Stam Gone

355 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stam Gone

by maffff » 27 Mar 2018 14:25

genome
maffff It also showed that the rumours we couldn't afford to sack Stam because of FFP were the crock of shit that they were.

Well, Stam himself said that the club couldn't invest much in January because of FFP limits, so it's not a huge stretch to suggest his payout would affect that as well. I expect that the club have come to a deal with Stam to maybe spread his payout over a longer period instead of one lump sum, hence the "mutual consent" part of the club statement.

Given the fact we were in profit last year, even with the fairly largish outlay this season we're not remotely close to falling foul of it.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Mar 2018 14:37

CountryRoyal
The Reverend
Chris Gunter Jaap Stam is the best club manager I've worked for

Remind me who else has managed him

Dave Jones (Cardiff), Harry Redknapp (Spurs), Billy Davies, Steve McClaren, Steve Cotterill (Nottingham Forest), Brian McDermott, Nigel Adkins, Steve Clarke (Reading).

I was going to add in the list of Wales managers, but noticed that Gunts had said "club manager". He must rate John Toshack higher then.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Mar 2018 14:39

maffff
genome
maffff It also showed that the rumours we couldn't afford to sack Stam because of FFP were the crock of shit that they were.

Well, Stam himself said that the club couldn't invest much in January because of FFP limits, so it's not a huge stretch to suggest his payout would affect that as well. I expect that the club have come to a deal with Stam to maybe spread his payout over a longer period instead of one lump sum, hence the "mutual consent" part of the club statement.

Given the fact we were in profit last year, even with the fairly largish outlay this season we're not remotely close to falling foul of it.

Quotes from Stam himself:

Jaap Stam Financial Fair Play doesn’t allow us to invest a lot of money.

You always want players who can add some extra quality, but teams are not going to sell their best players, or you need to pay a lot of money which we don’t have... which doesn’t allow us to invest a lot of money because of what happened in previous seasons.

That’s basically how it is right now and why we can’t invest and get players. We had this problem at the beginning of the season in the transfer market and we have it now. You can want a lot, but you basically can’t do a lot because of mismanagement in seasons before this.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Mar 2018 14:48

I find it bizarre that anyone could claim Stam is a good coach.

He seems a pretty intelligent guy so I’m sure he must be good at something but it sure as hell ain’t coaching footballers.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 27 Mar 2018 15:09

So Johnny Mad describes Stam as a 'sweet sweet man' who still had the players onside. As he quite rightly points out though, it's a results based business. That's right John, and we certainly didn't need a confectioner in charge of the lads :)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Mar 2018 15:44

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Hound
tbf, they recycle any old sh!t because the club seem to refuse them any sort of access, same as JLow who also gets forced to print rubbish to fill space.

There is nothing in Gunter's quotes that are in any way controversial or even particularly interesting. Would generally like to know what the players or Stam think went so wrong this year though after last year (beyond 'we let him down' etc). He may well be the best club manager Gunter has had in his opinion, but the management of the side this year was dismal.

I agree but at least with JLow he doesn't make things up on the most part, he normally just writes pointless articles which are completely non-descipt or offensive to anyone.

I think Gunter had a go at the Chronicle fairly recently on Twitter for sensationalising a story about him from what I recall? Might have been dreaming it though.

No, he did. AND he did the same thing last year with JLow - headline misrepresenting what he said.

Gunter really, really, does not like being clickbait. Is he even back in the UK yet?

Yet another article published without being present and yet another misleading headline...using quotes as a headline would be a better way to publish.

https://twitter.com/Chrisgunter16/statu ... 2859704320

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Mar 2018 15:45

The Cap So Johnny Mad describes Stam as a 'sweet sweet man' who still had the players onside. As he quite rightly points out though, it's a results based business. That's right John, and we certainly didn't need a confectioner in charge of the lads :)

saw that. Sweet man who the players loved. Not what I expected when Stam took over.

Going to stick with my feeling that Stam was just too soft on them this season. Inc playing experienced players for far too long despite some dreadful performances (Aluko, McShane, Yann, Joey esp)

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Mar 2018 17:43

genome
maffff
genome

You always want players who can add some extra quality, but teams are not going to sell their best players, or you need to pay a lot of money which we don’t have... which doesn’t allow us to invest a lot of money because of what happened in previous seasons.

That’s basically how it is right now and why we can’t invest and get players. We had this problem at the beginning of the season in the transfer market and we have it now. You can want a lot, but you basically can’t do a lot because of mismanagement in seasons before this.

I can't see how given the last two years figures the owners would be keeping us at or borderline 100% against the edge of FFP.

With the profit last year, it's more likely we're trying to create as much room to spend in future.

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2018 17:54

maffff

I can't see how given the last two years figures the owners would be keeping us at or borderline 100% against the edge of FFP.

With the profit last year, it's more likely we're trying to create as much room to spend in future.

I would be willing to wager this is exactly why they haven't spent much in January because they'll be planning to spend significantly more than we ever have in this summer transfer window.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Mar 2018 17:57

maffff
genome
maffff

We spent a lot this year, and will have drastically reduced our revenue with falling attendences and reduced TV appearances, not to mention not getting the entire Wembley gate money.

As FFP works in three year cycles and we made a pretty big loss the year before last (iirc) we could be pushing the limits currently despite a profit last year.

In essence though I think it was a comment on just how much we'd have to spend to get the targets we wanted rather than that we had no money.

The previous mismanagement comment also seems less bad in retrospect knowing we made a profit under Stam last year.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 27 Mar 2018 18:21

"Jaap deserved a lot better," Gunter told BBC Radio Wales. "It's a real blow that a change has been made".
"Jaap Stam is the best club manager I've worked for," added Gunter. "The things he did for the club, the squad and for players personally were really refreshing.

Great sentiments chris but if he didn't lose the dressing room (dubious) he certainly lost the fan base, and why did he say stuff like "the players aren't doing what I ask them", "we lack confidence" ... :roll:

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 27 Mar 2018 18:37

Longhorn1970 "Jaap deserved a lot better," Gunter told BBC Radio Wales. "It's a real blow that a change has been made".
"Jaap Stam is the best club manager I've worked for," added Gunter. "The things he did for the club, the squad and for players personally were really refreshing.

Great sentiments chris but if he didn't lose the dressing room (dubious) he certainly lost the fan base, and why did he say stuff like "the players aren't doing what I ask them", "we lack confidence" ... :roll:

I agree

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Mar 2018 21:06

Gunter is right to say the players let Stam down with abject performance after abject performance. However this was his squad with the majority bought during his time in charge. Stam was given every chance to turn things around. It was clear he wasn’t going to be able to do so.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Mar 2018 21:13

Zip Stam was given every chance to turn things around. It was clear he wasn’t going to be able to do so.

We'll see in the next eight games whether there's a core team in this squad that can deliver. Too many individual mistakes / bad decisions have cost us dearly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Mar 2018 21:19

Lower West
Zip Stam was given every chance to turn things around. It was clear he wasn’t going to be able to do so.

We'll see in the next eight games whether there's a core team in this squad that can deliver. Too many individual mistakes / bad decisions have cost us dearly.

Yep. It starts on Friday which I think is our most important game of the season. Not quite a must win game but certainly a game we have to get something from.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Mar 2018 03:42

Longhorn1970 "Jaap deserved a lot better," Gunter told BBC Radio Wales. "It's a real blow that a change has been made".

Quite. The fact of the matter is either Stam was shit or the players are shit. If Gunter thinks Stam was great then I suggest he urges his fellow players and himself to do the right thing and find a new club a division or two lower.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Mar 2018 10:00

Snowflake Royal
maffff
genome

We spent a lot this year, and will have drastically reduced our revenue with falling attendences and reduced TV appearances, not to mention not getting the entire Wembley gate money.

As FFP works in three year cycles and we made a pretty big loss the year before last (iirc) we could be pushing the limits currently despite a profit last year.

In essence though I think it was a comment on just how much we'd have to spend to get the targets we wanted rather than that we had no money.

The previous mismanagement comment also seems less bad in retrospect knowing we made a profit under Stam last year.

Also the not insignificant factor of this being the first without parachute payments so that's an £8m shortfall straightaway.

My feeling is we took a gamble in the summer off the back of the Wembley near miss to go one better which was admirable and probably made sense but it obviously hasn't worked out..

I suspect rather than simply a case of keeping their powder dry for next season, the lack of spending in January is an indication that the close season won't see a repeat of last summer's outlay even if we are still in the Championship.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Mar 2018 10:21

I think spending the sort of money we did has shown itself not to be any real measure of success either. I'd be far more interested in bringing through some of the players we have in the U23. The squad is far too bloated as it is.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Mar 2018 10:28

Absolutely and I wouldn't be surprised if the size of the squad isn't a factor towards some of our injury woes this season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Mar 2018 10:32

maffff
genome
maffff

As others have said. FFP is calculated over a number of seasons, so even though we made a profit last year we're not necessarily in the green just yet.

355 posts