Stam is doing this deliberately.

Forest Gump

Stam is doing this deliberately.

by Forest Gump » 11 Feb 2018 01:48

Most people know that if you keep doing the same things then the outcome won’t change
So why does our manager keep playing a system that does not suit his players and expect them to be able to make a success of it.
He is either completely stupid ( which I doubt) or stubbornly does not care.
It’s obvious that he has an issue with the clubs lack of support for transfer activity and must realise that his team Is weak in many areas. But I think he is pig-headed enough to continue with his tactics anyway and sod the Club.
He’s not exactly happy with fan base either so why would he care what we think?
His system has failed yet he won’t change it because to him his principle is more important than our Club.
It’s obvious: Stam does not give a toss about Reading Football Club.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Stam is doing this deliberately.

by CountryRoyal » 11 Feb 2018 03:28

Forest Gump It’s obvious: Stam does not give a toss about Reading Football Club.

He never has tbf.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Feb 2018 04:32

Forest Gump Most people know that if you keep doing the same things then the outcome won’t change
So why does our manager keep playing a system that does not suit his players and expect them to be able to make a success of it.
It’s obvious that he has an issue with the clubs lack of support for transfer activity and must realise that his team Is weak in many areas. But I think he is pig-headed enough to continue with his tactics anyway and sod the Club.
His system has failed yet he won’t change it because to him his principle is more important than our Club.

This was a team that was a goal away from promotion last season and are using the exact same tactics this season. The club spent big over the Summer to improve the squad for this season. So what has happened?

Injuries to key players. Obita lost for the entire season. Swift missing large portions of the season. Kermorgant missed the start of the season and doesn't seem remotely close to finding some form. Evans being hurt most of the season. Bringing in Elphic and immediately losing him to injury. Add to that not finding a suitable replacement for Williams and it is easy to see why the team is struggling. These were all key players last season. Plus the two players that seemed to embody the heart and soul of this team last season, the aforementioned Williams plus al-Habsi, are both gone.

That brings me to the "not investing" part. The club spent big during the offseason. The willingness to spend is not the problem. The commitment was there. We just spent poorly. The players we got can not effectively replace the players we've lost to injury and transfer.

But to say Stam doesn't care or is "doing this on purpose" is so divorced from reality that is am suspecting someone got into mine, or Brendy's, stash without us knowing about it...until now. Of course Stam cares. Of course the players care. Unfortunately they are not good enough (can only base it on the results so far so I don't feel that is being harsh) to get the job done.

One thing I am also fairly certain of is that booing/getting on the backs of Stam and the players isn't helping things along right now. And even if the club sacks Stam I don't see us changing our style of play because the style of play is what our DoF, who will choose Stam's successor, is an advocate of.

I think the team will stay up...just. They have been much better when Swift and Evans, but especially Swift, have been available. Both should (hopefully) be back soon and give us enough of a lift to keep us safe. But right now things are so toxic that it still might be 50-50 proposition at best...

Finally I keep thinking to myself this season...geez I really miss Obita, Swift and Williams this season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Feb 2018 08:04

Libertine
Forest Gump Most people know that if you keep doing the same things then the outcome won’t change

This was a team that was a goal away from promotion last season and are using the exact same tactics this season. The club spent big over the Summer to improve the squad for this season. So what has happened?

Injuries to key players. Obita lost for the entire season. Swift missing large portions of the season. Kermorgant missed the start of the season and doesn't seem remotely close to finding some form. Evans being hurt most of the season. Bringing in Elphic and immediately losing him to injury. Add to that not finding a suitable replacement for Williams and it is easy to see why the team is struggling. These were all key players last season. Plus the two players that seemed to embody the heart and soul of this team last season, the aforementioned Williams plus al-Habsi, are both gone.

That brings me to the "not investing" part. The club spent big during the offseason. The willingness to spend is not the problem. The commitment was there. We just spent poorly. The players we got can not effectively replace the players we've lost to injury and transfer.

But to say Stam doesn't care or is "doing this on purpose" is so divorced from reality that is am suspecting someone got into mine, or Brendy's, stash without us knowing about it...until now. Of course Stam cares. Of course the players care. Unfortunately they are not good enough (can only base it on the results so far so I don't feel that is being harsh) to get the job done.

One thing I am also fairly certain of is that booing/getting on the backs of Stam and the players isn't helping things along right now. And even if the club sacks Stam I don't see us changing our style of play because the style of play is what our DoF, who will choose Stam's successor, is an advocate of.

I think the team will stay up...just. They have been much better when Swift and Evans, but especially Swift, have been available. Both should (hopefully) be back soon and give us enough of a lift to keep us safe. But right now things are so toxic that it still might be 50-50 proposition at best...

Finally I keep thinking to myself this season...geez I really miss Obita, Swift and Williams this season.

Yes no doubt about it that we've had injuries to key players, but we shouldn't use it as an excuse. Many teams have injuries to big players and Stam hasn't adopted our style of play and tactics to the ones who are fit.

This leaves 2 things.
1) the coaching. The injury list baffles me and makes me wonder what happens in training. The whole set up obviously needs looking at there.

2) Managerial incompetence, I'd even say this point has also caused some of the injuries. That said, the starting 11s we put out on paper should be good enough to keep us in midtable. A good manager would change the system to those players that are available. He's shown stubbornness to change things all year. The way he criticises players for mistakes in a system that doesn't suit those players is comical. They're no longer playing for him and we are now losing games by other teams being better than us. At the start of the season, I sensed fight and we were unlucky to lose or draw games but happened due to silly errors (van Den Berg v Fulham), (Mannone and Bodvarsson vs Bristol City) etc. That fight is no longer there and that worries me exponentially.

The sooner we pull the trigger on Stam the better. We could do with someone who has management experience in this division until the end of the season. It's a shame Colin is at Cardiff or he'd be perfect to give these players the kick up the backside that they need.

We are sleep walking towards league 1 and Gourlay needs to wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late. Sack Stam now and it gives us 10 days to get someone in before Derby at home.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Feb 2018 08:48

I still can't get over the shambles of a pre-season we had. In all the years of supporting the club I'd never seen anything like it and it worried me at the time. Of course Stam had a scapegoat - being in the play-offs - like no other team has ever lost a play-off final but I feel it's indicative of things behind the scene.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2018 08:54

Do grow up and get a brain.

Wah wah wah. Things are going badly wah wah wah it must be a conspiracy.

How old are you? Three? FFS.

Forty

by Forty » 11 Feb 2018 09:09

Libertine ... They have been much better when Swift and Evans, but especially Swift, have been available....

Crickey. Swift. The epitomy of turn up for 5 minutes in a 90 minute game. Twin brother of Aluko - mr turn up for 4 minutes of 90 minute game. If you're expecting Swift to be our saviour, I fear you may be disappointed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Feb 2018 11:15

Snowflake Royal Do grow up and get a brain.

It’s embarrassing, isn’t it?

It’s amazing how being in terrible form really does expose some dribbling morons.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Feb 2018 11:21

Forty
Libertine ... They have been much better when Swift and Evans, but especially Swift, have been available....

Crickey. Swift. The epitomy of turn up for 5 minutes in a 90 minute game. Twin brother of Aluko - mr turn up for 4 minutes of 90 minute game. If you're expecting Swift to be our saviour, I fear you may be disappointed.

At least Swift turns up for 5 minutes in most games. Aluko is 4 minutes, in 1 game, 3 seasons ago.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Feb 2018 11:39

I'm as unhappy as the next bloke but sometimes things just don't work

Look at Sheffield Wednesday, great last season, poor this (one place above us)

so they sack the manager who has worked miracles at Swansea

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Feb 2018 12:49

Snowflake Royal Do grow up and get a brain.

Sad state of affairs when a 3 year old has access to the internet. Impressive writing skills considering though. :lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Feb 2018 13:04

What, like starting new threads for negative rants that have all been heard before?

Forty

by Forty » 11 Feb 2018 13:12

Jagermesiter1871
Forty

At least Swift turns up for 5 minutes in most games. Aluko is 4 minutes, in 1 game, 3 seasons ago.

Fairs. I'll give you that.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Feb 2018 13:15

Forest Gump So why does our manager keep playing a system that does not suit his players and expect them to be able to make a success of it.

The system being played has no connection to the players individually not being the types to battle for a win.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Feb 2018 13:30

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2018 15:38

Jagermesiter1871
Forty

3 best performances of the season were prob Villa, Derby and Forest. Swift was possibly our best player in all 3

He is inconsistent, but when on song we are a completely different team

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 11 Feb 2018 15:47

Denver Royal

What, like starting new threads for negative rants that have all been heard before?

lolz

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2018 16:11

Royal_jimmy
Libertine

Yes no doubt about it that we've had injuries to key players, but we shouldn't use it as an excuse. Many teams have injuries to big players and Stam hasn't adopted our style of play and tactics to the ones who are fit.

This leaves 2 things.
1) the coaching. The injury list baffles me and makes me wonder what happens in training. The whole set up obviously needs looking at there.

Training methods and injuries are (should be) 99% down to the sports scientists, physios and medical staff.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Feb 2018 19:59

Denver Royal

We shouldn’t be allowed to discuss stuff like that on here. It’s bad for morale.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Feb 2018 20:28

A lot of Championship teams have suffered injury problems. We are no different. It’s an excuse for what has been a woeful season. The stupidity in the summer transfer window played a major part in our dire form. To go into the new season with just one fit senior striker was inexcusable especially as that forward had a goal scoring record at Wolves that made Simon Church look like Messi.

Stam and Tevreden have spunked multi millions on players. They should both go.