249 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2018 09:44

When : Tuesday 6th March, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Blah, blah, biggest game of the season, blah, blah, must win, blah, blah, real 6 pointer etc. Cliches they maybe but it's all true with this one. A win puts light and breathing space between the might of Reading FC and those huffing and puffing and hoping to blow our house down beneath us. A draw maintains nothing but the down down feeling of the status quo. Defeat will lead to another meltdown on this board, yet another poll about Jaap Stam and further disbelief as he's still in charge by Wednesday lunchtime.

So let's make this quite clear Jaap, Andries, Said et al what Reading MUST do is go for Bolton from the start and take the game to them. Make them worry, make them defend and work rather than allowing them the freedom to hassle, close down and grab the inevitable breakaway goal as yet another defensive howler clangs to the earth.

Bolton have limited resource owing to financial restrictions and Parky has been fighting fires up there all season. They are limited but fighters and Parky will have them suitably fired and believing they can provide yet another nail for Stam's coffin (although finding enough space in the wood to hammer it into will be a real challenge).

Reading's current league record as we know is disgrace. 1 win in the last 14 attempts and that was at Burton. Then there's 1 clean sheet in the last 15 attempts (0-0 at Hull). Even worse is the utterly ***** home form, it's beyond belief that there have only been 3 wins in 17 league games. It is wholly unacceptable that the by far the majority of home performances have been abject, inept, wretched, despicable, insert adjective of your own choice here and about time the management actually stopped bleating about players making "wrong decisions" etc., woke up and actually did something about it all. On the upside at least there is a chance of 3 points as all other home wins this season have been Tuesday "nighties" so let's hope it's repeat of the last win way back on 28th November.

Bolton's recent league record is, of course, much better than that of Reading. In their last 9 games they've amassed quite an impressive (by Reading standards) 9 points (1.0 ppg) compared to Reading's cracking 8 points from 14 games (0.57 ppg). Bolton's away form is spectacularly awful awful though with just 9 points, 9 goals and 1 win (1-0 at Sheffield United) so far. Their last 4 away games have yielded 1 points (0-0 at Norwich City last time out) and three 2-0 defeats.

Reading's injury problems should have improved slightly from the last game played with Swift and Barrow back in contention. A distinct lack of information might mean that Yann could be back but I'm not really expecting it. Aluko should have recovered from illness.

Bolton will have Karl Henry and Mark Little back after suspension ruled them out of Saturday's home defeat to Preston. In addition they have signed two free agents on short terms contracts to the end of the season. Midfielder Paul Kirchhoff joined after being released by Sunderland last summer and yesterday they completed the signing of former Nigerian international striker Chinedu Obasi who was released by Swedish club AIK Fotboll in January.

The weather should be back in line with normal March expectations having seen winter both arrive and depart in the last week. As a result the attendance should be greatly improved on the 6700 or sothat turned out for the last home disaster, more so as the game will enable fans to give a warm welcome back to Parky, Jem and Adam although lets hope that the home performance encourages fans to get behind the team a la Derby rather than totally dispiriting them again and lead to supporters spending the game chanting "12 Parkinsons" and further displays of camera phone night lighting etc.

Referee

James Linington returns to the Madejski for the second time this year. His last three games have seen 1 Reading goal and 10 conceded not to mention the appalling performance against Birmingham.

02 Jan 18 > Reading 0-2 Birmingham City
09 Sep 17 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
08 Apr 17 > Norwich City 7-1 Reading
24 Sep 16 > Reading 1-0 Huddersfield Town
21 Nov 15 > Reading 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 May 15 > Derby County 0-3 Reading
28 Dec 14 > Reading 2-1 Norwich City
21 Nov 14 > Cardiff City 2-1 Reading
12 Aug 14 > Reading 3-1 Newport County (League Cup)
10 Sep 11 > Reading 0-2 Watford
30 Apr 11 > Coventry City 0-0 Reading
22 Jan 11 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
02 May 10 > Reading 4-0 Preston North End
30 Jan 10 > Reading 1-0 Barnsley

Historically

Fourteen previous league head to heads played against Bolton Wanderers in Reading. Of those games Reading have won 9, drawn 2 and lost 3 scoring 24 to Bolton's 12

Game to remember. From February 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKgAsenearU

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2018 12:48

Still no David Coote as referee. Not happy.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (h) sponsored by back the boyz and make some noiz

by Zip » 04 Mar 2018 20:45

I don’t like the bloke who does the PA stuff now. Prefer the previous one.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 04 Mar 2018 21:48

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2018 22:08

Zip I don’t like the bloke who does the PA stuff now. Prefer the previous one.

He does sound pretty ridiculous when he screams out the C’mon Urrzzzz. Hasn’t got it right at all. Quite funny though

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Mar 2018 01:07

Hound
Zip I don’t like the bloke who does the PA stuff now. Prefer the previous one.

He does sound pretty ridiculous when he screams out the C’mon Urrzzzz. Hasn’t got it right at all. Quite funny though

I'm just glad he took comments on board and toned it down a lot, when he started he was being ridiculously over the top.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 09:33

The only thing that grates on me now is the way he shouts "Readiiiiiiiiiiing"

It's really grating

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 05 Mar 2018 09:44

Cant wait to see Jem and Alfie back two of my favourite players in the last 10 years my word could this team do with them now back in there primes.

Reading Legends.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 10:27

Theroyalbox Cant wait to see Jem and Alfie back two of my favourite players in the last 10 years my word could this team do with them now back in there primes.

Reading Legends.

You should only be concerned with our current players, this isn't the time for nostalgia.

I haven't seen any other group of supporters who are as obsessed with former players as a lot of our supporters are. The past is the past, move on. Neither player is a "Reading legend" anyway.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 11:14

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox Cant wait to see Jem and Alfie back two of my favourite players in the last 10 years my word could this team do with them now back in there primes.

Reading Legends.

You should only be concerned with our current players, this isn't the time for nostalgia.

I haven't seen any other group of supporters who are as obsessed with former players as a lot of our supporters are. The past is the past, move on. Neither player is a "Reading legend" anyway.

A bold claim. Are you regularly monitoring this with other clubs?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 05 Mar 2018 11:19

genome
Old Man Andrews

Reading Legends.

they defo are legends too

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 11:21

genome
Old Man Andrews

Reading Legends.

A bold claim. Are you regularly monitoring this?

Very well known fact a lot of our supporters are obsessed with past players/managers. If Stam goes you will see a lot of people asking the club to "BRING BACK BRIAN" or "BRING BACK SIR STEVE". Same with the players too. Local media touting out the possibility of Le Fondre coming back every transfer window and even the club tried to sell tickets for a Swansea friendly a couple of years ago exclusively off the back of Gylfi coming back to the Madejski. We should be worrying about our future and not the past, the past glories are gone and are not coming back any time soon are they?

It isn't that bold of a claim, I genuinely haven't seen any other supporters obsessed as we are and I keep fairly well abreast of other clubs on social media.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 11:23

Theroyalbox
genome
Old Man Andrews

They aren't, not even slightly. Go have a look back through history and see how they stack up against real club legends like Hicks, Quinn, Williams etc.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 05 Mar 2018 11:29

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox
genome

They aren't, not even slightly. Go have a look back through history and see how they stack up against real club legends like Hicks, Quinn, Williams etc.

For alfs brace alone at Southampton he will forever go down as a legend in my eyes but that's the beauty of football old man Andrews its all about opinions

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 11:30

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

A bold claim. Are you regularly monitoring this?

Very well known fact a lot of our supporters are obsessed with past players/managers. If Stam goes you will see a lot of people asking the club to "BRING BACK BRIAN" or "BRING BACK SIR STEVE". Same with the players too. Local media touting out the possibility of Le Fondre coming back every transfer window and even the club tried to sell tickets for a Swansea friendly a couple of years ago exclusively off the back of Gylfi coming back to the Madejski. We should be worrying about our future and not the past, the past glories are gone and are not coming back any time soon are they?

It isn't that bold of a claim, I genuinely haven't seen any other supporters obsessed as we are and I keep fairly well abreast of other clubs on social media.

Hmm, I don't know, I think you probably just notice it more with us because you're a Reading fan and you're more liable to see it regularly. I doubt you review the supporters of all 91 other clubs often enough to back that up....

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with celebrating and remembering past achievements. It's part of being a football fan.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Mar 2018 12:07

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox
genome

Danny?

I can't see anything other than a home win here. Surely?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2018 12:10

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox

Danny?

Ady.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Mar 2018 12:22

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Danny?

Ady.

If Ady Williams is a legend, why isn't ALF? He achieved more with the club, has more "iconic" and memorable moments, won more prestigious silverware, played at a higher level with us than Ady.

What's your criterion for a legend? Appearances?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 05 Mar 2018 12:25

Ady Williams is a first class CNUT

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 05 Mar 2018 12:32

Didn't we need to beat Fulham and Bolton when we were relegated from PL? I'm getting some serious deja vu...

249 posts