Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Brentford

by Denver Royal » 21 Jan 2018 18:24

Longhorn1970
Denver Royal
Longhorn1970
Jeez :roll:

What, you didn't see it as an important game?

You said it was a 'big game' ! It certainly wasn't, important ? Nothing was at stake was it ? ...

Nothing at stake? Well, 3 points, for starters. Anyway, lets agree to disagree, and move on.

Tell me, give me your insight on Bod as a player.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Jan 2018 18:42

AthleticoSpizz
Victor Meldrew
Zip Bizarre how one poster on here always moans about Gunter when he has been one of our better players this season.
The right back position is the least of our worries right now.
Our strikers have scored a grand total of four League goals all season. We have two wingers whose confidence is shot and neither did anything yesterday. We have a third winger who was allegedly on the pitch in the second half although barely looked interested.

Then we have our CDM who is so slow and as usual got booked and was walking a tightrope. Our left back lasted half a game. Our expensive centre back got on the wrong side of his opponent and was left for dead.
We have our central midfielder who gets shrugged off the ball every week.

Still let’s pick on the player who turns out every week and put a brilliant block in to prevent a certain goal yesterday and was head and shoulders our most creative outlet. Madness.

Beauty is said to be in the eyes of the beholder. :wink:
From my posting you will see that my comments about Gunter were an aside.
As you rightly say there are so many things wrong all over the pitch and off it.

As for Gunter in particular it has taken him 4 years or so to start putting in a few crosses..
Maybe some time in the next 4 years he will learn how to defend.
He sums up for me what Stam is saying about the players not taking responsibility on the pitch.
Gunter takes the safe option nearly every time with throw-ins going backwards, passes going backwards and then the pointing.
If he has a winger taking him on he backs off and backs off allowing the winger to get into more and more dangerous areas.
Ade queried after the game why the full-backs don't slide the ball down the line-we play with 2 wingers (well, in theory or maybe Mo plus one other when he isn't aimlessly wandering) so why not use them?.
The major problem when we defend is that individual players don't take personal responsibility.
How many times this season have we seen 4 or more all looking at each other when a goal has been scored with an expression on their faces of "I thought you were going to deal with that".

I feel that Stam's time is up but I do have some sympathy with him when he says that players aren't thinking for themselves, something that Steve Coppell was also very keen on-the difference appears to be that Stam confuses the players so much that they are befuddled rather than having clear direction and in fact are not mentally strong enough to take decisions themselves.

Oh for a Simon Osborn, a Mick Gooding or a Richie Bowman to set the tone in the middle of the park rather than the clown of a Dutchman who seems to be first on the team sheet.
Oh for a Senior, Kitson or Doyle up front.
Oh for a Murty at right-back.
Oh for a pre-injury Sonko at the back
Oh for a Little or Gilkes on the wing
Oh for a Death or a Hanneman
Oh for a manager who can get his ideas across

Oh for a club that has some kind of rapport with the fans and supporters and not it's customers who are ordered to "back the boys and make some noise".

Oh f*** it I'm p****d off with all of it in keeping with so many others.
just add in the third season Ivar and a Brynjar...and I agree 100%

He has his dissenters, but Jon Dadi (despite not scoring Saturday) needs that decent run....even Kevin Doyle looked like a lost cause in his formative days......wasn’t afraid to have a go tho’

Was “washing my hair” yesterday but sounds like he was motm despite it all.....and probably nailed-on for being dropped by Jaap next game :shock:

Was that after tidying your sock drawer? :wink:
I nearly posted what you were really doing as a sign of what the team has been serving up but decided that poster confidentiality should apply.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jan 2018 18:47

that wasn’t my “sock drawer” Vic...next time you can actually cross the dodgey threshold :wink:

I’ll say it for you.

My beautiful mane is clean, and it’s come to something when “visiting the wifes cousin” is the better option.....and at least the coffee was warm :D

Nice meeting you :)

Nigelm1

by Nigelm1 » 21 Jan 2018 20:24

I can't see us winning t Burton or against Millwall. I'm afraid I gave up after the Burton game at home. The type of football we are playing is simply not for me - too boring!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jan 2018 22:10

Hound Can’t be arsed to read all that about Gunter but would say has been in our top 3 players this season with Barrow and Moore. Prob only 3 who can hold their heads up really

I agree and find the Gunter haters extremely tedious

I would add Bacuna to those three, especially when played in midfield
And Bod looked good and was very effective yesterday and has always shown plenty of effort when given the chance

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jan 2018 11:10

yeah agree on Bacuna. Forgot him, but he has been hampered by these weird one week injuries he keeps getting

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 11:47

I've actually given up on football but I really want to go in to league 1 because the away days look unbelievable, please can I have some confirmation that someone is on the same wavelength.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2018 12:21

Theroyalbox I've actually given up on football but I really want to go in to league 1 because the away days look unbelievable, please can I have some confirmation that someone is on the same wavelength.

Yep we all want to go down and be financially crippled for years to come just so you can go to Oldham away.

Grow up.

RoyalSwine90

by RoyalSwine90 » 22 Jan 2018 12:56

Theroyalbox I've actually given up on football but I really want to go in to league 1 because the away days look unbelievable, please can I have some confirmation that someone is on the same wavelength.

As daft as it sounds, I agree with you! Yes, I will be disappointed to get relegated and concerned for the welfare of our club, but the thought of visiting new grounds and renewing rivalries with Oxford and Swindon (If they are able to gain promotion from league 2) excite me more than the annual visits to Ipswich, Barnsley etc.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 13:34

Old Man Andrews

Yep we all want to go down and be financially crippled for years to come just so you can go to Oldham away.

Grow up.

Why would I want to go to Oldham? why would we be anymore financially crippled in league 1 than the championship? And if youre worried about the footballing aspect going to league 1 having a clear out and a rebuild for a couple of years wont be a bad thing for the club at all. We've moved absolutely nowhere since 2013 so something must be wrong. League 1 clear out and some cracking away days on the way cheers up grumpy

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Jan 2018 13:47

windermereROYAL
Hound ...
Barrow: 7 - usual Barrow performance. Dangerous, missing a final ball

Take a point off Barrow for being responsible for their goal. was crying out for a first time strike at the back post instead of farting around and getting blocked out. 20 seconds later we were behind.

:shock: are you seriously blaming us conceding on a player miscontrolling the ball in the opposition box?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2018 13:51

Theroyalbox League 1 clear out and some cracking away days

Does this epitomize the 'disconnect' I'm hearing about? Because I doubt the club shares, or would relish in, your agenda. :wink:

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 13:54

Denver Royal

Does this epitomize the 'disconnect' I'm hearing about? Because I doubt the club shares, or would relish in, your agenda. :wink:

I just think the club has totally lost its character and going in too league 1 might help it regain it in some bizarre way. (plus I want to go to Oldham)

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Jan 2018 14:15

Theroyalbox ...I want to go to Oldham

Don't, or if you do wear plenty of layers. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS, cold there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2018 14:58

Don't, or if you do wear plenty of layers. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS, cold there.

I only want to go to Oldham if someone scores a Simon Osborn lob.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jan 2018 15:05

I've had that Lasse Vibe chant in my head all day for some reason :oops:

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 22 Jan 2018 15:15

Hendo

In all seriousness do you not feel league 1 could benefit the club right now. Get a winning mentality back and just some kind of character this season has absolutely killed my passion off

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2018 15:20

Theroyalbox
Denver Royal

I just think the club has totally lost its character and going in too league 1 might help it regain it in some bizarre way. (plus I want to go to Oldham)

Oldham might be in Div 2 by then so perhaps you could pray that we draw them in the first round of the FA Cup (no entering at the 3rd round stage if you are in Div 1).
By the way, it takes quite a big leap of faith to expect that a bit of a clear out will automatically ensure promotion back to The Championship.
Just look at clubs like Plymouth, Portsmouth or Blackpool for instance or even........Oldham. :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2018 15:31

Theroyalbox
Hendo
If you still hate Futcher Don't, or if you do wear plenty of layers. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS, cold there.

In all seriousness do you not feel league 1 could benefit the club right now. Get a winning mentality back and just some kind of character this season has absolutely killed my passion off

I think it is the wrong attitude to have, to assume that if we go down we would be certain to come back up.

I would certainly rather stay in The Championship than go down to League 1, even if it meant we went down and won the league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jan 2018 15:42

Theroyalbox
Hendo
If you still hate Futcher Don't, or if you do wear plenty of layers. It's always, and I do mean ALWAYS, cold there.

No, smaller attendances, less income. No guarantee we can get higher earners off the wage bill - half the squad has just signed new long term contracts remember - even if they have relegation wage reductions in their contracts, they would still most likely be very high earners in L1. Club could easily be crippled.

Then there is the thought that going down would give us a chance to refresh and get a winning mentality back - we had it last season for a start but hasn't done us any favours this. We would, unsually, suddenly be a big fish in a small pond and unless we started well could easily find ourselves stuck down there for a few years. Look at Sheffield United and Forest for examples of clubs who would have expected to return quickly but took around 3 or 4 seasons to actually do it. Trips to Fleetwood might be fun for a season but after 2 or 3 seasons, the novelty would soon wear off to be replaced by desperation to get back up a division. Plus Reading don't do bouncing back, have we ever been promoted the season following a relegation? Struggling to think of one.

193 posts