Stam Gone

355 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stam Gone

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 18:57

Old Man Andrews
Zip Plenty of players have shown or are now conveying their sadness that Stam has gone. He definitely had not lost the dressing room.

What a load of bollocks.

What were you expecting them to say?

God. I wish I knew it all like you. I wouldn’t expect them to say anything at all if they were happy he was gone. Still you know better.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 21 Mar 2018 18:59

Ascotexgunner Talksport mentioned the bloke Potter who manages some team called Ostriches in Scandanavia.....You know the one that beat Arse....
His odds have come in......Not sure what I think about that. :shock:

Interesting...read an interview with him around the time of that Arsenal tie and then thought some time after, didn't he have a loan spell with us at some point late 90s/early 00s?

And a quick check on wiki confirms he played 4 games for us in 1999.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Mar 2018 19:07

KC Royal
Ascotexgunner Talksport mentioned the bloke Potter who manages some team called Ostriches in Scandanavia.....You know the one that beat Arse....

Interesting...read an interview with him around the time of that Arsenal tie and then thought some time after, didn't he have a loan spell with us at some point late 90s/early 00s?

Really?.....I had no idea, don't remember him at all. Maybe there is something in it.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Mar 2018 19:08

Zip Now with the rot set in the new man has a huge task on his hands.

Why's that? The problem was never the player's, they are very talented, the problem was Stam. That's been the narrative, right? So, we have a 3pt cushion (4pts with GD). Eight games is plenty for a managerial 'bounce'. And if its Clement, who is vastly more experienced than Stam, not sure why the situation is so dire? (Or if it is, it was pretty dire when Stam took over too, when he made his debut as a manager, with us having finished 17th and 19th the two years prior). But yeah, I'm not really seeing all this narrative of how things are so dire for someone of Clement's (alleged) caliber with all these talented player's that we have.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 21 Mar 2018 19:22, edited 2 times in total.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 21 Mar 2018 19:17

Zip
LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

Fair point about calling for Stam out in September. That was unjustified. However as a fanbase we have been supportive. Just look at the recent games v Derby and Leeds. However too often this season we have sat in silence as the team have shown minimal attacking intent. It’s very difficult supporting a team when they don’t even register a single shot at goal as in the first half v Millwall.

Our net transfer spend was the third highest in the division in 2017. Yes we have had a lot of injuries but if you take a look at the messageboards for other Championship clubs you start to appreciate it’s the nature of this League. It’s a slog. It’s physical. It’s competitive. All teams have had injury crises. It’s not just us. Besides with the money spent don’t you think Stam has badly failed?

I also dont think decisions have gone against us. Just look at Fulham when their player was very harshly sent off in the first minute. Yet we still threw it away with a dreadful Van Den Berg pass. We have lost most games because we have defended so poorly and had few striking options. It was unforgivable to start the new season with just one fit striker. We all knew it was a big problem once Kermorgant was injured in the summer yet it wasn’t addressed.

It was also unacceptable the players were not match ready for the opening game of the season. They should have been. Ever since I have questioned our players fitness because we have conceded so many late goals which is never a good sign.

I hoped Stam would turn it around but the same mistakes have been made game after game. I wish him well but the time had long since passed for change. I just hope it’s not too late.

BIB - that's the thing I don't really understand. That was never a problem last season, in fact if there were late goals it generally seemed to be us who scored them. For me, our problems stem back to not having a proper pre-season, and Reid going with no club lined up. Do we know the reason why he left? Given that he'd been here for 2 years I imagine it knocked the players before the season had even started, especially as it took us a while to replace him by promoting Gilkes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 19:19

Denver Royal
Zip Now with the rot set in the new man has a huge task on his hands.

Why's that? The problem was never the player's, they are very talented, right? The problem was Stam. So, we have a 3pt cushion (4pts with GD). Eight games is plenty for a managerial 'bounce'. And if its Clement, who is vastly more experienced than Stam, not sure why the situation is so dire?

No. I think some on here over rate our players. Just 1 win in 18 is dire which suggests to me the players are now in a mindset where they don’t expect to win and nor do we. Stam was the main problem but the players are also culpable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 19:25

KC Royal
Zip
LWJ Those of you who think the negativity was solely on Twitter or this spackerboard are living in cuckoo land. There has been very little support for the club, especially at home, when the going got tough. I attended my first (and probably last) Star AGM in September where we had the pleasure of Jaap Stam being the guest speaker and taking questions from the crowd. The amount of negativity towards him and the team following the success the previous season was astonishing.

In reality we had a number of close games early on which we should have converted (Bristol and Fulham spring to mind) silly mistakes cost us 3 points across those two games, and poor finishing could have given us the maximum from them. Those two results so early on in the season could have changed our season. Or even looking later on in the season; Wolves at home. The only reason we didn't walk away with at least a point is because Ruddy showed us why he was an England goalkeeper during his career. His pointblank save was incredible. Cardiff at home, yeah we choked a two goal lead. We then hit the post with the last kick of the game. 2 inches to the left and we're suddenly top half and on a good bit of form going into the Christmas period. Incidentally we didn't win again until Burton away....... Don't even get me started on the amount of injuries as well. We've probably had the biggest injury list in the Championship throughout the year. People moaned about Stam's team choices we had to make 2 changes every game due to injuries at the beginning of the year!

There have been games where we have been poor and deserved to lose, but there's been a lot of games where we haven't but have lost. Every small decision has gone against us this year, and it's not been helped by the negative oxf*rd calling for #StamOut in September.

Fair point about calling for Stam out in September. That was unjustified. However as a fanbase we have been supportive. Just look at the recent games v Derby and Leeds. However too often this season we have sat in silence as the team have shown minimal attacking intent. It’s very difficult supporting a team when they don’t even register a single shot at goal as in the first half v Millwall.

Our net transfer spend was the third highest in the division in 2017. Yes we have had a lot of injuries but if you take a look at the messageboards for other Championship clubs you start to appreciate it’s the nature of this League. It’s a slog. It’s physical. It’s competitive. All teams have had injury crises. It’s not just us. Besides with the money spent don’t you think Stam has badly failed?

I also dont think decisions have gone against us. Just look at Fulham when their player was very harshly sent off in the first minute. Yet we still threw it away with a dreadful Van Den Berg pass. We have lost most games because we have defended so poorly and had few striking options. It was unforgivable to start the new season with just one fit striker. We all knew it was a big problem once Kermorgant was injured in the summer yet it wasn’t addressed.

It was also unacceptable the players were not match ready for the opening game of the season. They should have been. Ever since I have questioned our players fitness because we have conceded so many late goals which is never a good sign.

I hoped Stam would turn it around but the same mistakes have been made game after game. I wish him well but the time had long since passed for change. I just hope it’s not too late.

BIB - that's the thing I don't really understand. That was never a problem last season, in fact if there were late goals it generally seemed to be us who scored them. For me, our problems stem back to not having a proper pre-season, and Reid going with no club lined up. Do we know the reason why he left? Given that he'd been here for 2 years I imagine it knocked the players before the season had even started, especially as it took us a while to replace him by promoting Gilkes.

Stam made a mess of pre season. He even admitted the squad wasn’t ready which was poor. As for Reid I wish. I knew. It was all a bit odd.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 21 Mar 2018 19:28

Woodcote Royal :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Whatever division we're in next season, the real nightmare is over. :|

While Chris Gunter may be hiding in a broom cupboard crying his eyes out, I suspect most of the squad are doing cart wheels like the rest of us.

Now is the time to fill those blue seats again and to do our bit to keep us where we belong.

I have no issues with Japp the man and wish him well but this season has been as poor as I can remember and he should have gone months ago.

We need someone fresh until the end of the season and not one of Stam's tried and grossly under achieved coaching team stepping up.

Now looking forward to Good Friday!

Anyone who thinks the real nightmare is over is delusional. We need a team and squad built intelligently, instead of a fat cnut in a tight suit and cheap shades just chucking players in willy nilly. Yes a big problem has been dealt with, but bigger problems are still there in BT and Gourlay.

No manager worth their salt will come here and by not sacking BT, it's obvious that whoever comes in will have to dance to their tune.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Mar 2018 19:40

Ascotexgunner
KC Royal

Really?.....I had no idea, don't remember him at all. Maybe there is something in it.

out of all the managers mentioned, I'd probably take him over a good 75 % of them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Mar 2018 19:41

Old Man Andrews
Zip Plenty of players have shown or are now conveying their sadness that Stam has gone. He definitely had not lost the dressing room.

What a load of bollocks.

Maybe nothing if he'd lost the dressing room, which he obviously hadn't. The only thing he'd lost was the plot.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 21 Mar 2018 19:44

stealthpapes
Ascotexgunner
KC Royal

out of all the managers mentioned, I'd probably take him over a good 75 % of them.

Exactly the sort of appointment we should be making. Him or an up and comer from the lower leagues.

Sack BT and I'll be one happy man.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Mar 2018 19:46

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

What a load of bollocks.

Maybe nothing if he'd lost the dressing room, which he obviously hadn't. The only thing he'd lost was the plot.

It isn't obvious in the slightest. The players have to look to be sad the manager has gone and the majority of them don't run their own accounts any way.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Mar 2018 19:48

DELIGHTED.

Feel for Stam, always an honest gentleman in interviews who may do quite well somewhere else, but this is just brilliant news.

Well done owners!!!

Now let's get rid of some more of these clueless guys.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 21 Mar 2018 19:49

The club are producing a new "hair shirt strip for all the hand wringers" l will not be buying one!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Mar 2018 19:54

Awayawayaway
stealthpapes
Ascotexgunner

Exactly the sort of appointment we should be making. Him or an up and comer from the lower leagues.

I thought "no way" earlier, but I'm coming round to the idea. I was really impressed with how they handled Arsenal and briefly had them very worried. Their football seemed attractive and fearless. Your possibly right, that he could be the perfect fit. Just can't see it though.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Mar 2018 19:55

Mr. Pharmacist
Hound Lots of nice tweets from the players about Stam

Is a shame it didn’t work out this season

Nice tweets don't butter parsnips.

They let him down badly this season.

TBH - I think 8K against Bolton and 6,700 against Forest had a lot to do with this. That must have really concentrated the owners minds.

I still think those attendances were a mistake, as they were clearly based on actual attendance rather than tickets sold, as previous and subsequent games were.

Whether that mistake was intentional by someone behind the scenes with an agenda or purely accidental and coincidental is anybody's guess.

The tweets from the players show despite some comments on here, they liked Stam and felt they learned a lot from him. (Anybody saying they get others to run their Twitter accounts for them is having a laugh - this is not the PL, and the tweeting style of many clearly matches the players themselves).

Stam is a good coach. A manager though, that's a different ball-game.
What he couldn't seem to do was rouse the players from the funk that descended on them this season, in particular since the Cardiff draw - the belief that everything they tried would go wrong.

Not sure if it's a new manager some of the players need or a psychiatrist.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Mar 2018 19:59

I'd be more than happy with a caretaker who plays a brand of simple, direct, championship style battling hoofball if it achieved mid-table results and kept us up. Appoint a new manager in the summer

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 20:03

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
What a load of bollocks.

It isn't obvious in the slightest. The players have to look to be sad the manager has gone and the majority of them don't run their own accounts any way.

You appear to be the one talking bollocks. Jonathan Low says the players apparently loved working with Stam. If he had lost the dressing room we would have heard up about bust ups. There would have been signs of player dissent in the pitch. There was none of that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Mar 2018 20:05

Ascotexgunner
Awayawayaway
stealthpapes

I thought "no way" earlier, but I'm coming round to the idea. I was really impressed with how they handled Arsenal and briefly had them very worried. Their football seemed attractive and fearless. Your possibly right, that he could be the perfect fit. Just can't see it though.

He would be my choice. We need our new manager to have a positive mindset unhindered by previous failure. Potter fits the ball. It’s a huge risk but so is any other appointment.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Mar 2018 20:07

Zip
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Maybe nothing if he'd lost the dressing room, which he obviously hadn't. The only thing he'd lost was the plot.

You appear to be the one talking bollocks. Jonathan Low says the players apparently loved working with Stam. If he had lost the dressing room we would have heard up about bust ups. There would have been signs of player dissent in the pitch. There was none of that.

There was lots of it actually, try watching the games.

Any sentence that starts with "Jonathan Low said..." isn't credible I'm afraid. He knows less than you do about the goings on at the club.

355 posts