Relegation Watch

632 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1141
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: Relegation Watch

by Zip » 19 Feb 2018 22:04

genome wrote:
Zip wrote:
leon wrote:Loving all the RFC fan hate.

Seriously we let the players get away with being shit because it’s our fault right?

This is passive victimhood at its finest.


Yep we are to blame for the dire performances on the pitch rather than the highly well paid professionals. It’s because we don’t constantly cheer the boys on as they pass the ball around inside our own half without ever looking like scoring. We are the ones to blame when they give away another really soft goal because we should be willing them on at all times.

Frankly the players are lucky they aren’t playing at clubs where the fanbase really can be vitriolic. They need to collectively grow a pair.


Strawmanning a bit there, guys.

Noone has said it's the fans fault, not even Stam, despite the fact some people seem to think he has said that...

It's not the fans fault, they are just not helping the situation.



Do you think any fan base in the country would be different? We haven’t won at home on a Saturday all season. This could be our worst ever season at home in our entire history. Which other clubs would you say would have fans that would react more positively than we have?

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3181
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Feb 2018 22:32

Zip wrote:
genome wrote:
Zip wrote:
Yep we are to blame for the dire performances on the pitch rather than the highly well paid professionals. It’s because we don’t constantly cheer the boys on as they pass the ball around inside our own half without ever looking like scoring. We are the ones to blame when they give away another really soft goal because we should be willing them on at all times.

Frankly the players are lucky they aren’t playing at clubs where the fanbase really can be vitriolic. They need to collectively grow a pair.


Strawmanning a bit there, guys.

Noone has said it's the fans fault, not even Stam, despite the fact some people seem to think he has said that...

It's not the fans fault, they are just not helping the situation.



Do you think any fan base in the country would be different? We haven’t won at home on a Saturday all season. This could be our worst ever season at home in our entire history. Which other clubs would you say would have fans that would react more positively than we have?

Our fans haven't reacted positively. They just haven't reacted aggressively. Just because other clubs would have fans collectively baying for a sacking sooner at the ground, doesn't make sitting sulking and occasionally shouting something abusive as individuals better. Because there are clubs who would have actually been loud and behind the team to start with, which might have helped prevent it getting to this stage in the first place.

A couple of fan inspired turn arounds early on could have seen a very different season. We're so passive and sulky.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17251
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: Relegation Watch

by leon » 19 Feb 2018 23:04

Blah blah blah all our fans are mongs blah blah blah.

The football has been utterly shit. However we should be doobg a 2000 man conga in the stands.

Rejoice. Hallelujah. Rejoice.

We are reborn.

Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1141
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: Relegation Watch

by Zip » 19 Feb 2018 23:38

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Zip wrote:
genome wrote:
Strawmanning a bit there, guys.

Noone has said it's the fans fault, not even Stam, despite the fact some people seem to think he has said that...

It's not the fans fault, they are just not helping the situation.



Do you think any fan base in the country would be different? We haven’t won at home on a Saturday all season. This could be our worst ever season at home in our entire history. Which other clubs would you say would have fans that would react more positively than we have?

Our fans haven't reacted positively. They just haven't reacted aggressively. Just because other clubs would have fans collectively baying for a sacking sooner at the ground, doesn't make sitting sulking and occasionally shouting something abusive as individuals better. Because there are clubs who would have actually been loud and behind the team to start with, which might have helped prevent it getting to this stage in the first place.

A couple of fan inspired turn arounds early on could have seen a very different season. We're so passive and sulky.


Our laboured style of play makes it very difficult to really get behind the team though. If nothing is happening on the pitch fans are going to be quiet.

Add our dreadful record under Stam of almost always losing once we fall behind and it’s hardly surprising we are so quiet. How often do we score early on in a game at home? It’s very rare. It’s not just about wanting to see the team win. We also want to be entertained. The entertainment on show has been dismal this season. I do not believe other fan bases would be any different.

Eaststandman
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1217
Joined: 23 Jan 2012 10:50

Re: Relegation Watch

by Eaststandman » 19 Feb 2018 23:40

Snowflake, NSIS?


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3181
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2018 08:40

Zip wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Zip wrote:

Do you think any fan base in the country would be different? We haven’t won at home on a Saturday all season. This could be our worst ever season at home in our entire history. Which other clubs would you say would have fans that would react more positively than we have?

Our fans haven't reacted positively. They just haven't reacted aggressively. Just because other clubs would have fans collectively baying for a sacking sooner at the ground, doesn't make sitting sulking and occasionally shouting something abusive as individuals better. Because there are clubs who would have actually been loud and behind the team to start with, which might have helped prevent it getting to this stage in the first place.

A couple of fan inspired turn arounds early on could have seen a very different season. We're so passive and sulky.


Our laboured style of play makes it very difficult to really get behind the team though. If nothing is happening on the pitch fans are going to be quiet.

Add our dreadful record under Stam of almost always losing once we fall behind and it’s hardly surprising we are so quiet. How often do we score early on in a game at home? It’s very rare. It’s not just about wanting to see the team win. We also want to be entertained. The entertainment on show has been dismal this season. I do not believe other fan bases would be any different.

Never said it was easy. We'll agree to differ then.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5934
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Relegation Watch

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 08:42

The fans have behaved exactly as you’d expect them to here

Ok, the crowd are quiet at home and a bit sulky and leave early, but on the other hand Stam should be grateful he isn’t getting repeated Stam Out chants and a lot more abuse coming his way

Not really buying that the crowd have anything to do with our shit form

User avatar
strap
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3048
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 09:06
Location: Gainsford End

Re: Relegation Watch

by strap » 20 Feb 2018 10:36

Um, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread! Apologies for starting this civil war. Er, maybe back n topic - Forest appear to be struck down with a bug of some description, and what with injuries and suspensions they are 7 players down from their 1st team squad. With us just back from a 10 day break, and Forest having played on Saturday, surely this is an ideal opportunity to get 3 points??? Or will we do the usual RFC and provide an under pressure oppo with an easy 3 points??

Other crucial games tonight have Sunderland at Bolton and Barnsley entertain Bolton. What would be the best results combination? RFC win and the other 2 games end in draws?

Pharr, who needs Champions League when you can have a right Royal relegation battle!

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5934
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Relegation Watch

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 10:43

Would have to say it all looks in our favour tonight. A defeat would be pretty crushing tbh


User avatar
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 32967
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 10:02
Location: From the Andes to the indies in my undies

Re: Relegation Watch

by Silver Fox » 20 Feb 2018 10:57

strap wrote:Other crucial games tonight have Sunderland at Bolton and Barnsley entertain Bolton. What would be the best results combination? RFC win and the other 2 games end in draws?


That's a tough fixture list for Bolton :shock: :wink: I think I concur with your thinking though

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1377
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: Relegation Watch

by windermereROYAL » 20 Feb 2018 11:07

Silver Fox wrote:
strap wrote:Other crucial games tonight have Sunderland at Bolton and Barnsley entertain Bolton. What would be the best results combination? RFC win and the other 2 games end in draws?


That's a tough fixture list for Bolton :shock: :wink: I think I concur with your thinking though


I say let`s try and isolate the bottom 2 so lets have us to win (obviously) and Sunderland and Burton to get beat.

User avatar
strap
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3048
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 09:06
Location: Gainsford End

Re: Relegation Watch

by strap » 20 Feb 2018 12:50

Silver Fox wrote:
strap wrote:Other crucial games tonight have Sunderland at Bolton and Barnsley entertain Bolton. What would be the best results combination? RFC win and the other 2 games end in draws?


That's a tough fixture list for Bolton :shock: :wink: I think I concur with your thinking though


Oh yes, just seen the error!! Poor old Bolton being forced to play 2 first XI games on the same day! Apologies, it's Burton at Barnlsey of course.

Actually for those interested, RFC really did have to play 2 first XI fixtures on the same day. I kid you not. On 13/041898 we were drawn away to Trowbridge Town in the Bristol Charity Cup semi-final - I believe this was the only date Trowbridge could manage. However, our original fixture list had us down to entertain Gravesend United in a Friendly match, (they were a fellow Southern League Division One rival at the time). Loath to pass up on the gate money, the game went ahead as advertised but obviously we had to out out a reserve XI. Gravesend didn't take the match too seriously either, including 4 reserves in their line-up. Didn't do them any harm though as they cantered into a 2-0 lead at half time and managed to hold onto the lead at the final whistle. Sadly I've not been able to find the RFC line up that day, nor the attendance, so no idea whether the match was considered worthwhile. The 1st XI fared better winning 1-0 at Trowbridge to make the final. That didn't go to plan though as we lost 0-3 to Warmley at Bristol St George's ground.

We actually lost our last 5 games of that season, yet somehow still managed to finish 5th of 12 in the Southern League, and 3rd of 8 in the Western League Professional Division, (Warmley finished 6th). As well as being losing finalists in the Bristol Charity Cup, we also made the semi-finals of the Wellingborough Charity Cup, losing 0-3 to Kettering at home. It should be said that the WCC only had 3 rounds in total including the final, so not as good as it sound reaching the semis!

Funnily enough the very next season there were 2 instances of RFC playing 2 nominally 1st XI games on the same day - and they were only 3 days apart! Those 4 games were in 4 different competitions too - United League and a Friendly on 08/03/1899 and Southern League and Bristol Charity Cup on 11/08/1899. We fielded predominantly reserves in the Friendly (v Black Watch, drew 0-0), and in the BCC (v Staple Hill, won 5-1).

You never heard of players whinging about fatigue in those far off days!

Barney
Member
Posts: 424
Joined: 06 May 2005 14:04

Re: Relegation Watch

by Barney » 20 Feb 2018 13:04

And although not "2 games in 1 day", it was as 'recent' as 1984 /85 season that we played on consecutive days.

May 13 - away to Wigan
May 14 - home to Gillingham

(and by the way, we were away to Bristol City on May 11 also !!!)

And up to the last 1970s, is was regular to play 3 times over the 4-day Easter weekend.

Back onto original thread: big night tonight. Take a point at Forest, and other results go our way, won't be a bad evening's work.


Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15119
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowball » 20 Feb 2018 13:11

windermereROYAL wrote:
Silver Fox wrote:
strap wrote:Other crucial games tonight have Sunderland at Bolton and Barnsley entertain Bolton. What would be the best results combination? RFC win and the other 2 games end in draws?


That's a tough fixture list for Bolton :shock: :wink: I think I concur with your thinking though


I say let`s try and isolate the bottom 2 so lets have us to win (obviously) and Sunderland and Burton to get beat.



IF we win (and I think we will, comfortably) I'd like to see

Boro beat Hull

Brentford beating Birmingham

Burton & Barnsley 0-0

Bolton & Sunderland 0-0

That would be three more points clear of two teams and two more points clear of four

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15119
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowball » 20 Feb 2018 13:12

Hound wrote:Would have to say it all looks in our favour tonight. A defeat would be pretty crushing tbh


Lose tonight and it will feel like it's all over

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2486
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Relegation Watch

by John Smith » 20 Feb 2018 13:15

Snowball wrote:
Hound wrote:Would have to say it all looks in our favour tonight. A defeat would be pretty crushing tbh


Lose tonight and it will feel like it's all over

Plot lost.

We can lose another 6 games this season and still be comfortable.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5934
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Relegation Watch

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 13:27

John Smith wrote:
Snowball wrote:
Hound wrote:Would have to say it all looks in our favour tonight. A defeat would be pretty crushing tbh


Lose tonight and it will feel like it's all over

Plot lost.

We can lose another 6 games this season and still be comfortable.


of course, which is why it isnt a 'must-win' or anything

however, this really is on paper as winnable a game as we are going to get. And I think even you would agree with that.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2486
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Relegation Watch

by John Smith » 20 Feb 2018 13:51

Hound wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Snowball wrote:
Lose tonight and it will feel like it's all over

Plot lost.

We can lose another 6 games this season and still be comfortable.


of course, which is why it isnt a 'must-win' or anything

however, this really is on paper as winnable a game as we are going to get. And I think even you would agree with that.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we will win the game tonight.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19077
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Relegation Watch

by genome » 20 Feb 2018 14:03

We need to win not purely because of this fixture, it's more because the upcoming games are really tough.

The only must win game would be when we need to win to stay up, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5934
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Relegation Watch

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 15:19

genome wrote:We need to win not purely because of this fixture, it's more because the upcoming games are really tough.

The only must win game would be when we need to win to stay up, but hopefully it won't come to that.


neither Sheff utd or Derby are on great form tbh. They certainly aren't easy, but are winnable. Obvs the away games at Villa, Wolves and Fulham look like write offs at the moment

632 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

It is currently 21 Jul 2018 10:42