Relegation Watch

632 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation Watch

by windermereROYAL » 20 Feb 2018 14:49

Snowball
Hound Would have to say it all looks in our favour tonight. A defeat would be pretty crushing tbh

Lose tonight and it will feel like it's all over

I used to take you as one the intelligent posters on here, but this is just ... :roll:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Feb 2018 15:11

The team must be well up for tonight as we haven't played for 10 days, considering the troubles of Forest are in, they must be thinking a performance later, we would be in a shout of picking up some valuable points. A loss would be a big punch to the balls, heads will be further down and confidence will be a rock bottom. No excuses tonight lads. Every other team around us look to be fighting to stay in this division, lets see Reading do it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2018 18:20

Snowball
windermereROYAL
Silver Fox
That's a tough fixture list for Bolton :shock: :wink: I think I concur with your thinking though

I say let`s try and isolate the bottom 2 so lets have us to win (obviously) and Sunderland and Burton to get beat.

IF we win (and I think we will, comfortably) I'd like to see

Boro beat Hull

Brentford beating Birmingham

Burton & Barnsley 0-0

Bolton & Sunderland 0-0

That would be three more points clear of two teams and two more points clear of four

rare agreed. A point doesn't do Sunderland or Burton much good, while dropping two keeps Bolton and Barnsley nervous and in the mix

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Feb 2018 23:18

John Smith I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we will win the game tonight.

Oh

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Feb 2018 23:32

John Smith
Hound
John Smith Plot lost.

We can lose another 6 games this season and still be comfortable.

of course, which is why it isnt a 'must-win' or anything

however, this really is on paper as winnable a game as we are going to get. And I think even you would agree with that.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we will win the game tonight.

Please may I visit you on Planet Utopia? I WILL bring booze!! :wink:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Feb 2018 23:36

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
windermereROYAL
I say let`s try and isolate the bottom 2 so lets have us to win (obviously) and Sunderland and Burton to get beat.

Boro beat Hull

Burton & Barnsley 0-0

Bolton & Sunderland 0-0

That would be three more points clear of two teams and two more points clear of four

rare agreed. A point doesn't do Sunderland or Burton much good, while dropping two keeps Bolton and Barnsley nervous and in the mix

Yes, but we are still no better off than we were yesterday, after a distinctly winnable game (on paper).

Do you really think we will get much from Derby and Sheff U at home and Wolves away? Maybe if we are really lucky we might get a point v Sheff U, so that'll be 2 points from 4 games incl tonight. I do worry about the undue optimism on here sometimes. I do wish I could share it, but sadly too long the tooth now to believe anything but the worst (= realistic).

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Feb 2018 00:12

John Smith
Hound
John Smith Plot lost.

We can lose another 6 games this season and still be comfortable.

however, this really is on paper as winnable a game as we are going to get. And I think even you would agree with that.

I'm sure this was a bit tongue in cheek but (seriously) what was the basis for such optimism?
Or was it just wishful thinking?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Feb 2018 01:00

strap
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

Boro beat Hull

Burton & Barnsley 0-0

Bolton & Sunderland 0-0

rare agreed. A point doesn't do Sunderland or Burton much good , while dropping two keeps Bolton and Barnsley nervous and in the mix

Yes, but we are still no better off than we were yesterday.

Actually, yes we are. (Check our odds, tho). And yes, I do actually know our schedule, but thx.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2018 07:47

strap
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

Boro beat Hull

Burton & Barnsley 0-0

Bolton & Sunderland 0-0

Yes, but we are still no better off than we were yesterday, after a distinctly winnable game (on paper).

Do you really think we will get much from Derby and Sheff U at home and Wolves away? Maybe if we are really lucky we might get a point v Sheff U, so that'll be 2 points from 4 games incl tonight. I do worry about the undue optimism on here sometimes. I do wish I could share it, but sadly too long the tooth now to believe anything but the worst (= realistic).

No better off? We've got an extra point and goal scored and with one fewer game left we're no closer to relegation.

Holding place is perfectly good enough for us. WE don't have to overtake anyone.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2018 09:20

The last two batches of matches have been very very good for Reading
and to say otherwise is bonkers.

P2 W1 D1 L0 2-1 4 Points Burton (beating a relegation contender)
P2 W1 D0 L1 1-2 3 Points Bolton (beating a relegation contender)

P2 W0 D2 L0 1-1 2 Points Forest

P1 W0 D0 L1 1-3 0 Points Hull
P1 W0 D0 L1 1-2 0 Points Barnsley
P2 W0 D0 L2 0-3 0 Points Sunderland
P2 W0 D0 L2 0-6 0 Points Birmingham

So we have played a game less but moved a point and GD away from FOUR clubs,
more or less stayed with another (Forest, one point worse off)

While our results have been poor, we have points in the bag and the other teams need
a huge reversal in form for us to finish in the bottom three

Sat 17 Feb

Birmingham lost 0-1
Bolton lost 2-0
Sunderland lost 0-2
Burton and Forest dropped two points each in a 0-0 draw

We didn't play but our odds to stay up improved

Tuesday 20th Feb

Barnsley lost *
Birmingham lost 5-0
Hull lost 3-1
Sunderland lost 1-0*

Burton's away win is a tiny negative but they are coming from way back
Bolton stopped the rot
Last edited by Snowball on 21 Feb 2018 09:38, edited 2 times in total.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Feb 2018 09:22

Snowflake Royal No better off? We've got an extra point and goal scored and with one fewer game left we're no closer to relegation.

Holding place is perfectly good enough for us. WE don't have to overtake anyone.

We are no better off in that we are still only 4 points above the drop zone. I'm guessing you mean that as we have played another game that we are therefore safer than before the game as the sides below us have 1 less game to catch up? I suppose it has a certain logic to it in isolation, but it doesn't feel a safer position to me.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2018 09:36

strap
Snowflake Royal No better off? We've got an extra point and goal scored and with one fewer game left we're no closer to relegation.

We are no better off in that we are still only 4 points above the drop zone. I'm guessing you mean that as we have played another game that we are therefore safer than before the game as the sides below us have 1 less game to catch up? I suppose it has a certain logic to it in isolation, but it doesn't feel a safer position to me.

We have done that playing one game less than the others.
The other teams have fewer games in which to catch us
two of the teams have been hurt GD wise

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Feb 2018 09:45

obvs all that makes it more frustrating we didn't hold out last night. 6 points clear + better GD + an additional game in hand over most of them would have raised my confidence massively.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2018 09:58

Hound obvs all that makes it more frustrating we didn't hold out last night. 6 points clear + better GD + an additional game in hand over most of them would have raised my confidence massively.

Well exactly - which is why some of the high fiving about throwing away 2 points with 5 mins to go, against a team as bad as us is somewhat worrying.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 Feb 2018 10:03

Snowflake Royal Spectacularly missing the point the lot of you.

No one said everything is the fan's fault. They've said the fans aren't helping and are in fact contributing to the problem. The fans have little influence of what happens on the pitch, but what little influence they have can sometimes tip the balance a little.

It goes without saying the players and staff are performing badly. For the most part they are trying though. I'm not sure I can say the same for a lot of the fans, a vocal minority of whom seem to have had the knives out for Stam and the team since about game 7. The general atmosphere has been one of sulking in wait of entertainment and a quick turn to grumbling if things don't look good. We've started some games ok, but that usually peters out about 10 minutes in.

I'm not saying it's easy to back a team playing so insipidly. Put excitement in front of our lot and they can certainly make some noise under the right circumstances. But sometimes they need to try to take the initiative and inspire the players rather than vice versa. Especially when it's clear the players are struggling and things are going badly.

When you're at the bottom of the table, the fans getting behind the team loudly and positively could inspire a lift in performance to earn a draw, and one point could make the difference at the end of the season.

You've contradicted yourself about 5 times there Ian. If the fans have such little influence how come Stam dedicates the amount of interviews he does to blaming them? The guys a joke looking for a scapegoat.

if we have such little influence why even mention it.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Feb 2018 10:07

bcubed
John Smith
Hound

I'm sure this was a bit tongue in cheek but (seriously) what was the basis for such optimism?

Not tongue in cheek at all - the basis for my very near perfect prediction was that Nottingham Forest are total dross.

However, I must stress this again: there are some awful, awful teams in this league - importantly at least 3 more worse than us* which is why we will not be relegated.

*Namely Hull City - absolutely shocking with the worst manager in world football in charge. The fact they won at Forest at the weekend was 'the basis for my optimism'.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2018 10:17

John Smith
bcubed
John Smith I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we will win the game tonight.

Not tongue in cheek at all - the basis for my very near perfect prediction was that Nottingham Forest are total dross.

However, I must stress this again: there are some awful, awful teams in this league - importantly at least 3 more worse than us* which is why we will not be relegated.

*Namely Hull City - absolutely shocking with the worst manager in world football in charge. The fact they won at Forest at the weekend was 'the basis for my optimism'.

Right, so Hull are absolutely shocking with the worst manager in world football and they beat Forest. We manage a decent half and get smashed second half by Forest.......

So we're worse than Hull.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Feb 2018 10:19

leon
John Smith
bcubed

Right, so Hull are absolutely shocking with the worst manager in world football and they beat Forest. We manage a decent half and get smashed second half by Forest.......

If you're going to be facetious Leon, then by the same token Wigan Athletic are the best team in the world.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2018 10:25

John Smith
leon
John Smith Not tongue in cheek at all - the basis for my very near perfect prediction was that Nottingham Forest are total dross.

If you're going to be facetious Leon, then by the same token Wigan Athletic are the best team in the world.

I'm querying your somewhat shit logic.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Feb 2018 10:28

leon I'm querying your somewhat shit logic.

Where do you see us finishing this season?

632 posts