Relegation Watch

632 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1073
Joined: 02 Nov 2008 18:56

Re: Relegation Watch

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Apr 2018 20:20

Our history of last day of the season needing to avoid relegation isn't great - I go back to 1970 and:

In 1971 we needed a point against Villa away and lost so went down to division 4.
In 1977 we went down on the last day though it was outside our hands, I think we beat Grimsby but results elsewhere went against us.
In 1983 we went down on the last day, beat Wrexham but Exeter ( I think) scored a late goal somewhere and we went down to div 4.
In 1989 we actually stayed up by winning at Chesterfield and relegating them.
In 2008 we won at Derby but still went down as Fulham won at Pompey.

The other relegations in 1998 and 2012 we were down before the last day.

User avatar
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3356
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 15:24

Re: Relegation Watch

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Apr 2018 20:31

Mid Sussex Royal wrote:Our history of last day of the season needing to avoid relegation isn't great - I go back to 1970 and:

In 1971 we needed a point against Villa away and lost so went down to division 4.
In 1977 we went down on the last day though it was outside our hands, I think we beat Grimsby but results elsewhere went against us.
In 1983 we went down on the last day, beat Wrexham but Exeter ( I think) scored a late goal somewhere and we went down to div 4.
In 1989 we actually stayed up by winning at Chesterfield and relegating them.
In 2008 we won at Derby but still went down as Fulham won at Pompey.

The other relegations in 1998 and 2012 we were down before the last day.

I don't believe we've ever been in such a favourable position in a relegation scrap before though. It would sum up our season if we limp over the line with a defeat just because 1 or more of the other 3 teams lose.

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15481
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowball » 28 Apr 2018 20:33

CountryRoyal wrote:
Snowball wrote:Just imagine 1,000 fans bet £100 at 120/1 (12,100 return) = 12,100,000 in total

That 12 Mill would help the club in League One.


We don’t have 500 fans willing to pay £30 for an away ticket so not sure where we’re going to find all these fans willing to pop in £100 for the cause. :lol:


I know. Just sayin'

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3911
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: Relegation Watch

by bcubed » 29 Apr 2018 00:47

marlowuk wrote:
bcubed wrote:
Snowball wrote:1% equates well with the 100/1 on offer at SKY

It is, of course highly likely that Sunderland and two other teams will fail more than Reading but lose to Ipswich and it might all get too real


And a loss to Ipswich is really not that unlikely

Although we are on a run of 5 home games unbeaten!

You were saying?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1693
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: Relegation Watch

by windermereROYAL » 30 Apr 2018 00:12

Not ashamed to say I had a saver bet at 9/1 after the Sheffield United debacle and I stand to make a tidy sum if we go down. I`m now stuck between a rock and a hard place, I still don`t want us to go down, it will be like backing a horse in the grand national and falling at the last while leading.
I guess this bunch of losers have given me a good run for my money. if it`s bad news I will smiling.................just.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 30 Apr 2018 14:27, edited 1 time in total.


marlowuk
Member
Posts: 819
Joined: 18 Aug 2012 16:25

Re: Relegation Watch

by marlowuk » 30 Apr 2018 01:42

Mid Sussex Royal wrote: In 2008 we won at Derby but still went down as Fulham won at Pompey.


If I recall correctly, Portsmouth were in the FA Cup Final that year and fielded virtually a reserve side against Fulham to rest their players for that final. As a result we were relegated on GD. In fact we won 0 - 4 at Derby and I think a 0 - 7 win or better would have seen us safe!!

User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 11163
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: Relegation Watch

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2018 09:10

marlowuk wrote:
Mid Sussex Royal wrote: In 2008 we won at Derby but still went down as Fulham won at Pompey.


If I recall correctly, Portsmouth were in the FA Cup Final that year and fielded virtually a reserve side against Fulham to rest their players for that final. As a result we were relegated on GD. In fact we won 0 - 4 at Derby and I think a 0 - 7 win or better would have seen us safe!!


Would have done. Isn't the old chesnut though that it was actually our defeats to Fulham that did for us, not just the defeats but late goals.

Going into injury time in both games we were losing 2-1 at the Cottage and 1-0 at home. We let in 90th minute goals in both. If we had not let those in. Fulham's GD would have been -24 and ours -23.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1047
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 10:44
Location: Y26

Re: Relegation Watch

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Apr 2018 09:25

After all the ultimatum occurrences with Fulham, it's ironic that us and them could be best friends after Saturday. If we get at least a draw whilst they beat Brum to ensure we survive and they get promotion as an award

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15481
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 11:42

Cardiff's Recent Home Form

W7 D0 L1

That's the bad news

Latest Games First

Cardiff 2-1 Forest
Cardiff 0-1 Wolves
Cardiff 3-1 Burton
Cardiff 3-2 Birmingham
Cardiff 2-1 Barnsley
Cardiff 1-0 Bristol
Cardiff 2-0 Bolton
Cardiff 4-0 Sunderland

If there is a good side, it's this:

Interesting though that all those wins have come against clubs
in the bottom five, or the horribly off-form then Forest and Bristol

Sunderland 24, Bolton 23, Burton 22, Barnsley 21, Birmingham 20

In their defeat v Wolves they missed TWO penalties in injury-time

There is absolutely no doubt that Cardiff are a better team than Reading,
and that they are flying, guaranteed top-six and guaranteed 2nd/3rd,
needing that win, any win, to guarantee automatic promotion, no doubt
that their form is excellent and our is rancid.

There's no doubt that we should be 6/1 or 7/1 to win there, 7/2 or so to draw


BUT (please God, let there be a but)

They only beat Birmingham 3-2, Barnsley 2-1, Bolton 2-0, Burton 3-1

They aren't ripping teams apart, not even bad teams, so maybe, just MAYBE,
if the first eleven actually FIGHT, they could be drawing going into the last 15
minutes, or losing by a single goal.

The fat lady has a sore throat.



Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 19060
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: https://goo.gl/maps/i8aVNAvDB872

Re: Relegation Watch

by Forbury Lion » 30 Apr 2018 13:28

Snowball wrote:
Double d v2 wrote:
Snowball wrote:Cardiff's Recent Home Form

W7 D0 L1

That's the bad news

Latest Games First

Cardiff 2-1 Forest
Cardiff 0-1 Wolves
Cardiff 3-1 Burton
Cardiff 3-2 Birmingham
Cardiff 2-1 Barnsley
Cardiff 1-0 Bristol
Cardiff 2-0 Bolton
Cardiff 4-0 Sunderland

If there is a good side, it's this:

Interesting though that all those wins have come against clubs
in the bottom five, or the horribly off-form then Forest and Bristol

Sunderland 24, Bolton 23, Burton 22, Barnsley 21, Birmingham 20

In their defeat v Wolves they missed TWO penalties in injury-time

There is absolutely no doubt that Cardiff are a better team than Reading,
and that they are flying, guaranteed top-six and guaranteed 2nd/3rd,
needing that win, any win, to guarantee automatic promotion, no doubt
that their form is excellent and our is rancid.

There's no doubt that we should be 6/1 or 7/1 to win there, 7/2 or so to draw


BUT (please God, let there be a but)

They only beat Birmingham 3-2, Barnsley 2-1, Bolton 2-0, Burton 3-1

They aren't ripping teams apart, not even bad teams, so maybe, just MAYBE,
if the first eleven actually FIGHT, they could be drawing going into the last 15
minutes, or losing by a single goal.

The fat lady has a sore throat.



god im anxious



Please don't use my real name in public (and it's capital G)
short for Godfrey?

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6930
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Relegation Watch

by Hound » 30 Apr 2018 13:49

Snowflake Royal wrote:One thing that seems almost certain, if we stay up it is likely to have oxf*rd all to do with us picking up a result and everything to do with someone else failing to.


And that is pretty much the story of the season

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6544
Joined: 20 Aug 2009 12:57

Re: Relegation Watch

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Apr 2018 14:19

Not posted on here for a good 2 years but been reading with interest. I am genuinely quite sad as to what has happened to RFC. Gave up my ST at end of 15/16 season thinking things were bad then, but my god it really has taken a turn for the worst.

Thankful that Barnsley & Burton have Derby & Preston away. Surely one of Derby & Preston will get the win.

The club just sounds rotten. Admire PC for giving the players a roasting on BBCRB. Hopefully by the time my kid is old enough to want to start going to football, RFC will be something resembling watchable. It's been 5 years of utter sh1t.

User avatar
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 20991
Joined: 06 Jul 2015 00:19
Location: JAPAN! fcuk you all.

Re: Relegation Watch

by Maneki Neko » 30 Apr 2018 14:30

didn't we get to a playoff final last year?


otherwise, agreed


MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6544
Joined: 20 Aug 2009 12:57

Re: Relegation Watch

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Apr 2018 14:38

Wasn't the football last season pretty tedious though? It certainly was in the PO final...

I am nervous for Saturday I really am. Derby are chokers & could easily screw their game up. Likewise pressure could get to Preston.

Bolton look the least likely to be up for a win but saying all that Forest have nothing to play for. How has it to come to this?!

I'm really rooting for Burton to stay up (not at our expense of course).

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19824
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Relegation Watch

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 14:41

Maneki Neko wrote:didn't we get to a playoff final last year?


otherwise, agreed


People were saying that the club was dead after 15/16, then we got to the playoffs and we "had our club back", and now the club is dead again.

I mean, we are horrendously shit this year, but the hyperbole just gets out of hand

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6544
Joined: 20 Aug 2009 12:57

Re: Relegation Watch

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Apr 2018 14:51

I'm trying to think back to the last home game I genuinely enjoyed watching & the one that springs to mind is the last game in Reading v Burnley May 2014 under Adkins when McCleary scored that wonder goal. Was it 2-2 & we needed a win?

None of the home games from the following 2 seasons are memorable!

User avatar
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 19826
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:38
Location: I like the drummer's hair

Re: Relegation Watch

by LUX » 30 Apr 2018 15:00

genome wrote: but the hyperbole just gets out of hand


+1

if I read any more hyperbole on here, my head will literally explode.

Double d v2
Member
Posts: 498
Joined: 16 Dec 2017 16:07

Re: Relegation Watch

by Double d v2 » 30 Apr 2018 15:06

MmmMonsterMunch wrote:Wasn't the football last season pretty tedious though? It certainly was in the PO final...

I am nervous for Saturday I really am. Derby are chokers & could easily screw their game up. Likewise pressure could get to Preston.

Bolton look the least likely to be up for a win but saying all that Forest have nothing to play for. How has it to come to this?!

I'm really rooting for Burton to stay up (not at our expense of course).


Last season was tedious.

This season has been just atrocious. It will be amazing if we stay up, and only due to other teams somehow being even more shit.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1051
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Relegation Watch

by muirinho » 30 Apr 2018 15:09

MmmMonsterMunch wrote:I'm trying to think back to the last home game I genuinely enjoyed watching & the one that springs to mind is the last game in Reading v Burnley May 2014 under Adkins when McCleary scored that wonder goal. Was it 2-2 & we needed a win?

None of the home games from the following 2 seasons are memorable!



So - not the win over West Brom in the FA Cup in 2016? Or the 4-0 over Walsall in the previous round?
Not the 5-1 over Ipswich in 2015?
Not the win over Villa early this season?

Zilch?

Maybe you should consider another hobby....

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19824
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Relegation Watch

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 15:16

muirinho wrote:
MmmMonsterMunch wrote:I'm trying to think back to the last home game I genuinely enjoyed watching & the one that springs to mind is the last game in Reading v Burnley May 2014 under Adkins when McCleary scored that wonder goal. Was it 2-2 & we needed a win?

None of the home games from the following 2 seasons are memorable!



So - not the win over West Brom in the FA Cup in 2016? Or the 4-0 over Walsall in the previous round?
Not the 5-1 over Ipswich in 2015?
Not the win over Villa early this season?

Zilch?

Maybe you should consider another hobby....


Reading 3 Brentford 2 was a cracking game last year. Even the 1-0 win against QPR this season was pretty memorable.

632 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests

It is currently 20 Oct 2018 00:20