BFT Appalling mess at home

152 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFT Appalling mess at home

by Lower West » 03 Feb 2018 22:57

Oilroyal Stam's completely fried the players brains. Don’t take my word for it, just look at the table. Or do we have shit players?

Recruitment hasn't been the greatest. Too much style over substance. Technical ability over grit and work ethic.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Feb 2018 23:17

Lower West
Oilroyal Stam's completely fried the players brains. Don’t take my word for it, just look at the table. Or do we have shit players?

Recruitment hasn't been the greatest. Too much style over substance. Technical ability over grit and work ethic.

You could be right. Outrageous spending exceeding not only our own club’s transfer history but way beyond other mid-to-lower champ clubs, who have all beaten us! You would have expected a manager to deliver a top half finish. Personally I think we have the right players but the wrong manager with the wrong ego for RFC.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 03 Feb 2018 23:41

Today I took my seat for the first time in about 2 months. The sad fact is, I was struggling to remember the last game I attended :|

On the back of what I saw as an unexpected, not to mention relatively comfortable, victory up at Burton, I spurned the opportunity of modest gainful employment in the hope of witnessing further progress on the hallowed turf.

And, I have to say, as one of Stam's biggest critics in recent months, I feel inclined to add some perspective to most of the views above.

Firstly, any credit for Millwall's performance appears non existent. While we are belatedly, and quite rightly in my view, attempting to get back to basics, the fact Millwall are better at it than we are really isn't that surprising. We are recent converts, they play like that every week. To state the obvious, they are not Burton Albion and are doing very well with the resources at their disposal. Furthermore, we all but gave them Jake Cooper and have since spent millions searching for his replacement :|

Secondly, I don't think it's unfair to suggest we were a tad unfortunate. Despite Millwall having a definitive edge, until the first goal went in I was thoroughly enjoying my first game of the year. Also, I was right behind the wicked deflection from our left wing back's attempted clearance that left Mannone stranded. Bacuna was arguably our best summer signing and, yet again, was having a decent game but, sh*t happens :|

Thirdly, I agreed with those who felt Stam put out, more or less, his best available team. This included new loanee, the impressive and hugely experienced Tommy Elphick, who was promptly crocked on the half hour. Enter stage left the much maligned Tyler Blackett :|

Minutes after conceding an unfortunate first, Elphick's error prone replacement fcuks up and we find ourselves 2 goals down with little more than 15 minutes to go.

While I couldn't see us winning another game before Burton, and accept Millwall had more clear cut chances, we won't always be this unfortunate and will find easier nuts to crack than a side who recently returned from Elland Road with all 3pts.

Today's result was obviously disappointing but, if Stam is willing to continue with this new approach, I can't see us being caught by any of the bottom three.

However, all that being said, I agree with Adi Williams in that Stam's days should still be numbered. Sure, I no longer see us being relegated but neither do I see Stam taking us where we want to go.

This is a talented squad that should never have found itself staving off relegation. I don't blame the players and see none of the lethargy others insist is present. But I am happy to accept many of them have as little faith in their manager as most of us. Who can blame them?!!

Finally, Tyler Blackett has a huge capacity to drive the fanbase bananas but he was only on the pitch today to cover for injury. It's one thing to boo the team off the pitch but those who gave the abuse to one of our players whenever he touched the ball need to ask themselves if they really support this club. Who knows how long Elphick is out for and how many replacements do we have beyond Blackett? He'll need to be one tough cookie to recover anytime soon from the abuse he received from our resident idiots. Well done!! :evil:

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 03 Feb 2018 23:52

You say it is your first game "for around 2 months"...then you question if some fans really "support the club" ?

Doesn't make sense.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 04 Feb 2018 00:03

Barney You say it is your first game "for around 2 months"...then you question if some fans really "support the club" ?

Doesn't make sense.

Been supporting the club for 35 years... put thousands of corporate ££ in (team sponsorship, youth sponsorship) and other fund raisers over the years but not been to a game this this season for reasons you all know.

Be interested to hear your view of those patrons who have supported this club over the years but no longer feel a part of its makeup.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 04 Feb 2018 00:07

Oilroyal
RG7Fan
Oilroyal
The Ray Charles gag made me laugh, but Blacklet who had 14 years under contract to Manchester United has just turned to shit under Stam, well that got me thinking!

There's a reason he is no longer at Man U and today we saw why - he was in his best position (left CB) but had a nightmare. I think he's generally a decent player but when he has a howler its normally a (near) disaster for us.

In the post match Stam said it was tactical - maybe it was, maybe Stam had planned to sub Illori / Elphick and change shape at that time / in those circumstances. At that time he had the choice of Illori or Blackett off - no brainer decision ...

still cant see why after 14 years of being nurtured by United, he’s now oxf*rd useless

Who knows - I cant really answer that one. I guess it would be easy to say its Stams fault, but I think that is a cop out.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Feb 2018 00:07

Barney You say it is your first game "for around 2 months"...then you question if some fans really "support the club" ?

Doesn't make sense.

I pay for my seat whether I attend or not and have done so since 2000. In fact, one of the main reasons I stay away is so I don't take my frustrations out on the players. HOBNOB? never changes does it :|

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 04 Feb 2018 00:19

RG7Fan
Oilroyal
RG7Fan
There's a reason he is no longer at Man U and today we saw why - he was in his best position (left CB) but had a nightmare. I think he's generally a decent player but when he has a howler its normally a (near) disaster for us.

In the post match Stam said it was tactical - maybe it was, maybe Stam had planned to sub Illori / Elphick and change shape at that time / in those circumstances. At that time he had the choice of Illori or Blackett off - no brainer decision ...

still cant see why after 14 years of being nurtured by United, he’s now oxf*rd useless

Who knows - I cant really answer that one. I guess it would be easy to say its Stams fault, but I think that is a cop out.

Funny looking back at wrecker Stam's lust for Blackett:

Stam said: “As we know, Tyler is a talented defender who has played for United’s first team. "He can play as a left-back or a left-sided centre-back; he has got great potential in the sense that he is quick and athletic, defensively he is strong and he is good at set-pieces.
"As a defender he can go and play high up the pitch as well, and that is what we need in the squad.”

Blackett, who spent last season on loan at Celtic, is certain he will develop under Stam, who was one of the best centre-backs in world football during his playing career.

Stam's full on BS here https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tyler-blackett-leaves-manchester-united-8685947

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Feb 2018 00:22

genome http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/15918438.READING_FC__Jaap_Stam_blasts_Royals_fans_for_booing
"If the crowd reacts like that against a young team then it's not good for anyone's confidence or decision making.

"Young team"
:lol:
The average age of today's starting 11 was 28.3
Average age of the 14 that appeared was 28.1

If you want to pull out the "they're only young" excuse then play some fucking young players.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 04 Feb 2018 00:28

[/quote]
I agree. To put the boy on and then take him off after having a mare of 15 minutes was completely destructive to the players progression as a Reading football club employee and totally selfish and in favour of Stam's own agenda. But Stam covered it up well in the interview, as always.[/quote]

This.

Terrible leadership

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 04 Feb 2018 00:51

Didn't go today. What a touch. Seriously though, how much longer have we got to put up with this?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Feb 2018 01:01

Out.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 01:24

Quite like the cut of Jaaps jib post match today.

Basically saying “do what you’ve got to do” to his employers

And tbf, even he couldn’t have made-up that “sign a player on a Tuesday....crock him on a Saturday” scenario..

When will his ....and our luck change?.......it has been pretty piss poor this season

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 04 Feb 2018 01:57

We have a talented squad of players - probably the most talented since our record-breaking squad 2005 - 2007. We have an experienced (in playing terms) manager who took us to the play-off final last year. Since that play-off final we have strengthened the side with Barrow, Bacuna, Edwards, Aluko (Yeah - I know some will disagree) and, recently, Martin and Elphick. There is no way we should be in any danger of relegation - but we are!

Why?

My conclusion (FWIW) is that JS is a good tactician but not good with people. Remember how McDermott put his arms round a despondent Kebe and gave him confidence again? JS can't do that (imho). He is not built that way. I wasn't there today (I have a pile of public exam marking to compete by Friday!!) but, from what I see and hear, it is confidence and a lack of clarity in our aims that we lack. How much does JS listen to his players or even give them the opportunity to speak out?

I saw Gunter's run to hug JS after scoring against Burton and that does suggest that JS has not lost the dressing room. But I'm not so sure he is good at restoring their confidence in themselves. This is particularly evident in the way he publicly criticises his team in after-match interviews.

Until the most recent Hobnob's poll I have always voted to give JS more time. But - no longer. He has to go. And I would like to see Nigel Clough be persuaded to join us. I think he would be better with the players and better at restoring confidence and belief.Because that is what we really lack at the moment!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 02:04

roll with the punches...enjoy the victories...it’s only football

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 04 Feb 2018 05:23

AthleticoSpizz Quite like the cut of Jaaps jib post match today.

Basically saying “do what you’ve got to do” to his employers

And tbf, even he couldn’t have made-up that “sign a player on a Tuesday....crock him on a Saturday” scenario..

When will his ....and our luck change?.......it has been pretty piss poor this season

I don't really buy the bad luck argument. Every team has bad luck but overcome it by creating enough positive things in a game to come out ahead. We're simply not doing that, so every bit of bad luck looks decisive.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 04 Feb 2018 06:44

You could just about compose the match day report at Midday on a Saturday.
Its like bloody Groundhog day. No matter what team is put out its bloody dreadful to watch and the fact that we are well on our way to a Calendar year without a home win is totally unacceptable.

I know its been said before but the players are better than that. The idiot telling them what to do is at fault and if he had anything about him he would just walk away! The only thing he is succeeding in doing is driving the fans away

He's too gutless to leave as it is evident he is waiting for his mega bucks pay off leaving the club and the fans to repair the damage he has caused

God its awful at the moment!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Feb 2018 08:33

Oilroyal

Doesn't make sense.

Been supporting the club for 35 years... put thousands of corporate ££ in (team sponsorship, youth sponsorship) and other fund raisers over the years but not been to a game this this season for reasons you all know.

Be interested to hear your view of those patrons who have supported this club over the years but no longer feel a part of its makeup.

Also been supporting the club for 55 years. Despite all thats going on I would find it really hard not to go and support Reading even if I think we have a poor team and manager. No disrespect to you but even if we dropped to Div.2 I would still go

Forty

by Forty » 04 Feb 2018 09:07

RG7Fan
Oilroyal
Marcus Crassus Illori 6, my god you must be blind. He was utterly putrid. And as for feeling sorry for Blacket, words fail me. He put in a performance today that would have embarrassed Ray Charles.

And there, Ladies and gentlemen is the season summed up in one sentence.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 04 Feb 2018 09:59

Royality creeps In You could just about compose the match day report at Midday on a Saturday.
Its like bloody Groundhog day. No matter what team is put out its bloody dreadful to watch and the fact that we are well on our way to a Calendar year without a home win is totally unacceptable.

I know its been said before but the players are better than that. The idiot telling them what to do is at fault and if he had anything about him he would just walk away! The only thing he is succeeding in doing is driving the fans away

He's too gutless to leave as it is evident he is waiting for his mega bucks pay off leaving the club and the fans to repair the damage he has caused

God its awful at the moment!

Absolutely spot on.

152 posts