RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Leeds

by RoyalBlue » 11 Mar 2018 22:00

AthleticoSpizz Tongue in cheek stuff...at least they were there :lol:
fair play to them, they aren't going anywhere much

Tongue in the cheek or utter bad taste from their nasty bunch? Pretty sure they also sang that Jimmy Savile shags who he likes (an old favourite of theirs). Added to their nasty behaviour, some (albeit a minority) of their following clearly belong back in the era when their club used to be 'great'.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Mar 2018 22:03

Snowflake Royal
leon Sorry boys but I’m not convinced.

We’ve played Bolton and Leeds at home. Both execrable teams. We go a goal up and we contrive to draw.

And we’re satisfied with this?

Our organisation throughout the team is getting worse.

Can you say we will win another game this season? Keep a clean sheet?

Who is satisfied?

All that matters is staying up and draws are doing the job.

Two weeks ago people were asking where the next point was coming from.

We don't even need to win a game, but I expect we'll pick up one somewhere, maybe unexpected, maybe Sunderland.

We may have only won 1 in 16, but we've also only lost 1 in 5.

The last two games we've got significantly further from relegation by gaining 2 points on those who matter below whilst they burnt three chances to gain on us. Why on Earth be so depressive given that?

Worrying or being disappointed won't do shit to help.

Sorry don’t understand your point.

I shouldn’t worry about/be pissed off with not winning two home games we should have won?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Mar 2018 22:11

It's very evident how disillusioned some of our fans have now become to the extent that they can no longer see anything good/positive about the team.

Yes, the majority of our players have performed very poorly for the majority of the season but there were some positive signs yesterday.

JDB was immense, although on occasions still struggled in the air, he never stopped running all game. Barrow was also very good. Kelly had a couple of nightmare moments but, on the whole outweighed them with good stuff, including his part in our first goal. Aluko also played much, much better and also played a key part in our first goal with that sublime pass to JDB.

Clement had a really good game, not only demonstrating some great skill and ability but also battling away. This was acknowledged by the applause from the majority of the crowd when he was subbed and it was great to see him realise that and acknowledge the applause.

I think the double substitution was Stam trying to go for the game. Evans was clearly tiring and on a yellow, Swift has the ability to single handedly win games. Sadly, on this occasion the substitution didn't work out.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 11 Mar 2018 23:11

Snowflake Royal For their second, Kelly played the sort of ball that should be exactly right, except Clement hadn't moved, didn't move and then didn't chase.

Think Kelly was more culpable than Clement.
Sure Clement was static but Kelly could see that yet still played the ball behind him and with Saiz and another running onto it.
Not great from Bacuna subsequently standing off in the box either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2018 11:40

Horsham Royal
Snowflake Royal For their second, Kelly played the sort of ball that should be exactly right, except Clement hadn't moved, didn't move and then didn't chase.

Sure Clement was static but Kelly could see that yet still played the ball behind him and with Saiz and another running onto it.

Kelly was careless, but Clement was partially masked by Barrow for him I think and was facing in the right direction to go for it. Kelly's only other reall option seemed to be hoof it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Mar 2018 11:48

For once I won't go on about Gunter's performance -others have said already what needed to be said and on here and in the Football League paper he was given the lowest rating of either side.
What I would like to know, and was mentioned in Stam's post-match interview, is what was going on in the West Stand when Gunter was arguing with a fan?
Concentration-that is what this team lacks, whether it be Gunter, Bacuna, Ilori or Joey, they all lack focus.
As leon has posted, how far have we come that two draws at home have become reasons for rejoicing?
It was good to see goals and some attacking intent but , apart from Bod, this team is lazy both physically and mentally.

I went to see Bournemouth v Spurs yesterday-it was from the ridiculous to the sublime within 24 hours but the thing that hit me was the amount of effort put in by all players , especially so-called flair players.
Alli and Eriksen were everywhere and I have maintained all season that one of the (many) faults in our team is that players don't work hard enough to make themselves available and are just happy to pass and not move.
One funny moment yesterday was Ball-boygate.
A ball-boy twice refused to give the ball to a Spurs player and on another occasion he threw it away.
He was subbed at half-time .

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Mar 2018 12:19

Snowflake Royal
Horsham Royal

Kelly was careless, but Clement was partially masked by Barrow for him I think and was facing in the right direction to go for it. Kelly's only other reall option seemed to be hoof it.

Kelly shouldn't have played that pass, both Barrow and Clement hadn't shown for the ball or even facing the right way for that pass. Agree that that should have been the correct ball, but at this level you should be able to make a split decision not to play the ball.
Seems to be a common problem, when players receive the ball they instantly know what they want to do with it (which is great) but then make a hash of it due to other players not making the run you expect.
Bacuna, looking at the extended highlights was very frustrating. He seems to be spot on positional wise both in defence and attack. However the execution of tracking the oppo run or picking right pass was well off.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Mar 2018 14:13

Victor Meldrew One funny moment yesterday was Ball-boygate.
A ball-boy twice refused to give the ball to a Spurs player and on another occasion he threw it away.

IMO our ball-boys/girls are useless. Slow to get to the ball and return it especially when we are attacking. I want to see them jump the advertising and speed the game up. Not wait for it to roll past before they walk to the ball and then walk back!

They seem all too keen to give the back to the opposition quicker as well. It's almost like their kids from local schools who don't particularly care about the game/result.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 14:26

LWJ

IMO our ball-boys/girls are useless. Slow to get to the ball and return it especially when we are attacking. I want to see them jump the advertising and speed the game up. Not wait for it to roll past before they walk to the ball and then walk back!

They seem all too keen to give the back to the opposition quicker as well. It's almost like their kids from local schools who don't particularly care about the game/result.

I see your point but they're probably about 12 years old mate! Give them a break!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Mar 2018 14:32

Victor Meldrew I have maintained all season that one of the (many) faults in our team is that players don't work hard enough to make themselves available and are just happy to pass and not move.

Agreed, and its an excellent point, Victor.

Roy Keane, in his 2nd book (I think) outlines this. In the book, and I'm paraphrasing, he said footy for him was/is essentially about 3 things, and that he basically made a career out of doing it:
1. Get the ball
2. Pass it to a teamate
3. Move
And so yes, its the 3rd element that is lacking in our team. Too often, one of our player's will make the pass, and then remain static.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 12 Mar 2018 14:33

John Smith I see your point but they're probably about 12 years old mate! Give them a break!

Other clubs ball-boys are able to do it. Will teach them to have some passion for the club, especially when they join the Scorpions when they are older.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 12 Mar 2018 14:55

LWJ
John Smith I see your point but they're probably about 12 years old mate! Give them a break!

Other clubs ball-boys are able to do it. Will teach them to have some passion for the club, especially when they join the Scorpions when they are older.

I definitely agree that the worst thing about the club are the ball-children.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2018 15:18

Can't say I've ever noticed

I know a lot of clubs use the academy boys and girls as the ball boys and girls. Do we? Would guarantee a basic understanding of the game and even when to rush the ball back or not.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 12 Mar 2018 15:29

Sebastian the Red
LWJ

I definitely agree that the worst thing about the club are the ball-children.

Thanks Seb, I can always rely on you to back me up buddy x

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Mar 2018 15:37

Denver Royal
Victor Meldrew I have maintained all season that one of the (many) faults in our team is that players don't work hard enough to make themselves available and are just happy to pass and not move.

Agreed, and its an excellent point, Victor.

Roy Keane, in his 2nd book (I think) outlines this. In the book, and I'm paraphrasing, he said footy for him was/is essentially about 3 things, and that he basically made a career out of doing it:
1. Get the ball
2. Pass it to a teamate
3. Move
And so yes, its the 3rd element that is lacking in our team. Too often, one of our player's will make the pass, and then remain static.

Absolutely this.
I have pinned it down that no one has confidence in team mates behind them, thus not wanting to bomb on and leave the defence exposed if we lose the ball.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2018 18:10

Victor Meldrew I went to see Bournemouth v Spurs yesterday-it was from the ridiculous to the sublime within 24 hours but the thing that hit me was the amount of effort put in by all players , especially so-called flair players.
Alli and Eriksen were everywhere and I have maintained all season that one of the (many) faults in our team is that players don't work hard enough to make themselves available and are just happy to pass and not move.

Precisely why our senior players haven't been sold to higher level clubs. Some of us follow the club whatever the division they play in. That's what being a supporter is about. Money is creating huge rifts within leagues not just divisions. Wolves paid £16 million for a 20 year old from Porto. While Reading work on bringing through academy players with potential. Which is where our future success lies.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Mar 2018 18:21

LWJ

This is spot on and something I have noticed which differs to most other clubs. At other grounds the ball boys actively try to do what they can for their team - not give the ball back quickly for us etc.

Out ball boys seem passive and nonchalant. In keeping with most the fan base tbf.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 12 Mar 2018 18:49

CountryRoyal
LWJ

This is spot on and something I have noticed which differs to most other clubs. At other grounds the ball boys actively try to do what they can for their team - not give the ball back quickly for us etc.

Out ball boys seem passive and nonchalant. In keeping with most the fan base tbf.

I'm in for the ball boy slating too. They are awful. Maybe I have a tinted memory of 05/06 (and I know we had multi ball then too) but we generated tempo just from recycling the ball quickly and they played a key role. They seem to be sitting on their hands most of the time and look at each other whenever the ball goes out of play.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Mar 2018 19:15

Vicky Pollard
CountryRoyal
LWJ IMO our ball-boys/girls are useless. Slow to get to the ball and return it especially when we are attacking. I want to see them jump the advertising and speed the game up. Not wait for it to roll past before they walk to the ball and then walk back!

I'm in for the ball boy slating too. They are awful. Maybe I have a tinted memory of 05/06 (and I know we had multi ball then too) but we generated tempo just from recycling the ball quickly and they played a key role. They seem to be sitting on their hands most of the time and look at each other whenever the ball goes out of play.

It helped in 05/06 that we were still able to use the multi-ball system.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Mar 2018 19:24

Hound Can't say I've ever noticed

I know a lot of clubs use the academy boys and girls as the ball boys and girls. Do we? Would guarantee a basic understanding of the game and even when to rush the ball back or not.

We hold open trials which don't seem to really do anything. I know we've used players who are just below academy level as part of the mix in the recent past. I know the club got into some hot water back in the Coppell days because it was perceived that our ball boys were too partisan so maybe that affects the current lot.