Next Season's Squad

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad

by muirinho » 20 Mar 2018 11:25

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews I would like to bet something reasonably quite substantial that Gunter will not be here come the start of next season. Supporters have turned on him, he has turned on the supporters on a few ocassions now too and the relationship is coming to an end. He's expensive on the wages too. Why do we need him with Watson back fit next season? Might as well sell him and make a saving.

Will Watson actually be and stay fit? He isn't fit currently, and hasn't been for over a year

I'd happily keep Bacuna to play there though

Can't see him staying either tbh. Doesn't come across as someone who could do it on a cold Tuesday up in Bradford.

You're right on Watson, fitness is key and we just don't know yet on that front. Either way Gunter will go imo. There are far cheaper option on loan or perm.

If he goes, it'd be on cost grounds, not on "relationship" grounds. He's turned on the fans a couple of times because he' cares, and he's frustrated. He'd be far more likely to leave if he didn't care. If he's just there for the money, why would he give a monkey's what the fans say - either way he still gets paid.

Would definitely need somebody else in that position without him, Watson is injury-prone, and I can't see Bacuna staying. Who have we got coming through the academy?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Mar 2018 11:31

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Hound
Will Watson actually be and stay fit? He isn't fit currently, and hasn't been for over a year

I'd happily keep Bacuna to play there though

Can't see him staying either tbh. Doesn't come across as someone who could do it on a cold Tuesday up in Bradford.

You're right on Watson, fitness is key and we just don't know yet on that front. Either way Gunter will go imo. There are far cheaper option on loan or perm.

If he goes, it'd be on cost grounds, not on "relationship" grounds. He's turned on the fans a couple of times because he' cares, and he's frustrated. He'd be far more likely to leave if he didn't care. If he's just there for the money, why would he give a monkey's what the fans say - either way he still gets paid.

Would definitely need somebody else in that position without him, Watson is injury-prone, and I can't see Bacuna staying. Who have we got coming through the academy?

First rule of being a professional footballer, don't bite back at your own fans. There is no excuse for it.

For what its worth the criticism of him is absolutely pathetic as he is a very consistent player for us. Totally unremarkable but like you say you cannot doubt his commitment or that he cares. He is an easy target for a lot of disgrunted supporters.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Mar 2018 12:08

It would be safe to say we would do well to keep hold of - Kelly, Barrow, Swift, and Moore even if we stay up.
There is a long list of players that most people wont be too bothered or expected if they moved on.
Aluko, Obita, Gunter, Kermie, Mannone Joey could all go with out being desperate to replace them if relegated

I think having such a large squad where most of them are actually rated as decent players. Add in the factor we have got quite a few young talents either homegrown or bought in young, the future does look OK in either league. Obvs DIv1 would finacially be a huge dent and a major set back.
Relegation would absolutely guarantee that Joey would be still here next season though.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Mar 2018 13:04

I said this a while back that this could end up being the making of reading again. Relegation maybe a blessing in disguise. Clear out over rated dead weight. Including the manager. Bring in a home grown manager who is rated with youth. I know a lot wouldn't agree but Tim
Sherwood would be a good fit. Works well with youth and knows English football like the back of his hand. Do everything possible to keep Jon Dadi, barrow, Moore, obita, bacuna, Kelly and swift, ( I know we will lose 1 or 2 of them) the rest can go and replace with youngsters or players who are breaking into the first team. Come back fighting with a team that want to play for the badge.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Mar 2018 14:13

SCIAG No direct reason to be concerned about our academy as long as we keep putting the money in.

...which might be a problem, right? Did someone say recently in here that Academy Category 1 costs around 4 - 5mil a year? And that's at current rates, which will only rise? I'd hope we would keep it, too, like most fans would. When any club gets relegated, there is cost evaluation and re-assessment because you are then operating with different budgets and planning models. From a fiscal standpoint, I'd imagine Category 1 would be a conversation at some point...esp. if we didn't bounce right back up...at which point it might be contingent on a time frame. They'd have to take a look and see to what extent it is/was bearing fruit. How many League 1 clubs, and lower, currently have Category 1? If we got rid, how easy/difficult would it be to re-instate down the road?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Mar 2018 14:30, edited 4 times in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Mar 2018 14:19

Presuming someone wants any of this bunch of course. Difficult to shift Aluko and others on long term deals as well. But then with some fresh management it might all be different.

But then we all know Jaap Stam will still be here in August.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Mar 2018 14:27

Sutekh Presuming someone wants any of this bunch of course. Difficult to shift Aluko and others on long term deals as well. But then with some fresh management it might all be different.

But then we all know Jaap Stam will still be here in August.

partly why I reckon we'd loan a few - expect there would be clubs who would take Aluko and pay the majority of his wages for a year. Be a low risk gamble. Some of the others as well

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2018 14:48

Sutekh But then we all know Jaap Stam will still be here in August.

If Stam is here in August we'd be more likely to be relegated again than come back up.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Mar 2018 17:14

Denver Royal
SCIAG No direct reason to be concerned about our academy as long as we keep putting the money in.

...which might be a problem, right? Did someone say recently in here that Academy Category 1 costs around 4 - 5mil a year?

£2.5m a year in theory. Might be higher in practice but £2.5m is the minimum operational budget the guidelines specify.

How many League 1 clubs, and lower, currently have Category 1?

Blackburn currently do. Sunderland probably will do next season. Southampton met the criteria when the idea was first floated (one of only three clubs in the country who did).
As for how hard it would be to get it back - depends what you've let go in order to drop down. If we sold land and buildings then it would be very difficult. If we just let our most-replaceable staff go then in theory it would be quite easy to hire replacements, but it might be harder to get the FA to grant us our status again.

There are much better ways to cut costs, like selling players, or insurance fraud.
strap
SCIAG I'm fairly sure Buchanan and Scheving are both long gone - the sort of player whose departure the club don't bother announcing.

Buchanan was an unused sub in the AMC match v Gillingham, and still appears on the OS in the U23 squad, so I'm guessing he's still with us. As for Scheving, not sure. He was at Cirencester last year on loan, but will need to trawl a bit deeper to find more info about him.

Yep good shout - Sindi has gone - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sindri-scheving/profil/spieler/243648

Yeah you're quite right, I saw Jack play a few weeks ago :oops: Must have been thinking of someone a few years older than him.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 20 Mar 2018 19:16

I am sure if we are relegated half of the Team will not be wanting their salary cut by half so selling them wont
be an option but a necessity. they will want to leave.

As for next season squad I don't think League 1 is as easy as some people think, so if RFC want a Plan B I would
build now and not wait till end of Season

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Mar 2018 19:29

mambo3 I am sure if we are relegated half of the Team will not be wanting their salary cut by half so selling them wont
be an option but a necessity. they will want to leave.

Unless there are specific relegation clauses in their contract then we'd still have to pay them the same amount. That's the single biggest negative contributing factor to a relegated clubs finances.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2018 21:44

And you can only sell someone if there's a buyer.

I'd love to see the back of Gunter, Aluko and, Sadly, McCleary. Not sure there'll be buyers tho.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Mar 2018 19:24

I’ve been wondering a bit this season whether our “injuries” are down to players have appearance related clauses either in their transfers or their own contracts. And because we are allegedly short of cash then players are not being Picked? Bacuna springs to mind, possibly Mannone and Edwards.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Mar 2018 20:03

North Royal Lad barrow Swift Moore kelly all stay i hope ...

If we were to be relegated, we'd hardly have a choice, our wage bill is already pretty high for this league, let alone League One. Then there's the high earning under performers who we might not be able to shift leaving us with no option but to sell the ones who we can get some money for.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Mar 2018 20:32

3points I’ve been wondering a bit this season whether our “injuries” are down to players have appearance related clauses either in their transfers or their own contracts. And because we are allegedly short of cash then players are not being Picked? Bacuna springs to mind, possibly Mannone and Edwards.

Well I've said it before - surely all these draws are to avoid paying win bonuses to the players.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Mar 2018 11:46

Royalwaster
3points I’ve been wondering a bit this season whether our “injuries” are down to players have appearance related clauses either in their transfers or their own contracts. And because we are allegedly short of cash then players are not being Picked? Bacuna springs to mind, possibly Mannone and Edwards.

Well I've said it before - surely all these draws are to avoid paying win bonuses to the players.

:D

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 23 Mar 2018 12:05

Hopefully Popa will be given a fair chance, and I guess we should see more of Novakovitch given his performances this year as well

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Mar 2018 14:57

Leandro Bacuna is our best player and the squad should be built around him

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Mar 2018 15:09

John Smith Leandro Bacuna is our best player and the squad should be built around him

Playing what position? Noticing lately some have him back in defense again, right-back, in their 'best' possible lineups.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Mar 2018 15:15

Denver Royal
John Smith Leandro Bacuna is our best player and the squad should be built around him

Playing what position? Noticing lately some have him back in defense again, right-back, in their 'best' possible lineups.

DMC

Cheers