Relegation Watch

632 posts
double d

Re: Relegation Watch

by double d » 20 Apr 2018 10:36

genome
Hound I like the idea of Millwall beating them in a play off semi. Even if it was just for make Leon happy

Big match tonight. Rooting for Millwall, actually. Never thought I'd say that.

Plus 2 (me and mrs dd)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2018 10:37

Mr Optimist It's a bit like choosing between losing your sight or your genitals. Seeing Colin's gurning face milking the applause on the pitch in Cardiff, or watching the cottagers (lol) in the neutral end gently applauding their fantastically talented team of future megastars returning to their "rightful place".

Nightmare scenario is a Colin smugfest and a Fulham play off win, but at least that would mean Villa in deep do do.

no real feelings on Villa, but did like the atmosphere their fans helped create at our home game. Better than 500 from Cardiff or the Fulham ultras

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Apr 2018 10:42

Old Man Andrews
Hound tbh, thoroughly bored of Fulham and their team of superstars. But then it is about as good a derby as we get nowadays

Actually have no real preference either way. Maybe just slightly prefer Cardiff as the thought of Fulham messing up the play offs again is quite a nice one

Would love to see Fulham bottle it again personally. Piazon won't be chirping up then will he?

Yeh, this. Not that he'll be playing for them even if they do go up.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Apr 2018 11:05

Mr Optimist It's a bit like choosing between losing your sight or your genitals. Seeing Colin's gurning face milking the applause on the pitch in Cardiff, or watching the cottagers (lol) in the neutral end gently applauding their fantastically talented team of future megastars returning to their "rightful place".

Nightmare scenario is a Colin smugfest and a Fulham play off win, but at least that would mean Villa in deep do do.

I have decided that the worst possible outcome of this season is (a) we get relegated, and (b) Cardiff and Fulham get promoted.

Absolute worst.

Stocking up on the wine right now, I'll need to be prepared.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2018 11:10

No beef with Fulham at all, the only reason I'd want them not to go up is because it takes a great away day off the board, but I'm pretty sure I can go to London whenever I like without it.

No real beef with Cardiff* but seeing Colin's smug face all over SSN for longer than they cover Man City winning the Prem would really grind my gears. It would be fantastic seeing them lose the playoff final to Millwall.

From our point of view Fulham winning the next 2 games and Cardiff losing theirs would be cracking

*Other than not being keen to have foreign teams in the English league

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Apr 2018 11:29

Meanwhile back in the world of Relegation Watch, after Reading's result (and quite possible loss) at Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow I think that the next most important result needed is for Birmingham to lose, then for Bolton slide to a defeat and finally for Barnsley to crash and burn.

As to Sunderland v Burton, a draw there would be ideal as it cocks up both teams but leaves Burton still with a glimmer to take into their Bolton game next week.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2018 12:31

Don't want it to go to the last day.
I still haven't got over that day when we were 4-0 up at Derby and Wembley-bound Pompey contrived to lose 1-0 at home to Fulham.
The daft thing is that in our game both sides just played out time in the second half when IIRC an 8-0 (not beyond the realms of possibility as Derby were that bad) would have kept us up.
Let's just get a point tomorrow and 1 or more next Saturday and that should be enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2018 13:22

I've had enough of the whole relegation thing now tbh. Given a bit of interest to the end of the season, but really want to put it all to bed with a win tomorrow. Hopefully we can do so

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Apr 2018 13:29

[quote="Silver Fox"]No beef with Fulham at all,/quote]

snap.

OK we don't live nearby like Leon does, but there are far worse clubs/supporters than them.

Fulham and Brentford are prolly my favourite other clubs in the division. It's not a local thing, 'cos I cannot stand Oxford, Swindon, QPR, Portsmouth.....It's probably because we have never really been rivals in any sense.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2018 17:16

I just like that North Royal Lad has decided my claim of being in the same school year as the Cardiff keeper is obviously too far-fetched to be true.

Of all the professional players I could have lied about a link to and I chose the Cardiff keeper, hell, someone already put that he went to Court Moor School in Fleet on there, I'm probably not the only Reading fan out there that went to that school.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2018 19:56

Victor Meldrew Don't want it to go to the last day.
I still haven't got over that day when we were 4-0 up at Derby and Wembley-bound Pompey contrived to lose 1-0 at home to Fulham.
The daft thing is that in our game both sides just played out time in the second half when IIRC an 8-0 (not beyond the realms of possibility as Derby were that bad) would have kept us up.
Let's just get a point tomorrow and 1 or more next Saturday and that should be enough.
Given we were one nil up at HT and scored three second half goals, including one in the 90th minute, that's obvious nonsense.

And yes, I was there.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 21 Apr 2018 17:20

Reading 43 (-18)
Ipswich
Cardiff (A)

Birmingham 43 (-30)
QPR (A)
Fulham

Bolton 40 (-34)
Burton (A)
Forest

Barnsley 38 (-20)
Forest (A)
Brentford
Derby (A)

Burton 38 (-44)
Bolton
Preston (A)

Sunderland 34 (-30) R
Fulham (A)
Wolves

A point or three against Ipswich would be bloody handy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2018 17:56

Snowflake Royal 7/9 points required for guaranteed safety, down a solid three from 10 pre-game thanks to draws for us, Barnsley and Bolton.

Ticking down the tally slowly but surely.

4/6 required... those other teams just keep letting us off the hook. And realistically, it's only 3 points because Bolton's GD is so far worse than ours it's just not really recoverable.

We're determined to keep this season going to the final game aren't we.

A draw against Ipswich could do it for us, hell the way it's gone so far, we could lose both games 3-0 and still stay up! I really hope it's Barnsley that drop, not us or Bolton though.

double d

by double d » 21 Apr 2018 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Snowflake Royal 7/9 points required for guaranteed safety, down a solid three from 10 pre-game thanks to draws for us, Barnsley and Bolton.

4/6 required... those other teams just keep letting us off the hook. And realistically, it's only 3 points because Bolton's GD is so far worse than ours it's just not really recoverable.

A draw against Ipswich could do it for us, hell the way it's gone so far, we could lose both games 3-0 and still stay up! I really hope it's Barnsley that drop, not us or Bolton though.

I need to go hospital and check for aids. I think i agree with you for once!!!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2018 18:00

Snowflake Royal

To confirm, if Burton v Bolton ends up as a draw next Saturday then Reading will just need to avoid defeat to Ipswich to survive due to Bolton’s shocking goal difference.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Apr 2018 18:03

Next Saturday really is the biggie for us. I’m presuming we’ll lose to Cardiff whatever happens before

If we could still go down this time next week (realistically not with a 15 goal swing etc) then there’s a good chance we will do

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2018 18:09

Hound Next Saturday really is the biggie for us. I’m presuming we’ll lose to Cardiff whatever happens before

If we could still go down this time next week (realistically not with a 15 goal swing etc) then there’s a good chance we will do

Note also that while everyone bangs on about goal difference it won’t work with Barnsley as they are only 2 goals worse off which would have been very likely wiped out for them to be in a position to be level with Reading.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Apr 2018 18:18

Snowflake Royal We're determined to keep this season going to the final game aren't we.

Yep, it would seem that way. One point from our last 3 games...and we only got that with a late equalizer, at home, against the team that is bottom, and who got relegated today. Worrying times for sure, even if we stay up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Apr 2018 18:19

Two questions

1 should Reading win next week, who is on the pitch?
2 should Reading lose or draw and/or results go against them, who is staying to applaud the players on their lap of appreciation?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2018 18:20

Sutekh Two questions

1 should Reading win next week, who is on the pitch?
2 should Reading lose or draw and/or results go against them, who is staying to applaud the players on their lap of appreciation?

1) Not me.
2) Me

632 posts