Far Canal

Re: Stam Gone

by Far Canal » 21 Mar 2018 15:52

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Mar 2018 15:58

Far Canal http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/11299007/paul-clement-and-steve-cotterill-contenders-for-reading-job

I can't believe for a second that we would hire Cotterill given he was sacked by one of our immediate rivals for being shit.

double d

by double d » 21 Mar 2018 15:58

Far Canal http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/11299007/paul-clement-and-steve-cotterill-contenders-for-reading-job

GOOD LORD NOT COTTERILL!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2018 16:02

Wouldn’t be best chuffed with Keizer either

Would take Clement out of those. Why is he a ‘fraud’ btw?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 21 Mar 2018 16:04

Probably the right decision in the circumstances, but I can’t help but feel the fans need to shoulder some of the blame for this season’s failings.

The vitriol Stam has received throughout the whol campaign has been absolutely disgusting. ‘Bald nonce’, ‘bald oxf*rd’, ‘dutch bastard’, some people should be ashamed of themselves. I would accept some of the abuse if it was exclusive to the 13-16 year old gang, but with some of this coming from grown adults - it’s beggars belief.

Following last years incredible season, it was always going to be tough for us to bounce back. We lost a large chunk of pre-season, and we lost the spine of our team. A comparable example would be how tricky we found things in the first few months after the Swansea loss (before the Russian’s non money came in).

What we needed at the start of the season was solidarity, but all the fans were desperate to do was turn. We had some mightily unfortunate results early on, which whilst sometimes self inflicted player wise, was not down to the manager/management.

The atmosphere amongst the keyboard warriors turned toxic, which in turn resulted in matchday atmospheres turning sour - the fans were chomping st the bit to have a moan. Let’s not forget that this is the fan base who booed following just our second home league loss of the season in 16/17.

The toxic atmosphere tangibly transferred onto the pitch, which resulted in players making further mistakes in key periods and areas.

Jaap is labelled ‘arrogant’ and a ‘fraud’ for having He audacity to question the supporters’ motivations for attending. He was right though. Fans wanted success yesterday, clubs like Reading can’t provide that unfortunately.

The fans that were so vocal in wanting Jaap our can have their moment. For the people who were lucky enough to encounter Jaap personally during his time here, I’m sure they will hold memories of an absolute gentle giant who had time the pleasure of working with him.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Mar 2018 16:06

Clement now 1/10

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2018 16:09

Don’t agree. You are putting far too much weight on social media nonsense. Every club has them, Reading are no special case

The fans weren’t massively enthusiastic (difficult to be considering the performances) but equally there was very little negative chanting etc. Most people I reckon, inc myself, genuinely wanted him to do well and respect him as a person

However the managerial and coaching performance this season has been awful. He was taking us down.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Mar 2018 16:10

WAZZOCK Probably the right decision in the circumstances, but I can’t help but feel the fans need to shoulder some of the blame for this season’s failings.

The vitriol Stam has received throughout the whol campaign has been absolutely disgusting. ‘Bald nonce’, ‘bald oxf*rd’, ‘dutch bastard’, some people should be ashamed of themselves. I would accept some of the abuse if it was exclusive to the 13-16 year old gang, but with some of this coming from grown adults - it’s beggars belief.

Following last years incredible season, it was always going to be tough for us to bounce back. We lost a large chunk of pre-season, and we lost the spine of our team. A comparable example would be how tricky we found things in the first few months after the Swansea loss (before the Russian’s non money came in).

What we needed at the start of the season was solidarity, but all the fans were desperate to do was turn. We had some mightily unfortunate results early on, which whilst sometimes self inflicted player wise, was not down to the manager/management.

The atmosphere amongst the keyboard warriors turned toxic, which in turn resulted in matchday atmospheres turning sour - the fans were chomping st the bit to have a moan. Let’s not forget that this is the fan base who booed following just our second home league loss of the season in 16/17.

The toxic atmosphere tangibly transferred onto the pitch, which resulted in players making further mistakes in key periods and areas.

Jaap is labelled ‘arrogant’ and a ‘fraud’ for having He audacity to question the supporters’ motivations for attending. He was right though. Fans wanted success yesterday, clubs like Reading can’t provide that unfortunately.

The fans that were so vocal in wanting Jaap our can have their moment. For the people who were lucky enough to encounter Jaap personally during his time here, I’m sure they will hold memories of an absolute gentle giant who had time the pleasure of working with him.

Surely you're trolling?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Mar 2018 16:14

The Guardian The Fiver isn’t one for courage. We’re usually too deep in our pit of despair to get involved in any of that caper, generally too afeared to emerge from our Tin-strewn bedsit for more than 10 minutes, lest we find ourselves in a place with no Tin. The outside world is a frightening place, you know: if you go out for too long, you might have to face terrors like muggers, stabbers, shooters and everyday human interaction.

So hats off to Reading, who have had the stones to announce that Jaap Stam has been given a culturally sensitive Dutch Do One-cycle and invited to pedal all the way back to Amsterdam. Results were poor, attendances thin, the cold hand of relegation on their shoulder – a change was needed.

The trouble was, finding a volunteer to pluck up the courage and shuffle down to Jaap’s office, P45 in hand, to tell him they were putting him in the big ‘You’re Not Our Manager Anymore’ bin, was understandably tricky. Word is one errand boy made it as far as the doorway before his soul was melted by Jaap’s terror stare, while another two simply burst with fear halfway down the corridor.

Finally they found a brave heart to deliver the news. “Majority shareholders, Mr Yongge Dai and Ms Xiu Li Dai, had wanted to give Jaap every opportunity to turn around what has been a difficult and challenging Championship campaign,” stammered a club suit, checking over their shoulder after every second word. “Jaap has not wavered in the time, effort and sheer determination he has put in to try to steer the team away from the position we find ourselves in. However, after careful consideration, the decision has been made that a change is now necessary.” As for Jaap: “We talked to each other in a good way and came to the conclusion that it would be better if the roads would separate,” he boomed, causing the suit to nod frantically and flinch a couple of times, mumbling something that sounded a lot like: “Please don’t hit my face.”

Reading, after managing one of the most curious promotion campaigns of all time last season when they came within a penalty of the Premier League despite not, at any point, at any stage, in any way, being any good, have come crashing back to the mean this term.

Three points off the relegation zone and with one win since the start of December, Stam had looked more and more like a haunted version of the robot from the cover of Queen’s News of the World album every week. Discussion now turns to who will replace him, and the cupboard looks bare. Steve Cotterill, inexplicably appointed by Birmingham then very explicably sacked, has been mentioned, as has Paul Clement, last seen dunking Swansea into the relegation quicksand before someone better dragged them out. But The Fiver reckons it knows the new man: it’s going to be Laurent Blanc, appointed in haste before the majority shareholders later admit that, without question, they made a mistake there.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 21 Mar 2018 16:17

WAZZOCK Probably the right decision in the circumstances, but I can’t help but feel the fans need to shoulder some of the blame for this season’s failings.

Afraid your name is suitably apt. This season has been a car crash from the start. Go back and have a close look at our preseason, was that set up for success? Behind close doors back to back friendlies in Holland? What about our first match of the season? A pitiful performance at QPR. Actually go back one game further, the play off final, can you say you walked away proud from there?

If anything I think our supporters have been more patient than every other club in this, or any other english, division would have been. No pitch invasion, no banners, no walk out, no boycott. Granted, all of these things were called for but none of them happened.

If you think Stam has been fired (which clearly he wasn't, he left by mutual consent) because of a bunch of 100 hobnobbers and about 500 tweeters instead of because of our frankly appalling performance this year then you need your head read.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 21 Mar 2018 16:19

Contrary to WAZZOCK's post, I think the supporters have been incredibly patient. There have been negative sounds on occasions, but poor performances have been met with more of a resigned shrug than outright hostility. The atmosphere has been dead rather than toxic. Those who have turned up have (mostly) stayed to the final whistle. It's true that the supporters haven't exactly got behind the team, but compared with what would have happened at most other Championship clubs in a similar situation, I think Stam and the players were treated rather well. I'm sure WAZZOCK is right - many others have said it - that Stam is a true gent, but I'm afraid that particular quality wasn't going to get us out of our current predicament.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Mar 2018 16:22

East Grinstead Royal Contrary to WAZZOCK's post, I think the supporters have been incredibly patient. There have been negative sounds on occasions, but poor performances have been met with more of a resigned shrug than outright hostility. The atmosphere has been dead rather than toxic. Those who have turned up have (mostly) stayed to the final whistle. It's true that the supporters haven't exactly got behind the team, but compared with what would have happened at most other Championship clubs in a similar situation, I think Stam and the players were treated rather well. I'm sure WAZZOCK is right - many others have said it - that Stam is a true gent, but I'm afraid that particular quality wasn't going to get us out of our current predicament.

I haven't seen one banner at a game. Any other club and there'd be all sort of shenanigans. We are really wet and middle class though.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 21 Mar 2018 16:29

The Mail thinks it's Clement.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nager.html

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2018 16:35

Lots of nice tweets from the players about Stam

Is a shame it didn’t work out this season

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Mar 2018 16:38

10539.4 Miles Away

Afraid your name is suitably apt. This season has been a car crash from the start. Go back and have a close look at our preseason, was that set up for success? Behind close doors back to back friendlies in Holland? What about our first match of the season? A pitiful performance at QPR. Actually go back one game further, the play off final, can you say you walked away proud from there?

If anything I think our supporters have been more patient than every other club in this, or any other english, division would have been. No pitch invasion, no banners, no walk out, no boycott. Granted, all of these things were called for but none of them happened.

If you think Stam has been fired (which clearly he wasn't, he left by mutual consent) because of a bunch of 100 hobnobbers and about 500 tweeters instead of because of our frankly appalling performance this year then you need your head read.

You've really fallen for the 'mutual consent' line? :shock: Initial GetReading news even suggested he had 'quit'. :shock: :shock:

As someone who has been involved in/precipitated numerous departures 'through mutual consent' I would suggest that the only things mutual were the agreement of the financial package, gagging clauses, media announcements (in normal life agreed references) and that Jaap would leave the building.

Someone precipitated Jaap's departure and I would suggest it was the owners. Reading between the lines of the club statement and taking on board Jaap's attitude and clear statements right up until the Wolves game would, I suggest confirm that.

I personally am really disappointed that it didn't work out. However, at this point his sacking was correct. He clearly couldn't find a way out of our dreadful downward spiral.

I'm grateful for what Jaap did for us last season, I think he has made some very good signings (yes, they've been some bad ones too, although I suspect some of them will come good) and done a lot to develop other players. I wish him and his family well.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Mar 2018 16:47

WAZZOCK The vitriol Stam has received throughout the whol campaign has been absolutely disgusting. ‘Bald nonce’, ‘bald oxf*rd’, ‘dutch bastard’, some people should be ashamed of themselves.
Whose been coming out with that crap, Name and shame!

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 21 Mar 2018 16:51

Forbury Lion
WAZZOCK The vitriol Stam has received throughout the whol campaign has been absolutely disgusting. ‘Bald nonce’, ‘bald oxf*rd’, ‘dutch bastard’, some people should be ashamed of themselves.
Whose been coming out with that crap, Name and shame!

Remember this individual doing so (seems his account has been deleted)?

https://twitter.com/lutonroyal1991/status/946023487243681792?s=21

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Mar 2018 16:56

Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Mar 2018 16:58

RoyalBlue
10539.4 Miles Away

You've really fallen for the 'mutual consent' line? :shock: Initial GetReading news even suggested he had 'quit'. :shock: :shock:

As someone who has been involved in/precipitated numerous departures 'through mutual consent' I would suggest that the only things mutual were the agreement of the financial package, gagging clauses, media announcements (in normal life agreed references) and that Jaap would leave the building.

Someone precipitated Jaap's departure and I would suggest it was the owners. Reading between the lines of the club statement and taking on board Jaap's attitude and clear statements right up until the Wolves game would, I suggest confirm that.

I personally am really disappointed that it didn't work out. However, at this point his sacking was correct. He clearly couldn't find a way out of our dreadful downward spiral.

I'm grateful for what Jaap did for us last season, I think he has made some very good signings (yes, they've been some bad ones too, although I suspect some of them will come good) and done a lot to develop other players. I wish him and his family well.

Good post. As was the previous one. We’ve been extremely patient.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 21 Mar 2018 17:00

LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

u ok hun?

355 posts