Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stam Gone

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Mar 2018 15:10

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
muirinho
No idea either, so I'd put it down to being "tired and emotional"

I'm probably one of the more pro-Stam elements on the board, I think he and the team were desperately unlucky at times this season, and very small margins would have made a big difference.

But, there comes a point when - even if what has gone before is not all your fault, if you don't know how to fix it, you've got to make way for somebody who can.

I just hope it's not too late.

One of the positives coming out of this, though, is what it shows about the owners.

They took action - so the conspiracy theories about them deliberately trying to run the club into the ground are shown to be hogwash
They didn't do it 3 months ago. I know this will upset some, but it shows that they aren't going to panic, and sack managers at the drop of a hat. This (a) makes Reading a better prospect for potential managers to come to, and (b) aids the stability of the club. We have plenty evidence of what happens with clubs with trigger-happy owners.
Also, it sounds like they've been checking out the availability (and interest in the job) of Paul Clement (and maybe others) before they made their move - rather than sacking first, and thinking later. (This may be why Stam didn't get the push a few weeks ago - they were working out who they could get instead)

In other words, they might actually know how to run a football club. It's almost as if they've done this before. Who knew?

Candidate for post of the year. Cap dothed! :wink:

Thou doth shirley mean thou 'doffed' thy cap?

I stand corrected but you got the gist so move along...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2018 16:06

Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Candidate for post of the year. Cap dothed! :wink:

Thou doth shirley mean thou 'doffed' thy cap?

Verily and with pleasure, one intended no offence or criticism.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Mar 2018 17:16

genome https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1819605/clement-over-vertrek-jaap-stam-dit-is-klote

Pelle Clement: "This is shit. I had not seen this coming after last weekend. That means that they have been in conversation for a long time to make this decision."

:lol:

I'm liking Pelle more and more. Starting to play pretty well and isn't frightened of a tackle!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Mar 2018 00:12

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal Thou doth shirley mean thou 'doffed' thy cap?

faggots

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Mar 2018 00:35

Hendo
genome https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1819605/clement-over-vertrek-jaap-stam-dit-is-klote

Pelle Clement: "This is shit. I had not seen this coming after last weekend. That means that they have been in conversation for a long time to make this decision."

I'm liking Pelle more and more. Starting to play pretty well and isn't frightened of a tackle!

Really? The times I’ve seen him he’s wandered around the pitch like an air crash survivor.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Mar 2018 00:37

leon
Hendo

Really? The times I’ve seen him hes wandered around the pitch like an air crash survivor.

What a beautifully macabre simile. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Mar 2018 07:05

leon
Hendo

Really? The times I’ve seen him he’s wandered around the pitch like an air crash survivor.

Never heard that before, but like it. Fair way to sum up half the team this year

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Mar 2018 07:50

leon
Hendo

Had a hand in Barrows goal v Derby and Bods goal v Leeds. Seem to remember him getting stuck in v Bolton when playing right back and he was the one that forced Jota(?) off v Wolves with a strong tackle.

Small steps, but I certainly think there is a player in there and has improved with consistent game time.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Mar 2018 08:18

He was very much a Stam player, I think Jaap had worked with him at Ajax and he came over because of him.

I can understand why he’s disappointed. It was the “This is shit” that raised the lol.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a chance with the new manager.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Mar 2018 10:14

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

faggots

:lol: Rude!

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 27 Mar 2018 10:12

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 10:14

The Reverend
Chris Gunter Jaap Stam is the best club manager I've worked for

Remind me who else has managed him

The Chronicle are an absolute joke. There is nothing in that article that is anywhere near fuming.

They wonder why the club hate them and they never get any scoops?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Mar 2018 11:29

Old Man Andrews
The Reverend

The Chronicle are an absolute joke. There is nothing in that article that is anywhere near fuming.

tbf, they recycle any old sh!t because the club seem to refuse them any sort of access, same as JLow who also gets forced to print rubbish to fill space.

There is nothing in Gunter's quotes that are in any way controversial or even particularly interesting. Would generally like to know what the players or Stam think went so wrong this year though after last year (beyond 'we let him down' etc). He may well be the best club manager Gunter has had in his opinion, but the management of the side this year was dismal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 11:36

Hound
Old Man Andrews

tbf, they recycle any old sh!t because the club seem to refuse them any sort of access, same as JLow who also gets forced to print rubbish to fill space.

There is nothing in Gunter's quotes that are in any way controversial or even particularly interesting. Would generally like to know what the players or Stam think went so wrong this year though after last year (beyond 'we let him down' etc). He may well be the best club manager Gunter has had in his opinion, but the management of the side this year was dismal.

I agree but at least with JLow he doesn't make things up on the most part, he normally just writes pointless articles which are completely non-descipt or offensive to anyone.

I think Gunter had a go at the Chronicle fairly recently on Twitter for sensationalising a story about him from what I recall? Might have been dreaming it though.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Mar 2018 12:45

muirinho
genome
Old Man Andrews Great to see the mask has slipped for Denver Royal and he is having a full post Stam breakdown. Lovely stuff.

I've read that reply to Muskrat about 3 times, and I still can't figure out what he's trying to say.

No idea either, so I'd put it down to being "tired and emotional"

I'm probably one of the more pro-Stam elements on the board, I think he and the team were desperately unlucky at times this season, and very small margins would have made a big difference.

But, there comes a point when - even if what has gone before is not all your fault, if you don't know how to fix it, you've got to make way for somebody who can.

I just hope it's not too late.

One of the positives coming out of this, though, is what it shows about the owners.

They took action - so the conspiracy theories about them deliberately trying to run the club into the ground are shown to be hogwash
They didn't do it 3 months ago. I know this will upset some, but it shows that they aren't going to panic, and sack managers at the drop of a hat. This (a) makes Reading a better prospect for potential managers to come to, and (b) aids the stability of the club. We have plenty evidence of what happens with clubs with trigger-happy owners.
Also, it sounds like they've been checking out the availability (and interest in the job) of Paul Clement (and maybe others) before they made their move - rather than sacking first, and thinking later. (This may be why Stam didn't get the push a few weeks ago - they were working out who they could get instead)

In other words, they might actually know how to run a football club. It's almost as if they've done this before. Who knew?

It also showed that the rumours we couldn't afford to sack Stam because of FFP were the crock of shit that they were.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Mar 2018 13:02

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

I agree but at least with JLow he doesn't make things up on the most part, he normally just writes pointless articles which are completely non-descipt or offensive to anyone.

I think Gunter had a go at the Chronicle fairly recently on Twitter for sensationalising a story about him from what I recall? Might have been dreaming it though.

No, he did. AND he did the same thing last year with JLow - headline misrepresenting what he said.

As to Gunter's actual comments - I think it shows that Stam is a good coach. Good coach is not necessarily good manager - but to be perfectly honest, unless a manager is absolutely dreadful, I don't think the players are that qualified to say whether he's good at managing or not. Whether you can get the overall picture of how your manager is doing in terms of tactics, strategy, substitutions, game management etc while you're out on the pitch, playing, is highly debatable. So his opinion isn't IMO worth a lot.

At least he (and Garath McCleary also) had the guts to front-up and say the players also had some responsibility though. Too many times players seem to act like managerial sackings have nothing whatsoever to do with them.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Mar 2018 13:15

The Reverend

Dave Jones (Cardiff), Harry Redknapp (Spurs), Billy Davies, Steve McClaren, Steve Cotterill (Nottingham Forest), Brian McDermott, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke (Reading).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Mar 2018 13:18

maffff It also showed that the rumours we couldn't afford to sack Stam because of FFP were the crock of shit that they were.

Well, Stam himself said that the club couldn't invest much in January because of FFP limits, so it's not a huge stretch to suggest his payout would affect that as well. I expect that the club have come to a deal with Stam to maybe spread his payout over a longer period instead of one lump sum, hence the "mutual consent" part of the club statement.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 27 Mar 2018 13:52

CountryRoyal
The Reverend

Dave Jones (Cardiff), Harry Redknapp (Spurs), Billy Davies, Steve McClaren, Steve Cotterill (Nottingham Forest), Brian McDermott, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke (Reading).

Cheers. Not that outlandish a thing to say then

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Mar 2018 14:20

None of those managers managed to turn him into the strong, reliable and focused defender that we need BUT there is hope as both Clement's dad and brother were full-backs (with dad being a particularly good one)so maybe Paul can work the oracle.
I won't be holding my breath because our central defenders got worse and worse under the guidance of one of the best centre-backs in world football but we can hope.

355 posts