Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a neat finish from Paul Holsgrove

by Sutekh » 07 Feb 2018 14:20

When : Saturday, 10th February, 3pm
Where : Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS3 6RS
Capacity : 35,100
Away Stand : East Stand near the SE corner
Which former players might I see in the area : John Craggs, Alan Foggon, Jim Platt, Peter Creamer

Respect. Respect to all those Reading fans that will trek all the way to Teesside to watch what is likely to be another display you’d rather forget - and have to pay £30 for the privilege. But then it’ll probably be better than the uncaring slop that gets dished out at the Mad Stad and at least there’s a small chance of 3 points on a Saturday.

Middlesbrough are 9th in the table and hoping to finish in the play offs. They in the midst of indifferent home form having failed to score in their last three league games at the Riverside losing two of them (both to the current leading form sides Fulham and Villa though). Generally their issues are against the better sides in the division rather than those struggling for form so this one is going to be about as hard as it can get for Reading on their travels.

Middlesbrough are expected to give a debut to Man City loanee Jack Harrison who was only signed by City in January from the MLS. Rudy Gestede has won his battle to overturn a 3 game ban imposed after being sent off at Norwich last week so is likely to be playing.

Reading could have Swift and Richards available for the bench after their hamstring problems – a decision won’t be made until Friday after assessing their progress this week. Other than that is pretty much about perming a team from the same faces. Chris Martin might start but again that will depend on his match fitness so it may mean another place on the bench for him.

Referee

Nottinghamshire's David Coote takes control of this one

Previously

25 Nov 2017 > Reading 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
21 Oct 2017 > Sheffield United 2-1 Reading
05 Nov 2016 > Wigan Athletic 0-3 Reading
17 Sep 2016 > Barnsley 1-2 Reading
12 Jan 2016 > Derby County 1-1 Reading
22 Aug 2015 > Reading 0-0 MK Dons
16 Feb 2014 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-3 Reading
07 Dec 2013 > Reading 1-2 AFC Bournemouth
03 Aug 2013 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town
11 Feb 2012 > Reading 2-0 Coventry City

Historically

League games with Middlesbrough stretch back all the way to 1927 but they are a bit rare with only 14 played in Middlesbrough to date. Of those 14 Reading haven't done too badly by recording 4 wins to 'boro's 6 however Reading have conceded twice as many as Middlesbrough (22 to 11) in that time.

Since 'boro moved to the Riverside Reading have visited on 9 occasions and won 3 but have lost 5 so the suggestion is there won't be any sitting on the fence and one side of the other will run out winners. Additionally there should be goals about as the only draw at the Riverside was 1-1.

So 0-0 it is then (and let's face it we'd probably all take that now if it was offered).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a neat finish from Paul Holsgrove

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2018 14:22

That Coote looks delighted to be included in the Matchwatch. Look how happy it is!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a neat finish from Paul Holsgrove

by John Smith » 07 Feb 2018 14:27

I see the ref was the same for the Wednesday home match which I don't think flowed particularly well. If the same stop start tempo is in place and free kicks are given away then this might play into Pulis' direct 'philosophy'.

We seem to have done OK at the Riverside in the last few trips so I think I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw. A deserved equaliser from Böðvarsson coming off the bench, cancelling out a set piece from Boro.

Pat on the back to all of those travelling - that coach leaving at 6:45 will be fun.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 07 Feb 2018 14:32

Massive respect to all 14 of our fans travelling to boro in circumstances like this

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 08 Feb 2018 12:24

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Feb 2018 13:33

I think we may get something out of this. Maybe a 0-0

Would have played Blackett LB but suspect his confidence is shot

Be interesting to see how we line up - presumably be 2 up Top again, likely Martin and Dadi

BKnumber6

by BKnumber6 » 08 Feb 2018 13:59

I am personally choosing this game as the one that I officially boycott.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Feb 2018 15:05

I reckon we're going to get something out of this, which will be doubly sweet as the haters are even more upset when we win these days than when we lose

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Feb 2018 19:06

4-1 Boro, they are a big side and we just don't have the quality at the back if their lobbing balls in the box.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 08 Feb 2018 19:09

Some of our clueless fans just don't get it
Just like the Burton away result. Its like putting a plaster on a severed limb. (Oh and I was there and although we won we weren't that good)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2018 09:16

Royality creeps In Some of our clueless fans just don't get it
Just like the Burton away result. Its like putting a plaster on a severed limb. (Oh and I was there and although we won we weren't that good)

And Reading need a minimum of 6 more "plasters" this season to have any chance.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2018 09:21

Really starting to regret not getting a ticket for this one. Would have really enjoyed seeing our 2nd away win of the season and no queue at the bar.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Feb 2018 14:01

Reading: Mannone, Gunter (c), Moore, Ilori, Bacuna, Van den Berg, Edwards, Kelly, McCleary, Aluko, Böðvarsson.

Subs: Jaakkola, Kermorgant, Clement, Blackett, Martin, Richards, Smith.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Feb 2018 14:05

Hmmm. No Barrow is a bit of a disaster. McCleary and Aluko on the wings, very badly need to show some form

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2018 14:07

Royals and Racers Reading: Mannone, Gunter (c), Moore, Ilori, Bacuna, Van den Berg, Edwards, Kelly, McCleary, Aluko, Böðvarsson.

Blackett ready to resume as substituted substitute I see

Nice to see the fit McCleary and outstanding Aluko forming a deadly partnership now that Barrow must be injured

And Evans is presumably knackered as well

Going to be a looooooooooooong afternoon

And THREE strikers on the bench :lol:

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 Feb 2018 14:37

Reading: Mannone, Gunter (c), Moore, Ilori, Bacuna, Shit, Edwards, Shit, Shit, Shit, Böðvarsson.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 10 Feb 2018 14:41

Sutekh
Royals and Racers Reading: Mannone, Gunter (c), Moore, Ilori, Bacuna, Van den Berg, Edwards, Kelly, McCleary, Aluko, Böðvarsson.

Blackett ready to resume as substituted substitute I see

Nice to see the fit McCleary and outstanding Aluko forming a deadly partnership now that Barrow must be injured

And Evans is presumably knackered as well

Going to be a looooooooooooong afternoon

And THREE strikers on the bench :lol:

Agreed. 1 striker in the starting XI, and 3 on the bench of 7! AND 2 left backs on the bench and none in the starting XI. Stam has lost all contact with reality.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 Feb 2018 14:46

On the bright side, I recall a jolly boys outing to Yarm.... and then the single moment of quality in Holsgrove's reading career at Ayresome Park.

Pity it was up the other end and I could see bugger all - or was too "jolly."

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 10 Feb 2018 14:51

Amazing bench ! , looks like the plan is to use our solid defense to keep things scoreless and then bring on the strikers to steal a win late in the game.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Feb 2018 14:57

Barrow is ill

191 posts