Relegation Watch

632 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Relegation Watch

by strap » 18 Feb 2018 13:26

Dare I start this thread and tempt fate? Oh well, it's done now.

Done a quick review of the LCh table after c.32 games and the final table for the last 10 seasons.

This suggests we might escape the drop with 45-47 points, effectively if we maintain our current PPG of 1.03 we'll do just enough to survive.

Flame away ....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation Watch

by CountryRoyal » 18 Feb 2018 13:56

I just had a terrible thought

Do you think even our fanbase is twatty enough to have a pitch invasion if we narrowly avoid relegation? :shock:

Send us straight to League One now if so.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Feb 2018 14:10

CountryRoyal I just had a terrible thought

Do you think even our fanbase is twatty enough to have a pitch invasion if we narrowly avoid relegation? :shock:

Much better reason for a pitch invasion than finishing 7th. I'll be there (maybe)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2018 14:47

CountryRoyal I just had a terrible thought

Nah, they'd have to turn up and stay to the final whistle.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Feb 2018 15:23

Loving all the RFC fan hate.

Seriously we let the players get away with being shit because it’s our fault right?

This is passive victimhood at its finest.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 18 Feb 2018 15:53

leon Loving all the RFC fan hate.

Seriously we let the players get away with being shit because it’s our fault right?

Couldn't agree more, surely the fan haters and critics can't have it both ways, "way too quiet" and totally disruptive and able to destroy the confidence and ability of 2 dozen grown men!
Leave off!

russyb

by russyb » 18 Feb 2018 16:08

Can I be the one that cries on telly this year :P

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2018 16:12

Yep we are to blame for the dire performances on the pitch rather than the highly well paid professionals. It’s because we don’t constantly cheer the boys on as they pass the ball around inside our own half without ever looking like scoring. We are the ones to blame when they give away another really soft goal because we should be willing them on at all times.

Frankly the players are lucky they aren’t playing at clubs where the fanbase really can be vitriolic. They need to collectively grow a pair.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 18 Feb 2018 16:32

Yeah Zip! you and people like you, (and me then as it happens) are utter, utter, bullying bastards, who are destroying the moral fibre of an entire squad. Perhaps we should kiss and make up or would that be contrued as sexual harassment by the precious princesses?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2018 21:41

Spectacularly missing the point the lot of you.

No one said everything is the fan's fault. They've said the fans aren't helping and are in fact contributing to the problem. The fans have little influence of what happens on the pitch, but what little influence they have can sometimes tip the balance a little.

It goes without saying the players and staff are performing badly. For the most part they are trying though. I'm not sure I can say the same for a lot of the fans, a vocal minority of whom seem to have had the knives out for Stam and the team since about game 7. The general atmosphere has been one of sulking in wait of entertainment and a quick turn to grumbling if things don't look good. We've started some games ok, but that usually peters out about 10 minutes in.

I'm not saying it's easy to back a team playing so insipidly. Put excitement in front of our lot and they can certainly make some noise under the right circumstances. But sometimes they need to try to take the initiative and inspire the players rather than vice versa. Especially when it's clear the players are struggling and things are going badly.

When you're at the bottom of the table, the fans getting behind the team loudly and positively could inspire a lift in performance to earn a draw, and one point could make the difference at the end of the season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Feb 2018 23:14

Zip

Yep we are to blame for the dire performances on the pitch rather than the highly well paid professionals. It’s because we don’t constantly cheer the boys on as they pass the ball around inside our own half without ever looking like scoring. We are the ones to blame when they give away another really soft goal because we should be willing them on at all times.

Frankly the players are lucky they aren’t playing at clubs where the fanbase really can be vitriolic. They need to collectively grow a pair.

Strawmanning a bit there, guys.

Noone has said it's the fans fault, not even Stam, despite the fact some people seem to think he has said that...

It's not the fans fault, they are just not helping the situation.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Feb 2018 23:34

genome
Zip

Strawmanning a bit there, guys.

Noone has said it's the fans fault, not even Stam, despite the fact some people seem to think he has said that...

It's not the fans fault, they are just not helping the situation.

Take a look Genome - this place is awash with constant criticism of the fans. It’s pathetic.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Feb 2018 07:34

And rightly so, the fans have not been helpful. :|

But it's also been awash with constant criticism of Stam, Gourlay, Tevreden, and the players. Anyone solely blaming the fans is an idiot, but I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Feb 2018 08:49

I don't think anybody has "spectacularly missed the point" but thanks for your superior analysis Snowflake, good to know somebody knows what everybody else should do! I shall look out for your positive lead and hope you succeed. Meantime perhaps the professional, well paid, carefully selected, properly motivated and organised players can, "suck it up and turn the tables, by fulfilling some of the promise that put them in the team in the first place"!
Who knows maybe the popular support may respond positively.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Feb 2018 09:37

Utterly pointless thread. We will be a long way off relegation this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Feb 2018 09:46

Reading fans are what they are. No one is going to change the demographic of the area

The best way for the club to fill the stadium is to attract families etc and plan longer term

No real point moaning about it

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Feb 2018 10:00

This!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 19 Feb 2018 15:35

Snowflake Royal I'm not sure I can say the same for a lot of the fans, a vocal minority of whom seem to have had the knives out for Stam and the team since he was given the manager's job.

Corrected for you..

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Feb 2018 15:52

Heart, passion and effort = fans giving a toss and making noise and being positive. The football experience is not always the result, its watching your team giving a shit about the performance they put in. Once I see the players doing this it makes it so much easier to be positive and be loud, which in effect could spur them on to do better. What we are experiencing is the opposite.
Either the fans as a collective spurs on the players or the players do. But as the players are the ones on large salaries, I vote they put the effort in and stop being little babies and grow a pair.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Feb 2018 16:15

leon Take a look Genome - this place is awash with constant criticism of the fans. It’s pathetic.

Agree. Completely pathetic to criticise our fans on a message board. They've paid their money and should be allowed to complain about anything that spoils their experience without being attacked by keyboard warriors.

632 posts