19%
Ian Royal
6%

Total votes: 147
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The very latest in STAM OUT threads...with poll

by Hound » 08 Feb 2018 10:09

What Stam isn't good at is 'playing the game' with the fans.

He may be spot on with his assessments, but it would make things a lot better for everyone if he forgot himself for a moment and said what the fans want to hear.

He can call the fans whatever he wants behind closed doors, but it would help the general atmosphere if he just spoke some niceties about the crowd no matter how much bollox it is. You see players like Edwards and Elphick manage it (ie twitter posts saying how brilliant the fans were etc) and he should do the same.

Just say the crowd are great, lets all stick together and get us out of it, he loves the club, clap the fans without looking like its hurting him to do so, do that thing players do to ask for more noise from the crowd.

Don't say he doesn't care what the crowd think, the atmosphere is rubbish, players don't like playing at home. Simple things which would make quite a bit of difference

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Feb 2018 10:18

Hound What Stam isn't good at is 'playing the game' with the fans.

He may be spot on with his assessments, but it would make things a lot better for everyone if he forgot himself for a moment and said what the fans want to hear.

He can call the fans whatever he wants behind closed doors, but it would help the general atmosphere if he just spoke some niceties about the crowd no matter how much bollox it is. You see players like Edwards and Elphick manage it (ie twitter posts saying how brilliant the fans were etc) and he should do the same.

Just say the crowd are great, lets all stick together and get us out of it, he loves the club, clap the fans without looking like its hurting him to do so, do that thing players do to ask for more noise from the crowd.

Don't say he doesn't care what the crowd think, the atmosphere is rubbish, players don't like playing at home. Simple things which would make quite a bit of difference

I take your point but surely if he tells the crowd everything is hunky dory when he genuinely thinks its affecting his players then he's just ensuring it will continue.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2018 10:36

not nec if phrased the right way. Just expanding on his point of asking the fans to always support the players, and if they are frustrated then it should be him who they boo etc.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Feb 2018 10:40

Hound not nec if phrased the right way. Just expanding on his point of asking the fans to always support the players, and if they are frustrated then it should be him who they boo etc.

It is time to show a little bit of humility, would go a long way. He is better of pandering to the supporters at this point, it will help the players ultimately.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2018 11:26

'Booing doesn't help the team'.
If it hastens Stam's departure, then that will help the club imo.

As for for being fickle, I didn't like Stam's style of play when we were 3rd and I still don't like it now we're 18th. If it's not effective then there is absolutely no reason to put up with it.

The guy's not trying to be 'honest' or improve the atmosphere with his comments in the media. He's stoking the flames in order to make his sacking more likely.
He doesn't want to be here, and there's no payoff from a resignation.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Feb 2018 11:42

Eh, the atmosphere is generally rubbish anyway, the only time recently I remember the home atmosphere being good was when we were approaching the end of the play-off semi-final last season.

Doolittle

by Doolittle » 08 Feb 2018 11:48

genome
royal_rumble I don't recall any negativity last season, so I think Stam is just trying to re-imagine the past to justify his point..

I recall plenty. It was horrendous on here after a defeat, even if we were 3rd. I remember getting in plenty of e-scuffles with nobbers last season over their negativity. Obviously, it's far more justified this season.

Absolutely. There were plenty of groans last season, even when the team and the manager gave the home supporters a season of 16 wins and two defeats.

If those booing really want League One football next season, then fine - just carry on booing - no doubt the manager will then change, and the style of play will then become as direct as anyone could possibly wish for. Job done. All Stam is saying is that if we'd actually prefer to stay up, it isn't helpful. He's right.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2018 12:04

Doolittle
genome
royal_rumble I don't recall any negativity last season, so I think Stam is just trying to re-imagine the past to justify his point..

I recall plenty. It was horrendous on here after a defeat, even if we were 3rd. I remember getting in plenty of e-scuffles with nobbers last season over their negativity. Obviously, it's far more justified this season.

Absolutely. There were plenty of groans last season, even when the team and the manager gave the home supporters a season of 16 wins and two defeats.

If those booing really want League One football next season, then fine - just carry on booing - no doubt the manager will then change, and the style of play will then become as direct as anyone could possibly wish for. Job done. All Stam is saying is that if we'd actually prefer to stay up, it isn't helpful. He's right.

Yes, no doubt about it.
100%
A change in manager will lead to "a style of play as direct as anyone could wish for" and relegation.
That's for certain.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2018 12:06

tidus_mi2

Eh, the atmosphere is generally rubbish anyway, the only time recently I remember the home atmosphere being good was when we were approaching the end of the play-off semi-final last season.

agreed it is. But it would help imo to try to improve by picking up on the positives. It certainly wouldn't hurt. Like you say, the PO semi against Fulham was immense - so why not refer to it? like I say, just play the game, whether its BS or not.

Tell the fans coming in they are amazing and important, and they will feel a bit better coming to watch the team, and maybe improve the atmosphere a little

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 08 Feb 2018 12:07

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome Would agree with a lot of that actually.

He cannot demand respect if he is not prepared to give it back though. He has been very dismissive and disrespectful to the support ever since he arrived here. Internally he can think how he wishes but there has to be a level of diplomacy and decorum towards your support, it seems beyond him.

Well I think his overall point is correct. If we're stuck in a rut, abusing the players is going to have the opposite effect. Getting behind them will help the team. Sadly, I think that's beyond quite a few Reading fans...

We need this guy in the East stand to gee up a bit of atmosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUEEp2oA0o

:shock: :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Feb 2018 12:39

Hound not nec if phrased the right way. Just expanding on his point of asking the fans to always support the players, and if they are frustrated then it should be him who they boo etc.

I don't know how you make it clear that you're booing a manager - it's not like you can boo every time he touches the ball.

Obviously targetting a player is going to be worse, but I'm sure booing at full time or chanting about how you want the manager out is going to affect the players too.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 08 Feb 2018 12:51

Haven't read other messages but is this bloke completely deluded or what? In that he says 'Reading FC fans are giving the wrong message to players'. This is getting better by the day :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2018 13:25

SCIAG

I don't know how you make it clear that you're booing a manager - it's not like you can boo every time he touches the ball.

Obviously targetting a player is going to be worse, but I'm sure booing at full time or chanting about how you want the manager out is going to affect the players too.

Think that’s slightly different to the point I’m making though

I’m not saying that’s what fans should do, I’m saying that’s what Stam should be saying

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2018 11:56

Hound
SCIAG

Think that’s slightly different to the point I’m making though

I’m not saying that’s what fans should do, I’m saying that’s what Stam should be saying

The same people criticising him for this would criticise him for speaking in meaningless cliches, patronising the fans and continue saying he's the problem.

They're blind to anything but the faults they perceive in him, the club and the players.

He could certainly be more diplomatic. But the only way it gets better is with wons. Nothing else.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 10 Feb 2018 12:58

So you don't think fans at any other club would react the same way if their team has not won a home game on a Saturday all season and lost their last 4.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Feb 2018 13:29

@jamesmasson1986
My son was born yesterday and hes been conceived and born since our last win at home on a Saturday #readingfc

:lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Feb 2018 14:08

MR. CYNICAL So you don't think fans at any other club would react the same way if their team has not won a home game on a Saturday all season and lost their last 4.

Well exactly.

And I’m slightly surprised that not criticising your fans at every opportunity whilst serving up some of the most appalling football they’ve ever seen is viewed as “playing the game”.

Only a grade A twat would have the nerve to try and deflect the blame on the support.

It’s funny because he blames the players and he blames the fans - he’s even had a pop at the club hierarchy but there’s one person I’ve never heard him blame...

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Feb 2018 14:09

FAO whoever does the latest poll thread: it might be an idea to include the date or 'post: WHATEVER_TEAM' in the title to avoid confusion

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Feb 2018 13:46

Charming as ever our Jaap is.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Feb 2018 15:47

CountryRoyal, that was a Stam interview from last weekend, right? It was discussed at length last week after the Millwall match. So, why do you feel the need to link to it again now, and what is your motivation for doing so? How does it help anything?

148 posts