Mentor for Stam/Turnaround consultant

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Mentor for Stam/Turnaround consultant

by PistolPete » 17 Feb 2018 23:59

I get the feeling the board of the club have decided Stam is their man; that he has the key attributes to succeed and it’s far better he learns and improves while at the club, than goes elsewhere to be the improved version. For what it’s worth, I like the plan; the players seem to like him and that’s paramount.

However, it’s stating the obvious to say without a swift improvement in performance we’ll struggle to survive. Furthermore, without this improvement we’re likely to lose the few players that can indeed do the jobs they’re payed for.

My solution? Let’s employ a 3 month expert consultant.

Stam seems to accept that opposition teams have ‘worked us out’ and that we need to learn to adapt. Reasonably, no-one thinks that Stam should know all the answers but there are guys out there that may have at least some of the answers. While clubs usually sack the manager for a ‘bounce’ in results, this can turn into a recurring theme- why not try a different approach?

So, maybe I’m dreaming, but Louis Van Gaal or Peter Bosz would be ideal. Perhaps lesser guys like Martin Jol and Frank de Boer would add value and understand the all-important ‘Ajax way’ yet have greater experience of management in general. If we were to really reach high, Marcelo Bielsa, Luis Enrique, Laurent Blanc and Thomas Tuchel are currently on the golf course and although wouldn’t dream of considering the Reading job full time, but maybe wouldn’t say no to a quick million quid and a fun challenge! Even Paul Clement, Slaven Bilic and Mark Hughes might come in for a few months and add something?! It’s a left-field idea as far as I know, but in all other industries hiring management and strategy consultants is normal!

I suppose the reason I think it’s not too far fetched is that none of the managers listed above have to cheapen their names by becoming the ‘Reading manager’ but rather accept a no-risk challenge as Jaap Stam’s mentor. It’s almost only upside because if they fail the buck won’t stop with them, if they succeed, they’re hailed at geniuses and their services become even more in demand.

This all presupposes that Stam isn’t too proud. He’s stubborn, but I do get the feeling he’s open minded and interested in personal development and the journey.

Thoughts?

Yes, yes, I know. Bring back the drummer, throw pants on the pitch, sack Gilkes and bring back Reid, kidnap Oliveira and stick him in Kermorgant’s shirt, or simply just rid ourselves of Stam...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Mentor for Stam/Turnaround consultant

by CountryRoyal » 18 Feb 2018 00:06

PistolPete he learns

Chance would be a fine thing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2018 00:07

PistolPete He’s stubborn, but I do get the feeling he’s open minded

What the oxf*rd gives you that feeling?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Feb 2018 00:20

Old Man Andrews
PistolPete He’s stubborn, but I do get the feeling he’s open minded

What the oxf*rd gives you that feeling?

A few things I guess:

-Taking the youth job at Ajax not a manager job immediately gives me the sense he wants to learn
-Hiring Gilkes shows he doesn’t just want Dutchmen he knows
-Playing 2 up front and alledgedly demanding the ball moved forward quicker shows he’s not stupidly closed minded
-Admitting that teams have worked us out and that we need to counter again
-Last season admitting his errors (does it less this season ironically!)

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2018 01:35

CountryRoyal
PistolPete he learns

Chance would be a fine thing. :oops:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2018 08:38

Never going to happen. A new coach, maybe. But bringing in someone like you describe undercuts Stam's authority, sends mixed messages and clouds the leadership at the club.

We've seen a few clubs bring in director's of football to 'help' the managers in their role (different to the normal dof role) and it usually involves the manager getting sacked shortly after having been undermined.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Feb 2018 11:32

Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal
PistolPete he learns

Is there an echo in here?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 19 Feb 2018 10:14

Snowflake Royal Never going to happen. A new coach, maybe. But bringing in someone like you describe undercuts Stam's authority, sends mixed messages and clouds the leadership at the club.

We've seen a few clubs bring in director's of football to 'help' the managers in their role (different to the normal dof role) and it usually involves the manager getting sacked shortly after having been undermined.

But with full support of Stam, why would it undermine him? Some guru turns up, watches 20 videos of our games, stands next to Stam in training and they bark orders together. If anything, it strengthens Stam because it shows the trust the board has in him and that directions in the future are not stupid, they’re backed by even better football brains!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Feb 2018 12:39

Let's get in Mad Dog.

Or Mick Gooding.

Or Adie Williams.

Screw that, I'd even have Tim Dellor as the consultant.

Seriously though, sometimes a new face just freshens things up and gives impetus to the players, like Mad Dog did under Parj. Stam would still have his authority.

We need a new coach anyway don't we, unless we've replaced that chap?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Feb 2018 19:31

So what you're suggesting is we get Curbishley in to assist until the end of the season?

I'm sold.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2018 19:39

Walter Downes?

What’s Dill doing these days?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Feb 2018 20:33

Pardew will be available shortly.......he could be our Spanish consultant.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 21 Feb 2018 22:43

CountryRoyal
Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal

Is there an echo in here?

Chance would be a fine thing. A fine thing indeed!

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Feb 2018 00:12

PistolPete
Snowflake Royal Never going to happen. A new coach, maybe. But bringing in someone like you describe undercuts Stam's authority, sends mixed messages and clouds the leadership at the club.

But with full support of Stam, why would it undermine him? Some guru turns up, watches 20 videos of our games, stands next to Stam in training and they bark orders together. If anything, it strengthens Stam because it shows the trust the board has in him and that directions in the future are not stupid, they’re backed by even better football brains!

It's not a bad idea but the only trouble is that Stam might think he could be hiring his successor. You'd also think that he'd have enough top contacts in former managers to be able to reach out for advice without the club needing to formally hire him a mentor.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Feb 2018 04:18

If you still hate Futcher
PistolPete

It's not a bad idea but the only trouble is that Stam might think he could be hiring his successor. You'd also think that he'd have enough top contacts in former managers to be able to reach out for advice without the club needing to formally hire him a mentor.

Don't forget - Stam has no friends in football.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 22 Feb 2018 08:35

I suppose it would provide him with someone else to blame rather than taking responsibility himself. But no, he took the job, brought in his support staff (and got rid of some in the process), he's spent millions on players and implemented his preferred playing "style". Why give him the luxury of another scapegoat?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Feb 2018 17:31

Stam comes across as too stubborn to listen to a mentor..... I'm sure Sir Alex Fergusson would forgive him and answer the phone if he could bring himself to call asking for advice, likewise his ex Man Utd team mates who have, relatively speaking, been more successful managing teams at this level..... I doubt he even asks his own assistant manager for advice.

Maybe the club could also line up mentors for Ron Gourlay and Brian Tevreden who have more experience of managing a football club and being a director of football at one....... or better still, just replace all three of them with people who can do a better job.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 22 Feb 2018 20:07

Forbury Lion Stam comes across as too stubborn to listen to a mentor..... I'm sure Sir Alex Fergusson would forgive him and answer the phone if he could bring himself to call asking for advice, likewise his ex Man Utd team mates who have, relatively speaking, been more successful managing teams at this level..... I doubt he even asks his own assistant manager for advice.

Maybe the club could also line up mentors for Ron Gourlay and Brian Tevreden who have more experience of managing a football club and being a director of football at one....... or better still, just replace all three of them with people who can do a better job.

Or we could follow the Man Utd philosophy and surround the squad with previous successful players for that team.
Bringing back ex players to coach and mentor could have a similar desired effect. Nicky shorey, Dave kitson, Marcus Hahneman, ivar ingamarsson, james harper. All ex successful players who loved playing for the club and knows what it is to play for the badge. Bring some pride back.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Feb 2018 20:10

Lovely idea, but that’s a lot of wage bills.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2018 20:59

Forbury Lion likewise his ex Man Utd team mates who have, relatively speaking, been more successful managing teams at this level.....

Stam's former Man United team mates with club management experience:

Roy Keane
Gary Neville
Ole Gunnar Solksjaer
Henning Berg
Teddy Sheringham
Jordi Cruijff

The only one who has been as successful as Stam is Keane, who achieved promotion with Sunderland ten years ago before failing at Ipswich. He didn't play with Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes. At other clubs he played with the likes of Cocu and Gattuso and under the likes of Ancelotti and Advocaat. Plus he had international team mates such as Frank de Boer.