214 posts

In or Out?

In - things can only get better
19%
Out - I’m gonna leave you baby
71%
Don’t know - dunno lol
5%
FiNeRaIn (because he's had enough of all these Ian Royal - consumer rights champion options)
5%

Total votes: 185
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Unfortunately ANOTHER In or Out poll

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2018 09:09

Theroyalbox I just want to know what the f*ck is going on?

1) Who is signing the players? Brian T
2) Where are the owners? Who cares
3) Where is Brian T? understandably hiding after a shambolic summer
4) Why don't we have any money? because we spent a record amount in the summer, and also spent a large amount under Clarke, mainly spent on daft loan and agents fees

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Jan 2018 09:13

Yeah, I'm baffled why people think we should have money for January.

We spent a truckload (for us) in the summer, and I doubt our income is particularly high. It's no surprise we're teetering on FFP. It's like people want us to break it and get fined just so we can sign some players

under the tin

by under the tin » 29 Jan 2018 09:15

Maneki Neko
About 90% of the blame for the appalling things we have seen rest squarely on Stam's shoulders,

actually think its much more evenly shared than that. the DOF has to take his fir share for some appallingly wrong headed transfer dealings in the summer that saw us spend a record amount, whilst also not addressing any of our problem areas, and buying lots of players who aren't good enough

McDermott, frequently in interview, talked about "working with what we've got".
Let's face it, he didn't have much choice.
This concept appears completely alien to Stam.
I've got this image in my mind of my 3 year old grandson with his wooden shape sorter, wooden mallet in hand, trying to batter the square peg into the triangular hole, using the wrong end of the mallet.
Stam OUT.
He's OUT of ideas, OUT of his depth, OUT of excuses, and OUT of time.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jan 2018 09:56

double d If we do not beat Burton and Millwall, we are going to be relegated.

That is simply not true.

Everyone needs to calm right down. We are going through a prolonged bad spell but there is no way we are going down - there are more than three teams worse than us in this league: fact. We were never going to go up this season so let's stick with what we've got, see the season out and take stock in the summer. Next season will be a fresh start and in this league, who knows what will happen? A couple of decent additions in the summer and we might get another shot at the playoffs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2018 11:20

Maneki Neko 3) Where is Brian T? understandably hiding after a shambolic summer

tbh, the only poor signing was Aluko. Edwards was maybe a bit unnecessary, and Clement has a lot to prove but is very young and has potential.

At the end of the window Obita was fully fit, so I can see why we didn't get an LB. Maybe a RB, but not sure how long they thought Watson would be out for. And don't think its an easy sell to say come in and spend the season watching Gunter play every single minute from the bench. Otherwise we covered all the positions except striker. Bacuna and Barrow were very good signings, Mannone steady and I like Dadi, just not as #1 striker.

I'd be very interested to know what happened with Aluko and why we brought him in. Was it Stam pushing for him, knowing that it would leave us short of cash for a striker in the Jan window (or was he told different?), or did BT force him on him (very unlikely I'd say).

Either way its been a absolute disaster signing. A poor player on high wages on a long contract, who appears to have stitched us up doing any business in this window

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 29 Jan 2018 11:32

John Smith

That is simply not true.

Everyone needs to calm right down. We are going through a prolonged bad spell but there is no way we are going down - there are more than three teams worse than us in this league: fact. We were never going to go up this season so let's stick with what we've got, see the season out and take stock in the summer. Next season will be a fresh start and in this league, who knows what will happen? A couple of decent additions in the summer and we might get another shot at the playoffs.

Whilst not beating Burton and Millwall is certainly not terminal, nobody is too good to go down, and it's an arrogant attitude to have.

Within the past few weeks, we've lost to the team currently 24th in the table at home twice. We are rock bottom of the form table with 2 points from a possible 18. After Millwall, we play the teams who are currently 8th, 7th, 14th, 2nd and 1st. Although quite unlikely, mathematically we could be in the bottom three by teatime on Saturday.

Although I still do believe we won't go down, this isn't a blip or just a bad run of form: we are in a relegation battle.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jan 2018 11:36

CavershamRoyal
John Smith

That is simply not true.

Whilst not beating Burton and Millwall is certainly not terminal, nobody is too good to go down, and it's an arrogant attitude to have.

Within the past few weeks, we've lost to the team currently 24th in the table at home twice. We are rock bottom of the form table with 2 points from a possible 18. After Millwall, we play the teams who are currently 8th, 7th, 14th, 2nd and 1st. Although quite unlikely, mathematically we could be in the bottom three by teatime on Saturday.

Although I still do believe we won't go down, this isn't a blip or just a bad run of form: we are in a relegation battle.

I take your point on board that we are losing to teams around us and that our form is bad - I'm not in complete denial but what do you think they're posting on the Birmingham forum or the Sunderland forum? Take a look at how bad Hull City are, for example, they are below us in the table with a similarly bad form and have found themselves still in the Cup which won't do them any favours.

I honestly don't think we are in a relegation battle...yet. If we don't win in February then I might start to accept it, but at the moment it's a bad run and we're in lower mid-table.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2018 11:51

Hound

tbh, the only poor signing was Aluko. Edwards was maybe a bit unnecessary, and Clement has a lot to prove but is very young and has potential.

At the end of the window Obita was fully fit, so I can see why we didn't get an LB. Maybe a RB, but not sure how long they thought Watson would be out for. And don't think its an easy sell to say come in and spend the season watching Gunter play every single minute from the bench. Otherwise we covered all the positions except striker. Bacuna and Barrow were very good signings, Mannone steady and I like Dadi, just not as #1 striker.

I'd be very interested to know what happened with Aluko and why we brought him in. Was it Stam pushing for him, knowing that it would leave us short of cash for a striker in the Jan window (or was he told different?), or did BT force him on him (very unlikely I'd say).

Either way its been a absolute disaster signing. A poor player on high wages on a long contract, who appears to have stitched us up doing any business in this window

this is utter nonsense.

we needed a proper striker, and a full back (before obita was crocked, not after, because 2 full backs isn't enough fullbacks, due to the risk of injury) instead we bought a load of midfielders for our already overloaded midfield option list and blew more money than weve ever spent before doing so. :| :| :| :| :|

aluko is awful, barrow is decent enough, bacuna is ok, clement is just displacing our youth players from U23 football, Dadi seems a decent chap, but has never ever looked like he could be a main striker anywhere.
if it was a choice between all of them and going all out to get the striker we really needed, there should have been only one option.

you say the only bad signing was aluko....but that's our record signing, pin all our hopes on, last minute desperation buy. that alone is enough to question the summers business

as it happens I think Edwards is exactly the kind of signing we needed if we were going to buy unnecessary midfielders, instead of a load more flaky low quality wide men to play in a narrow formation, but otherwise the summer was an utter shambles. Brian knows it, I know it, & you know it.

double d

by double d » 29 Jan 2018 12:14

John Smith
CavershamRoyal
John Smith That is simply not true.

I take your point on board that we are losing to teams around us and that our form is bad - I'm not in complete denial but what do you think they're posting on the Birmingham forum or the Sunderland forum? Take a look at how bad Hull City are, for example, they are below us in the table with a similarly bad form and have found themselves still in the Cup which won't do them any favours.

I honestly don't think we are in a relegation battle...yet. If we don't win in February then I might start to accept it, but at the moment it's a bad run and we're in lower mid-table.

Sorry John but you are being utterly delusional. We are in a relegation battle. We are only 4 points off the bottom 3.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2018 12:20

double d
John Smith
CavershamRoyal

Sorry John but you are being utterly delusional. We are in a relegation battle. We are only 4 points off the bottom 3.

10th place Watford are only 4 points off the bottom 3 in the premier league.. I agree with John, it's not about how many points away you are it's about the quality of those behind you. It's too early to put us in the "battle" category.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jan 2018 12:22

double d Sorry John but you are being utterly delusional. We are in a relegation battle. We are only 4 points off the bottom 3.

We aren't in a relegation battle.

Hull City are in a relegation battle. They are absolutely terrible, in awful form and have Nigel Adkins as their manager. Add to that Sunderland, Burton and Birmingham and we are laughing our way to safety.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 29 Jan 2018 12:30

John Smith
double d Sorry John but you are being utterly delusional. We are in a relegation battle. We are only 4 points off the bottom 3.

Hull City are in a relegation battle. They are absolutely terrible, in awful form and have Nigel Adkins as their manager. Add to that Sunderland, Burton and Birmingham and we are laughing our way to safety.

We are absolutely terrible, in awful form and have Jaap Stam as our manager :lol:

I do take your point, and maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but if a few results go against us suddenly we're staring down the barrel. It's just a bit too close for comfort at the moment, and it's concerning that we may end up sleepwalking towards the bottom three.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2018 12:32

Maneki Neko
Hound

this is utter nonsense.

we needed a proper striker, and a full back (before obita was crocked, not after, because 2 full backs isn't enough fullbacks, due to the risk of injury) instead we bought a load of midfielders for our already overloaded midfield option list and blew more money than weve ever spent before doing so. :| :| :| :| :|

aluko is awful, barrow is decent enough, bacuna is ok, clement is just displacing our youth players from U23 football, Dadi seems a decent chap, but has never ever looked like he could be a main striker anywhere.
if it was a choice between all of them and going all out to get the striker we really needed, there should have been only one option.

you say the only bad signing was aluko....but that's our record signing, pin all our hopes on, last minute desperation buy. that alone is enough to question the summers business

as it happens I think Edwards is exactly the kind of signing we needed if we were going to buy unnecessary midfielders, instead of a load more flaky low quality wide men to play in a narrow formation, but otherwise the summer was an utter shambles. Brian knows it, I know it, & you know it.

And if we’d brought a load of full backs in, then Obita and Gunter has stayed for all season - but Kelly, Swift and Evans got crocked for the season, you’d be asking why we brought in a load of full backs when we needed midfielders

And like I said, who’d you be able to bring in knowing they’d only be cover for imo 2 of the better FBs in the division?

And again on this mythical striker - who did you have in mind? Should we have offered 10,12,15 mill for the people we tried to buy? It still would have by no means guaranteed goals

I’d rather you have tried to answer my q on your thoughts on aluko and why he was signed rather than that rant

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jan 2018 12:41

John Smith

We will have to win games to avoid relegation. Who do you see us beating?

However we stack up on paper, I don't see a worse team in this division right now with absolutely no signs of improvement anywhere on the pitch.

On that basis, if I was a betting man, I would make us current favourites for relegation. To suggest we're not even in a relegation battle is delusional beyond belief

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Jan 2018 12:54

Maneki Neko
Hound

this is utter nonsense.

I have a feeling that Aluko was bought because a) he was available b) was on decent form towards the end of last season c) people knew him so BT didn't have to google him.
Also there could be the belief that he had that game changing ability. The Play offs we saw his class, just the playing style does not suit him at all. I will defend Aluko because he is not the only player out there who is under performing, just that he was last in the door with that price tag on him.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jan 2018 13:34

Woodcote Royal Who do you see us beating?

I see us beating Burton tomorrow, Millwall on Saturday and Nottingham Forest on 20th February.

Even if we lose one and draw two of them we will be OK.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jan 2018 13:57

CavershamRoyal
John Smith

We are absolutely terrible, in awful form and have Jaap Stam as our manager :lol:

Better than Hull then?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jan 2018 14:08

John Smith

I see us beating Burton tomorrow, Millwall on Saturday and Nottingham Forest on 20th February.

Yep, delusional :|

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jan 2018 14:11

Woodcote Royal
John Smith

Yep, delusional :|

Do you not believe there are more than three worse teams in the league than us?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jan 2018 14:17

No, we are currently one of the worst, if not the worst team in the division and that view is supported by recent results and who those results have been against.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 29 Jan 2018 14:20, edited 2 times in total.

214 posts