BFTG - Leeds

105 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Leeds

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2018 17:48

Frustrating game. The first 35 min was everything we want from this team. Fast, incisive passing. Intent. Should have been 3 up.

But then the Ilori factor kicked in to full swing, half-arsed balls into feet when the player is facing our goal and has a man on his back, and it all crumbles. Cut Jansi reverting to punching an easy collection and we're back to 1-1 and nearly 1-2.

Whatever Stam said at half time, we just reverted to slow, pass-back sh*t and a Leeds goal was inevitable. That goal from pointless lazy passing from Kelly.

Stroke of luck for the equaliser, our tails are up, the stadium is rocking, we start attacking for the win..... and f#cking Jaap f#cking Stam decides for the first time in his career to make an early double substitution and kill all momentum and threat.

Cue more sh*t playing around at the back and they nearly get a comedy goal from our own lame backwards free kick.....just what was with Gunter second half :shock:

Anyway. Entertaining, some very good football, some very bad football. I'm going to try and cling to those first 35 min :)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Leeds

by Sutekh » 10 Mar 2018 17:55

And now onto Wolves :o

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2018 17:57

From the highlights certainly looked like we should have been 2-3 up. Some good play there

Second half looked useless though

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Mar 2018 18:08

John Madejski's Wallet Our tails are up, the stadium is rocking, we start attacking for the win..... and f#cking Jaap f#cking Stam decides for the first time in his career to make an early double substitution and kill all momentum and threat.

Cue more sh*t playing around at the back and they nearly get a comedy goal from our own lame backwards free kick.....just what was with Gunter second half :shock:

Hear what you say, and the subs didn't really pan out. Its interesting, though, because at the time the subs were made they were lauded as being good subs and incisive on the match thread. Guess you can't please everyone. Might want to get Swift back in the staring lineup because he isn't doing much for me when he comes on as a sub right now.

Still no Sat home win (there, I said it first, so nobody else needs to pile on :wink: ), but a much improved performance, I thought. As you say, should have been at least 3-0 up at HT. I thought for sure Barrow would bury his one-on-one with the keeper but instead got off a tame shot.

Our defense is so fragile, though, esp. Ilori. Not sure what his best position is, but he's currently masquerading as a central defender in the Champ. Its as if he needs a 6'5 lump playing with him for protection so that he can then do whatever it is he actually does. Its like we have to score about ten goals to win a game currently, and even then it might not be enough. We couldn't win a game 1-0 to save our lives right now.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 10 Mar 2018 18:17, edited 2 times in total.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Mar 2018 18:12

For once Stam picked a pretty standard team and formation and surprise surprise we did ok

First half we played well and should have been 2 or 3 nil up at half time, but some how we miss our chances then Leeds get a goal just before half time, A complete injustice

Then second half they get one and we equalise and give then up and settle for the draw

We really should have won that game comfortably from the first half performance, but if we play like that we'll be ok.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 10 Mar 2018 18:20

Much, much better performance. Really enjoyed that today! Yes, the subs weren’t great, Evans was our driving force in midfield but Edwards just couldn’t match that when he came on. I think a point is fair overall. Special mention to Aluko who had a really good game for the most part....mainly because he stayed out wide (I may have mentioned this before!). I’m trying to be really positive so I won’t mention our defence! :wink:

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 10 Mar 2018 18:25

Just got in , those Leeds fans can sing champions of what.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2018 18:34

Denver Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Our tails are up, the stadium is rocking, we start attacking for the win..... and f#cking Jaap f#cking Stam decides for the first time in his career to make an early double substitution and kill all momentum and threat.

Hear what you say, and the subs didn't really pan out. Its interesting, though, because at the time the subs were made they were lauded as being good subs and incisive on the match thread. Guess you can't please everyone..

Really?

Everyone around me was really confused. It's so unusual for him to make a sub (usually we're screaming for him to make a change at 1-0 down and 80min gone), so to make a double sub so early, and at a point in the game we had momentum was just :? . And for it to be a straight swap for two CMs who were playing ok was even more baffling. It got a lot of people's backs up as we went backwards from there

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Mar 2018 18:48

Kitsondinho Much, much better performance. Really enjoyed that today! I think a point is fair overall. Special mention to Aluko who had a really good game for the most part....mainly because he stayed out wide (I may have mentioned this before!). I’m trying to be really positive so I won’t mention our defence! :wink:

Yeah, peach of a thru ball, first time, to Dadi for our opener. Hopefully will help his confidence, and there was certainly more about him today.

Our D? Yeah, we need to score about 10 goals to win a game, it seems.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2018 18:49

Agree with the OP, I mean WTF, tails up, momentum, then a double sub killed it all off, I was fuming at the time, but after a few beers I'm even more angry.
Cant really complain about the first half performance, just about as good as we have been all season, but you could always see complimentary goal before half time coming.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Mar 2018 18:52

John Madejski's Wallet
Denver Royal

Hear what you say, and the subs didn't really pan out. Its interesting, though, because at the time the subs were made they were lauded as being good subs and incisive on the match thread. Guess you can't please everyone..

Really?

Everyone around me was really confused. It's so unusual for him to make a sub (usually we're screaming for him to make a change at 1-0 down and 80min gone), so to make a double sub so early, and at a point in the game we had momentum was just :? . And for it to be a straight swap for two CMs who were playing ok was even more baffling. It got a lot of people's backs up as we went backwards from there

That was dreadful. I don’t give care how entertaining it was - we need to win.

We attacked really well in the first 40 mins, and the goal was nicely worked. Their keeper made some fantastic saves but even then our midfield was getting walked through and the defence. Jesus Christ.

Leeds played the overlap on our right several times and for the first goal 2 defenders on one man and the other just waltzed past them. Easy.

Second half we were just crap.

The second goal was a combination of a shit midfield and shit defence.

Let’s be clear Leeds were very poor. They could have won it from more disorganisation at the back.

What does Stam do with this team? We are totally incompetent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Mar 2018 19:12

Thank God for the bottom three because we cannot win for love nor money. I thought Bodvarsson was superb today. He ran his heart out but did he really score the second goal? I thought it an own goal.

There was an idiot in the ED stand celebrating Leeds second goal who left with his tail between his legs just after we equalised.

An enjoyable game and a fair result. I thought Leeds number ten was excellent.
Jaakkola did well but dear God that near calamity summed up our season. A Reading free kick on the half way line goes all the way back to the keeper and we nearly concede an absolute shocker.

Good atmosphere at the game and just for a few fleeting minutes in that second half Aluko showed us what has been missing. There is a good player in there.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Mar 2018 19:15

leon Let’s be clear Leeds were very poor. They could have won it from more disorganisation at the back.

What does Stam do with this team? We are totally incompetent.

Two poor teams. Made for an entertaining game. Another point towards safety.

Stam can do little with the extensive injury list. With one fit full back available options are somewhat limited. There's a core of a team for the future. That badly needs some older calm heads for guidance and leadership.

Clement had his best game today. Which was a positive sign.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Mar 2018 19:34

Much better today, just frustrated we didn't take advantage in the first half and put Leeds to bed. Faded greatly in the second half.

But overall, a marked improvement on recent games.

Jaakkola - 4 - Nearly gifted Leeds a late winner. And seemed determined to waste time by taking ages with goal kicks and not sending the ball upfield quickly for counter-attacks. Mannone back in on Tuesday please.
Bacuna - 6 - Some nice passing and good effort, caught out for the equaliser though.
Moore - 7 - Pretty solid. Won big headers and tackled well.
Ilori - 5 - Just seems lazy and casual for a centre-back, at certain points didn't work hard enough to get back. Extra point for the nutmeg. :lol:
Gunter - 6 - Sloppy on the ball a bit, otherwise okay.
Kelly - 6 - Would be a 7 but poor pass for Leeds' 2nd. Otherwise good, looked much more like he did last season.
Clement - 6 - Tidy but didn't really affect the game that much. Got some stick from fans behind me for some reason, but I don't think he did much wrong today.
Evans - 6 - Much better than Tuesday, got forward well, unfortunate not to score on a couple of occasions. Got bypassed a little when Leeds came forward.
Aluko - 7 - Fcuking hell, more of that please Sone. Still lost possession occasionally but today was the player we were expecting to see. Important in both Reading goals.
Barrow - 6 - Dangerous first half, if a bit wasteful. Faded in the 2nd. Still looks our most effective player.
Bodvarsson - 8 - MOTM. Took his goal well, was everywhere across the front line, battling and holding it up. Good stuff.

Subs:
Swift - 6 - Didn't really get into the game as much as I'd hoped.
Edwards - 5 - Clement should've stayed on IMO, as he was getting on the ball. Edwards just ran around a bit.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 10 Mar 2018 19:46

genome Much better today, just frustrated we didn't take advantage in the first half and put Leeds to bed. Faded greatly in the second half.

Jaakkola - 4 - Nearly gifted Leeds a late winner. And seemed determined to waste time by taking ages with goal kicks and not sending the ball upfield quickly for counter-attacks. Mannone back in on Tuesday please.
Bacuna - 6 - Some nice passing and good effort, caught out for the equaliser though.
Ilori - 5 - Just seems lazy and casual for a centre-back, at certain points didn't work hard enough to get back. Extra point for the nutmeg. :lol:
Kelly - 6 - Would be a 7 but poor pass for Leeds' 2nd. Otherwise good, looked much more like he did last season.
Clement - 6 - Tidy but didn't really affect the game that much. Got some stick from fans behind me for some reason, but I don't think he did much wrong today.
Evans - 6 - Much better than Tuesday, got forward well, unfortunate not to score on a couple of occasions. Got bypassed a little when Leeds came forward.
Aluko - 7 - Fcuking hell, more of that please Sone. Still lost possession occasionally but today was the player we were expecting to see. Important in both Reading goals.
Barrow - 6 - Dangerous first half, if a bit wasteful. Faded in the 2nd. Still looks our most effective player.
Bodvarsson - 8 - MOTM. Took his goal well, was everywhere across the front line, battling and holding it up. Good stuff.

Subs:
Edwards - 5 - Clement should've stayed on IMO, as he was getting on the ball. Edwards just ran around a bit.

Have to disagree on some of those ratings.

Gunter was poor today - as poor as I've seen him in ages, constantly too far from his man (will leave 3Points to comment as he was very vocal about it during the game).
Thought Kelly had a good game again (certainly far more in form that a few months ago). I hold Clement mainly responsible for their second goal - just stood and watched as the ball went past him.
Jaakkola was ok for me except when he spent too much time oxf*rd around before kicking out - almost gifting the game to Leeds with (what would have been) a comical goal.

Ref was shocking and seemed to get worse as the game went on.

Overall though a far better performance than Bolton.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Mar 2018 19:51

Out of interest, does anyone know how many points we’ve lost from winning positions since about Barnsley away? Must be loads. 8 in the last 5 games

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Mar 2018 19:57

RG7Fan
genome Much better today, just frustrated we didn't take advantage in the first half and put Leeds to bed. Faded greatly in the second half.

Subs:

Gunter was poor today - as poor as I've seen him in ages, constantly too far from his man (will leave 3Points to comment as he was very vocal about it during the game).
Thought Kelly had a good game again (certainly far more in form that a few months ago). I hold Clement mainly responsible for their second goal - just stood and watched as the ball went past him.
Jaakkola was ok for me except when he spent too much time oxf*rd around before kicking out - almost gifting the game to Leeds with (what would have been) a comical goal.

Gunter - Remember him putting in a couple of good tackles. But as I said, sloppy at times. 6 is probably generous.
Kelly - As I said, I thought he had a good game but he did lose possession a few times. He is looking more confident.
Clement - Must've not been looking at him for their 2nd as I didn't notice. Fair enough.
Jaakkola - He admittedly did make a good save in the 2nd half too, so 4 is on the harsh side. But your other comments are pretty much exactly what I said :P

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 10 Mar 2018 20:13

Anyone who was at Stevenage away know how long Jaakkola takes with goal kicks. Seems bizare he's played the last few games...why? What has Mannone done wrong all season?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Mar 2018 20:23

It's strange how fans can see things so differently. I thought Jaakkola was good. Whenever he gathered the ball he was quickly looking to see what options were open to him. On several occasions he produced quick accurate throws to set off counter attacks (how often does Mannone throw the ball?). He also produced some quick, long and accurate drop kicks. Taking goal kicks quickly is less important as on most occasions by the time the ball is retrieved and placed, the opposition is back in position.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 10 Mar 2018 20:40

genome
RG7Fan

Subs:

Gunter - Remember him putting in a couple of good tackles. But as I said, sloppy at times. 6 is probably generous.
Kelly - As I said, I thought he had a good game but he did lose possession a few times. He is looking more confident.
Clement - Must've not been looking at him for their 2nd as I didn't notice. Fair enough.
Jaakkola - He admittedly did make a good save in the 2nd half too, so 4 is on the harsh side. But your other comments are pretty much exactly what I said :P

Thought your scoring was harsh (except Gunter) that's all - would give Jaakkola a 6, and Kelly a 7/8.

Unfortunately highlights don't show the Clement incident. I would give Gunter 5 as a max.

105 posts