Gourlay

299 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gourlay

by Hound » 11 May 2018 09:25

cavillerarusticana Just listened to the RG interview with Tim Dellor on the Andrew Peach show. If this man is supposed to energise and inspire the faith, we are doomed. laid back one of the panel said, more like totally horizontal with no chance of getting up. If this man is trying to enthuse, I would hate to listen to him if he was depressed. Slow, plodding, sleep inducing.

I don't think he is really.

Sounds like he is both a tyrant and also very laid back.

tbh some good stuff has happened at the club - the training ground genuinely seems to be happening, there were some good ticket initiatives (Burton etc) and it doesn't sound like he has come in and made huge cuts to staff numbers or anything of that ilk. In fact much the opposite, certainly on the playing side.

His competence could certainly be questioned with some of his decision making round transfers and contracts, and giving Stam 2 more months than he prob should have, but I'm not sure too much else from last years shambles (but we are definitely not 'on the brink') can be attributed to him

cavillerarusticana

by cavillerarusticana » 11 May 2018 09:38

So, someone who sticks the knife but in a relaxed way, interesting, if he smiles at you watch out. Sometimes, bad news has to be delivered, but do it a way that makes the people feel as if there is hope or light at the end of the tunnel after the pain. i don't know him but he sounds like he could be a cure for insomniacs.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 11 May 2018 10:01

I only caught a bit of the interview and what struck me was that he talked a lot and didn't actually say very much. I know that this tends to be what CEOs do, so that they don't leave any hostages to fortune, however some of the inane statements should have been challenged by Dellor.

also, the comments from the panel on BBCRB to have a more visible owner - is that really what people want? An owner who appears in the press all the time and makes the most of their ownership generating PR and profile?

Until there is evidence to the contrary, there appears to have been significant investment in both team, infrastructure and first team management - with an attempt to give Stam a significant period to turn it around despite popular opinion.

If you give the manager the keys and let them get on with it, you have to give it a good go.

lets see what the summer brings

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 May 2018 10:12

also, the comments from the panel on BBCRB to have a more visible owner - is that really what people want? An owner who appears in the press all the time and makes the most of their ownership generating PR and profile?

literally no interest in hearing from owners.
but it certainly wouldn't hold it against an owner for talking, and bitch about them only doing it purely for PR/profile
especially if that owner had achieved things with the club

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 11 May 2018 10:25

Maneki Neko

but it certainly wouldn't hold it against an owner for talking, and bitch about them only doing it purely for PR/profile

yea, that's my view - whatever the motivations for pouring money into the club, as long as we are winning and/or entertaining, I don't really care.

and if you do want to take a profile and be seen in the press etc and maybe get some personal honours/recognition, at least have some class and recognise the role that owning a football club played in that - whining about the cost of running a football club and claiming to get no benefit from it is a bit disingenuous...

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 May 2018 11:00

Maneki Neko

Think it was meant as, attending games, showing face around training ground and photo ops when applicable - but i think this is what Gourlay has been paid to do.
Zero interest from hearing from owners who have only invested in the club. JM was different as he was a local man who had invested a large chunk of his life and money to the club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 May 2018 11:04

I think we all know that the Russians, the Thais, or the Chinese have no real love or affinity for the club, that's its just cold hard business for them .
none of them are likely to pour money into the club that they aren't getting back in some way at some point.

ive got no real need to see them or hear from them on a weekly/monthly basis.
just keep the club solvent, keep paying wages, and funding the odd transfer, and don't sell up to idiots/criminals or leave us bankrupt.

that's all I want and need from our owners

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 May 2018 11:09

In my view we need a wealthy foreign owner from a country we have barely heard of who has made money from numerous legally questionable business deals. Once that person is installed they need a gimmick for the fans, some sort of hand or arm gesture possibly, to get everyone on side.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 May 2018 11:55

Maneki Neko I think we all know that the Russians, the Thais, or the Chinese have no real love or affinity for the club

How can you say that? Sasima even wrote a song

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 11 May 2018 12:04

Maneki Neko

Fans not hearing from the owners is inconsequential. What i think is more interesting is the effect it has on players?

e.g. the Thai consortium were much more visible, seemed to be 'fairly' open about what was going on around Reading. Results on pitch were much better. Chinese owners who have been seen once or twice, have made literally no statements or appearances at games...?

If we look at the teams up there this year, Cardiff & Vincent Tan? Jeff Shi and Wolves - both are fairly visible and make comments from time to time.

Contrast this with Ellis Short and Sunderland, where he didn't want the club and had been trying to shop it for however long.

I may be wrong, but just putting it out there for discussion!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2018 13:32

royal_rumble
Maneki Neko

Fans not hearing from the owners is inconsequential. What i think is more interesting is the effect it has on players?

e.g. the Thai consortium were much more visible, seemed to be 'fairly' open about what was going on around Reading. Results on pitch were much better. Chinese owners who have been seen once or twice, have made literally no statements or appearances at games...?

If we look at the teams up there this year, Cardiff & Vincent Tan? Jeff Shi and Wolves - both are fairly visible and make comments from time to time.

Contrast this with Ellis Short and Sunderland, where he didn't want the club and had been trying to shop it for however long.

Fans not hearing from the owner ≠ players not knowing whats going on.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 May 2018 13:46

royal_rumble
Maneki Neko

Cardiff fans must have a love-hate relationship with Tam? He wanted to change the home team strip to red, and made them play in it for a season or two? Then he very reluctantly abated, and so now they are back in blue. Oh, and they just won promotion to PL.

Imagine if our Chinese owners 'got involved', did away with the hoops, and made us play in red? :shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 May 2018 18:26

I'd imagine that the people who need to talk to the owners do talk to them on a regular basis.

The Cardiff fans hated Tan 4 years ago. Back in Malaysia, he has almost god like status due to his philanthropy.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 11 May 2018 20:55

Does an one know where I could listen to the interview?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 11 May 2018 21:10

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 12 May 2018 13:57

Listened to the first few words and to put it mildly, what a waste of space. How on earth is this bloke drawing a wage from our club? After his infamous comment about Stam, this character should join the local comedy circuit. How to say a lot, without actually saying anything. Joker :evil:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 May 2018 20:22

The Cap Listened to the first few words and to put it mildly, what a waste of space. How on earth is this bloke drawing a wage from our club? After his infamous comment about Stam, this character should join the local comedy circuit. How to say a lot, without actually saying anything. Joker :evil:

I listened to it on the radio. No personality at all. All the clichés came out, totally uninspiring, and to be frank, if I'd interviewed him he would have gone to the bottom of my list. He has never done a job like this where he is the sole CEO at this level. He's out of his depth by a country mile. Worst of all he seems to be throwing contracts around like confetti.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 May 2018 21:13

Sorry guys but I think you’re being ridiculous.

He comes across as fairly measured and makes a few interesting points.

How did you want him to come across? Like Winston Churchill? Or maybe shouting whilst doing star jumps?

He wasn’t doing the half time team talk. He’s the CEO not the fitness instructor,

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 May 2018 22:45

leon Sorry guys but I think you’re being ridiculous.

He comes across as fairly measured and makes a few interesting points.

How did you want him to come across? Like Winston Churchill? Or maybe shouting whilst doing star jumps?

He wasn’t doing the half time team talk. He’s the CEO not the fitness instructor,

Agreed.

Ive only listened to the half of it but he's asked what went wrong and he immediately says poor pre season, long term injuries to key players and players and staff not performing to their potential. In other words what people have been saying on here. He also talks of changing the mentality at the club. He even admitted the Championship was a steep learning curve for him. I get there feeling some people haven't even listened to it before passing judgement.

What do people expect him to say? Do they want him to publicly hang individuals out to dry? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 12 May 2018 23:38

Just on the subject of the owners i personally prefer to see what they do as opposed to hearing it and i liked the fact they backed the manager with considerable funds without any fuss it was Trevreden and Stam who cocked up.

299 posts