Relegation Watch

632 posts
Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation Watch

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Apr 2018 15:18

Mid Sussex Royal In 1989 we actually stayed up by winning at Chesterfield and relegating them.
In 2008 we won at Derby but still went down as Fulham won at Pompey.

So, will it be this:

or this

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 30 Apr 2018 15:27

MmmMonsterMunch Thankful that Barnsley & Burton have Derby & Preston away. Surely one of Derby & Preston will get the win.

We only need one of them to get a draw!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Apr 2018 15:44

marlowuk
MmmMonsterMunch Thankful that Barnsley & Burton have Derby & Preston away. Surely one of Derby & Preston will get the win.

We only need one of them to get a draw!

They both need to win get get above us, providing we lose.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Apr 2018 16:06

Q: Why do Bolton desperately hope we do not go down?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 16:07

MmmMonsterMunch Not posted on here for a good 2 years but been reading with interest. I am genuinely quite sad as to what has happened to RFC. Gave up my ST at end of 15/16 season thinking things were bad then, but my god it really has taken a turn for the worst.

Thankful that Barnsley & Burton have Derby & Preston away. Surely one of Derby & Preston will get the win.

The club just sounds rotten. Admire PC for giving the players a roasting on BBCRB. Hopefully by the time my kid is old enough to want to start going to football, RFC will be something resembling watchable. It's been 5 years of utter sh1t.

If they DRAW it keeps us up

(Yet I still feel sick...)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 16:07

Snowball
MmmMonsterMunch Not posted on here for a good 2 years but been reading with interest. I am genuinely quite sad as to what has happened to RFC. Gave up my ST at end of 15/16 season thinking things were bad then, but my god it really has taken a turn for the worst.

Thankful that Barnsley & Burton have Derby & Preston away. Surely one of Derby & Preston will get the win.

The club just sounds rotten. Admire PC for giving the players a roasting on BBCRB. Hopefully by the time my kid is old enough to want to start going to football, RFC will be something resembling watchable. It's been 5 years of utter sh1t.

If they DRAW it keeps us up

(Yet I still feel sick...)

Pardon me. Shoulda read ahead

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Apr 2018 16:10

LUX Q: Why do Bolton desperately hope we do not go down?

A: because if we go down, that means they 100% are down too.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 16:19

genome
Maneki Neko didn't we get to a playoff final last year?

otherwise, agreed

People were saying that the club was dead after 15/16, then we got to the playoffs and we "had our club back", and now the club is dead again.

I mean, we are horrendously shit this year, but the hyperbole just gets out of hand

It isn't as simple as that

In the last four seasons we have had three finishes on the edge of relegation,
and though we (somehow) made third last season the football was awful,
the majority were not enjoying things, and we definitely were not "entertained"

We have had crazy owner-changes, managerial changes, style-changes, a raft
of silly signings. Pog on about ten million a week.

Surely there are very few who could disagree that "The Reading Way", the high-tempo
stuff under Coppell/McDermott etc, the backs-to-the-wall amazing wins under McDermott
is long-gone history and it FEELS LIKE that "real football" is gone forever.

I have only been watching Reading since 2005, but the poorer years were still often
filled with exciting games. The season after relegation from the Premier, even tho'
we lost to Burnley in the POs, we were still getting 5-0 wins, seeing lots of attacking
play.

So the "hyperbole" is not merely because of THIS SEASON. It's a slow descent from being
a major force at this level, a team renowned for high-tempo "old fashioned" up-and-at-em
football, once with a highly visible Chairmen, now owned and run by shadows

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 16:25

Overly dramatic nonsense

Things happens in waves. We had the best decade in the club's history from 2002/3 to 2012/3, the law of averages states it can't always be rosy, so we've had a few dodgy ones since then (and people only started complaining about 2016/17 when things turned sour the season after). The game evolves and the club has to evolve with it.

We've had a shit season, we might even go down, but things will pick up. People need to relax.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 16:38

genome Overly dramatic nonsense

Things happens in waves. We had the best decade in the club's history from 2002/3 to 2012/3, the law of averages states it can't always be rosy, so we've had a few dodgy ones since then (and people only started complaining about 2016/17 when things turned sour the season after). The game evolves and the club has to evolve with it.

We've had a shit season, we might even go down, but things will pick up. People need to relax.

Have to disagree. If we were looking from outside we might well be calling RFC a basket case.

Lots of relegation or relegation-threatened clubs can still play
decent football, and create chances etc.

I suspect we are probably bottom of the league in chances created.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 16:42

Snowball

Have to disagree. If we were looking from outside we might well be calling RFC a basket case.

Sunderland are a basket case. But if I was to suggest to you that things will eventually pick up for them and they'll probably make their way up again in a few seasons, would you disagree?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 16:44

genome
Snowball

Sunderland are a basket case. But if I was to suggest to you that things will eventually pick up for them and they'll probably make their way up again in a few seasons, would you disagree?

The owner has just given the club away to the guy from Eastleigh
who is clearing all their debts.

So, yes, they will probably come straight back up, waving to RFC
as we go the other way

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Apr 2018 16:52

Exactly. Some light at the end of the tunnel after what seemed like a hopeless situation for the supporters.

You can't predict the future, stressing over things that haven't happened yet is just a waste of your mental health.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2018 17:27

With all due respect, people complained about last season the whole way through and it was a running joke that we were in a false position. A point it's now hard to argue with.

Even if last season was genuinely good and exciting (good and successful not necessarily being the same thing) the trend is still lacklustre overpaid underperforming shirkers narrowly avoiding relegation.

The club has very clearly been on a trend of deteriorating mismanagement since Anton took over and as of yet, I've not seen anything that suggests anything other than the occasional successful blip.

I genuinely think our squad is in worse shape than its been in since Burns was in charge. Individually players may be better than a lot we've had since then, but football isn't played individually.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2018 17:29

Double d v2 This season has been just atrocious. It will be amazing if we stay up, and only due to other teams somehow being even more shit.

You do know that's exactly how a league works don't you?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Apr 2018 17:47

Snowflake Royal People complained about last season the whole way through and it was a running joke that we were in a false position. A point it's now hard to argue with. The trend is still lacklustre overpaid underperforming shirkers

So, would this mean that last season's team...and manager in his rookie season...bucked the 'trend'...and actually deserve enormous credit for doing what they did...and for actually OVER-ACHIEVING...and yet despite that, 'people complained the whole way through it'...and 8 games in to this season the In/Out polls were started? Just trying to follow the narrative here :wink:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Apr 2018 17:57

Snowball
genome

otherwise, agreed

People were saying that the club was dead after 15/16, then we got to the playoffs and we "had our club back", and now the club is dead again.

I mean, we are horrendously shit this year, but the hyperbole just gets out of hand

Surely there are very few who could disagree that "The Reading Way", the high-tempo
stuff under Coppell/McDermott etc, the backs-to-the-wall amazing wins under McDermott

I have only been watching Reading since 2005, but the poorer years were still often
filled with exciting games. The season after relegation from the Premier, even tho'
we lost to Burnley in the POs, we were still getting 5-0 wins, seeing lots of attacking
play.

So the "hyperbole" is not merely because of THIS SEASON. It's a slow descent from being
a major force at this level, a team renowned for high-tempo "old fashioned" up-and-at-em
Snowball
genome

otherwise, agreed

play.

Yes this is exactly how I feel about RFC. Totally agree & worded better than I would have! But as others have said, these things go in cycles. I just hope this is our relative 'rock bottom' and things get better as the last 5 years have been overwhelmingly rubbish for the most part. I'll be ab;e to start going again in 4-5 years so they've got time to sort it :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2018 17:59

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal People complained about last season the whole way through and it was a running joke that we were in a false position. A point it's now hard to argue with. The trend is still lacklustre overpaid underperforming shirkers

So, would this mean that last season's team...and manager in his rookie season...bucked the 'trend'...and actually deserve enormous credit for doing what they did...and for actually OVER-ACHIEVING...and yet despite that, 'people complained the whole way through it'...and 8 games in to this season the In/Out polls were started? Just trying to follow the narrative here :wink:

It's looking hard to argue with the expected goal predictions that we bucked last year. I don't generally believe luck can make more than a few points difference and one or two places over a season. But it's hard to argue if we ran last season 10 times we'd finish in the top 6 more than once given what's gone before and after.

Of course it was not right to talk about relegation and sacking in October. But neither is it right to pretend that this season is anything other than thoroughly deserved nor that last season was anything other than a big surprise.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 20:10

genome Exactly. Some light at the end of the tunnel after what seemed like a hopeless situation for the supporters.

You can't predict the future, stressing over things that haven't happened yet is just a waste of your mental health.

Coventry

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2018 20:17

Snowball
genome Exactly. Some light at the end of the tunnel after what seemed like a hopeless situation for the supporters.

Coventry

Portsmouth, Coventry, Luton, and to some extent Wigan, Blackburn

OTHERS?

632 posts