Dave Kitson at the ex RFC players association thing

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Dave Kitson at the ex RFC players association thing

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2018 10:59

Sutekh I know it'll never happen as he must be about 80 now, and probably happily living back in Ireland, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have one of these events with Charlie Hurley.
my god, yes!
Imagine the tales that he could tell

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Mar 2018 14:53

Sutekh I know it'll never happen as he must be about 80 now, and probably happily living back in Ireland, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have one of these events with Charlie Hurley.

Goodness me yes, yes it would!!

Managed to speak to him just as the players were coming off at full time time at Gresty Road, Crewe, January 1975. We creamed Crewe in the first half with Alan Taylor running rings round them, but Hurley subbed him at h/t with the score 0-0. In those days one could walk all round Gresty Road, and at one end the "terrace" was a few rows of railway sleepers with ash forming the steps! Anyway a the end of teh match as he was coming off the pitch I asked him why he'd subbed Taylor - all he said was "oxf*rd off son" - haha I was chuffed to bits that I'd been sworn at by the legend that was Charlie Hurley!

He resigned at half time when we were 24th in Old D3 and losing 0-3 to Bury at Elm Park late Feb 1977, and never managed again. Would be interesting to find out his thoughts on that, and of course his man management of Robin Friday.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2018 16:14

Imagine managing Percy Freeman was a handful

Andy Alleyne must’ve brought a bit of a different slant to his techniques too

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2018 14:49

Zip Fair enough Leon. I’m not an Ady Williams fan. Listening to him fawning about Jilly Cooper did my head in and he is desperate to be a celebrity. Occasionally he does come out with enlightened comment.

Not sure about the desperate to be a celebrity bit but he is certainly focused on going as far as possible in the media.

When I was doing the old Royals Fancast/Royals Post podcasts, we had Ady in as a guest to talk about his career. Despite the fact it was just recorded in my mates kitchen, once he turned up he was really professional and wanted to learn what we were doing and how we recorded/edited the shows. Even brought a suit with him for the interview, in case it was needed.

Really decent bloke.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jun 2018 19:57

Stranded
Zip Fair enough Leon. I’m not an Ady Williams fan. Listening to him fawning about Jilly Cooper did my head in and he is desperate to be a celebrity. Occasionally he does come out with enlightened comment.

Not sure about the desperate to be a celebrity bit but he is certainly focused on going as far as possible in the media.

When I was doing the old Royals Fancast/Royals Post podcasts, we had Ady in as a guest to talk about his career. Despite the fact it was just recorded in my mates kitchen, once he turned up he was really professional and wanted to learn what we were doing and how we recorded/edited the shows. Even brought a suit with him for the interview, in case it was needed.

Really decent bloke.

Hats off to him for that.