255 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (a) sponsored by things can only get better

by strap » 20 Feb 2018 21:45

LWJ
strap
LWJ It's been coming :cry:

Gunter could have done better. But as you say it's been coming - good old Stam's "Total Non-football".

Sometimes the fault lies with the players... Not your scapegoat.

Seriously - WHAT?!? So the players ignore Stam's instructions?? Perhaps you should take off your RTGs chap.

A point is better than none, but this was a game we should have won given the respective sides lead up to the game. Cannot agree with your opinion that Stam was not at fault tonight - but I do defend your right to hold such a view. :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 21:45

Anyone else think Forest actually looked pretty good?

Nope? Just me then :)

Would have been disappointed with a draw before the game and obvs at 1-0 up but we didn’t deserve anymore

We tried hard and had a few good bits of play but were well outplayed in that 2nd half

No real complaints tbh

alfie9

by alfie9 » 20 Feb 2018 21:45

I'd be fine with us cutting about half of the squad loose this summer. Bottlers. Let's start fresh with our recent academy grads

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 20 Feb 2018 21:45

That was dreadful.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2018 21:46

tidus_mi2 Would have taken a point before the game but oxf*rd me is it frustrating to drop points to another late goal.

We were lucky to get a point. If Forest had a decent striker we would have been buried. I can’t believe how poor our passing has become. Forest were putting our players under pressure and we panicked. Having said that it looked like we had weathered the storm but Gunter was caught badly out of position.

I just don’t get the love for Kelly. He is simply not good enough. He should be nowhere near the first team.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Feb 2018 21:47

Got to say agreed.

That second half performance was incompetent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 21:48

Gunter was out of position but got back goal side

Fcuk knows where the covering midfielder was who left Tomlin on his own though

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2018 21:51

Derby then Sheffield United next. Both at home. Oh dear.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2018 21:52

[quote="Hound"]Gunter was out of position but got back goal side

Fcuk knows where the covering midfielder was who left Tomlin on his own though[/quote]

Too little too late from Gunter. He gave their player all the time in the world to make the pass inside.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 21:53

Yes - but still - where was the cover?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2018 21:53

Very much under pressure second half with very little outlet. Aluko seems utterly devoid of confidence in creating anything, but actually did ok in the middle third IMO. Summed up by a beautiful piece of skill by Bacuna to beat his man down the right, only to then look confused and pass back to their keeper. Martin offered absolutely nothing and should have done more than just shoot straight at a couple of defenders when (I think) Kelly played him in with not a great ball tbf.

Gunter's inspid play was typified back on the right tonight. Falling over under miinimal contact to scam freekicks when he'd run down a blind alley under pressure rather than clear it early. Deciding not to try to win the ball and instead track his man (fine) then instantly leaving him the second there was a turnover, so when Forest immediately won it back he was nowhere near where he was supposed to be to do any defensive work. And of course Tomlin finds a bit of space attacking our box and buries it.

I thought Berg was pretty decent, if walking a tightrope at times. Kelly tidier than recently but as with all our forward play lacking real spark. McCleary started positively but faded. Richards looks like he doesn't have the legs for 90 minutes at this level yet, but fair play to him he kept at it. Looked like Stam moved Bacuna in to cover his tired legs and stop him doing so much running up and down the line. Good management. Barrow seemed pretty anonymous.

Quite surprised Edwards came on for Kelly... I guess maybe safety first to add a bit of strength in midfield, but I'd have much rather seen Bod on for Kelly, Martin, Richards or Aluko.

All in all very disappointing to fail to beat a very poor Forest side. It's all well and good trying to defend a lead, but you have to control the ball in the middle of the park and still carry a threat. You can't just defend wave after wave of (shit) attacking. It looked to me like confidence shot players rather than a managerial guidance though. We didn't lose, we're a point closer to safety. It'll do, but we still need to get something from at least one of the next two or three as we didn't get the win.

Stam likely to hang on in there for another game or three with that point and other results not being horrendous.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Feb 2018 22:01

Crap result against a crap team we will lose the next three games. Make no mistake we are going down.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2018 22:02

Last season we would have seen the game out and won. Not this season. I have to question how fit this team is. We have conceded so many late goals. It’s cost us a shed load of points.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Feb 2018 22:02

Same old sh*t it is, then :|

A week in the sun has produced much the same result as might be expected from the same time being spent in a broom cupboard.
After nearly 2 seasons in charge, the former world class defender is no closer to getting his team to defend properly while it remains as blunt as fcuk up front. Why not try South Georgia next time there’s a break in our schedule? What have we got to lose, apart from the real reason we find ourselves in this position?

So glad I elected to not even bother listening tonight.

Berry

by Berry » 20 Feb 2018 22:05

Could of been worse, could of been better.....We move on again

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 22:07

I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t think we did that badly. Forest were obvs well up for it and looked an ok team to me

When we did attack we dd try to make things happen and had a few shots and chances. I didn’t think we were negative or insipid like against Millwall, Brum etc

Thought it was an entertaining second half

The main issue for me was that the passing is still just not good enough. Every other pass was under or over hit and we can kept giving the ball back. We almost look better going route one sometimes

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 20 Feb 2018 22:11

useless pile of French hairdressers. Couldn’t hold a lead for 5 more minutes.
Good f@cking bye to Championship status.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Feb 2018 22:12

Is that the same Tomlin who scored the late equaliser for Cardiff against us?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Feb 2018 22:13

Forest Gump useless pile of French hairdressers. Couldn’t hold a lead for 5 more minutes.
Good f@cking bye to Championship status.

Last time I looked we were 4 points above the drop zone, did you mistake this forum for twitter?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2018 22:14

Hound I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t think we did that badly. Forest were obvs well up for it and looked an ok team to me

When we did attack we dd try to make things happen and had a few shots and chances. I didn’t think we were negative or insipid like against Millwall, Brum etc

Thought it was an entertaining second half

The main issue for me was that the passing is still just not good enough. Every other pass was under or over hit and we can kept giving the ball back. We almost look better going route one sometimes

The team don’t help themselves. We had a free kick somewhere near the halfway line midway through the second half. It was a chance to play it long into their area to give our defence a breather. Instead Joey played it short and we were under pressure and lost the ball almost immediately. Braindead stuff.

Given how poor Forest have been we made them look really good. We were really stretched in the second half. Our midfield was poor. Kelly was anonymous, Bacuna erratic as always and Joey was Joey.

255 posts