JVDB's latest remarks!

Eaststandman

JVDB's latest remarks!

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 16:31

Well if world football superstar and occasional team member says "Stam's the man" l'm 100% convinced! How about you?

Old Man Andrews

Re: JVDB's latest remarks!

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 16:47

Of course he will say that. He knows Jaap Stam is the only manager in world football negligent enough to give him first team football.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 19 Mar 2018 16:59

Old Man Andrews Of course he will say that. He knows Jaap Stam is the only manager in world football negligent enough to give him first team football.

Spot on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2018 17:08

of course, its commonplace for players to say their manager should be sacked when interviewed.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 17:36

It's neither usual or necessary for a player to buff up his opinion of the manager the way he does either!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 18:54

Eaststandman It's neither usual or necessary for a player to buff up his opinion of the manager the way he does either!

It's extremely usual and the done thing.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 19:09

Did you read his remarks? He only just stops short of suggesting we should use Stam's shite for toothpaste!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 19:13

Eaststandman Did you read his remarks? He only just stops short of suggesting we should use Stam's shite for toothpaste!

Yep I read it. It is the same response you will see from any player at any club in the world.

Not sure what you thought he would say?

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 19:44

Do you agree with him?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 19:57

Eaststandman Do you agree with him?

Nope not even slightly but if I were Van Den Berg I'd be saying the same thing. Without Stam Joey wouldn't be playing professional football.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Mar 2018 19:59

I think Joey has made a huge error by coming forward with this statement. He is literally the last person in the club who's opinion of the manager holds any weight.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 20:10

Old Man Andrews

Nope not even slightly but if I were Van Den Berg I'd be saying the same thing. Without Stam Joey wouldn't be playing professional football.

Ah! So that's what he's been doing!
Seriously would you not just say no comment or we are all doing our best or some such, why would anybody lay it on so thick, unless he's taking the piss?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 20:16

Eaststandman
Old Man Andrews

Ah! So that's what he's been doing!
Seriously would you not just say no comment or we are all doing our best or some such, why would anybody lay it on so thick, unless he's taking the piss?

He is part of the club's Dutch mafia. Stam is the reason why he's on at least 25k a week so he is obliged to big Stam up. Not backing the manager would be career suicide for him.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 20:37

Clearly the Dutch mafia don't have omerta!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2018 20:38

The interview is the same as the one given to Dellor and co after the match. He was basically asked straight out whether he thought Stam should be booted out. Couldn’t really answer anything else

Tbf he was about as honest as you could hope for in his answers. Not saying they are
My opinions though

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Mar 2018 20:40

NewCorkSeth I think Joey has made a huge error by coming forward with this statement. He is literally the last person in the club who's opinion of the manager holds any weight.

Not necessarily. He doesn't have to be a great player for his opinion or knowledge of footy to carry weight. Some of the big managers were average players: Sir Alex, Pep, Muirinho, etc. Andre Villas-Boas never even played footy.

If you were talking strictly about the 'Dutch connection' then that is a another matter, but his play on the field wouldn't be a direct correlation. Barrow might be our best player this season, yet he might know little or nothing about management.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Mar 2018 20:47

Perhaps the players are still right behind Stam. Gunter made it clear he supported him at the Burton.
I’m not aware of any rumours of dressing room splits.

Is it simply that the players are not good enough? The likes of Edwards, Bodvarsson, Bacuna and Mannone were out of favour at their clubs for a reason. Kermorgant is not remotely the player that he was. This is a huge factor in our decline. Take out his goals from last season and we would have really struggled in 2016/17.

We have also failed to replace Williams who in my view was under-rated but much of our fanbase. So we look lightweight and lack balance in midfield

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2018 20:51

I think the players are behind him still. He sounds like a very decent bloke to be your manager (as long as you aren’t Adrian Popa).

Still doesn’t mean his general management hasn’t been diabolical this year though

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 19 Mar 2018 20:56

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth I think Joey has made a huge error by coming forward with this statement. He is literally the last person in the club who's opinion of the manager holds any weight.

Not necessarily. He doesn't have to be a great player for his opinion or knowledge of footy to carry weight. Some of the big managers were average players: Sir Alex, Pep, Muirinho, etc. Andre Villas-Boas never even played footy.

If you were talking strictly about the 'Dutch connection' then that is a another matter, but his play on the field wouldn't be a direct correlation. Barrow might be our best player this season, yet he might know little or nothing about management.

Pep ???? Really ?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Mar 2018 20:59

Chuckle Brother
Denver Royal

Pep ???? Really ?

Yeah a really odd statement.