JVDB's latest remarks!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: JVDB's latest remarks!

by Hound » 19 Mar 2018 21:03

Sir Alex was a handy player as well. Different era and all that but had a decent record in Scotland

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Mar 2018 21:06

Chuckle Brother
Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth I think Joey has made a huge error by coming forward with this statement. He is literally the last person in the club who's opinion of the manager holds any weight.

Not necessarily. He doesn't have to be a great player for his opinion or knowledge of footy to carry weight. Some of the big managers were average players: Sir Alex, Pep, Muirinho, etc. Andre Villas-Boas never even played footy.

If you were talking strictly about the 'Dutch connection' then that is a another matter, but his play on the field wouldn't be a direct correlation. Barrow might be our best player this season, yet he might know little or nothing about management.

Pep ???? Really ?

Yeah, Pep I'll give you. I actually liked him as a player, but I'm not sure he was always considered a 'superstar' by some. Anyways, maybe you get the gist of my point. Fergy and Muirinho? And as I say, Villas-Boas never even played footy. He's obviously very much an outlier, but it happens.

The Brit guy doing wonders at that club in Sweden, who just played Arsenal in the EL, was very much a journeyman player, right?

On the flip side of this, are managers who were much better players. Bryan Robson, who I thought was a tremendous player and an obvious managerial candidate, comes to mind. Roy Keane wouldn't be considered a great manager (thus far), either.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 19 Mar 2018 21:58, edited 3 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2018 21:07

Fergie was decent. Mourinho wasn’t

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Mar 2018 21:08

Hound I think the players are behind him still. He sounds like a very decent bloke to be your manager (as long as you aren’t Adrian Popa).

Still doesn’t mean his general management hasn’t been diabolical this year though

Oh he’s been a disaster. Sadly last season was a blip. Our recent trend has been downwards. We narrowly avoided being dragged into relegation battles in 2014/15 and 15/16. We are in one in 17/18.
I really thought our days of lower division football were over. To think we could be playing at the same level as Accrington Stanley seriously pisses me off.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 19 Mar 2018 21:23

could be true

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Mar 2018 21:49

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth I think Joey has made a huge error by coming forward with this statement. He is literally the last person in the club who's opinion of the manager holds any weight.

Not necessarily. He doesn't have to be a great player for his opinion or knowledge of footy to carry weight. Some of the big managers were average players: Sir Alex, Pep, Muirinho, etc. Andre Villas-Boas never even played footy.

If you were talking strictly about the 'Dutch connection' then that is a another matter, but his play on the field wouldn't be a direct correlation. Barrow might be our best player this season, yet he might know little or nothing about management.

No, sorry, I didn't mean either of those things. His opinion of the manager is worth so little because he is the most likely to stick up for Stam. He's at the only club in the championship where the manager would give him game time.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 19 Mar 2018 22:28

Was never going to give an answer otherwise but some of the depths the players are going to defend Jaap Stam are embarrassing.

Its almost as if some of these players have been brainwashed by Stam and his backroom staff. David Edwards spouts absolute garbage to the press, a nice bloke and a great cause but he would do well to focus on his football rather than releasing his book and talking about how he has improved as a player. The reality is you've barely featured and been part of a squad that has won once in 18 games now.

Story of the season, lots of staff and players talking about how they are going to put things right and improve on the pitch to the press and social media ahead of matches. We've been waiting since November 17 for a half decent performance.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 22:33

It is utterly baffling that some of you think a paid employee is going to break ranks and start slagging off the manager. Just dumb.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Mar 2018 22:35

Totally agree, Bracksroyal but there are still fans defending him too! But apparently those of us questioning JVDB's response are just dumb, l guess time will tell. Still don't believe he couldn't have fudged a response, hit the party line and have retained a little dignity!
Last edited by Eaststandman on 19 Mar 2018 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Mar 2018 22:39

Eaststandman Totally agree, but there are still fans defending him too!

Not seen any. The last two staunch Stam In folks turned at the weekend on social media.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Mar 2018 02:30

Eaststandman Totally agree, Bracksroyal but there are still fans defending him too! But apparently those of us questioning JVDB's response are just dumb.

Didn't see where anybody called you dumb? Burden of proof on you, and all that. You started a thread, I assume, to solicit response. You didn't respond or engage throughout. It seems it fell some way short of your desired expectation. I'm guessing you thought JVDB would be a safe easy target. Its been a couple weeks, about time, right? Everyone would pile on like a herd of sheep with yet more negativity...as if any more were needed right now. Yet it seems it came up a little bit short of your intended agenda. And that's ok, it happens, right? :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Mar 2018 08:59

Denver Royal
Eaststandman Totally agree, Bracksroyal but there are still fans defending him too! But apparently those of us questioning JVDB's response are just dumb.

Didn't see where anybody called you dumb? Burden of proof on you, and all that. You started a thread, I assume, to solicit response. You didn't respond or engage throughout. It seems it fell some way short of your desired expectation. I'm guessing you thought JVDB would be a safe easy target. Its been a couple weeks, about time, right? Everyone would pile on like a herd of sheep with yet more negativity...as if any more were needed right now. Yet it seems it came up a little bit short of your intended agenda. And that's ok, it happens, right? :wink:

This is a bit desperate DR.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Mar 2018 09:05

leon
Denver Royal

This is a bit desperate DR.

Very patronising too. Shouldn't expect anything less from Denver Royal though, it is his thing.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 20 Mar 2018 10:47

Denver has low O2 levels and perhaps this explains DR's response? Never mind, maybe he will 're read the thread. My point was simply that JVDB's remarks were, IMHO way beyond the necessity to being positive, they were so optimistic, it sounds as though critics are being unfair or unreasonable, but the table never lies, does it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2018 11:19

hmm listening to the interview at the time, the one thing he didn't come across as was optimistic tbh

was pretty downbeat

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 20 Mar 2018 11:56

Jeepers, no wonder it hard to get a consensus! His words, the words he used, were optimistic, "Stam is the best man" etc etc! I really can't be arsed to argue the nit picking points, our team is shite the manager is responsible, fire his arse and move on!

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Mar 2018 12:31

Player backing current manager shocker!!!! Can anyone ever recall a time a player has not backed his current manager.
Think the whole interview was a PR piece to show the players know they are playing rubbish and its not good enough. Also maybe it was more about players taking responsibility for mistakes - which i find very spineless form Stam - as it is pretty much his response to every loss.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 21 Mar 2018 13:37

Big thank you to the catalyst of remarkable timing, JVDB!