Robin Friday Info reqd

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robin58

Robin Friday Info reqd

by robin58 » 05 Mar 2018 11:28

Hi
Im looking up some info for Robin Friday
Can anybody tell me the actual date of his debut ?
Been on Wikipedia and it says 27-1 74 is this correct
Ive seen the programme from this season v Northampton T at Elm Park the game it says was his debut dated 3rd April ?
I have a book on Reading but does not have the fixtures date just the history
Anybody throw some light on it, any info would be appreciated
I take i that 1973 -4 is correct

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Robin Friday Info reqd

by Denver Royal » 05 Mar 2018 16:48

robin58 Hi
Ive seen the programme from this season v Northampton T at Elm Park the game it says was his debut dated 3rd April ?

Robin, his debut was indeed on 27/1/74 away to Northampton Town.
The following game was away to Barnsley on 3/2/74, in which he scored his first goal for us.
And the next game was his home debut against Exeter on 10/2/74, in which he scored twice.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Mar 2018 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Mar 2018 16:55

Not so unusual now, but those games were played during the three-day week period and were all played on Sundays. Admission was by paid-for programme only due to the Sunday Observance laws.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 05 Mar 2018 22:31

Ark Royal Not so unusual now, but those games were played during the three-day week period and were all played on Sundays. Admission was by paid-for programme only due to the Sunday Observance laws.

I think you might also find that around about that time, the Football Club tried to get a Sunday market going in the then car park at Elm Park.
Nothing to do with Robin, but you spoke of the 3 day week and it reminded me.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 06 Mar 2018 12:39

I vividly remember Robin's home debut. As already noted, it was a Sunday game, but IIRC, it kicked off around 1pm to minimise the use of the floodlights and fit in with what time power would be available in that part of town. I know the buses weren't running so I had to walk from the University area and it absolutely poured down as I was walking along the Oxford Road. I stood on the South Bank, leaning against a crash barrier, trying to get the cloth of my freezing / wet brown corduroy flares not to stick to my legs. After walking home, I got straight into O-level revision...

robin58

by robin58 » 07 Mar 2018 10:28

Thanks all for your help , much appreciated

The reason i was confused one of the writers of a story about him said it was a HOME game his first game
but as you have said it was Away causing the confusion
I know somebody who knew him just after his playing days a massive millwall fan
He was friends with him and his wife
Thanks again

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Mar 2018 18:29

Ark Royal Not so unusual now, but those games were played during the three-day week period and were all played on Sundays. Admission was by paid-for programme only due to the Sunday Observance laws.

I wonder when those laws were scrapped.

I once went to Wembley for a random autoglass trophy final, and found that because it was a Sunday, they had to let fans in for free. All you had to do was sign a sheet of paper at the turnstile.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Mar 2018 23:49

tmesis

I wonder when those laws were scrapped.

I once went to Wembley for a random autoglass trophy final, and found that because it was a Sunday, they had to let fans in for free. All you had to do was sign a sheet of paper at the turnstile.

1994?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 Mar 2018 09:04

Denver Royal
robin58 Hi

The following game was away to Barnsley on 3/2/74, in which he scored his first goal for us.
And the next game was his home debut against Exeter on 10/3/74, in which he scored twice.

10/2/74, not 10/3/74. Obvs a typo and pedant mode is now switched off. More importantly I was at that match as a 10 year old and stood behind the Tilehurst End. I remember distinctly Robin Friday heading one in directly in front of me. Can't recall his second so clearly but I think it was a shot and not a header. Could be wrong though. In fact I suspect that the grainy footage on YouTube that we've all no doubt seen is Robin playing and scoring for us in that game (if anyone could confirm that would be great) :)

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 09 Mar 2018 09:27

What a legend Robin was. Regardless of whoever we were playing, entertainment was always on the menu. The mere mention of his name, takes me to a space when we were Reading.....through and through. How times change.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 09 Mar 2018 16:28

Muskrat
Denver Royal
robin58 Hi

And the next game was his home debut against Exeter on 10/3/74, in which he scored twice.

10/2/74, not 10/3/74. Obvs a typo and pedant mode is now switched off. More importantly I was at that match as a 10 year old and stood behind the Tilehurst End. I remember distinctly Robin Friday heading one in directly in front of me. Can't recall his second so clearly but I think it was a shot and not a header. Could be wrong though. In fact I suspect that the grainy footage on YouTube that we've all no doubt seen is Robin playing and scoring for us in that game (if anyone could confirm that would be great) :)

The footage is from Reading v Lincoln City in 75/76 and Ray Hiron scored, not Friday.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 Mar 2018 19:10

Ark Royal
Muskrat
Denver Royal

The footage is from Reading v Lincoln City in 75/76 and Ray Hiron scored, not Friday.

That would make sense actually, looks like a big crowd and I think it was about 15,000 that day.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 09 Mar 2018 19:56

Muskrat
Ark Royal
Muskrat

That would make sense actually, looks like a big crowd and I think it was about 15,000 that day.

Yep, crowd of about 15,900, which was the largest attendance in Division 4 that season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Mar 2018 20:00

Made my tv debut (hanging over the wall in the Tilehurst End) on Southern Soccer (homemade banner an’all) at that one :)

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Mar 2018 21:00

I learned something today that I never knew before about Robin Friday's home debut against Exeter that day. It was his first game for us as a professional footballer. The previous two away to Northampton and Barnsley were played as an amateur on non-contract terms. The programme for Exeter refers to Friday as "the Hayes amateur". It's only in Charlie Hurley's match day notes where he confirms that Friday signed professional terms for us on the Wednesday before.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1