Time to think outside the box

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Time to think outside the box

by paddy20 » 25 Jan 2018 08:18

As seems likely that we will be unable to get any worthwhile signings in and our style is very unlikely to change its time to think outside the box.

We have two less than impressive strikers but we can't change that. Our defence is generally ok. Our only opportunity seems to do something in midfield.
We have tried the likes of VDB, Evans, Kelly all of whom are pretty defensive. We need to start looking at a far more attacking midfield.
My own view which may be controversial would be a diamond with two up and one back. Blackett I feel could perform the defensive part. He is good on the ball and can pick a pass. He is also strong and tall. Switch Macleery inside. He has lost some of his pace on the wing but is tricky and clever. Push Bacuna forward, he's fast and creative.

if we don't change something we are doomed to fail

russyb

Re: Time to think outside the box

by russyb » 25 Jan 2018 08:23

really needs Bacuna in the middle there alongside Edwards (or swift when fit) /Kelly

and Evans/VDB in front of the back four would do a job if you ask me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2018 08:23

paddy20 As seems likely that we will be unable to get any worthwhile signings in and our style is very unlikely to change its time to think outside the box.

We have two less than impressive strikers but we can't change that. Our defence is generally ok. Our only opportunity seems to do something in midfield.
We have tried the likes of VDB, Evans, Kelly all of whom are pretty defensive. We need to start looking at a far more attacking midfield.
My own view which may be controversial would be a diamond with two up and one back. Blackett I feel could perform the defensive part. He is good on the ball and can pick a pass. He is also strong and tall. Switch Macleery inside. He has lost some of his pace on the wing but is tricky and clever. Push Bacuna forward, he's fast and creative.

if we don't change something we are doomed to fail

Why are you even suggesting this? Are you forgetting who our manager is?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2018 08:29

Why, they don't think inside the box either

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2018 08:29

My view - and it really won't happen, should go 4-4-2 (or poss 4-4-1-1) and attack using the pace of our wingers.

Go with a starting line up of (based on McShane being out and who I would play not who Stam would pick):

Mannone

Gunter
Ilori
Moore
Richards

Popa
Edwards
Bacuna
Barrow

JDB
Kermorgant (or Swift/Kelly if playing 4-4-1-1)

Can still play a passing game but with the tactic of recycling the ball quickly to the wingers, hope to isolate the full backs and use their pace to beat them. Front two both with decent heading ability to attack crosses with Edwards/Bacuna taking it turns to drive forward to come on to any 2nd balls or pull backs.

Won't happen but could be worth a go.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jan 2018 08:38

I would just like to think old school and play 4-4-2 it has worked in the past for us and cant see why it would not again. I know it wont happen but I would love Stam just to do it to humour the many on here that would love to see it.

------------------------------------- Mannone------------------------------------
Gunter------------Llori--------------------------Moore -----------Blackett
------------------------Kelly----------------------Bacuna------------------------
---GMac----------------------------------------------------------------Beerens
--------------Barrow or Smith------------Yann or Jon Dadi-------------
I feel this would give a good balance and give a speedy forward alongside a forward to hold up the ball and take crosses. 2 x wingers who are wingers and can cross the ball and the most dynamic pacey CM we have.

To me with the squad we have this makes so much more sense.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jan 2018 08:39

Stranded My view - and it really won't happen, should go 4-4-2 (or poss 4-4-1-1) and attack using the pace of our wingers.

Go with a starting line up of (based on McShane being out and who I would play not who Stam would pick):

Mannone

Gunter
Ilori
Moore
Richards

Popa
Edwards
Bacuna
Barrow

JDB
Kermorgant (or Swift/Kelly if playing 4-4-1-1)

Can still play a passing game but with the tactic of recycling the ball quickly to the wingers, hope to isolate the full backs and use their pace to beat them. Front two both with decent heading ability to attack crosses with Edwards/Bacuna taking it turns to drive forward to come on to any 2nd balls or pull backs.

Won't happen but could be worth a go.

Lol I was typing at exactly the same time virtually the same thing

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Jan 2018 08:50

I'm that despondent that I don't even care who we sign .... even if we did sign a really good striker we'd be shit. It's not as if we're creating tons of chances that our current strikers are missing, we are not creating much and conceding lots of silly goals. And that's not going to change.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2018 09:17

linkenholtroyal I would just like to think old school and play 4-4-2 it has worked in the past for us and cant see why it would not again. I know it wont happen but I would love Stam just to do it to humour the many on here that would love to see it.

------------------------------------- Mannone------------------------------------
Gunter------------Llori--------------------------Moore -----------Blackett
------------------------Kelly----------------------Bacuna------------------------
---GMac----------------------------------------------------------------Beerens
--------------Barrow or Smith------------Yann or Jon Dadi-------------
I feel this would give a good balance and give a speedy forward alongside a forward to hold up the ball and take crosses. 2 x wingers who are wingers and can cross the ball and the most dynamic pacey CM we have.

To me with the squad we have this makes so much more sense.

This isnt far from what I would go for. Potentially swap in Edwards for Beerens and move Barrow to the wing if we had to go 4-3-3

We've missed an on form and fit Swift badly this year. Our best performances have been when he has been at the heart of it. A midfield of Bacuna, Swift and Edwards/Kelly could be really potent.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jan 2018 09:20

Those who think Sam Smith is even near good enough for the first team are the reason why Jaap Stam is the manager and you aren't

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 25 Jan 2018 09:34

Would have Popa ahead of GMac every time imo ..

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 25 Jan 2018 09:50

I thought this thread was a clever name for encouraging the players to shoot outside the box*

*which they never seem to do.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jan 2018 10:05

John Smith Those who think Sam Smith is even near good enough for the first team are the reason why Jaap Stam is the manager and you aren't

In regards to pacey strikers we are a bit short on that front (the nicky forster to the cureton) I would take barrow and Smith in that position over GMac and Aluko any day.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 25 Jan 2018 10:08

John Smith Those who think Sam Smith is even near good enough for the first team are the reason why Jaap Stam is the manager and you aren't

+1

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2018 10:20

I don't think shape or team selection are nearly as important as approach and player decisions.

If the players move for each other, try to be positive and up their tempo it will improve. They are the ones on the pitch. They have to take ownership of the problem.

You can hide from the problem by saying 'Im doing what the manager asks and if I stop I'll be dropped' all you like. You're clearly not doing exactly what the manager wants. There's no way he's telling you to play half heartedly at walking pace, show no movement, be negative and take no responsibility.

He may not be communicating what he wants well. Or organising or training competently. But the manager can't be solely responsible for what happens on thr pitch. He isn't there.

And the I'll be dropped excuse is bullshit. Take ownership, play well and get a result and you won't be dropped. Even if you are, you've done your bit to help and it's out of your hands with no blame on you.

They're all just fricking sulking because it's not going well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jan 2018 10:23

linkenholtroyal

In regards to pacey strikers we are a bit short on that front (the nicky forster to the cureton) I would take barrow and Smith in that position over GMac and Aluko any day.

Never post on here again. Your time's up. Your marbles are well and truly lost.

Maybe take your crazy ideas to the Cambridge United forum instead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2018 11:19

Snowflake Royal I don't think shape or team selection are nearly as important as approach and player decisions.

There is certainly truth in this. As we've seen there is no magic bullet in terms of team selection which will 'fix' how we are currently playing.

In saying that, not seeing McShane, Aluko or JVDB on the team sheet certainly wouldn't harm our performances

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Jan 2018 11:45

Hound
Snowflake Royal I don't think shape or team selection are nearly as important as approach and player decisions.

There is certainly truth in this. As we've seen there is no magic bullet in terms of team selection which will 'fix' how we are currently playing.

In saying that, not seeing McShane, Aluko or JVDB on the team sheet certainly wouldn't harm our performances

I totally agree on McShane and Joey being 'rested'. Shame on JVDB, maybe a few years ago he would have been a great championship player, however the style of the football in the championship is too dynamic and technical than it used to be.
Aluko, there really is a class player in there somewhere....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2018 11:46

Coppells Lost Coat
Hound

Aluko, there really is a class player in there somewhere....

Keeps it very well hidden.........

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 25 Jan 2018 12:08

If we're really looking for something outside the box (or left field) then what about signing Joe 90 with the Lionel Messi brain scan upload