Gourlay

299 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gourlay

by leon » 13 May 2018 00:51

From Despair To Where?
leon Sorry guys but I think you’re being ridiculous.

He comes across as fairly measured and makes a few interesting points.

How did you want him to come across? Like Winston Churchill? Or maybe shouting whilst doing star jumps?

He wasn’t doing the half time team talk. He’s the CEO not the fitness instructor,

Agreed.

Ive only listened to the half of it but he's asked what went wrong and he immediately says poor pre season, long term injuries to key players and players and staff not performing to their potential. In other words what people have been saying on here. He also talks of changing the mentality at the club. He even admitted the Championship was a steep learning curve for him. I get there feeling some people haven't even listened to it before passing judgement.

What do people expect him to say? Do they want him to publicly hang individuals out to dry? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Thank God for some AE sense on the Team Board.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 May 2018 11:20

From Despair To Where?

How did you want him to come across? Like Winston Churchill? Or maybe shouting whilst doing star jumps?

He wasn’t doing the half time team talk. He’s the CEO not the fitness instructor,

Agreed.

Ive only listened to the half of it but he's asked what went wrong and he immediately says poor pre season, long term injuries to key players and players and staff not performing to their potential. In other words what people have been saying on here. He also talks of changing the mentality at the club. He even admitted the Championship was a steep learning curve for him. I get there feeling some people haven't even listened to it before passing judgement.

What do people expect him to say? Do they want him to publicly hang individuals out to dry? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Agreed.

He also made a very valid point re low profile owners - how much does Abramovich shove himself into the limelight? Yet Chelsea fans seem fairly happy with what he has done for their club. Frankly, given the choice between a very visible but financially limited owner and one who has the ability and willingness to bankroll the club to a very high level but prefers to stay in the background, I know which I'd opt for.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 13 May 2018 12:14

Totally appreciate the points made by others. Was it ever going to be a Churchillian speech? Clearly not. In terms of the owners, I get all that. However, rather than trotting out what I feel for many was a well rehearsed party political broadcast, that Tellor should have challenged a lot more than he did, we were left with a factual but very insipid response.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 May 2018 12:24

Finally got a listen. Seemed a reasonable interview too me, not really sure what the issue is

Explained the thoughts behind Stam staying as long as he did, why the owner isn’t especially visible but also confirmed the amounts being invested in the training ground

I’m sure other changes will be taking place behind the scene to try to remedy last season without him needing to broadcast it

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 May 2018 18:19

To be honest, I don't know what more you would expect the CEO of any company to say in an interview with a local hack other than a assessment of the past year and a broad statement of future intent.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 May 2018 20:00

From Despair To Where? To be honest, I don't know what more you would expect the CEO of any company to say in an interview with a local hack other than a assessment of the past year and a broad statement of future intent.

Well quite.

I also thought that TD did a reasonable job of asking the right questions.

It was interesting that the owner (singular) wanted to give Stam as much time as possible - I think that’s a good sign even if he gave him 2 months too long.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 13 May 2018 22:20

RoyalBlue
From Despair To Where?

Agreed.

Agreed.

He also made a very valid point re low profile owners - how much does Abramovich shove himself into the limelight? Yet Chelsea fans seem fairly happy with what he has done for their club. Frankly, given the choice between a very visible but financially limited owner and one who has the ability and willingness to bankroll the club to a very high level but prefers to stay in the background, I know which I'd opt for.

Rare agreed with leon

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 May 2018 10:32

People only notice when an owner is absent when things aren't going well.

If we had won the league last season then absolutely noone would give a shit if Dai Yongge attended matches, spoke to the press or not.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 May 2018 15:45

Hound Finally got a listen. Seemed a reasonable interview too me, not really sure what the issue is

Explained the thoughts behind Stam staying as long as he did, why the owner isn’t especially visible but also confirmed the amounts being invested in the training ground

I’m sure other changes will be taking place behind the scene to try to remedy last season without him needing to broadcast it

Agree - sounded very reasonable. There was nothing there I objected to and in fact a lot I thought he said very well. Thumbs up from me.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 19 Jun 2018 11:57

https://www.wokinghampaper.com/ron-gour ... c-updates/

Interview with the Wokingham Paper here, not sure what to make of it, any thoughts?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2018 12:17

seems sensible enough to me.

I've a feeling REP is never going to happen. I don't think the new owners want it, at least not in its current form.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jun 2018 12:19

Hound seems sensible enough to me.

I've a feeling REP is never going to happen. I don't think the new owners want it, at least not in its current form.

Really hope the train station goes ahead, would be a massive plus.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Jun 2018 12:59

Old Man Andrews
Hound seems sensible enough to me.

Really hope the train station goes ahead, would be a massive plus.

Think owners would like it to happen, but all the red tape that surrounds this stuff will probably wear them down and they'll lose interest.
However I think there is quite a lot being invested around town for public transport but I am still holding out for that monorail.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2018 13:17

The station is a completely separate project though isnt it? I expect that will still happen, and yeah it would be very good if it did

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Jun 2018 13:24

RE: REP - my understanding is that the club (and by extension the new owners) only own a minority (25%?) stake in the holding company which now owns the land. The rest is still owned by the Thai's(?). If that is the case then I don't think the project has much to do with "Reading Football Club" any more...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Jun 2018 13:33

blueroyals RE: REP - my understanding is that the club (and by extension the new owners) only own a minority (25%?) stake in the holding company which now owns the land. The rest is still owned by the Thai's(?). If that is the case then I don't think the project has much to do with "Reading Football Club" any more...

A minority stake is still a stake. And Nigel Howe, who is now vice chairman of the football club is in charge of property development - of both REP and the new training ground. So there's definitely a link - what there isn't is overall control.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2018 14:03

no agreed, its not totally up to them. However I suspect if they don't want it to happen they could make it quite difficult. My guess is at some time the Chinese will buy that land back off the Thais before anything is built on it, and take control of the project.

It sounds like the Chinese are pumping a fair bit of money into the infrastructure with the training ground etc. I just don't see how having only a stadium in the middle of someone else's development project really fits in with their profile.

One87One

by One87One » 25 Jun 2018 14:13

Apologies if touched on already, but Mr Gourlay recently saw off the marketing chap who was helping with the South Stand home fans thing, and he's since brought in his own man.

Worse still, Gourlay's idea of improving the atmosphere is........... A MARCHING BAND!

As I understand it this was dismissed, but, he really doesn't have a clue what the fans want/need!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jun 2018 17:21

Full-scale symphony orchestra in the South Stand or GTFO Ron.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jun 2018 17:32

Thames Valley Jets next.....

299 posts