BFTG Brentford

193 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Brentford

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2018 14:32

parky Every week Stam's post game interview with BBCRB is exactly the same. 'The players aren't doing what we are telling them to do' There comes a point when people need to stop believing this bullshit. He is becoming more predictable than Adkins. What are they doing in training? What is he saying to players?
It's time to go before we end up in League One because the moment we get relegated Stam will walk anyway.

Tim/Ady or even Mick, if the former are scared of the reaction, really need to ask Jaap the obvious follow up of "Why aren't the players doing what you ask of them, most have been in 18 months or so, so is hardly early days. Are they dense, are they not good enough or are you asking the wrong things of them at this level?"

Seems to me that what Jaap's asking is simply all Dutch to them.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 21 Jan 2018 15:32

In response to the q about best and worst home seasons, we are currently on for the latter. Average home points per game since move to MS
98-99 : 1.57
99-00 : 1.70
00-01 : 2.17
01-02 : 1.87
02-03 : 1.83
03-04 : 1.70
04-05 : 2.00
05-06 : 2.61 :lol:
06-07 : 1.84 (19 games)
07-08 : 1.37 (19 games)
08-09 : 1.78
09-10 : 1.61
10-11 : 1.87
11-12 : 2.04
12-13 : 1.05 (19 games)
13-14 : 1.48
14-15 : 1.26
15-16 : 1.43
16-17 : 2.30
17-18 : 0.95 (14 games to date)

Fortress Madejski.........

Stam out.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Jan 2018 15:47

The fact he's gone from second best to worst even further exacerbates things. How can we become THAT shit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jan 2018 16:21

Saw this on Twitter. Interesting. If the Thais were still in charge, think Stam would've gone a while ago.

Brian McDermott
- Got us promoted.
- In his second spell; given only 1 transfer window.
- Sacked after being winless in 7.

Jaap Stam.
- Has 4 transfer windows.
- Yet to be sacked after being winless in 8.
- Failed to beat: 19th, 21st, 23rd and 24th.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jan 2018 16:32

Looking at the stats, it seems that it's not only the worst season at the Madejski, it's the worst since we started playing competitive football in 1894 (if you take all seasons to use 3 points per win)

The previous worst was relegation under Branfoot in 1988, where we had a home record of 5-7-10, for 22 points, or 1 point per game (44 games in total that year)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Jan 2018 16:47

Zip Bizarre how one poster on here always moans about Gunter when he has been one of our better players this season.
The right back position is the least of our worries right now.
Our strikers have scored a grand total of four League goals all season. We have two wingers whose confidence is shot and neither did anything yesterday. We have a third winger who was allegedly on the pitch in the second half although barely looked interested.

Then we have our CDM who is so slow and as usual got booked and was walking a tightrope. Our left back lasted half a game. Our expensive centre back got on the wrong side of his opponent and was left for dead.
We have our central midfielder who gets shrugged off the ball every week.

Still let’s pick on the player who turns out every week and put a brilliant block in to prevent a certain goal yesterday and was head and shoulders our most creative outlet. Madness.

Beauty is said to be in the eyes of the beholder. :wink:
From my posting you will see that my comments about Gunter were an aside.
As you rightly say there are so many things wrong all over the pitch and off it.

As for Gunter in particular it has taken him 4 years or so to start putting in a few crosses..
Maybe some time in the next 4 years he will learn how to defend.
He sums up for me what Stam is saying about the players not taking responsibility on the pitch.
Gunter takes the safe option nearly every time with throw-ins going backwards, passes going backwards and then the pointing.
If he has a winger taking him on he backs off and backs off allowing the winger to get into more and more dangerous areas.
Ade queried after the game why the full-backs don't slide the ball down the line-we play with 2 wingers (well, in theory or maybe Mo plus one other when he isn't aimlessly wandering) so why not use them?.
The major problem when we defend is that individual players don't take personal responsibility.
How many times this season have we seen 4 or more all looking at each other when a goal has been scored with an expression on their faces of "I thought you were going to deal with that".

I feel that Stam's time is up but I do have some sympathy with him when he says that players aren't thinking for themselves, something that Steve Coppell was also very keen on-the difference appears to be that Stam confuses the players so much that they are befuddled rather than having clear direction and in fact are not mentally strong enough to take decisions themselves.

Oh for a Simon Osborn, a Mick Gooding or a Richie Bowman to set the tone in the middle of the park rather than the clown of a Dutchman who seems to be first on the team sheet.
Oh for a Senior, Kitson or Doyle up front.
Oh for a Murty at right-back.
Oh for a pre-injury Sonko at the back
Oh for a Little or Gilkes on the wing
Oh for a Death or a Hanneman
Oh for a manager who can get his ideas across

Oh for a club that has some kind of rapport with the fans and supporters and not it's customers who are ordered to "back the boys and make some noise".

Oh f*** it I'm p****d off with all of it in keeping with so many others.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 21 Jan 2018 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Jan 2018 16:48

genome Stam would've gone a while ago
.... Benefit of hindsight which means the ability to understand an event or situation only after it has happened:

Foresight is a completely different thing all together and some may label it as conjecture.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2018 16:48

tmesis Looking at the stats, it seems that it's not only the worst season at the Madejski, it's the worst since we started playing competitive football in 1894 (if you take all seasons to use 3 points per win)

The previous worst was relegation under Branfoot in 1988, where we had a home record of 5-7-10, for 22 points, or 1 point per game (44 games in total that year)

Presumably we drew quite a lot last time we were in the Prem, because I'm pretty sure we only won 4 at home.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jan 2018 16:55

Oilroyal
.... Benefit of hindsight which means the ability to understand an event or situation only after it has happened:

Foresight is a completely different thing all together and some may label it as conjecture.

Not really sure what you're getting at but thanks for posting

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Jan 2018 17:04

genome
Oilroyal

Not really sure what you're getting at but thanks for posting

you're welcome :D

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Jan 2018 17:26

Snowflake Royal
tmesis Looking at the stats, it seems that it's not only the worst season at the Madejski, it's the worst since we started playing competitive football in 1894 (if you take all seasons to use 3 points per win)

Presumably we drew quite a lot last time we were in the Prem, because I'm pretty sure we only won 4 at home.

4 wins, 8 draws, so 20 points from 19 games.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Jan 2018 17:48

Gunter was generally ok, I thought. But for the goal he could have headed it off the line, which might have been easier than what he attempted.

Keep in mind Bees' are a handful for anyone offensively, and for the most part we did ok.

Re. our 'style' of play, we actually played a lot of long balls yesterday, more than Brentford did? (Alas, some of these cannoned off the chest and legs of Bod, but I digress).

Aluko was horrible, in a big game, against some pretty average defenders. When things aren't falling for you, you still leave it all out there.

Roy Beerens? Don't get me started.

Joey was decent, I thought, and put in a shift. Given all the abuse, I made a point of watching him. His style doesn't lend itself to playing on an early yellow, but he handled it ok. He adds a presence we missed when he went off, and the Bees' seemed happy and relieved when he did. He was decent at Hull, too, so it was right to start him yesterday. His passing, movement, and timing is better, and he looks fitter. He seemed the least of our worries yesterday, I thought.

Interesting there is little talk of Bod, in a 'silence is deafening' kinda way. Given all the lobbying midweek for him to start, he still looked pretty average to me. (Haven't seen many props for Stam starting him, either? Although, I'd have gone with Yann, myself, because I fancied him against their defenders).

So anyway, Bod ran around and hustled (which tends to catch the eye), and improved as the game wore on. I liked some of his movement and he occupied defenders. However, two crucial moments need to be mentioned, I'm afraid...

1. Ball in from left, Bod gets it, back to goal. Fortunately their D comes across and over-pursues, and leave acres behind them. Bod has an easy pass on, to Barrow, who is all alone, for him to run on to. But, its an awful pass. You might watch 10 high school games and not see the same pass in that situation. (And no, Stam didn't coach him to do it like that). You know where to put that pass, its simple basics that you are coached at u10 level.
(Tbf, Barrow made a meal of it, too, making it look even worse than it was. Pedestrian, he somehow needed about 4 touches/kisses with his left foot to get a shot off, which invited and afforded the grateful defenders time to get across and block. As bad a pass as it was, reckon Barrow could have flipped the ball with his left, one touch, on to his right foot, and hit it. Two touches, bang, goal, 1-0 up).

2. Bouncing ball comes over from right, Bod is alone. He's to the right of goal, about where you'd like it as a striker. He hits it first time on volley with his right. He hooks it wide left. At the very least there, you have to put it on frame and make the keeper save it.

Bod is tall, but doesn't always play like it. You wouldn't exactly say he was dominant in the air yesterday. He lost a lot of headers, some of which he didn't even attempt to go for. (Again, youth footy stuff. 'No free headers, boys. At least challenge to put the defender off. If you wanna spectate, I'll pull you off, and you can spectate from the stands'). Bod is almost 26, yet plays more like he's 20. He looks green and raw to me, and lacks guile and awareness. I think he will improve, but he is a work in progress as far as being 'the man' up front for two games each week against Champ defenders. (And btw, he was up against Bees' defenders who are far from the best...they have conceded as many as we have this season).
Last edited by Denver Royal on 21 Jan 2018 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 17:57

Denver Royal Gunter was generally ok, I thought. But for the goal he could have headed it off the line, which might have been easier than what he attempted.

Keep in mind Bees' are a handful for anyone offensively, and for the most part we did ok.

Re. our 'style' of play, we actually played a lot of long balls yesterday, more than Brentford did? (Alas, some of these cannoned off the chest and legs of Bod, but I digress).

Aluko was horrible, in a big game, against some pretty average defenders. When things aren't falling for you, you still leave it all out there.

Joey was decent, I thought, and put in a shift. Given all the abuse, I made a point of watching him. His style doesn't lend itself to playing on an early yellow, but he handled it ok. He adds a presence we missed when he went off, and the Bees' seemed happy and relieved when he did. He was decent at Hull, too, so it was right to start him yesterday. His passing, movement, and timing is better, and he looks fitter. He seemed the least of our worries yesterday, I thought.

Interesting there is little talk of Bod, in a 'silence is deafening' kinda way. Given all the lobbying midweek for him to start, he still looked pretty average to me. (Haven't seen many props for Stam starting him, either? Although, I'd have gone with Yann, myself, because I fancied him against their defenders).

So anyway, Bod ran around and hustled (which tends to catch the eye), and he improved as the game wore on. However, two crucial moments need to be mentioned, I'm afraid...

1. Ball in from left, Bod gets it, back to goal. Fortunately their D comes across and over-pursues, and leave acres behind them. Bod has an easy pass on, to Barrow, who is all alone, for him to run on to. But, its an awful pass. You might watch 10 high school games and not see the same pass in that situation. (And no, Stam didn't coach him to do it like that). You know where to put that pass, its simple basics that you are coached at u10 level.
(Tbf, Barrow made a meal of it, too, making it look even worse than it was. Pedestrian, he somehow needed about 4 touches/kisses with his left foot to get a shot off, which invited and afforded the grateful defenders time to get across and block. As bad a pass as it was, reckon Barrow could have flipped the ball with his left, one touch, on to his right foot, and hit it. Two touches, bang, goal, 1-0 up).

2. Bouncing ball comes over from right, Bod is alone. He's to the right of goal, about where you'd like it as a striker. He hits it first time on volley with his right. He hooks it wide left. At the very least there, you have to put it on frame and make the keeper save it.

Bod is tall, but doesn't always play like it. You wouldn't exactly say he was dominant in the air yesterday. He lost a lot of headers, some of which he didn't even attempt to go for. (Again, youth footy stuff. 'No free headers, boys. At least challenge to put the defender off. If you wanna spectate, I'll pull you off, and you can spectate from the stands'). Bod is almost 26, yet plays more like he's 20. He looks green and raw to me, and lacks guile and awareness. I think he will improve, but he is a work in progress as far as being 'the man' up front for two games each week against Champ defenders. (And btw, he was up against Bees' defenders who are far from the best...they have conceded as many as we have this season).

Para. 4 did you say 'big game' or is that a typo ?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 17:58

Denver Royal Gunter was generally ok, I thought. But for the goal he could have headed it off the line, which might have been easier than what he attempted.

So anyway, Bod ran around and hustled (which tends to catch the eye), and he improved as the game wore on. However, two crucial moments need to be mentioned, I'm afraid...

Para. 4 did you mean to say 'big game' or is that a typo ?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jan 2018 17:59

Victor Meldrew
Zip Bizarre how one poster on here always moans about Gunter when he has been one of our better players this season.
The right back position is the least of our worries right now.
Our strikers have scored a grand total of four League goals all season. We have two wingers whose confidence is shot and neither did anything yesterday. We have a third winger who was allegedly on the pitch in the second half although barely looked interested.

Then we have our CDM who is so slow and as usual got booked and was walking a tightrope. Our left back lasted half a game. Our expensive centre back got on the wrong side of his opponent and was left for dead.
We have our central midfielder who gets shrugged off the ball every week.

Still let’s pick on the player who turns out every week and put a brilliant block in to prevent a certain goal yesterday and was head and shoulders our most creative outlet. Madness.

Beauty is said to be in the eyes of the beholder. :wink:
From my posting you will see that my comments about Gunter were an aside.
As you rightly say there are so many things wrong all over the pitch and off it.

As for Gunter in particular it has taken him 4 years or so to start putting in a few crosses..
Maybe some time in the next 4 years he will learn how to defend.
He sums up for me what Stam is saying about the players not taking responsibility on the pitch.
Gunter takes the safe option nearly every time with throw-ins going backwards, passes going backwards and then the pointing.
If he has a winger taking him on he backs off and backs off allowing the winger to get into more and more dangerous areas.
Ade queried after the game why the full-backs don't slide the ball down the line-we play with 2 wingers (well, in theory or maybe Mo plus one other when he isn't aimlessly wandering) so why not use them?.
The major problem when we defend is that individual players don't take personal responsibility.
How many times this season have we seen 4 or more all looking at each other when a goal has been scored with an expression on their faces of "I thought you were going to deal with that".

I feel that Stam's time is up but I do have some sympathy with him when he says that players aren't thinking for themselves, something that Steve Coppell was also very keen on-the difference appears to be that Stam confuses the players so much that they are befuddled rather than having clear direction and in fact are not mentally strong enough to take decisions themselves.

Oh for a Simon Osborn, a Mick Gooding or a Richie Bowman to set the tone in the middle of the park rather than the clown of a Dutchman who seems to be first on the team sheet.
Oh for a Senior, Kitson or Doyle up front.
Oh for a Murty at right-back.
Oh for a pre-injury Sonko at the back
Oh for a Little or Gilkes on the wing
Oh for a Death or a Hanneman
Oh for a manager who can get his ideas across

Oh for a club that has some kind of rapport with the fans and supporters and not it's customers who are ordered to "back the boys and make some noise".

Oh f*** it I'm p****d off with all of it in keeping with so many others.
just add in the third season Ivar and a Brynjar...and I agree 100%

He has his dissenters, but Jon Dadi (despite not scoring Saturday) needs that decent run....even Kevin Doyle looked like a lost cause in his formative days......wasn’t afraid to have a go tho’

Was “washing my hair” yesterday but sounds like he was motm despite it all.....and probably nailed-on for being dropped by Jaap next game :shock:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Jan 2018 18:02

Longhorn1970

Yep, I meant big game, no typo. Big game. Or, important game. You'll find those expressions can be used to interchangeably. A big game for the team, and for Aluko, too, because he hasn't shown much recently.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 21 Jan 2018 19:50, edited 2 times in total.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 18:04

Denver Royal
Longhorn1970

Yep, big game. Important game.

Jeez :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2018 18:09

Can’t be arsed to read all that about Gunter but would say has been in our top 3 players this season with Barrow and Moore. Prob only 3 who can hold their heads up really

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Jan 2018 18:10

Longhorn1970
Denver Royal
Longhorn1970

What, you didn't see it as an important game?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 18:15

Denver Royal
Longhorn1970
Denver Royal

What, you didn't see it as an important game?

You said it was a 'big game' ! It certainly wasn't, important ? Nothing was at stake was it ? ...

193 posts