BFTG Brentford

193 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Brentford

by Hound » 20 Jan 2018 19:03

Lower West
Jackson Corner Even if Stam is sacked who can turn that shower round?

Despite all the comings and goings of the past 18 months. We are still left with an unbalanced squad.

No one ever mentions the director of football. Been quiet for a while. Yet in September was pronouncing.

"Brian Tevreden says Reading FC signings have made club promotion contenders"

How much input did Stam have?

I don’t think it’s massively unbalanced. We could certainly do with another striker but we have 2 fit centre forwards.

We play the wrong players in the wrong places, play people who are off form, play favourites week in week out no matter how shit they play

Issues are with Stam not BT imo. I think he got some handy players for reasonable amounts - ie Barrow, Vito and Bacuna. Stam has misused them basically

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jan 2018 19:07

Oilroyal
Lower West
Jackson Corner Even if Stam is sacked who can turn that shower round?

Despite all the comings and goings of the past 18 months. We are still left with an unbalanced squad.

No one ever mentions the director of football. Been quiet for a while. Yet in September was pronouncing.

"Brian Tevreden says Reading FC signings have made club promotion contenders"

How much input did Stam have?

he seemed to rave about aluko in the media before signing him and he got what he wanted

Not convinced that Aluko is an out and out winger. In the absence of Swift perhaps should be played today where Kelly was, i.e. a no 10.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 20 Jan 2018 19:24

Lower West
Westwood52 We look like one of the worst three teams in the division.

On Tuesday week we'll know for sure.

If sacked, then while possibly a compensation cost, a new manager expected to prove his worth by keeping us up without a transfer window and a promise to strengthen in the summer?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Jan 2018 19:31

Hound Mannone: 6

Get out.

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 20 Jan 2018 19:32

Winston Biscuit I took one of them cardboard glasses things with me that you can put your mobile telephone into. I hit play as our game kicked off today and I watched our 4-0 demolition of Stoke from 94/95.

Fantastic performance. What a belter from Kerr.

Agreed but they held us with relative comfort until the first red card. A gr8 result though, it kick-started the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2018 19:37

Platypuss
Hound Mannone: 6

Get out.

You banning me just for that :( :lol:

Actually thought he made some good saves - highlights bear that out

Some of his passing was poor though

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 20 Jan 2018 19:40

Has he gone yet?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2018 19:43

windermereROYAL
CountryRoyal
Oilroyal
When opposition fans don’t want Stam to be sacked before they play us you just know we’re in trouble.

JAN:
Away: Burton Albion
FEB:
Home: Millwall
Away: Middlesbrough
Home: Sheffield United
Away: Nottingham Forest
Home: Derby County

Apart from the Burton game we’re oxf*rd.

First game of March is Wolves away as well. :lol:

So 11 games after that little lot to save ourselves.

It really is feeling like Coppell's relegation. Failing miserably against those desperately trying to survive at the bottom. Seemed comfortably clear of it in December. Unbalanced squad. Players confidence and decision making completely shot. A manager who doesn't seem to know how to stop the rot.

Something drastic needs to change. It could come from Stam making some bid decisions and changes, it could come from the players stepping up and taking ownership of the problem, it could come from a managerial change. Right now, the latter is the one looking most likely to have a positive effect.

Can anyone give more information on Richards removal? Was he poor? Injured? Tactical? EDIT: missed it in the first post. Great, another fricking injury.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jan 2018 19:45

double d Our fans are an utter disgrace. 0/10

Er why? Got behind the team pretty well in the second half. Don't think the team deserved the boos they got at the end today but I assume they were more towards our general form rather than today's performance.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2018 19:46

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
CountryRoyal
First game of March is Wolves away as well. :lol:

So 11 games after that little lot to save ourselves.

It really is feeling like Coppell's relegation. Failing miserably against those desperately trying to survive at the bottom. Seemed comfortably clear of it in December. Unbalanced squad. Players confidence and decision making completely shot. A manager who doesn't seem to know how to stop the rot.

Something drastic needs to change. It could come from Stam making some bid decisions and changes, it could come from the players stepping up and taking ownership of the problem, it could come from a managerial change. Right now, the latter is the one looking most likely to have a positive effect.

Can anyone give more information on Richards removal? Was he poor? Injured? Tactical?

Richards had a hamstring problem according to Stam. can anyone confirm if the Chinese were there today?

double d

by double d » 20 Jan 2018 19:48

genome

Er why? Got behind the team pretty well in the second half. Don't think the team deserved the boos they got at the end today but I assume they were more towards our general form rather than today's performance.

I should have said

"Fans" aka idiots on social media

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2018 19:52

double d
genome

I should have said

"Fans" aka idiots on social media

Come with the territory I'm afraid , there are some total knobs out there that spout off and don't even go to games. the same knobs that will be singing from the root tops when and if our fortunes turn around.

stanmoreroyal

by stanmoreroyal » 20 Jan 2018 19:55

Today I returned to my season ticket seat after 3 missed games. Neither of my sons wanted to use their tickets so I brought along a colleague who supports Wycombe Wanders.
Atmosphere is toxic in his opinion. The players seem scared to play their natural game. There's nothing in midfield. Stam has started blaming the players decision making, in his post march interviews.
At Wycombe he says it's end to end action with 3-2 score lines either way and nothing if not entertaining.
I don't think the club now have anything to lose (other than the ludicrous pay off settlement for non performance? ) by admitting that Stam has had time to turn it around and its just not happening and doesn't look likely to.
Let's get a Royal Phil Parkinson in before it's too late and the season ends in relegation.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Jan 2018 19:56

I thought we should stick with him longer to see if he could pull us out of the relegation battle but we just keep slipping. I can't remember our home form being this bad in living memory. Did we even have a run this bad in the premiership relegation seasons? When we went down under Bullivant? Even in that team we had some entertaining games, there hasn't been anything entertaining about this season. It's just so utterly depressing I can't quite believe what we are all witnessing.

What I really want to know is who is responsible for us not signing a striker. People are probably tired of this conversation but its just so utterly baffling that despite it being the absolute forefront of our glaring weaknesses, we almost completely ignored it and snatched a backup striker with a poor goal scoring record who we've hardly started. We've had 20 days to bring one in and again, nothing. If Stam was making noises all summer about getting in a proven goalscorer and we didn't, heads need to roll at board level. Tevreden first out. I am tired of us dilly dallying making excuses about the market when many other teams with similar finances to us bring in goalscorers. Some of those don't work out, sure, but we have absolutely zilch up front and we didn't even get a loan. Just such a level of incompetence I cannot believe these guys are running a football club.

That said, with the players we have we are a mid table team and we are miles short of that standard under Stams tactics. It's time to go. Bring in someone who is going to solidify the defence, build from the back, organize the team to its strengths and hopefully have the rest of the season to mold them for next year.

No one wanted Stam, the owners or Tevreden,etc to fail and many have hung on in support far longer than they should have. Its not nice, the atmosphere is divisive, the football is appalling and crowds are dwindling. The club cannot afford this setback. Enough is enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2018 20:11

Having an improved striker would make little difference to be honest if we play as we have been doing so. It’s not like Bod missed a stackful of chances today. He did very well off pitiful service

Yann looks shot, but Stam has played him week in and out whilst Bod has been on the bench.

You could have anything from me to Sergio Aguero in the number 9 shirt and we’d still look rubbish

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 20 Jan 2018 20:14

A very turgid display of football between two teams that were very happy to pass it around and panic in the last 3rd like a young lad about to lose his virginity. However, Brentford did look more dangerous when going forward and should have scored more than just 1 goal.

Ratings
Mannone 7 - I've seen a few others give him 5s and I really can't understand why. He kept the score line down and had to deal with some very panicked passes back from a shaky defence. If it weren't for him and Brentford's inept finishing we could have lost 4 or 5 one today.

Gunter 6 - Solid, Got forward and defended well enough. He looked quite frustrated with the rest of the team though.

Illori 5 - I like Tiago but he really did put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the players around him by playing a late pass into an area surrounded by Brentford players.

Moore 7 - He really did carry the team today. Defended well, got forward well (yeah) and looked very assured. If he doesn't get bought this window he will be gone to a Prem team in the summer for sure.

Richards 6 - First time I've seen him play and I thought he did ok. He had a very quick and tricky opponent today but he stood his ground well. The linesman did not help him with a couple of long balls over the top that should have been flagged as offside but he looked comfortable, he can get forward and deliver too.

JVDB 5 - Booking after like 15mins but he kept his cool whilst still getting stuck in. He put himself about but I've seen better games from him.

Evans 5 - Not his best game. If it weren't for JVDB's yellow he would have gone off instead. I know he hasn't played much due to injury so I'm hoping this is just a performance based off a lack of playing time.

Kelly 6.5 - This was a better game from Kelly, not perfect but good. He started pretty slow but grew into the game. Did you see that 40 yard ball to Barrow's feet? Wow. In the 2nd half he was the catalyst for a lot of our attacks and was fouled a lot from the Brentford team to stop any attacking threats from us.

Aluko 4 - Was he even playing? No way is he worth the fee we paid.

Barrow 7 - He was unlucky he didn't score but we worked his socks off. He looks a handful going forward and tracked back well in the 1st half for us.

Bodvardsson 7 - Unlucky not to score today. He often had 2 players on him but held the ball up well, drew a couple of fouls and was full of running. I would definitely start with him over Kermogant.

Subs

Blackett 5 - He looked ok in patches. He made one goal saving clearance that everyone was in raptures over but I couldn't help thinking...the keeper and Moore are already on the line...aren't you supposed to be marking the guy who just nearly scored???????? He also put us under pressure with some passes into danger areas like Illori did

Beerens - N/A - He was not on long enough but did absolutely sweet FA.

Kerm N/A - Gave a foul away for a silly nudge (it was a foul so stop moaning at the ref!!) that was it.

All in all, Brentford deserved the win with the superior chances today. That said there wasn't a huge gap between the two. We just need some purpose and direction in the final third. This may sound a bit controversial but I thought we looked more of a threat when Kelly was given the ball from the back and tried to kick start an attacking move. I know this season has not been his best but today I thought he was the catalyst for a lot of our good play. I also believe that we should be committing more men forward when we are on the on the offensive as we seem a tad light when going forward. If you compare us to Brentford they would attack with 4 or 5 at pace with more on there way and they looked dangerous. We only had 3 at a non threatening pace with every other player waiting or watching in the background.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 20 Jan 2018 20:16

A very turgid display of football between two teams that were very happy to pass it around and panic in the last 3rd like a young lad about to lose his virginity. However, Brentford did look more dangerous when going forward and should have scored more than just 1 goal.

Ratings
Mannone 7 - I've seen a few others give him 5s and I really can't understand why. He kept the score line down and had to deal with some very panicked passes back from a shaky defence. If it weren't for him and Brentford's inept finishing we could have lost 4 or 5 one today.

Gunter 6 - Solid, Got forward and defended well enough. He looked quite frustrated with the rest of the team though.

Illori 5 - I like Tiago but he really did put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the players around him by playing a late pass into an area surrounded by Brentford players.

Moore 7 - He really did carry the team today. Defended well, got forward well (yeah) and looked very assured. If he doesn't get bought this window he will be gone to a Prem team in the summer for sure.

Richards 6 - First time I've seen him play and I thought he did ok. He had a very quick and tricky opponent today but he stood his ground well. The linesman did not help him with a couple of long balls over the top that should have been flagged as offside but he looked comfortable, he can get forward and deliver too.

JVDB 5 - Booking after like 15mins but he kept his cool whilst still getting stuck in. He put himself about but I've seen better games from him.

Evans 5 - Not his best game. If it weren't for JVDB's yellow he would have gone off instead. I know he hasn't played much due to injury so I'm hoping this is just a performance based off a lack of playing time.

Kelly 6.5 - This was a better game from Kelly, not perfect but good. He started pretty slow but grew into the game. Did you see that 40 yard ball to Barrow's feet? Wow. In the 2nd half he was the catalyst for a lot of our attacks and was fouled a lot from the Brentford team to stop any attacking threats from us.

Aluko 4 - Was he even playing? No way is he worth the fee we paid.

Barrow 7 - He was unlucky he didn't score but we worked his socks off. He looks a handful going forward and tracked back well in the 1st half for us.

Bodvardsson 7 - Unlucky not to score today. He often had 2 players on him but held the ball up well, drew a couple of fouls and was full of running. I would definitely start with him over Kermogant.

Subs

Blackett 5 - He looked ok in patches. He made one goal saving clearance that everyone was in raptures over but I couldn't help thinking...the keeper and Moore are already on the line...aren't you supposed to be marking the guy who just nearly scored???????? He also put us under pressure with some passes into danger areas like Illori did

Beerens - N/A - He was not on long enough but did absolutely sweet FA.

Kerm N/A - Gave a foul away for a silly nudge (it was a foul so stop moaning at the ref!!) that was it.

All in all, Brentford deserved the win with the superior chances today. That said there wasn't a huge gap between the two. We just need some purpose and direction in the final third. This may sound a bit controversial but I thought we looked more of a threat when Kelly was given the ball from the back and tried to kick start an attacking move. I know this season has not been his best but today I thought he was the catalyst for a lot of our good play. I also believe that we should be committing more men forward when we are on the on the offensive as we seem a tad light when going forward. If you compare us to Brentford they would attack with 4 or 5 at pace with more on there way and they looked dangerous. We only had 3 at a non threatening pace with every other player waiting or watching in the background.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2018 20:21

Hound Having an improved striker would make little difference to be honest if we play as we have been doing so. It’s not like Bod missed a stackful of chances today. He did very well off pitiful service

Yann looks shot, but Stam has played him week in and out whilst Bod has been on the bench.

You could have anything from me to Sergio Aguero in the number 9 shirt and we’d still look rubbish

It depresses me when I see the striker options other teams have compared to us, both Sheffield teams have 4 each that would walk into our team. Derby last night, Vydra Nugent, then bought on Jerome.
What do we have? a 36 year old, and Jon Dadi, a trier but not someone who will get you 20 a season.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 20 Jan 2018 20:24

FiNeRaIn I thought we should stick with him longer to see if he could pull us out of the relegation battle but we just keep slipping. I can't remember our home form being this bad in living memory. Did we even have a run this bad in the premiership relegation seasons? When we went down under Bullivant? Even in that team we had some entertaining games, there hasn't been anything entertaining about this season. It's just so utterly depressing I can't quite believe what we are all witnessing.

Ah hhaaaa!

No you are nearly right my fine puddle of rain, but let me fix this for yoou!

We should stick with him to see how quickly he can push us into the relegation battle.... ....yess... ....the chinese do not care, they are here for the pie and chips.... ...but stam, stam is our man !

This is coming - we simply have to embrace Div 1. The old Div 2, we will be champions of that before returning back.

It was clear this was going to happen - I told you all - I predicted it - but we need to focus on building for the old Div 2.

Do You See ? :shock:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2018 20:30

Dave Edwards on C5 highlights tonight

May (or may not) be interesting

193 posts