Stam blames poor past management

Biscuitman62

Re: Stam blames poor past management

by Biscuitman62 » 28 Jan 2018 21:04

Stam didn't blame Poor management in the past for our 3rd place finish last season. This season is (obviously) further on in time so which poor management is he blaming ?

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 28 Jan 2018 21:17

Platypuss It suggests that Stam doesn't have much of a say in signings TBF.

Signings from his and Tevreden's former club suggest's Stam has had at least some input in who comes in . Jaakola, Clement, Van den berg and Beerens (Not from Ajax but Dutch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2018 22:23

Hound
Simon's Church Maybe he's talking about th £15m loss we made the season before he took over and since then we've stopped receiving parachute payments? Or the fact we had a wage bill of almost double the likes of Leeds and Ipswich?

The wage bill was and still is horrendous

But it’s not like we’ve really had to cut back this year on wages, as it shows with the lengthy contracts handed out and the new signings who no doubt didn’t come cheap. He’s not had to sell anyone this year.

If he’d said this at the same time last year, I’d have sympathy. As it is, it just comes over as excuse making

We did need to. We just didn't.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jan 2018 22:26

Biscuitman62

Signings from his and Tevreden's former club suggest's Stam has had at least some input in who comes in . Jaakola, Clement, Van den berg and Beerens (Not from Ajax but Dutch.

Jaakola isn't dutch.

Did come from Ajax Cape Town so there is some dutch theme there though :P

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2018 22:27

genome Was Popa on high wages then?

Assuming this is directed at me, any wages for a player you sign in January and then completely sideline bringing in an additional two players in his position one transfer window later is an utter waste. It demonstrates a total lack of coherent strategy. Don't buy short term fixes you'll barely use and then replace.

How many attackers has Stam signed in three widows?

Beerens
Harriott
Meite
Popa
Barrow
Aluko
Mendes
Bodvarsson
Grabban
Mutch
Swift

You could only really say three of them have properly contributed. And one of those is Beerens. :shock:
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 28 Jan 2018 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Jan 2018 22:31

Snowflake Royal

Assuming this is directed at me, any wages for a player you sign in January and then completely sideline bringing in an additional two players in his position one transfer window later is an utter waste. It demonstrates a total lack of coherent strategy. Don't buy short term fixes you'll barely use and then replace.

It was a genuine question...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2018 22:33

genome
Snowflake Royal

It was a genuine question...

It was a genuine answer.

Davezk

by Davezk » 28 Jan 2018 22:37

Biscuitman62

Jaakola isn't dutch but your point is still valid

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 28 Jan 2018 23:29

The man has to go. He's a clown

alfie9

by alfie9 » 29 Jan 2018 02:04

Snowflake Royal

Beerens
Harriott
Meite
Popa
Barrow
Aluko
Mendes
Bodvarsson
Grabban
Mutch
Swift

You could only really say three of them have properly contributed. And one of those is Beerens. :shock:

Harriott looked like he would've turned out great if he hadn't picked up that major injury and then fallen off the face of the earth. Might've even saved us that 7 million wasted on Aluko

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2018 02:28

Reading4eva The man has to go. He's a clown

Smartest thing you've ever said.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jan 2018 11:08

If there's one piece of good news to come out of this nightmare it's that Stam won't be getting anymore money to waste on over priced, under performing wingers.

I wouldn't give him another brassing farthing and have everything crossed in hope that, if the owners have pulled up the financial draw bridge, they are also working behind the scenes to find a replacement/ temporary appointment to see out the rest of the season .

Frankly, I can see us not winning another game this season under Stam and find it hard to believe that the same owners who were willing to spend £13m in the summer are now prepared to sit back and watched us descend into the 3rd tier.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 29 Jan 2018 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2018 11:19

I suppose it's an easy phantom to blame. The club are pretty closed up so too the unsuspecting fan it's a fair excuse.

It's the obvious morale problem that I'm worried about. I still firmly believe that, on paper, we have a good team. So it's hard to lay blame anywhere but Stam at the moment.

Even if it were true that past mishandling of finances has had a major effect on the club today it doesn't answer the most pertinent questions. Not many fans are complaining about transfer activity (particularly with the reported summer fees) so the whole thing is a bit a red herring. The club is suffering despite having good players not because we can't get good players.

The responsible thing to do would be address the glaring confidence problem and where that stems from, which to me can only be put down to tactical ineptitude and poor man management. We are sadly past injuries being the issue as they were for much of the first half of the season.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 29 Jan 2018 11:42

NewCorkSeth I suppose it's an easy phantom to blame. The club are pretty closed up so too the unsuspecting fan it's a fair excuse.

It's the obvious morale problem that I'm worried about. I still firmly believe that, on paper, we have a good team. So it's hard to lay blame anywhere but Stam at the moment.

Even if it were true that past mishandling of finances has had a major effect on the club today it doesn't answer the most pertinent questions. Not many fans are complaining about transfer activity (particularly with the reported summer fees) so the whole thing is a bit a red herring. The club is suffering despite having good players not because we can't get good players.

The responsible thing to do would be address the glaring confidence problem and where that stems from, which to me can only be put down to tactical ineptitude and poor man management. We are sadly past injuries being the issue as they were for much of the first half of the season.

+1

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Jan 2018 11:47

Jaap Stam A lot of players are quite expensive.
No shit Stam, maybe you should have thought about that before signing a lot of players.

Who is he pointing the finger at here - Who actioned these signings? Did Stam have a say in it or did the Director of Football sign them all? Did Gourlay press the wrong button on his calculator and/or assume ticket sales would be high based on the exciting promotion chasing football the manager was supposed to get the team playing?

Name Names Stam and hold your hands up if you were part of it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Jan 2018 11:53

It's a shame the club messed Brian McDermott around the last time they hired and fired him because whether you agree with his tactics or whether he will move the club forward or not, one thing you can guarantee is that if you bring him in now he will get the players motivated and giving 100% for the cause and that in itself may well be enough to see us escape relegation.

Brian would be crazy to even consider it though, but any club in this situation should already have a number of plan B options available, sadly I think our new Director of Football would struggle to produce his weekly shopping list, never mind a managerial shortlist - unless you want it to include the names of 3 more Ajax coaches and himself.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2018 11:56

These are terrible comments. He's been here long enough. he has his team in place, and these are their players.
Any financial mismanagement under Clarke, is equalled with the appalling summer we had under his stewardship.
and he cant be criticising the bloke who took us up to the prem on a shoestring can he? does that even come under the FFP period any more?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2018 11:58

Beerens
Harriott
Meite
Popa
Barrow
Aluko
Mendes
Bodvarsson
Grabban
Mutch
Swift

You could only really say three of them have properly contributed. And one of those is Beerens.

THIS^^^ with the caveat that its BT signing them not Stam

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 29 Jan 2018 12:30

Stam is probably trying to make a fair point, but as usual, he doesnt translate too well.

Who knows what the internal stewardship , decision making process, & recruitment policy is internally - however from my lofty view BT comes across overly slick, with little experience , and I have to question his cv for his current role.

Clearly - the senior management in the club havent got the recruitment process right - and when you have a rookie Manager, a rookie DoF - and owners who dont have experience of the English game - then you have a recipe for (potential ) disaster .

Gourlay was obvioulsy bought in to steer the ship for the owners - but if we are as financially strapped as the club are saying we are , and given the above, I cant forsee any improvements , ceratinly in the short term.

As much as its a ball ache for us to turn up every week, watch the horrors unfold & leave the ground feeling let down, we, the supporters really need to get behind the Team. The pathetic booing won't help. ( albeit , its mostly the Teen's around me who do, and they know no better) .

That said - I'm digging out my 1999 pants - just in case.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Jan 2018 13:11

El Diablo Stam is probably trying to make a fair point, but as usual, he doesnt translate too well.

Who knows what the internal stewardship , decision making process, & recruitment policy is internally - however from my lofty view BT comes across overly slick, with little experience , and I have to question his cv for his current role.

Clearly - the senior management in the club havent got the recruitment process right - and when you have a rookie Manager, a rookie DoF - and owners who dont have experience of the English game - then you have a recipe for (potential ) disaster .

Gourlay was obvioulsy bought in to steer the ship for the owners - but if we are as financially strapped as the club are saying we are , and given the above, I cant forsee any improvements , ceratinly in the short term.

As much as its a ball ache for us to turn up every week, watch the horrors unfold & leave the ground feeling let down, we, the supporters really need to get behind the Team. The pathetic booing won't help. ( albeit , its mostly the Teen's around me who do, and they know no better) .

That said - I'm digging out my 1999 pants - just in case.

+1. Just that maybe Gourlay should have have come in sooner. Maybe we'd have had a proper pre season and better recruitment policy.

Is the booing actually directed at the players or is it aimed at Stam? obvs is difficult to tell unless you ask the yoofs. I have always clapped the players if they come over to the crowds.