Low away attendances

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Low away attendances

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2018 18:54

Royal & Ancient 4 of us made it through deep snow to Manchester in 1955 to see us lose to United ( 4-1 if I remember rightly) in a Cup replay travelling in an Austin A30 with side and rear windows completely frozen all the way. Home fans very tolerant of my youthful ranting. Think the Smith’s coach turned up midway through the second half as some blue and whites came onto the terraces, uncovered in those days. But playing on a snow covered pitch when they had to dig out the lines periodically took real men( and leather boots).
hat off to you (and your crew) R&A.....pre motorway days too?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Jan 2018 19:19

The Royal Forester Five. Yes that is how many went to Workington back in the sixes or seventies for a Friday night game. I can remember the names of two of them and have a fairly good guess at another one.
Edit:- and it was a league game.

Yep, I remember hearing about that Workington game back in the day. And I think there was another game around that time (Darlington?) when not many went, either.

Royal & Ancient 4 of us made it through deep snow to Manchester in 1955 to see us lose to United ( 4-1 if I remember rightly) in a Cup replay travelling in an Austin A30 with side and rear windows completely frozen all the way. Home fans very tolerant of my youthful ranting. Think the Smith’s coach turned up midway through the second half as some blue and whites came onto the terraces, uncovered in those days. But playing on a snow covered pitch when they had to dig out the lines periodically took real men( and leather boots).

Wow, epic! Very well done to you, sir. :wink:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Jan 2018 19:31

What about that Derby game where the snow meant that it was almost impossible to get to?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 23 Jan 2018 19:39

Winchester Royal I recall being part of 150 odd at Swansea in an FA cup replay in 2005.

Remember this, Forstet scored in extra time. Replay at the vetch on a Monday night?

Doncaster away a few years a go, 17:30 ko, think Mills got sent off for handball on the line. 2-1, couldn’t have been more than 200 there

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Jan 2018 19:50

I was on a coach of about 50 to Carlisle 1981. 0-0 mid week game. Blackie wasn't on the coach. But I he must have made it there somehow?

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 23 Jan 2018 20:45

Under 100 Wigan away 1990 stood behind the goal on a grass bank god we think were bad now.

Gobsheik

by Gobsheik » 23 Jan 2018 21:04

I can remember going to Newport with about half a coachload of fans back in the early eighties for a midweek match. The coaches front windscreen was smashed by vandals. On the way back to Reading it was pouring with rain and I think Colin or someone had to protect the driver from the rain with his overcoat. The coach finally broke down just past Newbury and we all had to wait for another coach to come and pick us up.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 23 Jan 2018 21:46

Rotherham away League Cup 3rd round October 78 (just had to look the date up, memory is not what it used to be). Can't recall the exact figure but less than 50 on a filthy midweek night. We were 2 down with not long to go and we were about to head back to the car when we scored. Scored again ended up 2-2 and we won the replay 1-0.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jan 2018 21:50

Let's see how many of us are at Burton next Tuesday. :roll:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Jan 2018 22:08

Elm Park Kid What about that Derby game where the snow meant that it was almost impossible to get to?

I was at that game as I was at University in Derby at the time and it was easy enough to walk to Pride Park. That said I can't quite remember what the turnout was like, my over-riding memory was Shane Long scoring a late winner and at the end of the match came over to chuck his shirt into the crowd, I felt like I was gonna get it then this huge guy just barged me out the way.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 24 Jan 2018 00:41

lowest away attendance ive been part of was a cold wet tuesday night in november at Forest in 2011 during a poor run of form. Around 180 of us there for that. lost 1-0

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 24 Jan 2018 08:05

For me it was away to Wigan on 31 October 1989.

Branfoot had just been sacked and Lew Chatterley was in temporary charge.

Me and my mate drove up. Had a few beers in a Rovers Return type pub and headed off to the ground to find the Away End turnstiles boarded up. Incongruously there was a copper on horseback outside the Main Stand. We asked him 'where do the away fans go then?' He laughed and asked why did we want to know that. We explained we were from Reading and he laughed more saying that they weren't expecting anybody from Reading tonight so we could go where we want!

Attendance 2,029.

Result. 3-1 defeat.

Appalling

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 24 Jan 2018 08:30

tidus_mi2
Elm Park Kid What about that Derby game where the snow meant that it was almost impossible to get to?

I was at that game as I was at University in Derby at the time and it was easy enough to walk to Pride Park. That said I can't quite remember what the turnout was like, my over-riding memory was Shane Long scoring a late winner and at the end of the match came over to chuck his shirt into the crowd, I felt like I was gonna get it then this huge guy just barged me out the way.

Me and my Dad were at this one as well, we were driving down from Stockport so a lot easier.

Always seem to do badly at Barnsley for numbers, had the back of stand to ourselves this year.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2018 08:40

Stockport Royal
tidus_mi2

Me and my Dad were at this one as well, we were driving down from Stockport so a lot easier.

Always seem to do badly at Barnsley for numbers, had the back of stand to ourselves this year.

People need to go to Barnsley in greater numbers. Lovely place with nice people. The music that is played as the players walk out is world class too and worth the price of admission. Any club that use the theme from The Hitman and Her gets a huge thumbs up from me.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jan 2018 08:50

The Real Sandhurst Royal Burnley away 2007/08 season on a Tuesday night.
Around 200 sitting on the cold wooden seats in the freezing cold.

I was there. We was robbed by Robbie Blake that night. Think 205 was the official figure but I certainly wasn't sitting.

Royal_jimmy 206 away to Preston when Rodgers was manager in 2009

I was there. What a game

I was there - got the train up and got there on about 50mins. Got the train back with Jimmy Kebe and Shane Long after two jacknifed lorries blocked the M1 all day.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jan 2018 09:00

John Smith
The Real Sandhurst Royal Burnley away 2007/08 season on a Tuesday night.
Around 200 sitting on the cold wooden seats in the freezing cold.

I was there. We was robbed by Robbie Blake that night. Think 205 was the official figure but I certainly wasn't sitting.

Jensen had the game of his life in goal for Burnley that night.

Lowest I've been in was a midweek away game at Shrewsbury in 1987. I counted 23 in the away end. It was the lowest attendance in the Division that season.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Jan 2018 11:53

Some excellent nominations on this thread.

Two that spring to mind for games I attended are both in the 1990/91 season, when things were looking very bad for the future of the club. the last 3 months of the season where just awful.

Chester away. Total attendance was 631. FACT: There has not been a lower attendance for a Football League game since this match.
Tranmere away. FOG. Friday night game that should never have taken place. I recall the whole country was pretty much blanketed making travel very difficult.

Both attracted about 30-40 away fans from memory.

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 24 Jan 2018 12:18

Went to Southend in the Checkatrade Trophy this season, was 21 of us in the away end, despite the official figure being around 40.

Lowest away attendance in the league for me was probably Bolton away in March 2015, the Tuesday before the Bradford FA Cup game. Can't have been more than a couple of hundred there to see as last minute equaliser from Jamie Mackie.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 24 Jan 2018 12:55

For me it was at Huddersfield and remember David Leworthy playing so sometime around 1990.

From memory there were only about 20-30 in the away end for an evening game. We were singing throughout the game, if only to keep warm.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jan 2018 12:58

Sutekh The lowest I can think of was about 40 or so that turned up at Stockport one evening for a 5-1 stuffing under Mr Bullivant#s reign
I was in Manchester at the time on business and Stockport County fan in the office offered to get me a ticket, I declined, probably worked out for the best