355 posts
Mr. Pharmacist

Re: Stam Gone

by Mr. Pharmacist » 21 Mar 2018 17:01

Hound Lots of nice tweets from the players about Stam

Is a shame it didn’t work out this season

Nice tweets don't butter parsnips.

They let him down badly this season.

TBH - I think 8K against Bolton and 6,700 against Forest had a lot to do with this. That must have really concentrated the owners minds.
Last edited by Mr. Pharmacist on 21 Mar 2018 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 21 Mar 2018 17:01

Sebastian the Red
LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

u ok hun?

Slightly hungover babe u? x

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Mar 2018 17:03

Only in football is there a clamour for managers who without exception are all available because they've been sacked previously for doing a sh*te job.

Looks like Paul Clement will get the job if you believe the 1/10 odds

Looks like another appointment with the excitement of a dog turd.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 21 Mar 2018 17:05

LWJ
Sebastian the Red
LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

u ok hun?

Slightly hungover babe u? x

Not so bad. It's been a long day working the 9-5, but you know how it is! xx

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 21 Mar 2018 17:07

I thought it quite restrained - especially when Jaap was basically calling the fans idiots for not buying into his dreary football

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2018 17:09

Gunny Fishcake Only in football is there a clamour for managers who without exception are all available because they've been sacked previously for doing a sh*te job.

Have to be realistic and look who is available

Whoever is chosen would undoubtedly have many people moan. It’d be a solid appointment. Decent contacts as well, would hopefully get a few interesting players in

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Mar 2018 17:18

The Reverend

I thought it quite restrained - especially when Jaap was basically calling the fans idiots for not buying into his dreary football

I think there's truth to both views.

The fans have been pretty patient, or perhaps apathetic and passive would be a better description, in that there's been little in the way of "Stam Out" chanting.

But there has been lots of mumbling and grumbling. Plenty of disparate boos and very little active support. Certainly beyond the first 10 minutes of a game. You can see the mood has been very much against Stam in general with many sharpening their knives from last season where they were unhappy but quiet because of results. And all this has been present from virtually the first kick of the season.

The fans certainly haven't helped. There's been bugger all backing of the team and lifting of the players, but equally there's been no real concerted push to force him out either, which *might* have seen him go earlier.

I'm kinda proud that there hasn't been banners and chanting, but also hugely disappointed at how quickly the dissatisfaction and discontent surfaced.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Mar 2018 17:20

Hound
Gunny Fishcake Only in football is there a clamour for managers who without exception are all available because they've been sacked previously for doing a sh*te job.

Have to be realistic and look who is available

Whoever is chosen would undoubtedly have many people moan. It’d be a solid appointment. Decent contacts as well, would hopefully get a few interesting players in

Deja vue ...aka Jaap Stam

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 17:24

Ascotexgunner Talksport mentioned the bloke Potter who manages some team called Ostriches in Scandanavia.....You know the one that beat Arse....
His odds have come in......Not sure what I think about that. :shock:

Yes please

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 17:26

Always sad to see a Reading manager sacked because it means we are doing badly.
Stam should have been sacked in early January though after that dire home defeat against Brum. It would have afforded the new manager the option of some wheeling and dealing in the transfer window.
Now with the rot set in the new man has a huge task on his hands.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Mar 2018 17:29

Apparently he was sacked now as they have finally sold out of the Jaap Stam scarves in the MegaStore

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 21 Mar 2018 17:46

Leeds fans had it right Jap stams a c

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 17:47

Fair point about calling for Stam out in September. That was unjustified. However as a fanbase we have been supportive. Just look at the recent games v Derby and Leeds. However too often this season we have sat in silence as the team have shown minimal attacking intent. It’s very difficult supporting a team when they don’t even register a single shot at goal as in the first half v Millwall.

Our net transfer spend was the third highest in the division in 2017. Yes we have had a lot of injuries but if you take a look at the messageboards for other Championship clubs you start to appreciate it’s the nature of this League. It’s a slog. It’s physical. It’s competitive. All teams have had injury crises. It’s not just us. Besides with the money spent don’t you think Stam has badly failed?

I also dont think decisions have gone against us. Just look at Fulham when their player was very harshly sent off in the first minute. Yet we still threw it away with a dreadful Van Den Berg pass. We have lost most games because we have defended so poorly and had few striking options. It was unforgivable to start the new season with just one fit striker. We all knew it was a big problem once Kermorgant was injured in the summer yet it wasn’t addressed.

It was also unacceptable the players were not match ready for the opening game of the season. They should have been. Ever since I have questioned our players fitness because we have conceded so many late goals which is never a good sign.

I hoped Stam would turn it around but the same mistakes have been made game after game. I wish him well but the time had long since passed for change. I just hope it’s not too late.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Mar 2018 18:01

double d
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth He only won that because Ribery and Robben decided to forget how to get a shot on target. Its not like he built that team in any way. He had nothing to lose so let luck, Drogba and the questionable decision to play Bertrand as a winger to lead him to undeserved victory.

But he won the Champions League yes?

So you are saying because he fluked his way to a lucky, undeserved CL win with a squad he inherited he is a great manager?

I'm saying he won the Champions League. Learn to read.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:12

To me the biggest mistake Stam made was not replacing Obita like for like. Left back is such an important position in the scheme of things and the non-replacement of Obita has been a running sore, painfully obvious.

Bit concerned about the reports of Clement's negative football, particularly at a time when we need bums and seats. His pedigree is pretty impressive though. Sacked from Derby when they were fifth but it seems the fans there were very unhappy about his style of play.

If it is him though, results will be the determinant as ever.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:23

TBM BMc in

Knew this would get mentioned. Would he be interested after his last sacking though? Deserves better than to have a possible relegation on his C.V so it's a no from me, even though I never wanted him to go either time he was sacked.

Definitely not celebrating at this news, we've still got to make the right appointment to stay up, but there is a bit of relief there. I've never really been Stam Out but was ready for him to go after Saturday even if it's a gamble bringing someone new in now. Bit surprised they've waited as long as this, thought he'd be gone by Monday at the latest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 18:37

Plenty of players have shown or are now conveying their sadness that Stam has gone. He definitely had not lost the dressing room.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:52

Zip Plenty of players have shown or are now conveying their sadness that Stam has gone. He definitely had not lost the dressing room.

When was the last time a player responded to the sacking of a manager by saying 'good riddance?' It's just PR.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Mar 2018 18:53

Zip Plenty of players have shown or are now conveying their sadness that Stam has gone. He definitely had not lost the dressing room.

What a load of bollocks.

What were you expecting them to say?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 18:55

Norfolk Royal

When was the last time a player responded to the sacking of a manager by saying 'good riddance?' It's just PR.

Moore saying he is “gutted”. Why do you think he joined Reading? I suspect those players that are happy a manager has gone keep quiet on social media rather than express their fake disappointment

355 posts