BFTG Wolves

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Wolves

by Brum Royal » 13 Mar 2018 22:23

Ok the train back to Brum.

Zero attacking intent throughout. First half we tried to be compact and it worked to an extent but there was no drive or impetus to them hit quickly on the counter attack. Second half we clearly were holding for damage limitation but were not as defensively tight and Wolves could and should have won by mote. Basically it was a 90 minute game of attack v defence and it was an utterly predictable result. Wolves always felt like they were cruising through it and never really had to step it up to beat us. Too often had to resort to going longon the vague vicinity of JDB as the man on the ball had no options to pass to.

Jakkola - 4. A good double save on a one on one, but at least one goal was his fault (the second) having come partway to get the ball then bailing out and getting stuck in no man's land
Gunter - 5. Quiet game as most of the time we tried to go down the left
Blackett - 5. Given very little defensive protection by Aluko and left 2 on 1 quite often
Illori & Moore - 5. No major howlers but never really looked comfortable
Clement - 4. Largely anonymous
Evans - 4. Largely anonymous
Aluko - 3. Ball watching defensively several times as balls in behind left him on the back foot often and Blackett over exposed. Minimal contribution going forward
Edwards - 5. Tried hard.
Barrow - 5. Marked out of the game and given minimal decent quality ball to feet
JDB - 6. Had high balls fired in his general direction all night. Won a few headers. Hard to criticise him for appalling service he received.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Wolves

by BR0B0T » 13 Mar 2018 22:41

Were you able to spare enough time to visit the M&S in Dudley street?

(well worth the time)

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2018 22:45

Enough is Enough!

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 13 Mar 2018 22:50

Wasn't at the game so I'm not going to go all Ian Royal, but we have three options.

Keep Jaap, close our eyes and hope for the best.

Sack Jaap and put all our hopes in a caretaker type.

Sack Jaap and go for a.long term replacement straight away, giving the new man time to look at the squad before the summer.

Each has its risks, personally I'd go for option three and hope for the best.

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 13 Mar 2018 23:08

Awayawayaway Wasn't at the game so I'm not going to go all Ian Royal, but we have three options.

Sack Jaap and go for a.long term replacement straight away, giving the new man time to look at the squad before the summer.

didn't go either but result not too unexpected - just disappointed that we didn't have a go or probably incapable of doing so.........i'm with option 3 - can' t get any worse and might make the last few games more interesting and atmospheric! never know we might get the three wins we need if we can attack more often rather than side ways passing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 07:11

I’d think we’d do very well to nab anyone decent from another club at this stage of the season. Not saying it’s impossible but would be a big risk, and maybe end up in having to offer a longer contract etc than if we got someone in pre season

If anything is going to happen, would surely be after Norwich with the 2 week break. Can’t see it though

Delboy

by Delboy » 14 Mar 2018 07:47

If we wait until the summer to sack Stam or he goes himself no time for a new manager to assess the squad, as all backroom staff are poor . Need to make a change now after Norwich

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Mar 2018 07:59

Delboy If we wait until the summer to sack Stam or he goes himself no time for a new manager to assess the squad, as all backroom staff are poor . Need to make a change now after Norwich

Yeah.. professional managers famously are incapable of judging a squad when they have only been hired that summer...

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 08:25

Delboy If we wait until the summer to sack Stam or he goes himself no time for a new manager to assess the squad, as all backroom staff are poor . Need to make a change now after Norwich

It would be nice for the new manager to have a look at the squad in a competitive game situation, I agree.

Whilst it's not impossible for them to make an impact of appointed in the summer, it would help if they had time before.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Mar 2018 08:29

You can't assess thr squad on how they're playing now, it's nothing like what most are capable of.

It also takes five minutes to work out we need a fit striker, right back, left back and right winger/forward. And unless we get rid of literally everyone, Tevreden knows what we need and will already be working on it.

There's little chance in an up turn in form at this stage, so there's no point in asking someone to dirty themselves with this mess now.

Plus who we want may be drastically different whether we're in League Obe or the Championship next season

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2018 08:30

Snowflake Royal You can't assess thr squad on how they're playing now, it's nothing like what most are capable of.

Tevreden knows what we need and will already be working on it.

No he doesn't and no he isn't.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 08:31

Snowflake Royal You can't assess thr squad on how they're playing now, it's nothing like what most are capable of.

It also takes five minutes to work out we need a fit striker, right back, left back and right winger/forward. And unless we get rid of literally everyone, Tevreden knows what we need and will already be working on it.

There's little chance in an up turn in form at this stage, so there's no point in asking someone to dirty themselves with this mess now.

Plus who we want may be drastically different whether we're in League Obe or the Championship next season

Oh dear :lol:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Mar 2018 08:45

EverHopeful
Awayawayaway Wasn't at the game so I'm not going to go all Ian Royal, but we have three options.

didn't go either but result not too unexpected - just disappointed that we didn't have a go or probably incapable of doing so.........i'm with option 3 - can' t get any worse and might make the last few games more interesting and atmospheric! never know we might get the three wins we need if we can attack more often rather than side ways passing

Then why are you posting on this thread?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Mar 2018 08:46

Brum Royal Ok the train back to Brum.

Zero attacking intent throughout. First half we tried to be compact and it worked to an extent but there was no drive or impetus to them hit quickly on the counter attack. Second half we clearly were holding for damage limitation but were not as defensively tight and Wolves could and should have won by mote. Basically it was a 90 minute game of attack v defence and it was an utterly predictable result. Wolves always felt like they were cruising through it and never really had to step it up to beat us. Too often had to resort to going longon the vague vicinity of JDB as the man on the ball had no options to pass to.

Jakkola - 4. A good double save on a one on one, but at least one goal was his fault (the second) having come partway to get the ball then bailing out and getting stuck in no man's land
Gunter - 5. Quiet game as most of the time we tried to go down the left
Blackett - 5. Given very little defensive protection by Aluko and left 2 on 1 quite often
Illori & Moore - 5. No major howlers but never really looked comfortable
Clement - 4. Largely anonymous
Evans - 4. Largely anonymous
Aluko - 3. Ball watching defensively several times as balls in behind left him on the back foot often and Blackett over exposed. Minimal contribution going forward
Edwards - 5. Tried hard.
Barrow - 5. Marked out of the game and given minimal decent quality ball to feet
JDB - 6. Had high balls fired in his general direction all night. Won a few headers. Hard to criticise him for appalling service he received.

Thanks for feedback. You seem to be the only one that went!

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 14 Mar 2018 09:29

I went. I was sat in the Wolves end with mates.

That was probably the worst Reading performance I've ever seen. Worse even than anything under Burns or Bullivant. I think we made maybe three or four attacking moves the entire match.

It looked like the aim was to come away with a nil-nil and to be fair we did a reasonable job for 40 minutes but with both Ilori and Blackett in the starting XI there was always going to be a calamitous error. It came from Jaakola. A ridiculous chipped pass out that meant the defender had no time to control the ball before Wolves were all over him. Once we went behind there was no plan B

Unless plan B was to go away with a 1-0. There was certainly no effort to get a goal back. But that didn't work either.

Wolves positively purred. They play the football Stam wants us to but they've spent £millions getting the right players to do it. Their passing was accurate and snappy and they move through the thirds confidently. Their movement off the ball was fantastic.

The crowd was nervous before the match and the feeling amongst my mate's mates was that they'd rather have been facing Burton after the Villa game than us, a bit of a bogey team. Had we approached the match like we did the Leeds game we might have given them something to worry about. Stam's tactics quickly put them at ease and it was just a matter of waiting for the goals. We've given them just the confidence boost they needed.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 14 Mar 2018 09:37

The Reverend I went. I was sat in the Wolves end with mates.

That was probably the worst Reading performance I've ever seen. Worse even than anything under Burns or Bullivant. I think we made maybe three or four attacking moves the entire match.

It looked like the aim was to come away with a nil-nil and to be fair we did a reasonable job for 40 minutes but with both Ilori and Blackett in the starting XI there was always going to be a calamitous error. It came from Jaakola. A ridiculous chipped pass out that meant the defender had no time to control the ball before Wolves were all over him. Once we went behind there was no plan B

Unless plan B was to go away with a 1-0. There was certainly no effort to get a goal back. But that didn't work either.

Wolves positively purred. They play the football Stam wants us to but they've spent £millions getting the right players to do it. Their passing was accurate and snappy and they move through the thirds confidently. Their movement off the ball was fantastic.

The crowd was nervous before the match and the feeling amongst my mate's mates was that they'd rather have been facing Burton after the Villa game than us, a bit of a bogey team. Had we approached the match like we did the Leeds game we might have given them something to worry about. Stam's tactics quickly put them at ease and it was just a matter of waiting for the goals. We've given them just the confidence boost they needed.

Yup. Agreed with all of that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Mar 2018 09:45

It sounds an absolutely shameful display tbh

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Mar 2018 09:50

Snowflake Royal There's little chance in an up turn in form at this stage, so there's no point in asking someone to dirty themselves with this mess now.

For this reason, sacking Stam now would be a total disaster. There is no one worth bringing in, especially no one who would want to risk a relegation on their CV - it would be Adkins allover again: getting in the 'next best of a very bad bunch'.

Let's ride this season out - we aren't going down - and reassess in the summer.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Mar 2018 09:50

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Mar 2018 09:51

John Smith
Snowflake Royal There's little chance in an up turn in form at this stage, so there's no point in asking someone to dirty themselves with this mess now.

For this reason, sacking Stam now would be a total disaster. There is no one worth bringing in, especially no one who would want to risk a relegation on their CV - it would be Adkins allover again: getting in the 'next best of a very bad bunch'.

Let's ride this season out - we aren't going down - and reassess in the summer.

I'm inclined to agree that sacking Stam probably won't make much of a difference right now, but a total disaster? What exactly is the situation we're in now?