draw to Scunthorpe gave us a record of 1 win, 5 draws and 6 defeats at home, 9 scored 17 conceded, for 8 points.

That game was the last home game, (actually last ever game), before Brenda Bodgers was sacked.

What odds Stam is gone before the trip to Hillsborough?

Well we were told the owners were going to be there today. not sure if it happened, but if it did they will surely have to pull the trigger.

Thet were at the game, pictured below having a pre mach haircut in Reading

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jan 2018 14:07

finchroyal
windermereROYAL
strap Didn't go to the "game" as I refuse to pay to watch that drivel any longer.

So my contribution is utterly irrelevant as per usual, but for those interested our last 12 home league games have yielded 2 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats, For 11 against 16, for a points tally of 9. The last time we had a worse run was back in 12/12/2009, when a 1-1 home draw to Scunthorpe gave us a record of 1 win, 5 draws and 6 defeats at home, 9 scored 17 conceded, for 8 points.

That game was the last home game, (actually last ever game), before Brenda Bodgers was sacked.

What odds Stam is gone before the trip to Hillsborough?

Well we were told the owners were going to be there today. not sure if it happened, but if it did they will surely have to pull the trigger.

Thet were at the game, pictured below having a pre mach haircut in Reading

J Low confirmed they were not there. Are we trying to corner the market on invisible owners?

193 posts