Most popular Dutch cultural item, the bicycle,
"On your bike JP"!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Boycott

by Denver Royal » 04 Feb 2018 15:41

genome
Lower West Reading has lost currently it's soul. We are little more than a stepping stone for Stam and the better squad players.

We want out club back...........

But people were saying, last year under Stam, that "we have our club back again" after a couple of years of being rubbish.

Just because we're in shit form doesn't mean that the "club is dead" or "we have no soul"... it's overly dramatic nonsense that doesn't help anyone.

Well, I hear what you say, but I'm inclined to believe it perhaps 'helps' the person saying it. And, if they throw in a couple of swear words and personal insults too, then so much the better. But yeah, beyond their self, whether it actually helps anyone or anything is likely way down the list of considerations (assuming its considered at all).

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Feb 2018 15:57

I have paid for my ST and intend to support the team every home game. If you are going to be against the team then thats fine dont turn up but please dont come just to protest :lol:

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Feb 2018 16:08

John Smith Can I just reiterate we aren’t going down.

What makes you so confident about that? Our performances for the last month or two have been a relegation level. In fact I'd say they've been at Bullivant-esque capitulation level, where we sleepwalk from game to game, expecting to lose.

We may have a six point lead and 16 games left, but on current form (5 points from 9 games) we are looking at a final points total in the low 40s. Only a change of form, or extreme incompetence from the teams below us, will stop us going down.

After all, if we did get properly dragged into the scrap, can you really see this team battling their way out of it?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2018 17:02

Boycotting won't help make a difference. Go to the games and be as vocal as you can against the current set up. Get on the pitch after the game to protest too.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Feb 2018 17:03

Pants Day worked, didn’t it?

The club pretty much turned the corner from that very game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 17:09

Indeed it did......and it was actually a bit of a laugh.

However, I would imagine that it pre-dates some of the posters here....and (from memory) there was only about 6 1/2 thousand there to participate....so some of the many that allude to it probably weren’t even there.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Feb 2018 17:13

genome
Lower West Reading has lost currently it's soul. We are little more than a stepping stone for Stam and the better squad players.

We want out club back...........

But people were saying, last year under Stam, that "we have our club back again" after a couple of years of being rubbish.

Just because we're in shit form doesn't mean that the "club is dead" or "we have no soul"... it's overly dramatic nonsense that doesn't help anyone.

My comment isn't directed at Stam . Stam given the resources will become good manager. Just has the Bredan Rodgers feel at the moment. A system that isn't working. Best squad of players that we've had for a while looking very poor.

The Chinese are business people. They've no interest in Reading or the club supporters.

I won't be boycotting games either.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2018 17:22

Those calling for PANTS DAY 2 as a way of removing Stam seem to be forgetting what the acronym stood for. 'Players Are Not Trying Sufficiently' . Is that really the case now? I thought your beef was against Stam.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 17:23

AthleticoSpizz Indeed it did......and it was actually a bit of a laugh.

However, I would imagine that it pre-dates some of the posters here....and (from memory) there was only about 6 1/2 thousand there to participate....so some of the many that allude to it probably weren’t even there.
oh and as a sidedish, just look at where our opposition from that day are right now :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Feb 2018 17:24

Thing is, we could actually do quite well in the next two games, Middlesbrough are having a slightly poor spell at home and we do alright away, then there's Forest who like us, have lost their last 4 home games. Fact is, this season our home form is in the shitter so we are relying on our away form to keep us out of trouble.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 17:25

RoyalBlue Those calling for PANTS DAY 2 as a way of removing Stam seem to be forgetting what the acronym stood for. 'Players Are Not Trying Sufficiently' . Is that really the case now? I thought your beef was against Stam.
reading some of the BFTG comments, I think that acronym still stands.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Feb 2018 18:09

RoyalBlue Those calling for PANTS DAY 2 as a way of removing Stam seem to be forgetting what the acronym stood for. 'Players Are Not Trying Sufficiently' . Is that really the case now? I thought your beef was against Stam.

The acronym came after the idea though.

Maybe we should comment on how boring the football is by turning up in pyjamas and dozing off across the empty seats during the game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 18:14

tmesis

The acronym came after the idea though.

Maybe we should comment on how boring the football is by turning up in pyjamas and dozing off across the empty seats during the game.
as good an idea as any.....and as in the PANTS day thing.....getting your point across with a bit of a laugh

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 04 Feb 2018 18:39

Or how about a ‘silent’(stam isn’t listening enough nor trying)day where participants don’t show any audible support for the entire game..

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 18:44

.....like normal then? :wink:

JR

by JR » 04 Feb 2018 18:49

Snowflake Royal I reserve protests for the real shit and people who have been consistently poor with no history of success for us, personally.

I won't chant 'Stam out', 'sacked in the morning' or wave around pants because I don't think he deserves it. So far he's had an excellent season beyond all expectations and most of a pretty poor one. But currently we're not really a lot worse off than the two seasons prior to him taking over, but with a better squad for recovering.

It just strikes me as ungrateful. He's performed badly enough to be sacked but I have no ill will towards him. If he goes it'll be 'thanks for your efforts and the good times' from me and 'lets get on with it and back the team and new guy'

I don't think thrre really needs to be much pressure from the fans. The general malaise on the pitch is pretty clear and results and performances speak for themselves.

Hear, hear!!

I’m considering giving up on hob nob because most of you post irrational knee jerk nonsense that lurches from one extreme to another.

A great example was the predictions thread for the Millwall game - nobody predicted a defeat and all but one predicted a win - if things are so bad then why were you all optimists all of a sudden.

Championship football is a game of fine lines, momentum and confidence - and unfortunately things have not worked out for us this season like we had hoped.

However, I would be proud of our club if we back the long term project and keep Stam. I don’t agree with a number of his decisions but believe he will become an excellent football manager and would like to see him do that for a few more years at Reading.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2018 18:53

(against the obvious grain) +1

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 05 Feb 2018 15:09

I've been boycotting Reading football matches for about three years now and I find that not having to spend time with other Reading fans and not having to watch Reading play football has made me much, much happier. You should try going along to a game or two of rugby - higher class fans at a higher class sport. It's just wonderful.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Feb 2018 15:12

Sebastian the Red You should try going along to a game or two of rugby - higher class fans at a higher class sport. It's just wonderful.

No it isn't.

189 posts