MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

249 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 12:40

genome
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Danny?

I can't see anything other than a home win here. Surely?

Ady.

If Ady Williams is a legend, why isn't ALF? He achieved more with the club, has more "iconic" and memorable moments, won more prestigious silverware, played at a higher level with us than Ady.

What's your criterion for a legend? Appearances?

Le Fondre is arguably the laziest player to ever wear a Reading shirt. He was a very good sub but nowhere near a legend. He is a legend because he played in the Premier League?

Ady Williams made over 300 appearances for us and is Reading through and through. I would say to me legend status should be based more on appearances than anything but it is very open to argument. Everyone would have different criteria.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 12:43

Old Man Andrews He is a legend because he played in the Premier League?

Well, alongside all the other things I said. FWIW: I don't think ALF is a Reading legend, I can just understand why some would consider him as such, especially younger fans. He scored some very important goals for us.

I would say to me legend status should be based more on appearances than anything but it is very open to argument. Everyone would have different criteria.

Exactly.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Mar 2018 13:34

A must win game tomorrow night not only for the club but for Stam. I really do see this as a chance for us to build some momentum if we get the home win tomorrow night especially with Leeds and QPR coming up. I am feeling confident but the fans MUST support the team from the off tomorrow night and encourage rather than groan at any misplaced pass. (Coming from someone who is massively Stam out)

Lose 2 games this week and the mad stad is going to be absolutely toxic come full time on Saturday. Not only will this be the case but Stam's position at the club will become indefensible given the horrendous record of late. Teams below us are also surely due a run of a couple wins shortly eg Birmingham surely with a new manager will find some form. Sunderland will also have some confidence after picking up a point away and could really build on that. We've had more than enough chances to pull away from it recently and sooner or later those chances are going to run out as they did when we got relegated in our 2nd PL season.

If we get an early goal to settle the nerves I fancy us to win 2-1

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Mar 2018 14:01

Bolton's main tactic in the away game against us earlier in the season was to rough house our southern and foreign softie team. Darren Pratley (was there ever a more apt name for a player besides Danny Shittu?) was the ringleader.

Pratley managed to maim Swifty within half a hour of the game, so I expect more of the same with plenty of, ahem, "committed" Bolton challenges.

Don't think they'll get away with it at our place so I expect them to get a player sent off in an ill tempered match and we will win 2-0 or 3-1, if the Derby teams up, minus the gift goals, not the Sheffield United one.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2018 14:05

Didnt Le Fondre's sale to Cardiff keep the club afloat?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Mar 2018 14:11

Sutekh Didnt Le Fondre's sale to Cardiff keep the club afloat?

Yes, apparently paid a £2m tax bill that could have out us into administration if it hadn't been paid with the proceeds of his sale. He never wanted to leave Reading at the time and his family was settled, he never settled in Cardiff and his form suffered as a result with his family moving back to the North West without him at one point.

Is it not possible both him and Adie can be called RFC heroes?!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Mar 2018 14:29

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews
Ady.

If Ady Williams is a legend, why isn't ALF? He achieved more with the club, has more "iconic" and memorable moments, won more prestigious silverware, played at a higher level with us than Ady.

Le Fondre is arguably the laziest player to ever wear a Reading shirt. He was a very good sub but nowhere near a legend. He is a legend because he played in the Premier League?

Ady Williams made over 300 appearances for us and is Reading through and through. I would say to me legend status should be based more on appearances than anything but it is very open to argument. Everyone would have different criteria.

Yep, for me appearances are only one factor. Garath McCleary has more appearances for us than Jimmy Kebe - but I'd put Kebe as more of a legend than McCleary

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Mar 2018 14:32

bracksroyal10 Teams below us are also surely due a run of a couple wins shortly

How so? And why aren't we also due?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 14:55

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
genome

Yep, for me appearances are only one factor. Garath McCleary has more appearances for us than Jimmy Kebe - but I'd put Kebe as more of a legend than McCleary

Yep would agree with that. It is quite an interesting topic as to what qualifies a player as legendary. I just think the term is given too easily these days. Karacan and Le Fondre are names that always seem to appear in that legend catagory, unjustified in my opinion.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2018 15:35

Silver Fox

Come on SFers, you know full well, we are down there because we are just shit whilst other teams are just unlucky and therefore due to get a turn on their luck whilst we continue to just be shit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 16:03

Stranded
Silver Fox

Come on SFers, you know full well, we are down there because we are just shit whilst other teams are just unlucky and therefore due to get a turn on their luck whilst we continue to just be shit.

Hull have 7 points from the last 12, losing only once. Distinctly remember some posters getting ribbed for suggesting their form will pick up...

Barnsley with a couple of results recently, Burton too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2018 16:09

genome
Stranded
Silver Fox

Hull have 7 points from the last 12, losing only once. Distinctly remember some posters getting ribbed for suggesting their form will pick up...

And all still behind us. If they continue to pick up results and we don't then fair enough - we'll still stay up. Just can't stand the view that other teams "are due" or will absolutely pick up whilst we won't. We are abject but clearly so are the teams 19th through 24th.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 16:16

Stranded
genome
Stranded

And all still behind us. If they continue to pick up results and we don't then fair enough - we'll still stay up. Just can't stand the view that other teams "are due" or will absolutely pick up whilst we won't. We are abject but clearly so are the teams 19th through 24th.

Well, they've picked up wins recently and we haven't. And we still have to play all top four clubs away from home before the end of the season.

Our home form needs to improve, it could of course happen, but there's nothing to suggest it will, all the while those teams are starting to pick up points.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Mar 2018 16:56

Silver Fox

Well if you take into consideration our dire home form and the fact that under Stam nothing has & looks like it will change anytime soon, then it is an absolute miracle we are still not in the relegation zone.

Birmingham have a new manager and could hit form
Barsnley have a new manager and are getting a couple of results
Hull have a new manager and have hit form over a few games

A lot of the time at the start of a managerial reign, the team has a period where they get a few results.

This is why if we don't win tomorrow, Stam has to go IMO, no more teams around us other than Sunderland to play beyond full time tomorrow night and the players certainly won't be playing for him anytime soon if he can't beat Bolton at home.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 05 Mar 2018 17:57

Seems a different place to that 7-1 we had against them a few years back :D
Think we will win this one 2-0, if we lose this one i fear the worse...
expect a red card at one point hooefully for bolton.

also alf, jem and ady are all legends in my book

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Mar 2018 18:44

Bad news, talkreading have come out with one of their infamous jinx stats for this season. unbeaten in 10 years against Bolton, they`ve got a uncanny knack of putting the mockers on us with useless stats.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Mar 2018 18:45

Hound
Zip I don’t like the bloke who does the PA stuff now. Prefer the previous one.

He does sound pretty ridiculous when he screams out the C’mon Urrzzzz. Hasn’t got it right at all. Quite funny though

He sounds a bit of a geezer whereas the previous guy was more urbane. I think this may be why we haven’t won at home on for over three months.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 19:21

Zip
Hound
Zip I don’t like the bloke who does the PA stuff now. Prefer the previous one.

He does sound pretty ridiculous when he screams out the C’mon Urrzzzz. Hasn’t got it right at all. Quite funny though

He sounds a bit of a geezer whereas the previous guy was more urbane. I think this may be why we haven’t won at home on for over three months.

Isn't it the guy who used to do it? Paul Allen I think.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Mar 2018 20:05

I think we will most definitely be relegated if we lose tomorrow

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2018 20:06

genome
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Danny?

I can't see anything other than a home win here. Surely?

Ady.

You what? Club captain, local lad, Play Off Final hero, played over 300 games for us Ady Williams is on a par with Adam 'scored a few goals as a substitute' Le Fondre? oxf*rd Benik Afobe has more prestigious silverware with us and Emerse Fae played at a higher level, are they legends?

Are you stoned?

I mean, I love Alf and Ady gets right on my tits on BBCRB, but that's just insane.

249 posts