The reason we're stuck with Stam

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The reason we're stuck with Stam

by Stranded » 06 Feb 2018 12:59

Royal Rother
John Smith
Jackson Corner They can score goals. How many of our overpaid squad will fancy going to Accrington on a wet Tuesday? Relegation would be catastrophic a huge wage bill would have to be slashed and that’s assuming anyone would be interested in buying the likes of Aluko, Mcleary, Moore, Blacket, Illyri, Swift, Barrow, Mannone, Gunter, McShane, Edwards. All with Premier League experience. Can’t see them fancying it at Roots Hall in front 4,000. I can see the owners pulling out and the club going into administration a 20 point penalty and a transfer imbargo. Relegation to league two further points deductions all assets sold to play debts including the ground for housing development. The club wound up and Reading Fc will no longer be in existence. A few brave souls will re start the club as FC Reading est 2025 in the isthmian league with home games at Scoures lane. Exciting times lie ahead. :D

:D :lol: All of this written because of a home defeat

Royal Rother Strap wrote.....

Burton are probably not capable of a significant upsurge but both Sunderland and Hull are highly likely to string a few wins together soon. A couple of the teams at the bottom always do.

We on the other hand are going to keep on losing.

Doomed I’m afraid.

Worst post ever made on this forum.

You clearly have no idea of both side's form or future fixtures.

Oh blah blah, says the fcuking forum halfwit himself.

So maybe Sunderland and Hull won’t win another game, but whoever they end up being, some teams ALWAYS start winning games against expectation towards the end of the season.

ALWAYS.

And the way things are going I can’t see one of those teams being Reading with Stam in charge.

Ok so maybe I’m the half wit and maybe it will only take 40 points this season but generally it takes circa 50 points to stay up.

Can anybody see Reading getting another 18 points?

Seriously?

Ok, so let's look at this in a bit more detail as I'm still at lunch. Lets assume that Hull and Sunderland improve from their current PPG to take 1.5 PPG over the the last 16 games. That would mean they would reach 50 and 49pts respectively. Burton would have 48 if going at 1.5 PPG. This would mean teams would almost double their current PPG total over the last 16.

If all 3 clubs manage that then if we pick up points at the same rate as we have throught the season, we will get to 49 and it will come down to goal difference.

A more realistic scenario, the bottom 3 improve their PPG by 50% so from approx 0.8 PPG to 1.2PPG. Would see sides get around 19/20 pts from here. Meaning we would need 14/15pts.

Lets now look at current form, I'll take the standard 6 games.

If we maintain our form over the last 6 to the end of the season, we would have 45pts (0,83PPG). To get to 46pts (to take GD out of the question), teams would need to improve recent form by the following:

Hull - From 0,5 PPG to 1,25 PPG
Sunderland - 1 PPG to 1.31 PPG
Burton - 0,66 PPG to 1,37 PPG

So assuming we get no worse, 2 of the bottom 3 would need to improve their form markedly to ensure we are relegated.

Again, this is no guarantee but shows that as it stands, we will have to get no better whilst teams who have been markedly worse than us will need to maintain a vastly higher PPG over the last 16 games.

We have shown that we can turn around poor form this season, our Nov/Dec run of 15pts from 24, was directly after a run of 5 pts from 24. We are currently on a run of 5 pts from 24.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Feb 2018 13:20

Stranded Ok, so let's look at this in a bit more detail as I'm still at lunch. Lets assume that Hull and Sunderland improve from their current PPG to take 1.5 PPG over the the last 16 games. That would mean they would reach 50 and 49pts respectively. Burton would have 48 if going at 1.5 PPG. This would mean teams would almost double their current PPG total over the last 16.

If all 3 clubs manage that then if we pick up points at the same rate as we have throught the season, we will get to 49 and it will come down to goal difference.

A more realistic scenario, the bottom 3 improve their PPG by 50% so from approx 0.8 PPG to 1.2PPG. Would see sides get around 19/20 pts from here. Meaning we would need 14/15pts.

If we maintain our form over the last 6 to the end of the season, we would have 45pts (0,83PPG). To get to 46pts (to take GD out of the question), teams would need to improve recent form by the following:

So assuming we get no worse, 2 of the bottom 3 would need to improve their form markedly to ensure we are relegated.

Again, this is no guarantee but shows that as it stands, we will have to get no better whilst teams who have been markedly worse than us will need to maintain a vastly higher PPG over the last 16 games.

We have shown that we can turn around poor form this season, our Nov/Dec run of 15pts from 24, was directly after a run of 5 pts from 24. We are currently on a run of 5 pts from 24.

Well done stranded, interesting insight.

Relegation ain't happening so just chill your beans and let's go again next season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Feb 2018 14:35

Gosh I do hope you are right.

But if you extend the recent form thing to 9 games then Reading have accumulated 5 points from 27, Hull 4, and Sunderland and Burton both have 10 points.

If we all carried on at that rate for the rest of the season I suspect we’d be securely in the bottom 3....?

FWIW that is....

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Feb 2018 15:00

Royal Rother Gosh I do hope you are right.

But if you extend the recent form thing to 9 games then Reading have accumulated 5 points from 27, Hull 4, and Sunderland and Burton both have 10 points.

If we all carried on at that rate for the rest of the season I suspect we’d be securely in the bottom 3....?

FWIW that is....

I think the main point is that you seem to be assuming other teams will go on a significant winning run at some point but in truth the onlt team amongst the bottom 6/7 that has shown they can go on such a run was us. I'm not as blasé as some about it but all this "we're doomed" is way ott even given the worst take on this season's evidence.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 06 Feb 2018 15:28

John Smith
Stranded Ok, so let's look at this in a bit more detail as I'm still at lunch. Lets assume that Hull and Sunderland improve from their current PPG to take 1.5 PPG over the the last 16 games. That would mean they would reach 50 and 49pts respectively. Burton would have 48 if going at 1.5 PPG. This would mean teams would almost double their current PPG total over the last 16.

Well done stranded, interesting insight.

Relegation ain't happening so just chill your beans and let's go again next season.

The main thing is that we need to accumulate points at least at the same rate as the teams below us, the final total matters not - as long as its more than the bottom 3.

Anyway I'm full of confidence and have just secured 1500/1 for Reading to be promoted this year ...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Feb 2018 15:49

Royal Rother Gosh I do hope you are right.

FWIW that is....

If you want to go by 9 games (and remember all calcs shown have also ignored Brum, Bolton and Barnsley who are also worse than us but currently better than the bottom 3) then if that form is extrapolated, the table would be:

Sunderland 43pts
Reading 42pts
Burton 42pts
Hull 35pts

So Sunderland would catch us, so would need Barnsley to take 5pts more and swing the GD for us to go down. Not impossible, but odds still on our side.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 06 Feb 2018 19:25

windermereROYAL Well Wigan who finished 23rd with 42 points are running away with L1, Blackburn 22nd (51) are sitting 3rd, and Rotherham who were totally dogshit (23) are in 5th.
Not saying it will be easy but you would have to fancy us.

I can't believe we're actually discussing relegation as if it's not so bad!
The owners are using the club as a tax dodge. They couldn't give a shit about the fortunes of the club, just as long as they can make some money disappear when they're declaring their tax they're cool.
I agree about Stam. They've probably only met him a couple of times. I'd be surprised if they even look at the results this season. The only way he'll go is if the fans make a more obvious sign of discontent, i.e. another pants day.
It's totally shit. One shot at home against Millwall is appalling, even if we were in the conference and played them in the cup i'd expect better than that.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 06 Feb 2018 20:30

marcusopp The owners are using the club as a tax dodge.

TBF that's not an angle I'd considered. Is there any substance to that?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Feb 2018 21:02

strap
marcusopp The owners are using the club as a tax dodge.

TBF that's not an angle I'd considered. Is there any substance to that?

Guesswork so it must be true. :roll:

Elmpk17

by Elmpk17 » 07 Feb 2018 10:06

I would hazard a guess at the owners/club not having a huge amount of finance to either settle Stam and his coaching staff's contracts. Either as lump sums or as an agreed monthly payment until he gets another job. Sounds as though he isn't on low wages, especially after signing his new contract, and he's got 4/5 of his choice of coaching staff??
Also, the threat of relegation is very real, but not just part of why so many want him out. The shocking home form, entertainment value, style of play, etc etc. There doesn't seem to be any signs of improvement, that would earn Stam the longer project view. I can't think of a him being able to have things this bad, and dramatically turning a team into a completely different outfit.
Relegation would be horrendous financially, no doubt about it. The team and fans would bounce back, but the club would be in deeper shit than they possibly are now, and have been for a number of years.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Feb 2018 13:46

When Alan Pardew was manager here, he went through a phase where the players were in need of motivation and he saved his job by bringing a new assistant manager in the form of Martin Mad Dog Allen to, amongst other things improve morale and make things fun again.

Some of the things I remember - getting the players to play football with an imaginary ball and getting them to warm up in the oppositions half.

Anyway, Stam should get someone in to do the things he can't do/isn't doing well.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Feb 2018 15:05

Elmpk17 Can't think of a him being able to have things this bad, and dramatically turning a team into a completely different outfit.

What, like he did last season?

In a way you are right, though. If we stay up this season, and finish Top 6 next season, a lot of 'the fans' still won't like him, sadly.

Elmpk17

by Elmpk17 » 07 Feb 2018 16:12

Denver Royal
Elmpk17 Can't think of a him being able to have things this bad, and dramatically turning a team into a completely different outfit.

What, like he did last season?

In a way you are right, though. If we stay up this season, and finish Top 6 next season, a lot of 'the fans' still won't like him, sadly.

Fair point. But. He came in with fresh ideas and new styles of playing, which were completely different from what he inherited. He had plenty of support as we knew it was work in progress. This season we have gone backwards under those same ideas. We've shown no improvement in tempo, goals, excitement, winning or stronger mentality, with arguably a stronger squad.
Surely now, working completely to his way, we should have shown some signs of progress. Which leads to the question of can he dramatically change everything around? The club appears to be lacking in confidence and heart due to what's happening under Stam's leadership.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Mar 2018 19:45

John Smith

We are effectively banking on Burton, Sunderland and Hull having a worse last 16 games than us. Not really a fool-proof strategy is it?

Burton are probably not capable of a significant upsurge but both Sunderland and Hull are highly likely to string a few wins together soon. A couple of the teams at the bottom always do.

Doomed I’m afraid.

You’ve gone a bit quiet.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Mar 2018 19:47

Royal Rother
John Smith

Doomed I’m afraid.

You’ve gone a bit quiet.

It’s rare we agree but yes, we’ve both been calling this out for ages now.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Mar 2018 19:52

£2.5m termination clause to get back on topic?

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 17 Mar 2018 20:28

Do you know this for sure ?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Mar 2018 20:35

Yep.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Mar 2018 20:36

Negotiable though surely?

It’s time to start negotiating if so

He is clearly not short of a few quid from his playing days. Play hardball on this and his managerial career may be very short indeed

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 17 Mar 2018 21:08

tee peg £2.5m termination clause to get back on topic?

Mayb that explains the apathy ..