BFTG Burton

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Burton

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Jan 2018 18:14

Readingfanman Enjoyable evening at the Pirelli, first time I'd been there, and wow. I never realised just quite how far above their weight Burton are punching.

They are punching 2 divisions above their weight. What Clough has achieved there is incredible. I think it's coming to an end though, spending no money and living on free transfers is taking its toll. If the do stay up he deserves to be manager of the year.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 31 Jan 2018 18:16

Kitsondinho
paultheroyal I have just caught up on match report etc - was there seriously under 3,000 in attendance last night or that a typo?

Yeah 2704 there last night.

That must be one of the lowest ever championship crowds?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2018 19:04

Many thanks for all the match reports

Garry Baldy

by Garry Baldy » 31 Jan 2018 19:46

Haven't enjoyed a match so much in ages. For 15 minutes at the start of the second half, we were under serious pressure as Burton launched continuous balls into our box. We conceded the pen and I fully expected a feeble capitulation but the team showed fantastic determination and fully deserved the result. All credit to them for once.
Difficult to pick a mom as everybody contributed, but I thought Dave Edwards was superb.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2018 20:26

NewCorkSeth
Kitsondinho
RG30 Good value for the win. We were always the more likely to score and got our rewards for an attacking line-up too. Dave Edwards caught the eye, seems quite underrated amongst our fan base but he keeps it ticking over in midfielder and always good in possession. Good atmosphere amongst the travelling support.

Exactly why Edwards was MOM last night. He was superb at doing the simple, but important, things very well.

Like giving away a penalty. No farting about just a straight forward foul itn the box.

It was a very soft pen and it didn’t diminish his performance at all.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Jan 2018 20:28

Kitsondinho
NewCorkSeth
Kitsondinho Exactly why Edwards was MOM last night. He was superb at doing the simple, but important, things very well.

Like giving away a penalty. No farting about just a straight forward foul itn the box.

If any thing I would say it added to his performance. He did it the simple way. If you have to give away a penalty thats how you do it. Soft and needless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2018 20:45

Crikey we could have had six judging by the highlights. Bod easily could have had another hattrick rather than a brace. Couldn't really see the penalty to judge it.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 01 Feb 2018 08:18

NewCorkSeth
Kitsondinho
NewCorkSeth Like giving away a penalty. No farting about just a straight forward foul itn the box.

If any thing I would say it added to his performance. He did it the simple way. If you have to give away a penalty thats how you do it. Soft and needless.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 01 Feb 2018 13:14

NewCorkSeth
Brum Royal A game we thoroughly deserved to win. We could have scored more and Burton scored (the pen) from their only real chance in the game. This was not a nervy victory but one that once we got in front we never looked like giving away. Despite being pegged back to 1-1, the heads didn't drop. The second half in particular was played in fairly miserable conditions - driving rain throughout and it was never going to be pretty - but there were the individual moments of quality that we have been crying out for this season, and that proved to be the difference between the two sides.

For 1-0, an overhit Bacuna cross from the right was well retrieved by Edwards(?) and a good quality cross was tucked away by Big Daddy.

For 2-1, a good corner to the top of the box, a good touch from Gunter and a cool, left footed, placed finish into the bottom right corner from the top of the box.

For 3-1 a good through ball behind the fullback to play in Barrow and a low cross was tucked away at the near post by Big Daddy.

All 3 goals had a bit of quality and a bit of composure to them - something we have been lacking for a while. Encouraging signs.

Barrow cross retrieved by Bacuna for the first. Close..

Yeah, I noticed that when I saw the highlights. Bacuna's blonde hair throws me a bit sometimes, especially when it's right up the other end and he'd been playing right back for the majority of the game before that.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 01 Feb 2018 13:43

Kitsondinho
NewCorkSeth
Kitsondinho Exactly why Edwards was MOM last night. He was superb at doing the simple, but important, things very well.

Are any of these comments on the foul based on anyone actually seeing the incident, either live or on replays?

I ask because, if there's some footage of it, I would like to see it myself as it was at the other end and I was following the line of the ball. All I saw was the forward, who was nowhere near getting to the ball, fall over and Edwards fall over him.

The game reminded me of an old fashioned FA Cup game away to a lower league or even non-league team, with the ball in the air more often than not. We couldn't play out from the back much because they pushed right up on us. It wasn't brilliant but it was exactly what was needed in the circumstances and it was nice that for once we didn't fold after conceding a soft equaliser.

For me, Aluko playing CM (actually more of a CAM, no 10 role) is the logical place for him. It's seems pretty clear that we can't play him on either wing as he goes wandering off leaving the fullback exposed and giving us a lack of width going forward.

I liked what I saw of Elphick who seemed calm and assured but had a bit of passion which could make him a fan favourite. Could well be the leader that we've been missing at the back.

Were there really under 3000 there? I thought the announcement was around 6000 but couldn't hear it very well and I'm shit at guessing crowd sizes, there could've been 800 for all I know.

Lastly, has the ball that Bacuna hit in the first half come down yet?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Feb 2018 14:25

If you still hate Futcher Are any of these comments on the foul based on anyone actually seeing the incident, either live or on replays?

I ask because, if there's some footage of it, I would like to see it myself as it was at the other end and I was following the line of the ball. All I saw was the forward, who was nowhere near getting to the ball, fall over and Edwards fall over him.

No, there's no VAR in the Championship yet mate. Soon maybe.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 14:37

John Smith
If you still hate Futcher Are any of these comments on the foul based on anyone actually seeing the incident, either live or on replays?

The camera replays are sadly not in the best of positions to see it all play out but it looked like a foul..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2018 14:44

NewCorkSeth
John Smith

The camera replays are sadly not in the best of positions to see it all play out but it looked like a foul..

File it under 'clumsy' and 'seen 'em given'. I think if it was down the other end, we would've been wanting it for us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 14:47

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
John Smith No, there's no VAR in the Championship yet mate. Soon maybe.

File it under 'clumsy' and 'seen 'em given'. I think if it was down the other end, we would've been wanting it for us.

Sums up how I felt. You would have to be made of stone to begrudge it being given. I know it's hard to think like that in football but I certainly would have expected a penalty if it were the reverse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 15:18

slow-moed the replay (I was bored) and don't think the camera showed any contact, so if there was a foul, it was before the camera panned to it.

Think Clough himself said he didn't think it was a pen

by If you still hate Futcher » 01 Feb 2018 15:27

John Smith

Why the need to be facetious JS. I was asking if anyone saw it live or there was any other footage The only replay angle I've seen (on Sky) shows both players already on the floor by the time they're in shot.

For the other replies of "clumsy" and "seen them given", yes I agree but I not having seen exactly what happened, and with no other views or descriptions available, I wouldn't be calling for it were the roles reversed. One of my bug bears of current football is players throwing themselves to the floor at the slightest hint of a touch.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Feb 2018 15:38

If you still hate Futcher Why the need to be facetious JS. I was asking if anyone saw it live or there was any other footage The only replay angle I've seen (on Sky) shows both players already on the floor by the time they're in shot.

I'm at work and bored. I'm sorry, it's nothing personal.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 01 Feb 2018 18:48

John Smith

Why the need to be facetious JS. I was asking if anyone saw it live or there was any other footage The only replay angle I've seen (on Sky) shows both players already on the floor by the time they're in shot.

For the other replies of "clumsy" and "seen them given", yes I agree but I not having seen exactly what happened, and with no other views or descriptions available, I wouldn't be calling for it were the roles reversed. One of my bug bears of current football is players throwing themselves to the floor at the slightest hint of a touch.

My view on the pen was based on what I saw on Tuesday and what I’ve since seen on the highlights. There was minimal contact, the Burton player threw himself to the floor. However, as others have said, I’d have been screaming for one if it was for us! Annoying as it is, they are given all the time. Pens given like that always make me think of Owen’s fall v Argentina in 2002. He knew what he was doing and drew the pen. If it had happened in our box, I’d have been annoyed....as I was on Tuesday!

As for Aluko, he is wasted in CM and needs to be either out wide or up front. Something needs to change because he is a talented player, we’ve all seen that for other teans, but he looks lost and frustrated in our team.

Oh and there really were only 2704 there.......

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2018 19:14

John Smith

Thank God and I hope there never is!

I would not want to be in the Mad Stad when the Millwall mob think they've scored, only for VAR to be called in and us be awarded a penalty for an incident that occurred before Millwall hit us on the counter attack and scored!

And that's not far fetched, I very nearly saw it happen in an MLS game. Only thing was the keeper made a great save to push the ball away for a corner. At that point, since it was the first break in play, the ref was called back to refer to VAR and awarded a penalty for an incident that had happened a minute or so earlier at the opposite end! All the fans thought he was reviewing an incident that had occurred just prior to the keeper making the save, so were astounded when all the players were called back to the far end of the pitch.

Goal-line technology is one thing but VAR is a step too far and will ruin the game for supporters.

The Cube

by The Cube » 01 Feb 2018 19:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosN_Bir52Q
6 minutes 42 in. Not only a decent angle of the incident but you can also pretty well work out what the referee sees. No real complaints.