BFTG Brentford

193 posts
Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Brentford

by Theroyalbox » 23 Jan 2018 09:25

bcubed
Theroyalbox I think my opinion on barrow will be proved in the coming months but i hope he proves me wrong - hes quick ill give him that woeful footballer though

:shock: :shock: :shock:

He's practically the only reason I still go to games
Is this a wind up?!

It's not a wind up, but football is about opinions. I personal prefer to watch technically gifted players - I think Bacuna is an absolute joy to watch and I think one of Stams worst decisions at Reading so far has been to play him right back. Think it was a cup game against Millwall where Bacuna practically drove the whole team from the middle playing really well like Williams would do but better, then shifted to right back???

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2018 09:29

Theroyalbox
bcubed
Theroyalbox I think my opinion on barrow will be proved in the coming months but i hope he proves me wrong - hes quick ill give him that woeful footballer though

Is this a wind up?!

It's not a wind up, but football is about opinions. I personal prefer to watch technically gifted players - I think Bacuna is an absolute joy to watch and I think one of Stams worst decisions at Reading so far has been to play him right back. Think it was a cup game against Millwall where Bacuna practically drove the whole team from the middle playing really well like Williams would do but better, then shifted to right back???

I think Theroyalbox is one of those miserable old codgers who you always seem to end up next to at a game who just moans at everything, even if the team does well. You've got to understand that for some people the only highlight of their week is get out the house on a Saturday and come and have a moan. And of course, have never played the game at any level.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 23 Jan 2018 09:38

John Smith
Theroyalbox
bcubed

Is this a wind up?!

I think Theroyalbox is one of those miserable old codgers who you always seem to end up next to at a game who just moans at everything, even if the team does well. You've got to understand that for some people the only highlight of their week is get out the house on a Saturday and come and have a moan. And of course, have never played the game at any level.

Certainly not miserable, I've really appreciated the style Stam has tried to implement here but unfortunately it hasn't worked and his time should probably be up now. I've played plenty of football and watched even more and think players like Barrow are just so limited in what they can do. But time will tell and as I have said I hope he proves me wrong

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Jan 2018 09:42

Theroyalbox
bcubed

Is this a wind up?!

Now I can agree with you on Bacuna.

I went to Derby away where Bacuna played in front of the back four and totally ran the game. It's hard to believe now but Reading were superb in that game, quick passing, one touch, running into space, closing down Derby etc etc.

And one of the worst aspects of Stams managements in my eyes was his failure to notice how well we played that day and never played that combination of players again.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2018 09:46

bcubed
Theroyalbox
bcubed

Is this a wind up?!

Now I can agree with you on Bacuna.

I went to Derby away where Bacuna played in front of the back four and totally ran the game. It's hard to believe now but Reading were superb in that game, quick passing, one touch, running into space, closing down Derby etc etc.

And one of the worst aspects of Stams managements in my eyes was his failure to notice how well we played that day and never played that combination of players again.

Yes but what you're not understanding is how you have to adapt to the way different sides play and especially playing away from home. A lot of people, Theroyalbox clearly, just don't understand the nuances of the game and think we can 'Barcelona' every team off the park.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Jan 2018 09:54

What I understand (!) is that when you come across a combination of players and tactics that work you stick to it
You don't change personnel every week as we did for most of the season.

The difference between that Derby performance and everything else I have seen this year is vast. Why wouldn't you persevere with it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2018 12:22

ALOL.

If there's criticism of Barrow it's that he's clueless defensively and your typical winger who goes missing and head drops when the going gets tough.

Poor technique. :lol:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Jan 2018 13:27

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
3points Probably lose Cat 1 academy status as well due to the cost of running it. It’s about £4m a year with a £1m coming back via contributions from the FA for English player development

So who do you think would stay and go? I think we would have the following players left

Jakkola

Richards
McShane
Blackett
Kelly
Clement
Kermogant
Evans
Watson
Meite
Gravenberch
Joey
McCleary
Bond

And the rest will leave

So let me get this straight, if they are still under contract and nobody comes in for them we just tell them to piss off?

Surely the more obvious interpretation is that the belief is players not included would have clubs come in for them?

Correct Ian. I was working on the assumption the others have some form of re-sale value (therefore we would sell them to help balance the books eg Moore, Bacuna, Mannone) or wouldn't want to drop down a division and the player would look to leave to play at a higher levels (Beerens and Jon Dadi were two I put in this category).

Clearly the squad would include more of the current U23s who've been around the first team this season as well like Barrett, Andresson, Rinomhota, Smith & Novakovic. I'd probably add a fit Mendes and Harriott to the list of retained players too (forgot about them).

But, as Blackburn discovered, it isn't easy to move players on who earn good money without a financial incentive to do so - hence Danny Graham is still there despite being heavily touted around for £2m last summer by his agent

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2018 13:57

probably not far off what we'd be left with. Bond won't stay though - ooc

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Jan 2018 15:50

Hound probably not far off what we'd be left with. Bond won't stay though - ooc

probably right. Jakkola is also OOC this summer as well - perhaps re-sign one out of the two and run with an academy product as back-up

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 24 Jan 2018 11:59

bcubed
windermereROYAL
Take a point off Barrow for being responsible for their goal. was crying out for a first time strike at the back post instead of farting around and getting blocked out. 20 seconds later we were behind.

:shock: are you seriously blaming us conceding on a player miscontrolling the ball in the opposition box?

It would be harsh to blame him for what followed but he absolutely should have shot.
As should Kelly in the first half
One of many current issues is a reluctance to shoot - probably related to lack of confidence

Harsh isn't really the word, ridiculous covers it better, but I asked in case it was just the way that WR worded it (which I suspect is the case).

I think everyone agrees we are very shot shy and it is absolutely down to confidence. In this specific case the pass to Barrow was just (and I do mean just) behind him. Were he in form he probably would've hit it 1st time anyway and it would've flown into the top corner.

As it is, he didn't fancy it 1st time, tried to control it (badly) and was closed down.

What we need is a few games where we score with all the goals going in off shins, backsides, knees. Of course that does mean getting the ball in the box with someone in there for it to hit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2018 12:07

agree. The ball was played in behind him. If he had shot first time, it wouldn't have had much power behind it. To be fair, with Kelly and JDB messed up with their passes also not quite being good enough. Basically the 3 of them combined to screw it up.

by If you still hate Futcher » 24 Jan 2018 12:12

^^^
and again down to form/confidence. Were they in form the pass from Kelly to JDB would've been good enough for him to hit 1st time rather than reaching for it and having to move it on

193 posts