Next Season's Squad

jar95

Re: Next Season's Squad

by jar95 » 23 Mar 2018 16:39

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Can't see him staying either tbh. Doesn't come across as someone who could do it on a cold Tuesday up in Bradford.

You're right on Watson, fitness is key and we just don't know yet on that front. Either way Gunter will go imo. There are far cheaper option on loan or perm.

If he goes, it'd be on cost grounds, not on "relationship" grounds. He's turned on the fans a couple of times because he' cares, and he's frustrated. He'd be far more likely to leave if he didn't care. If he's just there for the money, why would he give a monkey's what the fans say - either way he still gets paid.

Would definitely need somebody else in that position without him, Watson is injury-prone, and I can't see Bacuna staying. Who have we got coming through the academy?

First rule of being a professional footballer, don't bite back at your own fans. There is no excuse for it.

For what its worth the criticism of him is absolutely pathetic as he is a very consistent player for us. Totally unremarkable but like you say you cannot doubt his commitment or that he cares. He is an easy target for a lot of disgrunted supporters.

Isnt this the same Chris Gunter who turned down boro in the summer for more money. Very harsh to say he's here for the money

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Mar 2018 17:38

jar95
Old Man Andrews
muirinho
If he goes, it'd be on cost grounds, not on "relationship" grounds. He's turned on the fans a couple of times because he' cares, and he's frustrated. He'd be far more likely to leave if he didn't care. If he's just there for the money, why would he give a monkey's what the fans say - either way he still gets paid.

Would definitely need somebody else in that position without him, Watson is injury-prone, and I can't see Bacuna staying. Who have we got coming through the academy?

First rule of being a professional footballer, don't bite back at your own fans. There is no excuse for it.

For what its worth the criticism of him is absolutely pathetic as he is a very consistent player for us. Totally unremarkable but like you say you cannot doubt his commitment or that he cares. He is an easy target for a lot of disgrunted supporters.

Isnt this the same Chris Gunter who turned down boro in the summer for more money. Very harsh to say he's here for the money

I wasn't saying that, if that's aimed at me. I was responding to a suggestion that he would leave as the relationship between him and the fans had broken down, and therefore he didn't care anymore, and would leave if we got relegated.

Chris Gunter is the epitome of a footballer who cares - he'd probably be better off if he wasn't, because he wouldn't get wound up by idiotic fans, and could ignore them and carry on as normal. But he is what he is.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Mar 2018 20:16

SCIAG No direct reason to be concerned about our academy as long as we keep putting the money in. We don't need to be in the Championship to keep Category One - sensible given how recently Southampton were in League One.

I'm fairly sure Buchanan and Scheving are both long gone - the sort of player whose departure the club don't bother announcing.

Agree that Moore, Gunter, and Barrow will go and we'd be lucky to keep Swift. Bacuna and Gunter could probably also attract some form of move - Bacuna to a mid-ranked Dutch side or Greece or Turkey or somewhere, Gunter to a mid-table Championship side although not sure he'd be in a rush to leave.

I think we have to keep McCleary - it's worth the risk of him being injured all season. If we stay up then it's a different matter. While I'd like us to shift as much of the dead wood as possible, I'm not particularly concerned if they stay - Ilori and Blackett would be amazing League One players.

With that in mind, my squad would be something like this.

GK: Mannone, Southwood
Full back: Gunter, Watson, Richards, Blackett
Centre back: McShane, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes
Midfield: Evans, Kelly, Edwards, Holsgrove
Wingers: McCleary, Harriott, Meite, Obita
Forwards: Novakovich, Jon Dadi, Kermorgant, Smith, Loader
Josh Barrett: Josh Barrett

With that in mind, I'd say we'd need an experienced centre back, at least one midfielder, a winger, and probably a pacey forward. If we kept Ilori and Aluko (and let's face it, who would buy them?) then that could solve two problems.

I don't want to get relegated, and don't think we will, but if we could keep those young players fit and in or around the side then we'd have a very exciting season.

Scheving plays in Iceland. Richards dislodged him from the u23 team and we released him shortly after.

Loads of youths missing. Like Pendlebury, Osorio, Dorsett, Collins.

Also, you can't have cat one if you're below the second tier.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Mar 2018 20:20

Also, Josh Barrett is my favourite category of Josh Barrett.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 23 Mar 2018 21:19

maffff

I think you may be mistaken. Blackburn Rovers currently in 3rd tier, and Wolves only recently came up from same. Both have Cat 1 status.

https://playerscout.co.uk/football-academies/football-academy-categories/

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Mar 2018 17:30

strap
maffff

I think you may be mistaken. Blackburn Rovers currently in 3rd tier, and Wolves only recently came up from same. Both have Cat 1 status.

https://playerscout.co.uk/football-academies/football-academy-categories/

Ah, apologies. I may have misunderstood. That's reassuring.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Mar 2018 18:31

maffff
Scheving plays in Iceland. Richards dislodged him from the u23 team and we released him shortly after.

Don't think that's really true, Richards has basically always been ahead of Scheving in the pecking order and we were using McIntyre and Jules at left back before and indeed as Richards made that spot his own (initially he broke in as a midfielder, and then a winger).

Loads of youths missing. Like Pendlebury, Osorio, Dorsett, Collins.

Didn't include anyone who I wouldn't have as part of the squad, which unfortunately has to include 15-year-olds I've never seen play.

double d

by double d » 26 Mar 2018 06:36

I agree

double d

by double d » 26 Mar 2018 06:45

John Smith Leandro Bacuna is our best player and the squad should be built around him

:|

:lol:

Never heard such utter rubbish in my life, there are many better players here then him.

*checks op

Oh nevermind :roll:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Mar 2018 16:14

double d
John Smith Leandro Bacuna is our best player and the squad should be built around him

Never heard such utter rubbish in my life, there are many better players here then him.

*checks op

Care to list the players you think are better then him currently?

double d

by double d » 27 Mar 2018 16:56

John Smith
double d

*checks op

Kelly, Swift, Bodvarsson, Barrow, Moore, Gunter, richards, loader I could go on

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Mar 2018 17:12

double d
John Smith
double d

*checks op

Good lord.

You must go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2018 18:07

John Smith
double d
John Smith Care to list the players you think are better then him currently?

Good lord.

You must go.

TBF, I agree with one and arguably another couple might be considered more effective this season.

I'd say our team should be built around Moore, Bacuna and Barrow personally.