Why we are sh*t

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Why we are sh*t

by Hound » 28 Jan 2018 20:56

Re: the fullbacks. I don’t think Blackett is that bad. Prefer him at CB but he’s ok, better than those on here would make out. Jaap played him there over Obita a fair bit last year

Agree Bacuna should be a fixture in CM - and would far rather him there and Blackett at LB than Joey trundling about at CM and Bacuna at full back

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2018 22:37

Hound Re: the fullbacks. I don’t think Blackett is that bad. Prefer him at CB but he’s ok, better than those on here would make out. Jaap played him there over Obita a fair bit last year

Agree Bacuna should be a fixture in CM - and would far rather him there and Blackett at LB than Joey trundling about at CM and Bacuna at full back

I think Blackett can be good at fullback, and started well this season at left back. But something went in his play, probably mentally. Personally, I think it was a combination of having come from Utd and being a bit cocky and confident on the ball, and our general lack of movement. So he'd hold on a bit long, roll it about a bit trying to twist and turn too casually under pressure and got caught out a few times. Then dropped a few clanger passes and it got in his head. He's been a bit of a catastrophe there since.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jan 2018 22:57

Why?

Stams incompetence mainly, for his tactics and selections.

He has insisted on playing these guys -

Joey is a liability.ponderous and clumsy, a yellow card waiting to happen
Beerens has done nothing to deserve a place. Not good enough for Championship statndard
McCleary is injured/unfit/lost interest - take your pick, he shouldn't be playing anyway
Kermy - not at the races this season, doesn't look fit either
McShane - mistakes every game, slow, seemingly has an attitude problem too, if Stevenage away is anything to go by
Aluko - had one good game that I've seen, but generally ineffective and no end product

But that still leaves enough good quality players in the squad
Select people in the best positions for their skills and experience, select people on merit, select those on form and be consistent

Seems easy enough

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jan 2018 23:00

It’s odd to see the owners don’t appear to ever be at the madjeski, but I think running several clubs and personal businesses make it difficult to do so. I vaguely recall someone can’t remember if it was Stam himself saying he’s had a meeting with the owners so I’ll give them a benefit of a doubt, especially considering the money they’ve invested.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2018 06:33

Think It’s been said a few times that Gourlay runs the football side

Think we make too much of the owners being there or not - they’ve put their money into Gourlay to make the football decisions

Oh and one other thing missed off the OP. Swift being injured all year. He is potentially our best and most creative player.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Jan 2018 12:01

It's actually been a downward spiral of decline ever since Madejski sold the club

Ever since our club has been pimped by money laundering corrupt Russians, Thais and now Chinese.

We're basically fcucked.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2018 12:25

We are sh!t because the team is totally devoid of confidence.

The defining moment of the season so far is the football played between the 83rd minute against Cardiff and the 4th minute at Ipswich.

In that Cardiff game, we were playing well and 2-0 up both teams having chances to score. From the moment Cardiff got their first goal, confidence disappeared almost immediately. The team paniced and the draw was inevitable, it was almost a shock that we didn't lose the game.

Add to that letting in a sloppy goal at Ipswich in the opening minutes and you have the nucleus of where we are now. I am pretty convinced that if we had got the win V Cardiff, we would be comfortably around 12th now instead of drifting toward potential relegation.