Stam blames poor past management

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stam blames poor past management

by Hound » 29 Jan 2018 13:29

One thing with being ‘financially strapped’

The way I read it is that the owners have money and are happy to spend it, but we’d get hammered by FFP if we did

I’ve whinged a bit about Aluko etc on the other thread, but baffles me why were we handing out contracts like confetti all season? If the wage bill is the issue (which I’m sure it is), why have we given new contracts to McShane, Joey, Yann esp (not to mention Obita(fair enough), and a number of youth players)

We’ve also only got rid of Popa this window. We could and should have tried to offload Quinn, Mendes, Beerens, Blackett, Clement, Smith and even a Kelly/Evans on loans at the very least.

For all the possibly correct moaning about the summer signings, the real issue here is having such a big squad on presumably tidy wages. Reckon we could have lost all of that lot, used the U23 as squad back up and not lost a lot

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jan 2018 14:13

Biscuitman62 Stam didn't blame Poor management in the past for our 3rd place finish last season.

You don't know that. Maybe he did, but he didn't go public with it. Either way, it doesn't mean we weren't affected by it. It doesn't mean we - as a club, under any manager - weren't handicapped in some ways. When he was hired, Stam may have been made aware that funds were limited, due in part to some 'mistakes' in the past. Ok, fair enough. So maybe he knew when he signed on. But as it turned out, he then had us in 3rd for much of the season. Would have been nice last Jan to have a bigger war chest available to bring in some real difference-maker's to help us push on and get over the line. Keep in mind, we only finished 8pts behind Brighton and Newcastle (and I'd imagine both those clubs were quite grateful at the time for our past indiscretions, as it were). If club finances hadn't been mismanaged in the past, who knows how much of a difference it could have made.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jan 2018 14:37

Denver Royal
Biscuitman62 Stam didn't blame Poor management in the past for our 3rd place finish last season.

You don't know that. Maybe he did, but he didn't go public with it. It certainly doesn't mean we - as a club, under any manager - weren't handicapped in some ways. When he was hired he may have been made aware that funds were limited, due in part to some 'mistakes' in the past. Ok, fair enough. So maybe he knew when he signed on. But as it turned out, he then had us in 3rd for much of the season. Would have been nice last Jan to have a bigger war chest available to bring in some real difference-maker's to help us push on and get over the line. Keep in mind, we only finished 8pts behind Brighton and Newcastle. If club finances hadn't been mismanaged in the past, who knows how much of a difference it could have made.

We spent plenty in January to be fair. Illori on a permanent deal plus Oxford, Grabban and Mutch on loan was a pretty significant outlay given the new ownership hadn't been confirmed yet.

I've been concerned for some time that we might fall foul of FFP. I know the rules are slightly more lenient now with regard to owners investment but even allowing for that, the play off revenue and the breaks a CAT A Academy gives us, I can't see how we're up to scratch given our net spend since January last year.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Jan 2018 14:41

Illori on a permanent deal plus Oxford, Grabban and Mutch

even more money on people who don't play
ffs

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jan 2018 14:53

Vision
Denver Royal

You don't know that. Maybe he did, but he didn't go public with it. It certainly doesn't mean we - as a club, under any manager - weren't handicapped in some ways. When he was hired he may have been made aware that funds were limited, due in part to some 'mistakes' in the past. Ok, fair enough. So maybe he knew when he signed on. But as it turned out, he then had us in 3rd for much of the season. Would have been nice last Jan to have a bigger war chest available to bring in some real difference-maker's to help us push on and get over the line. Keep in mind, we only finished 8pts behind Brighton and Newcastle. If club finances hadn't been mismanaged in the past, who knows how much of a difference it could have made.

We spent plenty in January to be fair. Illori on a permanent deal plus Oxford, Grabban and Mutch on loan was a pretty significant outlay given the new ownership hadn't been confirmed yet.

We did spend some last Jan, yes. Be honest, though. At the time it never seemed to me like it would be enough. I thought it might help, but was doubtful it was sufficient. Did you feel the same way?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jan 2018 15:03

Denver Royal
Vision
Denver Royal

We did spend some last Jan, yes. Be honest, though. At the time it never seemed to me like it would be enough. I thought it might help, but was doubtful it was sufficient. Did you feel the same way?

It was enough to make the play offs which was the only realistic aim at the time. We may have ended 8 points behind Brighton but they went on holiday the moment they confirmed promotion. In reality we were much further back than that. We won something like 9 of our last 11 games too so im not sure any extra outlay would have bettered that or made the difference between automatic and play offs .

I'm certainly not one of the Stam haters but if he's complaining that a lack of investment due to past mismanagement (however much that may have been the case) is the main cause of our current woes then he's seriously deluded. He's been given more than enough in terms of finance. He needs to show he can develop what he's got in what is already a massively bloated squad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2018 15:50

"In every sport, confidence is so key. We just need a lift, hopefully I can bring that" - New loan signing Tommy Elphick has spoken to the club website for the first time, read what he had to say here: http://rdng.co/Elphick290118

Looks like the issue is as obvious to our new signing as it is to most of us.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jan 2018 16:09

"Learning off the manager, this is a progressive club, and I know we're in a sticky situation at the moment, but it's a club that's going forward still.

"The club made huge strides forward last year, I remember watching the game at Villa Park last year, and we got absolutely battered for 90 minutes," he added.

"Watching it, I wanted to be a part of something like that again, playing that brand of football and the manager brings that."

Straight into the starting lineup tomorrow?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2018 17:21

Denver Royal "Learning off the manager, this is a progressive club, and I know we're in a sticky situation at the moment, but it's a club that's going forward still.

"The club made huge strides forward last year, I remember watching the game at Villa Park last year, and we got absolutely battered for 90 minutes," he added.

"Watching it, I wanted to be a part of something like that again, playing that brand of football and the manager brings that."

As an ex Captain. Will bring a much needed organisational voice onto the pitch. Someone that the younger players can learn from playing with.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2018 18:36

Lower West
Denver Royal "Learning off the manager, this is a progressive club, and I know we're in a sticky situation at the moment, but it's a club that's going forward still.

As an ex Captain. Will bring a much needed organisational voice onto the pitch. Someone that the younger players can learn from playing with.

Agreed. A good signing who should give us a bit of a backbone.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2018 18:39

Denver Royal
Vision
Denver Royal

We broke our transfer record signing Illori. The loanees would not have been cheap. We then spent a significant sum in the summer. Stam has not been forced to sell anyone. He has been very well backed. No other manager in our history has come remotely close to the level of backing he has received. He needs to stop making excuses.