Gourlay

299 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gourlay

by leon » 02 Mar 2018 09:50

Awayawayaway Jesus Christ, Denver must be fun at parties

He's set in his opinion that everything is fine and the problem is the moaning fans. Whether he's actually set foot in the ground and seen for himself the paucity of life in this team and the absolute soul destroying nature of their performances on the (paying) fans.

I've been teliing him we're shit for months and he's been telling me no we're not. So I guess I'm just a bad, in that respect.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Mar 2018 10:03

Are the people moaning about Gourlay, and I guess to an extent BT, the same ones that used to say that Madejski, Howe and Hammond were useless and didn't know what they were doing?

Most of what these guys do is totally unknown to the fans so it's almost impossible to know if they're good at their job or not. We don't even really know what they're remit is and what the constraints (or not) they working within are.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Mar 2018 10:05

Denver Royal
Royalwaster
Old Boy Blue Just what is going on at Reading Football Club? Absolutely unbelievable that Stam's tenure is being allowed to drift on and on.
Are the owners so remote from the situation that they just do not realise what is going on? If yet another home defeat didn't start enough alarm bells a 6000 attendance despite the weather must surely have sparked a reaction.
The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.
Stam is the biggest current problem though there are a lot of doubts about Gourlay and Teverden. The football is terrible the results appalling and the Manager is a PR disaster. They can not genuinely think he can turn things around so there must be anothet reason for keeping him. Is it purely financial and they don't want to pay him off? If so that is very shortsighted as he is already causing a loss of supporters and relegation would be a financial disaster. Are they taking an almighty gamble that Stam will keep us up. Come on owners/Gourlay take action now as time is very quickly running out.

Seems like the most patient club in the world.

In the world? Break it down for me. You must know a lot more about all the teams in the world than I do. How are we, and I assume you mean under Stam, the most patient team in the whole wide world? In your workings, factor in where we were last season, where all the other teams were, where we had been the couple years prior, where we were when bottom half of 4th div, etc. And I'm not talking about how things 'seem' to you, because that might not be reality. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Could you also factor in all clubs, including knitting clubs, book clubs, nightclubs etc. This would really be useful to gauge how patient we are. Thanks.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Mar 2018 10:14

Hoop Blah Are the people moaning about Gourlay, and I guess to an extent BT, the same ones that used to say that Madejski, Howe and Hammond were useless and didn't know what they were doing?

Most of what these guys do is totally unknown to the fans so it's almost impossible to know if they're good at their job or not. We don't even really know what they're remit is and what the constraints (or not) they working within are.

The local connections with the Madejski and Howe, with Hammond starting his coaching with Reading, was i think vital to our identity at the time. I used to dislike Hammond, but saw him a a necessary evil....how ever some deals he did to recoup £££ from our flops was incredible. I had faith in Hammond selling but had a feeling he was scared to put his neck on the line to go 'big' on players.
Now we have people in charge, who if they walked past me on the street I probably wouldn't who they were.

under the tin

by under the tin » 02 Mar 2018 11:18

Lower West
Awayawayaway The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.

Decline of English football. Personally I don't think Reading are unique. I'd prefer to watch/be part of a local club that has soul. Part of the community where local people own and fund the club. Or the supporters themselves have a vested interest. Owners are interested in making money. No interest in what the club means to the fans. Who turn up whatever.

Even Swindon across the road. Are owned by a tax exile with interests in a lower league Irish side as well. There's no soul there either.

Decline of football.
I (to use a euphemism from the film polar express) became unable to hear the bells any more in about 2010. That was after about 42 years following RFC.
Suppose I will always be a fan, but the very future of the club is concerning . Our Chinese owners have 2 ways to make money from their asset. Get the club to the prem, and sell it on as a vanity to someone else. Or plan b, a club that can only attract sub 7k for a home match does not need a 24k stadium. Perhaps something more modest elsewhere and build on the site instead.......
They certainly did not follow the royals from afar before they bought.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Mar 2018 11:40

Delboy Why is he so quiet! not backing or sacking STAM, need journalists to pressure him to speak to fans ( those that are left) we are another Blackburn in the waiting

what is it with the need of some fans to be constantly talked to by the owners and high ups at the club?

he said he wasn't sacking STAM the last time he spoke, id assume that this will remain the same until he speaks again and changes his position.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Mar 2018 12:52

Hoop Blah Are the people moaning about Gourlay, and I guess to an extent BT, the same ones that used to say that Madejski, Howe and Hammond were useless and didn't know what they were doing?

I don't think so. I think most people realised that Hammond played his hand well given the constraints. He always seemed to get great prices selling.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Mar 2018 13:18

leon

I don't think so. I think most people realised that Hammond played his hand well given the constraints. He always seemed to get great prices selling.

There were many fans who berated Hammond on a regular basis, even for the audacity to have a squeaky voice!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Mar 2018 13:43

Hoop Blah
leon

There were many fans who berated Hammond on a regular basis, even for the audacity to have a squeaky voice!

I know, but whether they are the exact same that think Gourlay is doing fcuk all in, I'm not sure.

I think a sizeable number of people thought that Hammond/Madejski/Howe were very loyal to managers but knew when enough was enough - with this current Chief Exec there are doubts. Especially as there appears to be little communication to the outside world it gives the impression of a club without direction.

BKnumber6

by BKnumber6 » 02 Mar 2018 13:46

Hoop Blah
leon

This is true, Hammond was constantly slated for varying reasons (usually if we'd just lost) but I really think he did a cracking job.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 13:48

BKnumber6
Hoop Blah
leon

This is true, Hammond was constantly slated for varying reasons (usually if we'd just lost) but I really think he did a cracking job.

Hoop Blah
leon

I never fully understood the dislike of Nick (don't call me Nicky) Hammond, but now I know. Thanks. :wink:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Mar 2018 17:21

Denver Royal
Royalwaster
Old Boy Blue Just what is going on at Reading Football Club? Absolutely unbelievable that Stam's tenure is being allowed to drift on and on.
Are the owners so remote from the situation that they just do not realise what is going on? If yet another home defeat didn't start enough alarm bells a 6000 attendance despite the weather must surely have sparked a reaction.
The support is now so alianated from the Club, Stam and this bunch of characterless players that i fear many have departed possibly to never return again. It can become a habit not to go to the games as it is to go.
Stam is the biggest current problem though there are a lot of doubts about Gourlay and Teverden. The football is terrible the results appalling and the Manager is a PR disaster. They can not genuinely think he can turn things around so there must be anothet reason for keeping him. Is it purely financial and they don't want to pay him off? If so that is very shortsighted as he is already causing a loss of supporters and relegation would be a financial disaster. Are they taking an almighty gamble that Stam will keep us up. Come on owners/Gourlay take action now as time is very quickly running out.

Seems like the most patient club in the world.

In the world? Break it down for me. You must know a lot more about all the teams in the world than I do. How are we, and I assume you mean under Stam, the most patient team in the whole wide world? In your workings, factor in where we were last season, where all the other teams were, where we had been the couple years prior, where we were when bottom half of 4th div, etc. And I'm not talking about how things 'seem' to you, because that might not be reality. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Ill factor last season in......A fantastic home record last season in points though rode our luck a bit.....away from home f*cking useless ....had a some decent results away at the end though, had a rubbish goal difference, took some real beatings away from home Norwich, Fulham, Bretford etc.....Got to the playoff final......tipy tappied it for 120 minutes and produced one of the most dull and embarrassing performances to get a 0-0 draw against a team who finished with a goal difference of -6.....oh and the rest of the league didn't turn up (apart from Brighton and Newcastle, but they spent money).....and then at the start of the season when we lose to QPR, one or two of us (me being one, who witnessed that debacle) start questioning that if our luck runs out at home we could be in big trouble (I took a bit of stick for saying it at the time but I stuck to my guns).....now here we are.....Last seasons away form being replicated at home......few attempts on goal....sh*t football...pissed off fans not attending....hovering in a rather dangerous position in the championship above the relegation. So you see, last season really was an over achievement by us and we were set up for a nasty fall once everyone had worked out how easy it was to play against us this season. Even the Millwall manager said we were easy to play against......says it all.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 28 Apr 2018 23:27

I cannot stress enough just how responsible this man is for our demise this season. He is despised at the club, and the sooner he goes the better.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Apr 2018 23:56

WAZZOCK I cannot stress enough just how responsible this man is for our demise this season. He is despised at the club, and the sooner he goes the better.

Despised by who? I'll be honest I know nothing about the man.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 29 Apr 2018 08:21

Literally everyone. Look at how empty the Director's seating is these days, the man is a tyrant who has no idea what he's doing.

20+ years of Howe running this club properly, and in less than a year this chump has us on the brink.

Delboy

by Delboy » 29 Apr 2018 08:29

Agree Nigel Howe and Sir John knew how to run a successful club, Gourlay out of his depth at this level we are not Chelsea or Man Utd we are a local club

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Apr 2018 21:24

Delboy we are a local club

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Apr 2018 22:02

WAZZOCK I cannot stress enough just how responsible this man is for our demise this season. He is despised at the club, and the sooner he goes the better.

How do you know he is despised?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Apr 2018 22:23

Zip

How do you know he is despised?

Maybe he is Ron Gourlay?

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 11 May 2018 09:09

Just listened to the RG interview with Tim Dellor on the Andrew Peach show. If this man is supposed to energise and inspire the faith, we are doomed. laid back one of the panel said, more like totally horizontal with no chance of getting up. If this man is trying to enthuse, I would hate to listen to him if he was depressed. Slow, plodding, sleep inducing.

299 posts