MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h) sponsored by Tony & Barry Wagstaff

278 posts
biff

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h) sponsored by Tony & Barry Wagstaff

by biff » 28 Feb 2018 00:34

John Madejski's Wallet Sheff Utd did nothing wrong for that 3rd.

I'd have been livid if we'd given the ball back to another team after one of their players stupidly let the ball roll out of play after their player had already got up. It was obvious the ball wasn't going to come back

+1

the absolute bedwetting by our fans was embarrassing and rightly called out by their fans. Our ire shoudlve been directed solely at JVDB for being outfought by a fat billy sharp for said goal. Piss weak in all facets. oxf*rd this team

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 07:39

TBH we don’t know what was communicated on the pitch, which is why I tried not to be too judgemental

You’d assume the players indicate if they are going to give the ball back or not. I know that’s what happened when I played rubbish level football. If The Sheff Utd player indicated they weren’t then fair enough. The fact the entire team is walking about bar Sharp suggests they also thought they were giving it back though

Anyway, can’t do anything about it now. Looked like poor sportsmanship from where I was, but then I was miles away from it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2018 18:45

I don't get why everyone is raging again all of a sudden. We're on the edges of a relegation battle for a reason. Because we can't string a decent run of results and performances together. We've just got a decent point away against Forest and a good point at home against Derby. What were you all expecting? Everything was fine again?

People had been predicting zero points from Derby, Sheff U and Wolves.

We're still 4 points off relegation, still in 18th. We're no closer to going down than we were about a month ago and the teams below us have 4/5 games less in which to overtake us.

TBH I think it's relatively healthy that we stay hovering, because you could see this side going on holiday thinking it was job done after a couple of wins and extending the margin to 6/7/8 points. There's still more than enough time left to drop right in it if we stop thinking we're in trouble.

It's not like we didn't know our home form was terrible. Sheffield Utd are doing well this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2018 18:56

You didn’t watch last night did you Ian?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Feb 2018 19:09

As was the case with most of our players last night JvDB had a poor game. However, some of the criticism of him is OTT and, I believe, based on the fact that he is Dutch and therefore Stam's friend, meaning he gets played when he shouldn't.

People have asked whether our players care about the result and he clearly does. He (stupidly) risked getting sent off by trying to 'sort out' Billy Sharp on every possible occasion after he scored their third in controversial circumstances. He wouldn't do that if he didn't care about getting beaten.

Yes, he is a yellow card waiting to happen, but often this is because he is desperately trying to retrieve a bad situation, many of which are not of his direct making.

I have had quite a few non Reading supporting friends (poor barstewards!) watch games this season and they have all commented on what a tidy player he is. Most of the time he has a great first touch, can keep the ball and play some lovely passes of all ranges. We also know he can fire in a good shot (not many moaning about him that day against Barnsley!).

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Feb 2018 19:24

Snowflake Royal I don't get why everyone is raging again all of a sudden. We're on the edges of a relegation battle for a reason. Because we can't string a decent run of results and performances together. We've just got a decent point away against Forest and a good point at home against Derby. What were you all expecting? Everything was fine again?

We're still 4 points off relegation, still in 18th. We're no closer to going down than we were about a month ago and the teams below us have 4/5 games less in which to overtake us.

TBH I think it's relatively healthy that we stay hovering, because you could see this side going on holiday thinking it was job done after a couple of wins and extending the margin to 6/7/8 points. There's still more than enough time left to drop right in it if we stop thinking we're in trouble.

It's not like we didn't know our home form was terrible. Sheffield Utd are doing well this season.

That all makes sense...if you are a Burton Albion fan. A team that hasn’t spent 18 million on players this season alone as well as probably a wage budget 10% of everyone else. This team should at the very least be challenging the top six. Maybe not breaking into it, but challenging. The fact we are down in 18th four points off relegation is totally unacceptable and the act our performances and style of play are the worst many of us have seen for two decades also invalidates that. It is utter dross and the ownership, management and players all deserve blame for their horrible attitudes and performances.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 28 Feb 2018 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Feb 2018 19:24

RoyalBlue People have asked whether our players care about the result and he clearly does. He (stupidly) risked getting sent off by trying to 'sort out' Billy Sharp on every possible occasion after he scored their third in controversial circumstances. He wouldn't do that if he didn't care about getting beaten..

:?:

That's more of a description of someone putting their ego ahead of the good of the team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2018 19:28

FiNeRaIn
Snowflake Royal I don't get why everyone is raging again all of a sudden. We're on the edges of a relegation battle for a reason. Because we can't string a decent run of results and performances together. We've just got a decent point away against Forest and a good point at home against Derby. What were you all expecting? Everything was fine again?

That all makes sense...if you are a Burton Albion fan. A team that Thy hasn’t spent 18 million on players this season alone as well as probably a wage budget 10% of everyone else. This team should at the very least be challenging the top six. Maybe not breaking into it, but challenging. The fact we are down in 18th four points off relegation is totally unacceptable and the act our performances and style of play are the worst many of us have seen for two decades also invalidates that. It is utter dross and the ownership, management and players all deserve blame for their horrible attitudes and performances.

I deal with the real world of where we are, not where we ought or want to be.

We're in a mire and doing much worse than we should. Thta's a fact. Screaming about it won't be better.

Besides, I'm kinda enjoying the irony of the likes of you bemoaning us being in danger of relegation after having a sky high wage bill and smashing our transfer spending, when i seem to recall you arguing for years we should just spend more money.

lol, worked well hasn't it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Feb 2018 19:32

I think you’ll see I was amongst those calling for us signing a striker, not 6 wingers, so that comment is kind of laughable. I was in favor of improving our biggest weaknesses, the club ignored this and added to the area we were most abundant in so lol all you want. That’s exactly what I do when I think of the clowns responsible for the disastrous recruitment. Most of us wanted sensible, but decent spending, instead we got irresponsible clueless spending.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Feb 2018 19:36

Platypuss
RoyalBlue People have asked whether our players care about the result and he clearly does. He (stupidly) risked getting sent off by trying to 'sort out' Billy Sharp on every possible occasion after he scored their third in controversial circumstances. He wouldn't do that if he didn't care about getting beaten..

:?:

That's more of a description of someone putting their ego ahead of the good of the team.

Spot on Platypuss.
His concentration levels are dire and often his mistimed tackles are made after he has f*****d up.
With his passing he thinks he is Beckenbauer or Hoddle when in fact by comparison he would make Stevie Richardson look like Xavi or Iniesta.
A terrible player not worthy of the game time that his mate the manager gives him.
One shot per season does not a player make.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Feb 2018 19:38

Snowflake Royal
FiNeRaIn

That all makes sense...if you are a Burton Albion fan. A team that Thy hasn’t spent 18 million on players this season alone as well as probably a wage budget 10% of everyone else. This team should at the very least be challenging the top six. Maybe not breaking into it, but challenging. The fact we are down in 18th four points off relegation is totally unacceptable and the act our performances and style of play are the worst many of us have seen for two decades also invalidates that. It is utter dross and the ownership, management and players all deserve blame for their horrible attitudes and performances.

I deal with the real world of where we are, not where we ought or want to be.

We're in a mire and doing much worse than we should. Thta's a fact. Screaming about it won't be better.

Besides, I'm kinda enjoying the irony of the likes of you bemoaning us being in danger of relegation after having a sky high wage bill and smashing our transfer spending, when i seem to recall you arguing for years we should just spend more money.

lol, worked well hasn't it.

Just because a club spends a lot of money badly doesn't make the principle of spending money bad.
For every Everton or Reading there are Man City and Wolves.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Feb 2018 19:47

Not this old chestnut again. Anything to divert attention from the fact that everything the "STG brigade" have been saying for months is coming to fruition.

So Thanks Ian, you're making me agree with Victor and Finerain

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Feb 2018 19:54

I liked the bit where he implied it was better we lost last night so we don't get complacent with a bigger gap :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Feb 2018 20:01

:lol:

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 01 Mar 2018 05:23

thanks

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 01 Mar 2018 15:28

genome I liked the bit where he implied it was better we lost last night so we don't get complacent with a bigger gap :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Mar 2018 15:41

genome I liked the bit where he implied it was better we lost last night so we don't get complacent with a bigger gap :lol:

Is that what you'd call an Ian-ism?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Mar 2018 17:02

Hound You didn’t watch last night did you Ian?

This is precisely the point. The performance was utterly appalling save the first ten odd minutes in the second half. We were comically bad in the first half. Sheffield Utd let us off the hook. They should have scored 7 or 8. Defensively it was embarrassing. Midfield was at best average and upfront Martin was awful and Bodvarsson wholly ineffectual.

The performance was in my view worse than Burton at home and right down there with the worst efforts I have seen from the club in the past 40 odd years.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 01 Mar 2018 17:05

Eaststandman

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

LolIaloln

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Mar 2018 17:10

Tilehurstsouthbank

Is that what you'd call an Ian-ism?
sNOwflakin idea

278 posts