80s

Dixon and Senior

90s

Quinn and Morley

00s

Cureton and Kitson

10s

Le Fondre

Think all the above in their prime would struggle badly to score given the dreadful trouble the current bunch have to create anything

Never rated Morley and would put Archie and Nogan ahead of him.
Morley was a diver ( a very successful one) and the main strategy of the team at the time was to try to get free-kicks and penalties.
This was in total contrast to the free-flowing football of the previous season that got us so close to promotion.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Dave Kitson at the ex RFC players association thing

by Muskrat » 16 Mar 2018 21:13

Yeah Quinn and Lovell for me as well. Still liked "Nudger" though. Was at Fratton Park when he got his fractured skull :( .

Oh and Friday and Kearns for the 70's obvs...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Mar 2018 21:25

Sounds very interesting. It doesn’t sound like he was holding back. Thanks to those that went for sharing some of Kitson’s views. His career nosedived after he left us. Not sure why it went so wrong.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Mar 2018 21:55

Our best ever ‘all-round’ striker since the 70’s

a proper Kermorgant at his best on steroids

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2018 23:14

Wasn't he our top scorer in four out of his five and a half seasons with us? With the fifth full season spent injured 80% of it?

Not including loan spell.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Mar 2018 01:04

It came across that he really wanted Reading to go up and stay up, and that was his only plan.

Once that didn’t happen- he went to Stoke it all just fell apart.

Ady Williams was an excellent compere. Judged it absolutely spot on when Kitson was sharing quite dark stuff and managing the conversation.

So fcuk you all you bbc radio berks haters.

That said Kitson really was very compelling listening.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Mar 2018 01:16

Fair enough Leon. I’m not an Ady Williams fan. Listening to him fawning about Jilly Cooper did my head in and he is desperate to be a celebrity. Occasionally he does come out with enlightened comment.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 17 Mar 2018 02:38

Zip Sounds very interesting. It doesn’t sound like he was holding back. Thanks to those that went for sharing some of Kitson’s views.

+1 Really appreciate the sharing. I wish I had been there!

double d

by double d » 17 Mar 2018 03:13

From Despair To Where?
Sutekh Reading usually muster two consistent top class strikers in each decade

80s

Dixon and Senior

90s

Quinn and Morley

00s

Cureton and Kitson

10s

Le Fondre and Basaya

Think all the above in their prime would struggle badly to score given the dreadful trouble the current bunch have to create anything

Corrected for you.

Le fonz and roberts no?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Mar 2018 07:38

Zip Sounds very interesting. It doesn’t sound like he was holding back. Thanks to those that went for sharing some of Kitson’s views. His career nosedived after he left us. Not sure why it went so wrong.

He said it all went wrong after the drink driving episode.That was the catalyst for his move to Stoke.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2018 08:09

leon It came across that he really wanted Reading to go up and stay up, and that was his only plan.

Ady Williams was an excellent compere. Judged it absolutely spot on when Kitson was sharing quite dark stuff and managing the conversation.

I’ve said before that I can’t stand AW on BBCRB because he is always trying to be too controversial/talk sporty and making controversial statements which just sounds like begging for people to phone/text, it grates on me and I just don’t think that is right for local radio. However, I have met him a few times personally and he has always come across as a knowledgeable, decent guy, so it doesn’t surprise me he was a decent compare.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Mar 2018 08:52

Hendo
leon It came across that he really wanted Reading to go up and stay up, and that was his only plan.

I’ve said before that I can’t stand AW on BBCRB because he is always trying to be too controversial/talk sporty and making controversial statements which just sounds like begging for people to phone/text, it grates on me and I just don’t think that is right for local radio. However, I have met him a few times personally and he has always come across as a knowledgeable, decent guy, so it doesn’t surprise me he was a decent compare.

He’s a Berkshire boy. He loves Reading. A constant theme was how poor the current side is.

He’s not trying to be controversial he knows what good looks like and he knows that the current set up is shit, on and off the pitch.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Mar 2018 08:55

tee peg
Zip Sounds very interesting. It doesn’t sound like he was holding back. Thanks to those that went for sharing some of Kitson’s views. His career nosedived after he left us. Not sure why it went so wrong.

He said it all went wrong after the drink driving episode.That was the catalyst for his move to Stoke.

More than that, he blames himself and that episode for our relegation.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Mar 2018 12:57

leon
Hendo

He’s a Berkshire boy. He loves Reading. A constant theme was how poor the current side is.

He’s not trying to be controversial he knows what good looks like and he knows that the current set up is shit, on and off the pitch.

I’ve hardly listened to the radio this year but there were times last year that he was just saying things for the sake of getting a rise out of Tim and Mick and the texters and it almost sounded like no one with a football brain would say those things.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Mar 2018 15:07

Really good evening and thanks to all who organised it. I reckon these nights are getting better and better! Suggested to Richard Wickson that he should get Pardew to do one of these - he didn't exactly say it was out of the question, so .... !

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Mar 2018 16:29

Although he's clearly not TSF and that book deals with a completely fictional construct - shall we call him Kave Ditson?, the first Secret Footballer book details to an almost forensic degree what might happen to a completely unrelated player when they move for big money to a club and it not quite work out, through spats with the manager descending into full on arguments, through being relegated to training with the youth team and then being completely ostracised from the club, and on to a minor addiction to painkillers and what can only be described as depression.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Mar 2018 16:55

stealthpapes

Although he's clearly not TSF and that book deals with a completely fictional construct - shall we call him Kave Ditson?, the first Secret Footballer book details to an almost forensic degree what might happen to a completely unrelated player when they move for big money to a club and it not quite work out, through spats with the manager descending into full on arguments, through being relegated to training with the youth team and then being completely ostracised from the club, and on to a minor addiction to painkillers and what can only be described as depression.

The TSF is a composite character of several footballers and the writers have taken the experiences “donated” by those footballers to manufacture a player’s career

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 18 Mar 2018 06:44

strap Really good evening and thanks to all who organised it. I reckon these nights are getting better and better! Suggested to Richard Wickson that he should get Pardew to do one of these - he didn't exactly say it was out of the question, so .... !

That is being discussed........

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2018 08:50

I know it'll never happen as he must be about 80 now, and probably happily living back in Ireland, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have one of these events with Charlie Hurley.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 18 Mar 2018 09:30

Sutekh I know it'll never happen as he must be about 80 now, and probably happily living back in Ireland, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have one of these events with Charlie Hurley.

Charlie, now 81, lives in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, - about a mile from me. I'm afraid I don't know the address or contact details. There was an item on him in our local paper a year or two back. Although Charlie was born in Ireland, the family moved to Essex when he was 6 months old. His wife is an Essex lady and they live just over the border from Essex in Hertfordshire.