MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

158 posts
Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Feb 2018 19:56

CountryRoyal
Longhorn1970
CountryRoyal
I'm not sure you understand.

Be assured I do, I just can't get hung up on stats which count for nothing.

No, you clearly don't.

The notion that one shouldn't care how many shots the opposing team has had just because they haven't scored is ridiculous, especially during a game. If it was half time and we had 5% possession and conceded 30 shots, 20 on target the 10 which hit the crossbar you're telling me you wouldn't care because we didn't conceded? Do you realise how stupid that sounds. Performing horrifically against another team isn't a reason for concern just because we hadn't conceded yet?

Baffling.

thats your notion not mine

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by looking for a win at home on a Saturday

by CountryRoyal » 03 Feb 2018 19:58

Longhorn1970
CountryRoyal
Longhorn1970
Be assured I do, I just can't get hung up on stats which count for nothing.

No, you clearly don't.

The notion that one shouldn't care how many shots the opposing team has had just because they haven't scored is ridiculous, especially during a game. If it was half time and we had 5% possession and conceded 30 shots, 20 on target the 10 which hit the crossbar you're telling me you wouldn't care because we didn't conceded? Do you realise how stupid that sounds. Performing horrifically against another team isn't a reason for concern just because we hadn't conceded yet?

Baffling.

Yeah, you definitely don't get it. :|

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Feb 2018 19:58

Oilroyal
genome You need to get over me, Oilroyal. It's getting a bit sad now.

I’m entertained by your own self-importance. Not sure I need to get over you..... flatter yourself Genome :oops:

Now now girls

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Feb 2018 20:00

Oilroyal
genome
Oilroyal Hey, listen Genome we’re all in the same boat. We all support the same club. The way I see things is that early season anyone who dared to highlight a weakness within the team or management structure would be shot down on here. I’m just glad you’ve finally woken up, although surprised it someone like you so long to smell the coffee.

My justification as to my opinion this entire season of both Stam and the club can be seen by looking here. http://www.skysports.com/championship-table

So you can't explain why you think I'm self-important.

Cheers then.

you post for posting sake! enough said

*adds to list of opinions Oilroyal can't back up*

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Feb 2018 20:02

Longhorn1970
Oilroyal
genome You need to get over me, Oilroyal. It's getting a bit sad now.

I’m entertained by your own self-importance. Not sure I need to get over you..... flatter yourself Genome :oops:

Now now girls

hehe... Lonely sad people here on a Saturday night. I’m in my fifties, done with partying.... you still there Genome?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Feb 2018 20:03

CountryRoyal
Longhorn1970
CountryRoyal
No, you clearly don't.

Baffling.

Oh dear, not sure how many ways to say this, I couldn't care less about stats, shots, possession blah so long as we get something anything out the game. We've seen what 'total football' looks like and it ain't good

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Feb 2018 20:06

CountryRoyal, I think you and me should give up arguing with the jolly nice people on this messageboard? We'll never get anywhere.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Feb 2018 20:25

genome CountryRoyal, I think you and me should give up arguing with the jolly nice people on this messageboard? We'll never get anywhere.

:roll: this

double d

by double d » 03 Feb 2018 20:39

Oilroyal
Longhorn1970
Oilroyal

Now now girls

hehe... Lonely sad people here on a Saturday night. I’m in my fifties, done with partying.... you still there Genome?

I get it now. First you pretend to be a women to try and throw us off the trail, when that didn't work and you got banned now you are trying to be a 50 year old man. Good one, the Informant.

double d

by double d » 03 Feb 2018 20:40

genome CountryRoyal, I think you and me should give up arguing with the jolly nice people on this messageboard? We'll never get anywhere.

And me. There are some right nice people on this board.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Feb 2018 20:44

Longhorn1970
CountryRoyal
Longhorn1970

Oh dear, not sure how many ways to say this, I couldn't care less about stats, shots, possession blah so long as we get something anything out the game. We've seen what 'total football' looks like and it ain't good

Stats certainly don't tell the whole story, but they do tell some of the story, particularly when they are very lopsided in favour of one team.

When they scored their first goal, after having numerous chances to score, we'd only managed two shots all game. The first of those came in the 59th minute. The stats in this case are highlighting the quite stunning lack of creativity in our play before they'd scored, and the fact that they probably ought to have scored one or two before then. When it came to attacking and defending, they beat us hands down.

Stats can sometimes give an inaccurate impression of how a game went - in the end we apparently finished with nine shots, which could lead some to think we made a game of it, which would be wrong - but to dismiss all stats an an irrelevance, is daft.

After all, I'm sure that for that dreadful shotless first hour, you weren't sat there thinking it was a completely even game because it was 0-0, so what were you basing your opinion on? It might not have been a shot tally, but you would certainly have been aware they'd created a number of chances, to our none, and that would have shaped your opinion.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Feb 2018 20:57

double d
Oilroyal
Longhorn1970
Now now girls

I get it now. First you pretend to be a women to try and throw us off the trail, when that didn't work and you got banned now you are trying to be a 50 year old man. Good one, the Informant.

Your opinion don’t count as it changes with the wind! .... informant my arse

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 03 Feb 2018 21:12

I heard Millwall had their top boys there today and it all came on top after the game?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Feb 2018 21:17

tmesis
Longhorn1970
CountryRoyal

Stats certainly don't tell the whole story, but they do tell some of the story, particularly when they are very lopsided in favour of one team.

When they scored their first goal, after having numerous chances to score, we'd only managed two shots all game. The first of those came in the 59th minute. The stats in this case are highlighting the quite stunning lack of creativity in our play before they'd scored, and the fact that they probably ought to have scored one or two before then. When it came to attacking and defending, they beat us hands down.

Stats can sometimes give an inaccurate impression of how a game went - in the end we apparently finished with nine shots, which could lead some to think we made a game of it, which would be wrong - but to dismiss all stats an an irrelevance, is daft.

After all, I'm sure that for that dreadful shotless first hour, you weren't sat there thinking it was a completely even game because it was 0-0, so what were you basing your opinion on? It might not have been a shot tally, but you would certainly have been aware they'd created a number of chances, to our none, and that would have shaped your opinion.

I don't care much for stats, I'm not interested in how many shots were off target or how many minutes we passed backwards and sideways etc. I don't enjoy watching the drivvle served up but if you can defend well for long periods you can stay in the game and pick up points where otherwise we'd lose like today

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Feb 2018 22:07

You claimed the only thing that matters is the final score. While there's logic to that, have you never walked out of a defeat thinking the other team didn't deserve their win? Have you never felt the final score didn't reflect how the game went?

How could either possibly be true if the only measure of the game worth talking about is the final score?

The problem really is the misuse of stats to claim things that aren't true. The possession stat tells you no more than how many passes one team has made in relation to another, yet some would claim it means you played better than the other team.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 03 Feb 2018 22:20

tmesis You claimed the only thing that matters is the final score. While there's logic to that, have you never walked out of a defeat thinking the other team didn't deserve their win? Have you never felt the final score didn't reflect how the game went?

How could either possibly be true if the only measure of the game worth talking about is the final score?

The problem really is the misuse of stats to claim things that aren't true. The possession stat tells you no more than how many passes one team has made in relation to another, yet some would claim it means you played better than the other team.

You don't always get what you deserve in football. I'd rather win the game than have more possession or shots etc.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 03 Feb 2018 22:39

You really shouldn't refer to the such wonderful people so flippantly...

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Feb 2018 00:08

Longhorn1970
tmesis You claimed the only thing that matters is the final score. While there's logic to that, have you never walked out of a defeat thinking the other team didn't deserve their win? Have you never felt the final score didn't reflect how the game went?

You don't always get what you deserve in football. I'd rather win the game than have more possession or shots etc.

Nobody is claiming any different.

All they are saying is that stats are record of some of the things that going into that sense of a team deserving or not deserving a particular result.

158 posts