The alternative course of action now...

Old Man Andrews

Re: The alternative course of action now...

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Feb 2018 20:25

Denver Royal
Victor Meldrew ...moans from players and managers about a few (and it is only a few) booing

You are one of the few that I've actually seen differentiate between 'the fans' and 'only a few'. One might conclude then, that Stam's comments have not been directed at 'the fans' in general, but rather only a few. (A distinction that seems lost on some, or at least one they like, and choose, to ignore in their narratives.)

This isn't a criticism of you personally because you are perfectly entitled to your opinion but can Jaap Stam do anything wrong in your eyes?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Feb 2018 21:10

SCIAG It's hard to accuse any of our players of less than maximum effort.

SCIAG, that's a good point mate. The various coaches will have a pretty good idea in training and in games of who is trying, and to what extent.

Obviously we are just fans, but in watching a game its crossed my mind that Aluko maybe wasn't giving 100% (and he was duly subbed off), but then I thought about it afterward and I thought maybe he was trying, but just not playing well and/or was low in confidence.

I thought last season the players were giving maximum effort. I think many have said as much, and cited it as one of the reasons for our success.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Feb 2018 11:11

Denver Royal
SCIAG It's hard to accuse any of our players of less than maximum effort.

SCIAG, that's a good point mate. The various coaches will have a pretty good idea in training and in games of who is trying, and to what extent.

Obviously we are just fans, but in watching a game its crossed my mind that Aluko maybe wasn't giving 100% (and he was duly subbed off), but then I thought about it afterward and I thought maybe he was trying, but just not playing well and/or was low in confidence.

I thought last season the players were giving maximum effort. I think many have said as much, and cited it as one of the reasons for our success.

I think it is much more about focus than physical effort although in Joey's case not only does he lose focus but also doesn't possess the speed needed for a covering midfielder, e.g. the vain and heavy-legged attempt to keep up with Traore for the second goal last week.
I know I have mentioned it before but it strikes me that within this team so few take personal responsibility and are happy to leave problems for others to deal with.
Gunter, Blackett and Joey all come in this bracket, often leaving Moore to take action that they should probably be doing.

This season, and particularly of late, the ever reliable Moore seems less so and at times must feel like tearing his hair out and thinking "Am I the only one here who knows how or wants to defend?"
The manager must surely see this as a former defender who was prepared to take responsibility but he seems unable to convey this to our poor defenders.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Feb 2018 14:36

My view is that it's not about physical effort, and I think it's very very rare for a player to not be trying and not be putting in the proverbial 110%.

It's a lot more about the physical and mental bravery to perform or do the things that they need to do to be more effective (especially within the structure and environment Stam has created).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2018 16:17

Hoop Blah It's a lot more about the physical and mental bravery to perform or do the things that they need to do to be more effective (especially within the structure and environment Stam has created).

Do you mean things like quick first-time forward passes, through balls, quickly switching play, picking out the man making the run, going past people in midfield, etc.?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Feb 2018 16:21

SCIAG
Hoop Blah It's a lot more about the physical and mental bravery to perform or do the things that they need to do to be more effective (especially within the structure and environment Stam has created).

Do you mean things like quick first-time forward passes, through balls, quickly switching play, picking out the man making the run, going past people in midfield, etc.?

Exactly. Being brave isn't all about running into tackles it's about taking the ball under pressure, doing things that involve a little bit of risk (at the right times) and all things you mention.

Players don't not try (generally), but sometimes they might not be brave enough, or have the confidence to do the right things, and that's when they lose form or look like they're not trying.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2018 17:22

Hoop Blah
SCIAG

Exactly. Being brave isn't all about running into tackles it's about taking the ball under pressure, doing things that involve a little bit of risk (at the right times) and all things you mention.

Players don't not try (generally), but sometimes they might not be brave enough, or have the confidence to do the right things, and that's when they lose form or look like they're not trying.

And anyone who has played at any level surely knows that if you're having a bad game it can get in your head, you try too hard and oxf*rd it up worse, or just give up and rely solely on effort.

I think consistently crossing the white line happy, relaxed and confident in yourself and your teammates can often mean the difference between finishing top 10 and finishing bottom 10.