193 posts
Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Brentford

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 15:44

Hendo
Theroyalbox
Hendo
I only want to go to Oldham if someone scores a Simon Osborn lob.

In all seriousness do you not feel league 1 could benefit the club right now. Get a winning mentality back and just some kind of character this season has absolutely killed my passion off

I think it is the wrong attitude to have, to assume that if we go down we would be certain to come back up.

I would certainly rather stay in The Championship than go down to League 1, even if it meant we went down and won the league.

I'm not saying we will go straight back up, I just think a club rebuild is required off the top of my head since we got relegated in 2011/12 (after the worst team in championship history somehow got promoted) we have finished 7th 19th 17th 19th 3rd and now this season not 100% accurate but you get the point. Something is wrong, we are not heading back towards the premiership, we as fans are distanced from the club and its reflecting with absolute shite on the pitch

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jan 2018 15:50

Theroyalbox
Hendo
Theroyalbox
In all seriousness do you not feel league 1 could benefit the club right now. Get a winning mentality back and just some kind of character this season has absolutely killed my passion off

I think it is the wrong attitude to have, to assume that if we go down we would be certain to come back up.

I would certainly rather stay in The Championship than go down to League 1, even if it meant we went down and won the league.

I'm not saying we will go straight back up, I just think a club rebuild is required off the top of my head since we got relegated in 2011/12 (after the worst team in championship history somehow got promoted) we have finished 7th 19th 17th 19th 3rd and now this season not 100% accurate but you get the point. Something is wrong, we are not heading back towards the premiership, we as fans are distanced from the club and its reflecting with absolute shite on the pitch

Something is wrong but for the life of me, I really don't see how dropping down a level would make it better.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 15:54

Stranded
Theroyalbox
Hendo

Something is wrong but for the life of me, I really don't see how dropping down a level would make it better.

I have to admit I am struggling to justify it, maybe less pressure, less egos in the team, a better relationship with fans as we will loose most of the morons (although you might think im one). Plus we might get two teams in the checkatrade trophy final???

I don't think staying in the championship gives us the chance to clear out the deadwood because of the immediate expectation, I would love to see some lads from Reading playing in league 1 for us rather than people who don't care like aluko and barrow

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2018 15:55

Theroyalbox We have finished 7th 19th 17th 19th 3rd and now this season not 100% accurate but you get the point. Something is wrong, we are not heading back towards the premiership.

Not sure there is always something 'wrong' in that regard. Things can always be improved, for sure. Its difficult to get promoted to PL, and many teams want to. They also want to be as prepared as they can be, once they get there. A few teams have been in Champ a while, like us. Wolves will go up this season, and we all know how/why. They likely wouldn't admit, but I'm guessing many clubs consider it somewhat of a success by staying/retaining their place in the Champ. (There's that 'disconnect' thing, again :wink: ).
Last edited by Denver Royal on 22 Jan 2018 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 15:58

Theroyalbox rather than people who don't care like aluko and barrow

harsh...

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 16:00

Hound

harsh...

I cant stand barrow terrible technical football and his work rate is appalling, he genuinely can hardly kick a ball properly its astonishing how he played in the prem

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 16:03

Denver Royal
Theroyalbox We have finished 7th 19th 17th 19th 3rd and now this season not 100% accurate but you get the point. Something is wrong, we are not heading back towards the premiership.

Not sure there is always something 'wrong' in that regard. Things can always be improved, for sure. Its difficult to get promoted to PL, and many teams want to. They also want to be as prepared as they can be, once they get there. A few teams have been in Champ a while, like us. Wolves will go up this season, and we all know how/why. They likely wouldn't admit, but I'm guessing many clubs consider it somewhat of a success by staying/retaining their place in the Champ. (There's that 'disconnect' thing, again :wink: ).

This season club and fan relationships has been the worst it has been in my 20 years of watching quite comfortably, that shows me theres something wrong

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2018 16:11

Theroyalbox
Denver Royal

This season club and fan relationships has been the worst it has been in my 20 years of watching quite comfortably, that shows me theres something wrong

Fair enough. I do hear what you say and I can see your point. I've become aware that some other fans see and feel this 'problem' much more than I do necessarily, and that's fine.

As far as improving that, in the Champ, what do you think? Maybe a PR makeover at the club, a better fan liaison person, or whatever it is, better and more communication? I don't know, I'm just asking, any thoughts?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2018 16:15

Theroyalbox
Hendo
If you still hate Futcher Don't, or if you do wear plenty of layers. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS, cold there.

Yes, +1000

I posted in a different thread that it wouldn't be the end of the world. Both Sheffields, Leicester, Wolves, Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Forest have all been there in recent years and it looks like Wigan and Blackburn might well return straight away. It's not the same as relegation from the Prem - a lot of you are forgetting this is Sheff United's first season back in the second tier and they could well be in the playoffs come May. It's all about getting a winning momentum together and if that takes a year to achieve in League One then so be it.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 16:19

Denver Royal
Theroyalbox
Denver Royal

Fair enough. I hear what you say and can see your point. I've certainly become aware that some other fans see and feel this 'problem' much more than I do, and that's fine.

As far as improving that, in the Champ, what do you think? Maybe a PR makeover at the club, a better fan liaison person, or whatever it is, better and more communication? I don't know, I'm just asking, any thoughts?

I would like to hear publically more from Brian T, Ron Gourlay and even the owners. One thing I always enjoyed about watching my local team was the small things, like seeing John Madjeski out in somewhere in Reading absolutely trollied or just seeing the players sitting out locally, I remember seeing practically the whole of the McDermott Promotion squad sat outside the courtyard in Wokingham having a drink and it just felt they were real people rather than the distance away from the squad at the moment. I think the squad don't appreciate the fans at all admittedly were not the best fan base but the egos are far too big for the club.

As for Stam, he really hasn't helped himself with his interviews after the game, he's cold never credits the fans and I think the last time I really saw any meaningful thanks to the fans was Fulham away last season and after the terrible stuff we've watched this year that isn't on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2018 16:21

John Smith
Theroyalbox
Hendo

a lot of you are forgetting this is Sheff United's first season back in the second tier and they could well be in the playoffs come May. It's all about getting a winning momentum together and if that takes a year to achieve in League One then so be it.

But they weren't away for a year. They were in League 1 for 6 seasons. :|

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2018 16:22

Hendo
John Smith
Theroyalbox

a lot of you are forgetting this is Sheff United's first season back in the second tier and they could well be in the playoffs come May. It's all about getting a winning momentum together and if that takes a year to achieve in League One then so be it.

But they weren't away for a year. They were in League 1 for 6 seasons. :|

I think you've been away for 6 months if you're missing my point

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2018 16:48

RoyalSwine90
Theroyalbox I've actually given up on football but I really want to go in to league 1 because the away days look unbelievable, please can I have some confirmation that someone is on the same wavelength.

As daft as it sounds, I agree with you! Yes, I will be disappointed to get relegated and concerned for the welfare of our club, but the thought of visiting new grounds and renewing rivalries with Oxford and Swindon (If they are able to gain promotion from league 2) excite me more than the annual visits to Ipswich, Barnsley etc.

Keep much the same squad and there's really no excuse for failing to go up within 2 years.

Lose most our best players and we dramatically reduce our mental wage bill, still have a highly talented Academy, plenty of players good enough for L1 and a big big cash injection from transfer fees for the likes of Barrow, Bacuna, Moore, Aluko, Ilori, Kelly, Obita, Gunter, Swift etc.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2018 16:49

Theroyalbox
Denver Royal
Theroyalbox

Fair enough. I hear what you say and can see your point. I've certainly become aware that some other fans see and feel this 'problem' much more than I do, and that's fine.

I would like to hear publically more from Brian T, Ron Gourlay and even the owners. One thing I always enjoyed about watching my local team was the small things, like seeing John Madjeski out in somewhere in Reading absolutely trollied or just seeing the players sitting out locally, I remember seeing practically the whole of the McDermott Promotion squad sat outside the courtyard in Wokingham having a drink and it just felt they were real people rather than the distance away from the squad at the moment. I think the squad don't appreciate the fans at all admittedly were not the best fan base but the egos are far too big for the club.

As for Stam, he really hasn't helped himself with his interviews after the game, he's cold never credits the fans and I think the last time I really saw any meaningful thanks to the fans was Fulham away last season and after the terrible stuff we've watched this year that isn't on.

I certainly hear you, and can relate to how you feel.

In your first paragraph, I get that, and I feel more could be done in that regard.

As for what Stam says, I don't concern myself with it too much, tbh. But that's just me, and I do realize its of more importance to some. FWIW, to me, I agree he is cold. He wasn't always going to come across well and be a smooth talker like Coppell, and I never expected him to be. He didn't seem like 'Mr. Personality' as a player, and so he's pretty much as advertised and unlikely to change much. I could say 'I wish he was this or that', but he isn't. Such as he is, I suspect that dealing with the media and fans has, for him, been one of his more difficult challenges as a first time manager, and maybe one he doesn't really enjoy much, and he may even admit as much. I guess I've just accepted it, really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2018 17:32

Just as a point, has Stam really got much to compliment the fans on? He says they're important fairly regularly. But the atmosphere has been diabolical for the most part.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 Jan 2018 17:47

Snowflake Royal Just as a point, has Stam really got much to compliment the fans on? He says they're important fairly regularly. But the atmosphere has been diabolical for the most part.

Do you do it purposely?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 17:53

Snowflake Royal Just as a point, has Stam really got much to compliment the fans on? He says they're important fairly regularly. But the atmosphere has been diabolical for the most part.

Avoiding whining every time a couple of boos are heard would be a good start

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2018 17:54

Hound

Avoiding whining every time a couple of boos are heard would be a good start

Yeah, he could absolutely be more politic and keep his criticism to himself. Certainly, I've said so in the past, even if I actually mostly agree with his criticism. Keeping Schtum and complimenting the fans are quite different to be fair.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2018 18:16

Theroyalbox
Hound

harsh...

I cant stand barrow terrible technical football and his work rate is appalling, he genuinely can hardly kick a ball properly its astonishing how he played in the prem

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Work rate appalling?!! What games have you been watching?

Terrible technical football?!! Ditto

Have I fallen for a WUM?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 19:27

RoyalBlue
Theroyalbox
Hound
harsh...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Work rate appalling?!! What games have you been watching?

Terrible technical football?!! Ditto

Have I fallen for a WUM?

Did think he may be getting confused with Aluko. Which tbf is something I’ve done before, as they look similar from a distance if your eyesight isn’t the best

Best bet is just to wait and see if he ever runs or not, then you know it’s Barrow

193 posts